• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder when the patch is gonna hit Xbox. I still had Vertigo on a character.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Anyone know if I can transfer my save from epic on my PC to my steamdeck?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Right shoulder button manually reloads guns.

Took me waaay too long to figure that out.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
Its official! I am terrible at this game. I just failed 5 tries at the first boss at level 40!

Ohh well back to grinding, at least I am having a good time.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Its official! I am terrible at this game. I just failed 5 tries at the first boss at level 40!

Ohh well back to grinding, at least I am having a good time.

I just tried it at level 30 something and was like LOL wut. I think I had taken 5-10% of his life off after a minute or so of "fighting" and getting my ass handed to me! I guess I need some more levels/skills :)

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I just tried it at level 30 something and was like LOL wut. I think I had taken 5-10% of his life off after a minute or so of "fighting" and getting my ass handed to me! I guess I need some more levels/skills :)
I can get him down to about 50% health, then he changes patteren and my health is all worn thin.
I am gonna come back at level 50 something.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I finished Poison Lake before I found the Sun Lantern. That area was a nightmare and took me hours to finally get through it. Much easier with the lantern ... sigh.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
EVERY time I have a class and some upgrades I feel really happy with and finally feel like I have a grasp of things, I like instantly lose that character in some insane dumb way. So frustrating.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Man, fuck the Sun Tower. Such a pain in the ass to go up and then the boss sucks! Every boss up till this one had an element of 'well, I just have to plan it better, play better' but this jerk is just a bullet hell!

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Man, fuck the Sun Tower. Such a pain in the ass to go up and then the boss sucks! Every boss up till this one had an element of 'well, I just have to plan it better, play better' but this jerk is just a bullet hell!

Just to make sure, don't forget you can lock the tower. There's a teleport right near the boss so you don't need to climb up every single time, just imagining that is hell honestly lol

There's a class that trivializes that boss Bard

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

The perk where your character is tiny is OP on this boss. All the blue bullets go over characters head and I'd you get spacing the ones from bottom also won't hit you either. Then only thing is dodging other attacks

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Im at the Phirion Lake Boss. Fucker has so much HP I dont know what to do but mindlessly grind gold runs. Kinda ruined the pacing. Might dabble the in house rule settings.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I've only waited until I had really good loadouts before attempting a boss, but I've beaten the first two first try so far thanks to RNG. (Though I beat the first boss with like 1 HP left.) A far cry from the first game where I don't think I beat a single boss. Though I know it's only going to get harder from here.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
After being stuck for so long against the first boss, I've now managed to beat the first three and I'm having a blast. Once you get the hang of how each class works and plays and you get enough upgrades, things become a lot smoother.

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't care for some of the classes, it is really impressive how different they play. I'm around level 100 and have killed 2 bosses and have the double jump heirloom. Scars I can't do anything with at all so hoping the handicaps build up to take care of my personal deficiencies.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played 2 yet, in fact I only just beat the first Rogue Legacy today for the very first time.

Quick question... is the music in 2 as wonderful as the first game? It was genuinely one aspect I wasn't prepared for in terms of how utterly amazing that OST is:

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I've beaten 3 bosses now but I can't kill the boss in the Stygian Study. I think ranged weapons are the only effective weapons against it.

Any advice? Just grind gold and level up?

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten 3 bosses now but I can't kill the boss in the Stygian Study. I think ranged weapons are the only effective weapons against it.

Any advice? Just grind gold and level up?

I struggled a ton, but eventually won with cook. Leveling helps, sure, but also there is a ton of up time and every move except their bullet hell fire spam is easy to dodge. Just remember to spam your magic for easy damage and not be capped off at all, ever, as that is throwing away a ton of dps. There is no global cool down and rarely a significant animation so there is no opportunity cost to throwing off magic. That's way different than most games.
There is like 90% uptime for melee damage once you know the fight.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm so stuck at the last boss.
How I beat him was really understanding his patterns. Once I got his patterns down, I focused solely on my character on screen and not his. I could see the his colors change and move set in my peripheral but I didn't fully look at him at all. It's not like Elden Ring or the fight right before the last boss where you have to constantly keep your eyes on them.

Even when I had his patterns down, he was still kicking my ass because I would hesitate before committing to a button press. I removed that hesitation by not looking directly at him. I dashed in and out when attacking mostly keeping my distance if I could.

Last edited:

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
I just beat it at. 25~ hours. It was a fun game, but I have no desire to engage with the NG+ mode. The reviews were crazy inflated. It's a good game, but no where near the quality of Salt & Sanctuary, Dead Cells, Isaac, or Hades.

The game is wide but not deep. It's cool that there so many classes, but there's not a lot of depth in how they play, except the bard. Some of the systems in the game are clearly not designed to be useful until NG+ like the into equipment system, which was practically useless compared to runes. Also for all the shit they crammed in the game there's surprisingly few relics (the randomized items you find that give you abilities on runs-- the heart of most roguelites). I think there were maybe 15 or something and half of them were terrible.

I imagine this game will age much like RL1 for me. A game I had fun with at the time and the promptly forgot so thoroughly I actually couldn't remember how it played or any of the enemies/bosses by the time the sequel came out.

PS. If anyone is struggling with the game, Duelist is by far the best class to the point that it isn't even close. At least before all NG+ shenanigans kick in.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I beat the fourth boss last night. Really enjoying myself. Might be able to finish next weekend!

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Had an insane run yesterday.

I was playing Barbarian, I don't really like the class but it was the only one with some extra gold traits. It was a pretty boring game until I found the icarus wings relic pretty early in the game...people that played a bit can see where this is going...

The barbarian jump attack spins his axe until he hits the floor, with the wings relic I could fly and keep spinning non stop...it was insane!

The relic makes you take like 70% more damage but that wouldn't be a problem except that I had a trait where every killed enemy dropped a bomb above their head where I usually would be so I had to dodge every single enemy I killed lol

To make things even more insane I found that relic that increases your attacking power 100% but gives you a 2 second cooldown between attacks...not that it mattered to me because I never stopped spinning lmao

I still didn't kill all the bosses but I managed to beat the fourth one and raked more than 75K gold and a few thousand iron and blood as well

This game is crazy

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't click with the barbarian. The air attack is so weak and so many enemies are out of range of a strong standing attack. And the massive delay after attacking feels terrible. I know you're supposed to dash-cancel everything, I just can't get used to it.

And the shout talent! It's useful, but I *hate* how it stays on cooldown until you take a hit.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I haven't played 2 yet, in fact I only just beat the first Rogue Legacy today for the very first time.

Quick question... is the music in 2 as wonderful as the first game? It was genuinely one aspect I wasn't prepared for in terms of how utterly amazing that OST is:

It's ok. Not as memorable OST (or intro sequence) as the first game in my opinion. Besides that, the sequel feels better in every way.
I just don't click with the barbarian. The air attack is so weak and so many enemies are out of range of a strong standing attack. And the massive delay after attacking feels terrible. I know you're supposed to dash-cancel everything, I just can't get used to it.

And the shout talent! It's useful, but I *hate* how it stays on cooldown until you take a hit.
There is potential in the Barbarian, when getting relics that premieres crit hits. Not among my favourite classes either though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I got a little stuck in the fifth area, so I'm taking a short break. I did get around to playing with the assassin, and that was surprisingly good in the Lamech challenge room.

And in case anyone on the fence is reading, the 20% launch discount runs out in about 8 hours (or Steam "Standard Update Time" -1).

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I can't stop playing this game... I'm 5 bosses deep at this point and I think my Steam clock is up over 30 hours. I still think I prefer the overall feel of Dead Cells, but they do a ton right here. I like the harder hitting classes, Barbarian and Boxer are probably my most played so far.

Had an insane run yesterday.

I was playing Barbarian, I don't really like the class but it was the only one with some extra gold traits. It was a pretty boring game until I found the icarus wings relic pretty early in the game...people that played a bit can see where this is going...

The barbarian jump attack spins his axe until he hits the floor, with the wings relic I could fly and keep spinning non stop...it was insane!

The relic makes you take like 70% more damage but that wouldn't be a problem except that I had a trait where every killed enemy dropped a bomb above their head where I usually would be so I had to dodge every single enemy I killed lol

To make things even more insane I found that relic that increases your attacking power 100% but gives you a 2 second cooldown between attacks...not that it mattered to me because I never stopped spinning lmao

I still didn't kill all the bosses but I managed to beat the fourth one and raked more than 75K gold and a few thousand iron and blood as well

This game is crazy
Wow, I hadn't considered the 100% bonus power relic in the context of that Barbarian technique. That would be devastating!

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
barbarian with health back on crits relic is also a broken build, and so much fun.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
PS. If anyone is struggling with the game, Duelist is by far the best class to the point that it isn't even close. At least before all NG+ shenanigans kick in.

I don't agree with some of your post, as in I personally find RL2 one of the most engaging roguelites on console, but this part is legit.

I was struggling with a boss for some time until I had a fairly standard Duelist roll and then just annihilated it while taking hardly any damage. It's a very well balanced class, though perhaps not the most fun.

EDIT:

barbarian with health back on crits relic is also a broken build, and so much fun.

I found the same with Dragon Lancer. Each charged attack is a crit and you just end up with constantly resupplying health. Falls apart a bit on bosses though.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
I don't agree with some of your post, as in I personally find RL2 one of the most engaging roguelites on console, but this part is legit.

I was struggling with a boss for some time until I had a fairly standard Duelist roll and then just annihilated it while taking hardly any damage. It's a very well balanced class, though perhaps not the most fun.

After you play the Duelist suddenly a handful of the offensive classes in the game no longer make sense. Like the Ronin, another high physical damage archetype. Duelist outdamages the Ronin, but also has twice the health pool, and a much much better talent. Why does Ronin exist?

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I found the same with Dragon Lancer. Each charged attack is a crit and you just end up with constantly resupplying health. Falls apart a bit on bosses though.

One thing that I noticed that's different from Rogue 1 (due to more variety) is that some classes and builds are fantastic at mobs but terrible for bosses and vice versa.

I think they want you to explore with certain builds, then use the architect to finish off bosses with another build. Would explain why the bosses are much harder than in Rogue 1.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
If I keep running around Kerguelen plateau will I eventually get all of the Sanguine armor or do I need to go elsewhere?

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
Finished NG+5 and the repetition is starting to get to me a bit. After reading the last few pages, I agree, jobs are not made equal. I end up always playing Knight, Valkyrie, Barbarian and Duelist… The last being by far the best one. Duelist with double boxing bells is madness! Past new game + 1 I barely played the other classes since they're just outclassed.

The burdens to make zones and bosses harder sure do just that. They made the effort to change some big things here and there but in the end, I kinda wish there were alternate versions of each zones or something to make it a little more different from run to run.

For now I think I'm done but I still loved it very much. I might push to NG+ 10 and beyond and some point but for now I need a break :)

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
I hit my repetition limit at ng+2 but I really loved my time with the game. Duelist and Knight were by far the best classes for me.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Defeated the final boss last night. With the boxer class of all things, damage was through the floor compared to the other classes but the ability to evade attacks by just walking through the boss gave them the edge (plus I managed to luck out and get a descendant that had the 'you have double health but can't heal' trait, perfect for boss fights). It's a positive sign to the game as a whole that I almost (barbarian tackled two of them) used a new class for each of the bosses and certainly had to rethink my strategy each time. Now onto new game plus.