• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear. When you say it detracts from your personal sense of pride and accomplishment-- Do you mean that if you used it would or that it's existence and the fact that other people can use it does?

It's complicated but also not a huge deal either since we're talking about a video game. But it does deflate my personal sense of accomplishment a tad when devs create gameplay systems and then just throw in an option to easily circumvent those systems and negate them (ie. Control's "god mode" is another recent example).

I'm all for easy\story modes, I just think they should be a separate mode that you select up front or one that you change to mid-game but can't change back to a harder difficulty. Being able to tailer gameplay systems on the fly as needed just always seemed counter intuitive to some genres...Rougue-lites being one of them.

I like games for the more competitive aspect of them (high scores, beating a challenge, etc...) so that's where I'm coming from. I'm still enjoying RL2 and have enough willpower not to enable those settings but in the back of mind there's an illogical thought that a victory in this game doesn't mean much since there's basically a "win" button 1 menu away.

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
It's complicated but also not a huge deal either since we're talking about a video game. But it does deflate my personal sense of accomplishment a tad when devs create gameplay systems and then just throw in an option to easily circumvent those systems and negate them (ie. Control's "god mode" is another recent example).

I'm all for easy\story modes, I just think they should be a separate mode that you select up front or one that you change to mid-game but can't change back to a harder difficulty. Being able to tailer gameplay systems on the fly as needed just always seemed counter intuitive to some genres...Rougue-lites being one of them.

I like games for the more competitive aspect of them (high scores, beating a challenge, etc...) so that's where I'm coming from. I'm still enjoying RL2 and have enough willpower not to enable those settings but in the back of mind there's an illogical thought that a victory in this game doesn't mean much since there's basically a "win" button 1 menu away.
Inversely, and I promise I'm asking just to understand your perspective better, does the fact that someone can level up in a Souls game diminish the accomplishment of a Soul Level 1 run?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think of this game and Spelunky in similar ways. The first games, I liked Spelunky's art style quite a bit more than Rogue Legacy's. They both redid their respective art styles for their second games, but I hate Spelunky 2's art style, to the point that I only played a couple hours of the game despite spending well over 100 hours on Spelunky 1. Rogue Legacy 2, though, has a gorgeous art style. They did a fantastic job. This is a beautiful game.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these traits are hilarious. So much was added compared to the first one, really outdid themselves!

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's hilarious to have put 60+ hours into this, only to now go achievement hunting.

I just walked into the rune shop and triggered the achievement for buying all the runes.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the barbarian classic the best, still boxer a close second though it feels a bit nerfed from EA. Haven't tried the last two that they added with the full release.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Inversely, and I promise I'm asking just to understand your perspective better, does the fact that someone can level up in a Souls game diminish the accomplishment of a Soul Level 1 run?

Leveling up is a gameplay mechanic of the Souls games and a means to improve your character, similar to RL2's persistent upgrades. Enabling cheats or going into a menu to turn off gameplay systems in the game is not a gameplay mechanic.

How someone else plays a single player game has no effect on my enjoyment of a game. I know that on the surface that seems to go a little against my overall point, but Souls games...especially Elden Ring, feel like it's much more open in how it's meant to be played. You also still have to work to make the game easier and not just hit an "invincibility" button in the menu.

I like challenges but that doesn't mean I'm particularly great at games and I'm certainly not a hardcore SL1 only type person. I beat Elden Ring by leveling up, using summons and ashes...but those are systems built into the game as part of the gameplay.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020

I think you recognize that the thought is illogical/irrational. Emotions are emotions-- you can't control that you feel it, but you can control how you respond to it, which you seem to be doing successfully, so good on you! The trade off here is not having those features which would make your irrational feelings go away, but make the game less accessible to others who want those features.

Interestingly, I have a different issue, where I won't use options like this even if I should, lol. Like I never used the summons in Elden Ring, because I felt I was diminishing my experience with the boss fights, even though it was a clearly intended feature baked into the game.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I think you recognize that the thought is illogical/irrational. Emotions are emotions-- you can't control that you feel it, but you can control how you respond to it, which you seem to be doing successfully, so good on you! The trade off here is not having those features which would make your irrational feelings go away, but make the game less accessible to others who want those features.

Interestingly, I have a different issue, where I won't use options like this even if I should, lol. Like I never used the summons in Elden Ring, because I felt I was diminishing my experience with the boss fights, even though it was a clearly intended feature baked into the game.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It's a minor dilemma for me and in this case a real first world problem.

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
Leveling up is a gameplay mechanic of the Souls games and a means to improve your character, similar to RL2's persistent upgrades. Enabling cheats or going into a menu to turn off gameplay systems in the game is not a gameplay mechanic.

How someone else plays a single player game has no effect on my enjoyment of a game. I know that on the surface that seems to go a little against my overall point, but Souls games...especially Elden Ring, feel like it's much more open in how it's meant to be played. You also still have to work to make the game easier and not just hit an "invincibility" button in the menu.

I like challenges but that doesn't mean I'm particularly great at games and I'm certainly not a hardcore SL1 only type person. I beat Elden Ring by leveling up, using summons and ashes...but those are systems built into the game as part of the gameplay.
Thanks for the thought out response, just getting my head around your perspective :)

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious to have put 60+ hours into this, only to now go achievement hunting.

I just walked into the rune shop and triggered the achievement for buying all the runes.

How does the achievement list look to you, as someone who's played a lot already? Anything stand out as really hard / grindy ?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

this sounds like the people crying about spirit summons in Elden Ring, and then when we say "so don't use them?" they go "but they're there!"

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
this sounds like the people crying about spirit summons in Elden Ring, and then when we say "so don't use them?" they go "but they're there!"

I can see why you would say that but it's not really the same. People are different and I'm all about using gameplay mechanics to cheese stuff (in a non-glitchy way) in a game if necessary, but I actively avoid using glitches, cheats or options to completely disable gameplay mechanics.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Theres an NPC that can lock down the map for you so it always stays the same. Eww.

Getting a random layout is half the fun for me. Like going into each run fresh.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I can see why you would say that but it's not really the same. People are different and I'm all about using gameplay mechanics to cheese stuff (in a non-glitchy way) in a game if necessary, but I actively avoid using glitches, cheats or options to completely disable gameplay mechanics.
Does Rogue Legacy 2 disable achievements if you enable any cheats?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any Xbox timed exclusives besides Cuphead that haven't ended up on Game Pass before long?

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Theres an NPC that can lock down the map for you so it always stays the same. Eww.

Getting a random layout is half the fun for me. Like going into each run fresh.
I say locking the map is better when you want to beeline to the boss door without risking losing health searching for it again

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if higher armor provides an overall damage reduction, or is it only relevant when using a shield?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Is there any penalty to this? I get making games more accessible and I know I'll get slammed for this here, but adding easy toggles to remove any challenge just feels like it negates the point of the game, especially in a rogue-lite where play more to upgrade your stats.
So don't use them. That's the beauty of options, especially ones tucked away in menus.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Overall damage reduction, but by default it can only mitigate up to 35% of incoming damage. There's a rune that can increase this block cap.

Exactly what I was looking to find out! Thanks. Does it detail this somewhere in the game or is it a thing you'd only find in the wiki? Haven't extensively crawled through all menus, but something about armor and a shield stat came up at the blacksmith, and it was unclear to me at a glance.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Exactly what I was looking to find out! Thanks. Does it detail this somewhere in the game or is it a thing you'd only find in the wiki? Haven't extensively crawled through all menus, but something about armor and a shield stat came up at the blacksmith, and it was unclear to me at a glance.

The glossary explains most of those kinds of mechanics. The entry about armor is on the right side, down in the lexicon section:

qb8yEJa.png

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So it turns out selecting a new hero with the Vertigo trait was a huge mistake...

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Have there been any Xbox timed exclusives besides Cuphead that haven't ended up on Game Pass before long?
Serious question. Is this a paid exclusive or was it simply the devs choice of porting to Xbox first because of how easy it is with limited resources?

I've been playing the heck out of this game. I missed the first one so I'll go back and play that one after.

Zep

Banned
Jul 12, 2021
Serious question. Is this a paid exclusive or was it simply the devs choice of porting to Xbox first because of how easy it is with limited resources?

I've been playing the heck out of this game. I missed the first one so I'll go back and play that one after.
What's funny is the original game hit Playstation first, console wise. This could be another deaths door situation…Microsoft has been on top of getting a lot of timed releases of good indie titles this gen.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the rocket boxing gloves are fucking useless. So many situations you just straight up have to take damage to progress.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It is absolutely a great addition for that reason, among others. It's not like you'd be keeping the same map permanently, it seems foolish to not realize the benefits
I could have sworn you could lock the map in the first one too, but it's also been years since I've played it and I could be conflating it with the myriad roguelites I've played since then.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
This game is fantastic. The puns on all the classes were great as I unlocked them.

My favourite class is probably Duelist as it's so smooth and has lots of utility. Ha Ha! Have at thee!

Second to Barbarian once you get multi jumps and can be a whirling death machine along with dot stacks.

Third to the Knight for just being a solid bro.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I could have sworn you could lock the map in the first one too, but it's also been years since I've played it and I could be conflating it with the myriad roguelites I've played since then.

Yeah, pretty sure it was now that you mention it. I haven't played the first one in almost a decade now either I think.

Now that it's officially out I need to sink some time into it. When I got my steam deck a few weeks back, I messed around with it for an hour or so. I was a little tripped up by the controls, specifically the air dashing/twirling moves and how they were laid out with the concurrent moveset. I assume that hasn't changed but I barely gave it time to set in.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I've been at it for 3 hours. Barbarian is my fave so far with the auto-crit while standing. I only rolled the archer once but they seem pretty powerful picking off enemies before they can start an attack.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a such a gosh dang good time. I love how all the classes are way more distinct now. They actually feel like their own thing rather than mildly different flavors of the same hero type.

I'm surprised there's no OT for this game

I had the same thought!

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
I really liked the first game and now I'm loving this but I was getting frustrated with keep running into enemies as my coordination is all to shit though but they even thought of that in the house rules. So I'm now just plodding away getting my arse kicked in other ways but I don't mind that.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the first game and now I'm loving this but I was getting frustrated with keep running into enemies as my coordination is all to shit though but they even thought of that in the house rules. So I'm now just plodding away getting my arse kicked in other ways but I don't mind that.

Yeah, I turned off contact damage fairly soon after starting (and upped enemy damage and HP to 150% to compensate). Idk, there's something I've never really liked about contact damage in action-platformer games where the enemies already have all kinds of different attacks, many of them ranged. It just feels a bit much, somehow. Was very happy to see the option for it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Yeah, I turned off contact damage fairly soon after starting (and upped enemy damage and HP to 150% to compensate). Idk, there's something I've never really liked about contact damage in action-platformer games where the enemies already have all kinds of different attacks, many of them ranged. It just feels a bit much, somehow. Was very happy to see the option for it.

Oh thats a good idea i might do that...

Personally i would have made that there's no contact damage but only when you dash