• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Bought the original on pc and vita and played 200+ hours, absolutely loved it. Will get this on pc and hopefully Switch in future, I actually really like the new artstyle - I know the move from pixel art to this more cartoony style is controversial.
It won't be controversial once people play it. The visuals are absolutely fantastic.

ebugg

Nov 3, 2018
ive put a hundred hours into RL2 so far... really great game. had more content than the original game not too long after it released on EA. looking forward to the hard reset.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I've put 68 hours into the Early Access version. It's a very good game already, and a step above the original. There's a nice variety of character classes and the gameplay is smooth-as-butter. I think those who waited around for the full release will be pleased.
I really enjoyed the grind in the first game.

Does this one tap into that same sort of incremental upgrade system that makes you feel more powerful inch by inch?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Played the Early Access at launch for one session and dropped it. Didn't wanna burn out on the game before release. With only 2 hours into the game at launch the game didn't ignite the same spark in me that the original did but I'm very excited to see if the full release changes my thoughts.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It's really good. I got it for cheap with one of those epic coupons in Early Access. People who enjoyed the original are in for a treat I think!

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really curious to see impressions from someone who didn't like or understand the first game at all.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I played a ton of Rogue Legacy on my Vita. I'd bet it's my most played game. Shame I won't be able to continue there, but Switch might be acceptible. Just feels like a handheld game to me.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Loved up until they added the underground area and stopped playing.

Giving her a go again right now but not looking forward to getting back down there, it just wasn't a fun area to play, at all.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I really enjoyed the grind in the first game.

Does this one tap into that same sort of incremental upgrade system that makes you feel more powerful inch by inch?
The upgrade system is pretty much identical, down to your castle growing extra rooms / wings, except obviously there's more stuff (more classes, for one). Your mansion actually shows up in the background of the "hub" area (where the blacksmith, runemaster, etc. are), which is a neat touch. :)

They didn't unnecessarily mess up with the formula; they kept the same core and built on top of it. For example, there's now permanent unlockable abilities found in the dungeon, which make it a bit more of a Metroidvania (as far as I can remember that wasn't a thing in 1), and each class now has its own weapon instead of everyone using the sword. Other than that it's all comfortably familiar, right down to the snappy physics.

I'd be really curious to see impressions from someone who didn't like or understand the first game at all.
These may be hard to come across, especially in this thread, but I'd say it's a rather safe bet that most people will love or hate 2 as much as they did 1. If anyone were to like 2 more, it would almost certainly be down to roguelites becoming more mainstream (thus more people "get" what they're about), or perhaps the improved visuals.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck! Bought it today and thanks to this thread now I know about the discount. Thank dog that steam offers refunds.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Really pumped for this! Played like 10 hours in EA then stopped becuase I didn't want to experience it all before full release.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
First game was great, I had no idea there was even a second one until I saw this thread today. Let alone it comes out TOMORROW!!!! I don't think they're advertising this well at all. I'll wait and see if its a gamepass title, if not I'll get it on Steam.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play it on Xbox series x. I played the original on pc and loved that damn game. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow!

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Do we know anything about game pass? I know Tunic, for example, was unknown, with no announcement, but then release day came and boom, game pass.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
i am REALLY surprised at how under the radar this game is flying. its held my attention since the beginning of it's early access release, which is more than i can say of most games released in the past two years
I'm chomping at the bit so hard for the minute it releases on XSX (do we know what time , btw?) that I'd settle for poring over an OT with good info and like-minded hypesters all just saying they can't wait either.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
It's out in Australia on Xbox now.

Cellar Doors Twitter says the US release is 9pm PST.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Is this like Returnal when you down a boss? Are they permanently gone or is it classic roguelite and you have to repeatedly down bosses?

Last edited: