• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Please read up on the basics of federal law.

Congress controls the size of the federal courts, including the Supreme Court.

Anything else said by any pundit is just online posturing, there is nothing Biden can do to pack the courts himself, at most the commission would say 'yes or no' for getting Congress to do so.

And we don't need a commission to tell us that. I get there is urgency for this because of Texas but we should be face reality and not try to come up with magical solutions, unless we can get every Dem (manchin and Sienima included) to override the filibuster and say yes to court packing, its not happening.
What? He's not saying Biden can expand the Supreme Court himself. He's saying Biden does need too act in anyway manner that he can within his given powers.

Tho it's funny you say Magical solutions when the SC can just make shit up.
Whatever its time to turn Social media off and go to bed. I'll wake up tomorrow seeing nothing being done and angry tweets by dem leaders. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
What? He's not saying Biden can expand the Supreme Court himself. He's saying Biden does need too act in anyway manner that he can within his given powers.

Tho it's funny you say Magical solutions when the SC can just make shit up.

What powers does Biden have to do anything about this besides making a commission to see if court packing is possible?

WHICH WE KNOW IS ALREADY POSSIBLE, It just takes an act of Congress.

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What powers does Biden have to do anything about this besides making a commission to see if court packing is possible?

WHICH WE KNOW IS ALREADY POSSIBLE, It just takes an act of Congress.
He is the president of the United States, leader of the Democratic Party, and head of the bully pulpit. Obviously he has no "official power" here, but these are the things he was elected to do. To whip his caucus to get on board with his agenda.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a terrible day. I don't even know what to say, just appalling. This is a scenario that was dreaded when the last two justices were appointed, we knew it was coming, but it's still appalling.

Fuck republicans.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I just don't get the logic. They don't want to wear mask because my body my choice. But your body my choice when it comes to womens pregnancy? I guess I made the misstake of applying logic to republican conservatives...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get the logic. They don't want to wear mask because my body my choice. But your body my choice when it comes to womens pregnancy? I guess I made the misstake of applying logic to republican conservatives...

I always took it as conservatives trying to throw "liberal talking points" back at them. Just another way to "own the libs".

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

E-QOSPHVUAgIp5q

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
We have one party that will use every trick they can imagine to get what they want with impunity and another party that says they want to help but is always in a quagmire that reduces their capabilities to making sternly worded tweets.

Politics are completely fucking broken in this country and I'm tired of pretending that they aren't.
Roe Vs Wade is seen by the GOP as a dirty trick as making abortion rights law without making it law via legislation.

The constant battle between states legislation especially and the courts is the end result of the law on abortion never actually existing outside a SCOTUS case.

Of course, this then hits into the whole issue of states rights, whether abortion rights should be subject to federal law etc and the fact that Roe Vs Wade never actually ruled on when a fertilised egg becomes a human life in legal terms other than to say that common law in the UK (The basis of the decision) was to not recognise a human life as separate and thus subject to protections until after viability.

This perceived ambiguity is where these laws always try to exploit and this one, by making it a "citizens interest" to hold the right to sue abortion providers rather than the local government, removes one of the easier ways for local courts to strike this down.

It still should be struck down as not in the intended spirit of the ruling but this will not be a quick process, as the SCOTUS isn't interested in this unless and until the Texas court system is involved and who knows what they'll do.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the country is going permanently backwards. As someone in a large blue city in a red state, a law like this seems inevitable in every other red state.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It's a battle of attrition and the GOP played the long game, it was only a matter of time. It didn't help any that far too much of media spent so much time trying to convince people that they're overreacting and that these states would be struck down. Then after Trump got his two nominations, it was still the same "people are overreacting" normalcy take.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a battle of attrition and the GOP played the long game, it was only a matter of time. It didn't help any that far too much of media spent so much time trying to convince people that they're overreacting and that these states would be struck down. Then after Trump got his two nominations, it was still the same "people are overreacting" normalcy take.

I hope people remember this the next time gun control comes up and people cry "it is too hard!" "It is too entrenched!" and then do nothing.

It might take 50 years and having a right wing media empire helps, but you can do something if you just keep going and fight hard enough. Maybe it works for something that isn't evil as well.

And these people will not stop. I expect same sex marriage will be next.

Never stop fighting back.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This SC insanity gives the GOP the ammunition to do anything they want, not just with abortion.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the backlash in 2022, as more Texan women vote in a way not approved by their male counterparts, and then the backlash to the backlash as said men make it harder for women to vote at all in the future.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The Senate Dems really need to nuke the filibuster already. Manchin and Sinema need to get with the program.

Last edited:

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
It honestly feels like this country is just done no matter the metric you look at. SCOTUS is going to stay a hyperpartisan body just like the Senate now. Covid isn't going away. Red states are full sending into just garbage ass legislation rapidly.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the backlash in 2022, as more Texan women vote in a way not approved by their male counterparts, and then the backlash to the backlash as said men make it harder for women to vote at all in the future.

Said backlash doesn't matter when they gut voting rights.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
The Senate Dems really need to nuke the filibuster already. Manchin and Sinema need to get with the program.

I'm not 100% sure if a filibuster nuke would be a net benefit for abortion rights in this case. Unless something massively changes with the structure of the Senate (extremely unlikely), the GOP would vote to restrict abortion even more the next time they have a trifecta.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, every problem leads back to the Senate and it's impossible to truly reform the problems. The Senate will lead to the unmaking of this country.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Even that seems like a long shot at this rate...
Yep. I was hopeful last year but then the people of Maine decided they wanted to reelect Susan Fucking Collins.

Gideon, Greenfield, and Cunningham (if he could've kept it in his pants) would have changed the ball game.

Luckily there are some good pick-up opportunities in the Senate next year - PA, WI, NC. Holding onto the House will be harder.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, old ass Breyer still refuses to retire because he doesn't want to politicize the SC.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
In the end, every problem leads back to the Senate and it's impossible to truly reform the problems. The Senate will lead to the unmaking of this country.
The deed is already done, the Senate killed SCOTUS and the lower courts. I really just don't understand the political calculus(or lack thereof) of Machine/Sinema. These bipartisan bills passed through reconciliation aren't going to save their jobs nor will it help the party come reelection time when the general public view politics like team sports with both sides essentially monoliths. They've damned us with their inactivity. Their handling of the filibuster tells a lot of people the system is broken and voting is pointless.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not 100% sure if a filibuster nuke would be a net benefit for abortion rights in this case. Unless something massively changes with the structure of the Senate (extremely unlikely), the GOP would vote to restrict abortion even more the next time they have a trifecta.

Nuking the filibuster is only a short term panacea, unless you can guarantee continued control of Congress for the next couple of decades which isn't as aspirational if voter rights are protected.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
So the court allowed this to pass on the grounds that the state of Texas is not enforcing the law, but private citizens are? Could people flood the state with false reports so nothing ever gets enforced?

edit: or flood the state with money to pay the fines?

Essentially, yes. Since the State isn't enforcing it, it's okay.

False reports?

The problem is that abortion providers aren't going to risk it so they've already stopped performing abortions.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nuking the filibuster to enshrine in law the rights of women over their own bodies seems like the perfect issue to do so over. We are looking at rights that have stood for 50 years being rescinded... Democrats have control, even bare control, it is time for them to act decisively.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

will be interesting to see the response when the first court case of someone 'turning' in a person for aiding a woman in abortion. Right now, its just words on paper. Lets see when it starts actually turning into lawsuits and criminal charges for the providers or those abetting OR when someone is sued who wasn't even guilty.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Nuking the filibuster to enshrine in law the rights of women over their own bodies seems like the perfect issue to do so over. We are looking at rights that have stood for 50 years being rescinded... Democrats have control, even bare control, it is time for them to act decisively.

and in 4 years with a repub president and senate majority, they get rid of the rights and back and forth we go every 4 years.

that isnt the fix we need.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
and in 4 years with a repub president and senate majority, they get rid of the rights and back and forth we go every 4 years.

that isnt the fix we need.
You assume republicans would have congress, senate and the presidency in 4 years with the John lewis voting rights act voted in? I doubt that.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
It's disgusting, usually I'm more of a conservative type but abortion should be a human right since they are a lot of scenarios a women can get pregnant without her free will, from rape etc. Not sure why this happened, I hope it's just not a religious thing since even ultra religious countries in Europe have made the abortion legal ( not all ofc, they are shit places everywhere)

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
You assume republicans would have congress, senate and the presidency in 4 years with the John lewis voting rights act voted in? I doubt that.

Did you not just see how well Trump and the GOP did in 2020 with the largest turnout in a century? The idea that higher turnout naturally benefits Dems is a fallacy.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda ironic but not surprising how it is always republicans who complain about witch-hunts yet they legalize and encourage turning someone in for abetting with abortions. Just the simple act of providing information related to abortions is illegal to those monsters. They are truly unredeemable, their way of thinking can be condensed to a feeling of superiority when they have control over actual living people.

It's why they take so much glee out of 'owning the libs'. It is stimulating to them at an emotional level.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Do you mean to suggest the federal government and congress both of which are controlled by democrats could not sit down together to draft new laws/bills to protect women's reproductive rights?
are manchin and sinema going to vote to kill the fillibuster? no? then no they dont have the power.