• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Love the folks trying to pull a shell game wrt culpability were all the loudest voices screaming how voting didn't matter before the 2016 election and are now screaming about it again.

Dumbasses should be ignored.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
But it does so without requiring standing.

Imagine if your neighbour wrecked your fence, then got sued by someone two towns over. That's unconstitutional.

The law gives them standing. The law creates the cause of action. It does so to circumvent the state enforcing it.

I agree that it should be tossed out but it won't because SCOTUS is full of Conservatives at the moment.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
From article in OP:

I don't even understand how that works. Trump was unsueable over anything because no one in the world had "standing." Now "standing" doesn't matter?

The law gives them standing. If we removed governmental, sovereign or presidential immunity you would have standing to sue them at will.

Edit: Beaten above.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Love the folks trying to pull a shell game wrt culpability were all the loudest voices screaming how voting didn't matter before the 2016 election and are now screaming about it again.

Dumbasses should be ignored.

literally all folks had to do was vote for the most capable and prepared candidate in modern history over a man who told the world exactly who he was and what he wanted to do...and instead, many refused to do the bare minimum because the Dem candidate wasn't AS liberal as someone else.

thats all folks had to do and now these same folks are screaming at the very things happening we all said would happen if hillary didnt win.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
literally all folks had to do was vote for the most capable and prepared candidate in modern history over a man who told the world exactly who he was and what he wanted to do...and instead, many refused to do the bare minimum because the Dem candidate wasn't AS liberal as someone else.

thats all folks had to do and now these same folks are screaming at the very things happening we all said would happen if hillary didnt win.

Exactly, all of those that weren't "inspired" enough by Clinton? You did this. You're culpable. Congratulations. I'm talking to large swathes of this forum btw.

If those same people are now posting forms of election-nihilism they'll continue to be culpable just as much as Trump voters.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly, all of those that weren't "inspired" enough by Clinton? You did this. You're culpable. Congratulations. I'm talking to large swathes of this forum btw.

If those same people are now posting forms of election-nihilism they'll continue to be culpable just as much as Trump voters.

Amen

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This is what we were afraid of in 2016. People who were paying attention knew this was coming.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The Supreme Court's indifference really says it all. And this law was specifically created so that it could only be stopped by overturning the law itself federally.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
This is what we were afraid of in 2016. People who were paying attention knew this was coming.

folks were willing to fuck the system up thinking it would turn America into some progressives utopia because people would want to go full anti trump/conservatives.

these same folks seem to ignore how racist this country has always been and will continue to be.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
How this slow moving push from the conservative movement cementing damaging change is going to be a major theme this decade.

Voting rights is next.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how the lawsuit part works? Even if the SCotUS wasn't going to step in on the abortion question, the suit part is clearly absurd. How would these people have standing or show damages?

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
There really isn't anything that can be done at this point. You're just going to have some states that allow it and some that don't. Unfortunately it's the poor that get the short end of the stick once again.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The lawsuit part is so ridiculous, every Democrat needs to sue Abbott etc under this law for abetting abortions (since abortion #s go up under Republicans). They'll fold on letting anyone without standing sue pretty quickly.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
There really isn't anything that can be done at this point. You're just going to have some states that allow it and some that don't. Unfortunately it's the poor that get the short end of that stick once again.

yep. Only thing people can do is vote in every election, be it local, midterm, national. Dems need to get better at coming out even for 'boring' elections, take over school
Boards, city councils, create think tanks that fund programs in law schools, basically go the route of the Koch brothers.

In districts that are more purple or red, dems need to be ok with moderates and places where its blue they need to push extreme progressives.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
How this slow moving push from the conservative movement cementing damaging change is going to be a major theme this decade.

Voting rights is next.

Already ahead of you. Texas passed its election law.

I don't understand how the lawsuit part works? Even if the SCotUS wasn't going to step in on the abortion question, the suit part is clearly absurd. How would these people have standing or show damages?

They do have standing because the law gives them standing.

The lawsuit part is so ridiculous, every Democrat needs to sue Abbott etc under this law for abetting abortions (since abortion #s go up under Republicans). They'll fold on letting anyone without standing sue pretty quickly.

It wouldn't work that way under the law unless Abbott himself helped people get abortions.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Its 2021 and we're back to discourse about how voting in 2016 mattered when dems have a majority in the house, senate, and own the presidency and none of these branches of government are doing anything to stop this.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Those parts may be more vulnerable to court challenges but unless SCOTUS intervenes I can't see anyone stopping them from banning abortion after a mere 6 weeks.

man this country is so dumb. Abortion has been legal since Roe (well not in TX anymore) simply because of a Supreme Court decision, but we never codified by passing legislation after all these decades. So many missed opportunities.

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
Breyer really needs to retire so we can fill that spot before it's too late or things could get even worse.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the point in blaming the 2016 election when Supreme Court Justices are pretty much decided by luck and timing. The two Obama presidencies before and the likely two Biden presidencies after Trump's ONE term will be lucky to even replace the same amount of SC Justices.

What we need is enough people in power to willing change this system to actual represent the populace.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Its 2021 and we're back to discourse about how voting in 2016 mattered when dems have a majority in the house, senate, and own the presidency and none of these branches of government are doing anything to stop this.
"I don't understand the difference between federal and state law and also what the fuck is a Supreme court?"

Richi

May 15, 2021

....Couldn't help but notice you left out the 3rd (and necessary) branch of govt for this case in particular.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
"I don't understand the difference between federal and state law and also what the fuck is a Supreme court?"

I mean, there is something to be said that abortion rights should have been codified in federal statute rather than relying on a SCOTUS ruling, and there was some chatter about that just after Biden's election win, but I'm sure Manchin and Sinema have put that down rather quick.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I still seethe when I see RBG bobble heads, not because I don't appreciate her accomplishments, but because she knew she should have retired during Obama and didn't. These liberal SC justices and their hubris are going to get women killed.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
2016 is referenced as being a particularly consequential period because the Supreme Court(which effectively has final say on these matters) had a known vacancy at the time of the election and , and two there afterwards ( one of which due death causing an non-elective vacancy).

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

they have a 50/50 tie in the Senate with Kamala being the tie breaker. What is it you want them to do? Please, do tell....

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Such complete and utter bullshit. I hate this country so much sometimes. And fuck republicans and the gop forever.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
All I see is discourse still blaming 'Bernie Bros' or whatever it's fucking infuriating. Stop it. Those people voted for HRC and weren't at all a reason for her defeat. You're just making yourselves look stupid and petty.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

Limiting access to abortion-inducing pills is next:
The legislation would limit patients' access to abortion-inducing pills, preventing physicians or providers from giving abortion-inducing medication to patients who are more than seven weeks pregnant. Current law allows practitioners to give these pills to patients who are up to 10 weeks pregnant. Notably, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration set its guidelines in 2016 advising that abortion-inducing pills are safe to use up to 70 days, or 10 weeks, after initial conception.
These pills have increasingly become the most common method for women to terminate a pregnancy if they are aware of their pregnancy early enough. According to the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive health research institute that supports abortion rights, 60% of women elect to take a pill over having surgery.
This one, SB 4, will also ban abortion-inducing pills from being mailed in Texas. The Biden administration, last April, temporarily allowed the medication to be mailed due to the coronavirus when in-person doctor visits were not always possible or advised.
www.texastribune.org

Bill limiting abortion-inducing pills heads to Gov. Greg Abbott's desk to be signed into law

Senate Bill 4, which was advanced by the Texas House on Monday evening, would bar access to abortion-inducing pills to patients who are more than seven weeks pregnant.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
"Why are we asking people to vote when we can introduce this much more difficult option right over here?"
Yes everyone busted their ass in 2020 to get the trifecta with a bonus month where we had to win the georgia senate seat only to be told vote harder in the next election when nothing happens.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't the Dems sack the court again? They feel like such lemmings compared to Republican effectiveness at propagating their evil agenda.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying don't vote.
Then don't spread defeatism.

We're in this situation because not enough people voted against backwards-ass conservatism.

Our words and actions matter, and when you say stuff like this, it helps spread apathy.

Yes everyone busted their ass in 2020 to get the trifecta with a bonus month where we had to win the georgia senate seat only to be told vote harder in the next election when nothing happens.

In the Senate, we won the slimmest possible majority. Not nearly enough to have the kind of control that we need.

I'm tired of people being surprised to hear that 2020 wasn't enough. We can't just win one election and then throw our hands up when we learn conservatives weren't totally vanquished.

It's going to take A LOT more work than that.

Last edited:

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Also, fuck RBG and now Breyer for not being able to read the room. I got so much shit for trashing RBG years ago for not stepping down in 2014. I hope you're ok with her "folk hero"' legacy taking priority over the progressive and indeed mainstream values, laws and statutes that the current SCOTUS and state legislatures/courts/etc across the county are just utterly tearing apart at an alarming rate. If you can't vote someday because of your zip code and you just learned your neighbor died from trying to get a coat hanger abortion, at least we have our liberal folk hero right? SMH this country is a dumpster fire.