• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
dT4Yzhl.gif

RecklessBaggyEagle-size_restricted.gif
Yup. No question about it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
There's no real safety nets here when votes fail.

Feels like we have to win every time, when they only have to win once or twice and we don't make up ground from those losses after.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Most people can't just pick up and travel across the country. In a post-Roe world, abortion would be a luxury for the rich in red states.
Yep it's fucked. The people who'd be worst affected are also people working two jobs who can't get free time even if they could drive/travel out

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the folks who'd like to just leave Texas for their abortion and come back and remembering that thread Slayven made the other day about how big Texas is
and texas is surrounded by other super conservative states, outside of new mexico, which is on the opposite side of the state where most of the people in texas live. Long, long drives.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
They basically empowered the citizens as enforcers of the law as a way to try and block the ability to challenge the law by having no state led officer doing enforcement.

right, by making them basically bounty hunters. But how does this law successfully adjudicate the mechanism of carrying out these lawsuits, in civil court? And how does this possibly convey damages to the plaintiff if literally nothing is done to them by the defendant?

Dec 4, 2017
There's no real safety nets here when votes fail.

Feels like we have to win every time, when they only have to win once or twice and we don't make up ground from those losses after.
That's because the rules are rigged in favor of reactionaries. And progressives are too few to change them, while moderates like how warm the water has become in the pot.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep it's fucked. The people who'd be worst affected are also people working two jobs who can't get free time even if they could drive/travel out
and then they'll attack them as sex addled welfare queens when they dare to be human have sex and inevitably get pregnant

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Don't vote, things will only get better.

I'm not saying don't vote. People should vote, 100% That said, it probably doesn't mean much as far this is concerned.

The Supreme Court seems ready to completely gut abortion rights, and the Dems in the House and Senate do not currently have the power to stop them due to shitlibs. They probably won't have the power after midterms.

Being told to vote by people in power doesn't mean much in this situation. Just doesn't.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
considering the current state of US politics I'm surprised it's only Texas tbh.
Other states HAVE tried, but the court we have now is very different from the one we had 5 years ago.
Expect most Red states to move forward with similar legislation now that the floodgates are open.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does anyone know abortion funds we, as a forum can help promote? I know we've done it for other things. I kinda feel unless scotus does something in the next 24 hours we should start to act and organize?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
reminder. only 3 of the republican justices on the court was the product of a presidential popular vote win

We have the numbers, and they are winning. Our wins in 2020 have produced no results except to slow the destruction. Biden and the "Democratic" Congress have accomplished literally nothing since the stimulus checks. No voting rights, no infrastructure, and things like DC statehood, filibuster reform, and court reform of any kind are not even under consideration.

Remember this the next time we're all mocking conservatives for how stupid they are.

May 26, 2018
We have the numbers, and they are winning. Our wins in 2020 have produced no results except to slow the destruction. Biden and the "Democratic" Congress have accomplished literally nothing since the stimulus checks. No voting rights, no infrastructure, and things like DC statehood, filibuster reform, and court reform of any kind are not even under consideration.

Remember this the next time we're all mocking conservatives for how stupid they are.

Im still pretty convinced that this will be the last time democrats will even get to pretend to be in power. They had to fight coming in if they wanted to keep things afloat, and there's just… dead air for the most part. Vultures been circling for a while and there's no water in sight.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
We have a major pandemic still raging on and Biden has his hands full big time. FDR did not have senators like Manchin and Sinema refusing to compromise. It's all the filibuster. Political pressure doesn't work on these dingbats so the next step that seems to be manifesting will be financial.

Also...court packing would take months to get into place with the speed of government. People should be angry with the Republican majority that is making this happen and not democrats. What the hell can Texas democrats, in minority, even do?
FDR also didn't have to deal with Fox News and an entire right wing news sphere that wants nothing more than to set the entire country on fire.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FDR also didn't have to deal with Fox News and an entire right wing news sphere that wants nothing more than to set the entire country on fire.
I mean he did, he had father Coughlin and his ilk.

I just don't think dems have the guts to attack the corporate media for what they are. they're scared of "partisanship" and a "backlash"

because when dems attack the media. they (the media) get on their highhorse about how "both sides hate them" so they're obviously doing their job right, even thought its mostly just laundering their owner's moneied interests

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
They will never actively go against Roe. They will do things like tonight action which accomplishes all the things they seek without the huge public spectacle. This has been a worrying topic for days in the legal circles yet took til its about to happen for it to even cross most peoples attention. Just how the court wants it.
I knew this even before Biden got the office but you still have people to this day saying we shouldn't stack the courts.

We need to stack the fuck out of the Supreme Court.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
And to think Biden and the Dems had the practical power to prevent this shadow docket problem by simply stacking the court like the entire Dem base has been asking for to prevent situations like this. Utter malfeasance.
It would have been one goddamn hell of a lot easier for people to vote for Hillary when there was literally an open supreme court seat up for grabs then whatever fantasy method you've concocted for this magic court stacking plan to happen after things are already fucked

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
It's hilarious American news talks about how oppressed women are in other countries, meanwhile you can go to jail for deciding what you want to do to your own body if you're a woman.

Wtf.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
also listen to 5-4 podcast who had a great episode on this

Seconding this specifically, it was a really good overview of how bad that coverage is and how little anyone holds the court accountable.

In general it's been eye-opening to learn just how fucking much incredibly bad shit the supreme court's done over time thanks to them. Like you think you have an idea, but then you hear the specifics, and...

Last edited:

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy I live in a country where abortion rights are never questioned. I hope these poor women manage to escape to a civilized society.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy I live in a country where abortion rights are never questioned. I hope these poor women manage to escape to a civilized society.
You got that absolutely right about escaping to a civilized society. Today republicans in Texas also allowed for permitless carry of handguns, no training is necessary. We always think that republicans want to go back that 1950s but nope, they clearly want to turns things back to the 1800s. They are absolute monsters whose very existence is to make other people suffer.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
I understand this argument. but I think biden, like FDR did could have put pressure on the court and call them out as partisan.

I understand the afghanstan stuff, but far more American lives will be affected by tonights decision in 17 minutes than what happened or the last week. but protecting abortion rights is a popular position but dems love giving up easy layups.

this is simply fantasy. Like, people really need to have a better grasp on the limitations of the executive. Trump spoke a big game but from a legislative perspective didnt get SHIT done. For all of his bloviating, he didnt accomplish anything that Anyother Republican moderate would've accomplished (from a legal perspective).

Biden isnt a dictator. He isn't King. To compare his situation to FDR is fantasy.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the only way to prevent or slow down these red states from enacting these draconian laws is for massive corporations that are headquartered in these areas to pull their business or stop dontating to Republicans, right?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So in what sense does a random citizen have the legal standing to sue some other random person for conducting an abortion?

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Surely our Democratic leadership will do everything in their power to prote-

cT0ramD.jpeg

YCG9sSu.png

Fuck
Yes...
Lets pick an article from 2017 from the minority leader of the House who has one major responsibility:win the majority for her party, and not force her members to take votes that put their house in jeopardy.

She isnt just a progressive congress woman. As the minority leader or speaker, she isnt there to make her caucus vote in a way that puts the rest of the house in jeopardy. Like, this isn't difficult to understand.

Dems could either be free to vote their conscience on certain votes and win the majority or be forced to vote in a way that puts their seat into jeopardy and lose the majority. If she knew she couldve won the majority with forcing a vote on abortion rights, she wouldve...

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It's disgusting that this is actually going into effect. I really hate living here.

So when does the Supreme Court actually have to rule on this now? Because it's clearly going against precedent established by them. They need to rule either in favour or against in order to clear up the contradiction.

Technically, they don't have to. They will and vote 6-3 that states can effectively ban abortion.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Hostility, numerous prior bans for the same
Yes...
Lets pick an article from 2017 from the minority leader of the House who has one major responsibility:win the majority for her party, and not force her members to take votes that put their house in jeopardy.

She isnt just a progressive congress woman. As the minority leader or speaker, she isnt there to make her caucus vote in a way that puts the rest of the house in jeopardy. Like, this isn't difficult to understand.

Dems could either be free to vote their conscience on certain votes and win the majority or be forced to vote in a way that puts their seat into jeopardy and lose the majority. If she knew she couldve won the majority with forcing a vote on abortion rights, she wouldve...

Lol you're consistently one of the worst posters on this site, I swear. Just absolute shit takes.

Do you honestly think Pelosi has changed her position on abortion in 4 years to "Now I like it, actually"? You're literally defending someone who said "All Lives Matter" and thanked George Floyd for being murdered. Dems giving ANY breathing room to anti-abortion rhetoric is a fucking problem, how do you not understand that? Or are you too privileged to actually give a shit? We absolutely cannot have Dems in power who believe this.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I mean you know that many of us that live here don't agree with this, right?
Yeah, I know. I live in Texas. I know that splitting the country definitely isn't the way to solve any problems and would just create a humanitarian crisis for all those left behind. It just kind of seems like things are getting progressively worse and worse, like we all woke up in the bad timeline.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
"Conservates want live children so they can grow to be DEAD soldiers." - George Carlin

Oct 22, 2020
And to think Biden and the Dems had the practical power to prevent this shadow docket problem by simply stacking the court like the entire Dem base has been asking for to prevent situations like this. Utter malfeasance.
And to think we could have prevented all of this and even gained a liberal majority on the court had people fucking shown up to vote for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Lol you're consistently one of the worst posters on this site, I swear. Just absolute shit takes.

Do you honestly think Pelosi has changed her position on abortion in 4 years to "Now I like it, actually"? You're literally defending someone who said "All Lives Matter" and thanked George Floyd for being murdered. Dems giving ANY breathing room to anti-abortion rhetoric is a fucking problem, how do you not understand that? Or are you too privileged to actually give a shit? We absolutely cannot have Dems in power who believe this.

happy to have left an impact with you.

and I can condemn Pelosi's on other matters like all lives matter/floyd and still understand her position with not forcing her caucus to vote on abortion.

and privileged? I have a wife and young daughter, and live in a southern state so nice try there.

Fact is, as the Speaker, Pelosi has different responsibilities than other members be it AOC, Omar, or heads of committees. You can yell, scream, foam at the mouth if you want but facts are facts.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From article in OP:

But SB 8 is unique: It empowers private citizens, not government officials, to enforce it. The measure allows any random stranger to bring a lawsuit in state court against any individual who "aids or abets" an abortion in Texas after six weeks. Anyone in the country may file such a suit against abortion "abettors" in any state court within Texas. If the plaintiff wins, they collect a minimum of $10,000 plus attorneys' fees. And if they win a case against an abortion provider, the court must shut down that clinic. If the provider somehow prevails, they collect nothing, not even attorneys' fees.

I don't even understand how that works. Trump was unsueable over anything because no one in the world had "standing." Now "standing" doesn't matter?

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
From article in OP:

I don't even understand how that works. Trump was unsueable over anything because no one in the world had "standing." Now "standing" doesn't matter?

Trump and most government officials have immunity so they can't be sued. Even then, the government can only be sued for things they allow you to sue them for.

This bill gives standing to ordinary citizens to sue each other over abortion.

Yeah, I know. I live in Texas. I know that splitting the country definitely isn't the way to solve any problems and would just create a humanitarian crisis for all those left behind. It just kind of seems like things are getting progressively worse and worse, like we all woke up in the bad timeline.

Sadly, things here will keep getting worse until it gets better. The bail and elections bills have been passed too.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
From article in OP:

That part of the bill is truly something. Seems like the Texan government doesn't only see itself in the Republic of Gilead, but the GDR as well. The Stasi would be proud, though they usually used force to enlist unofficial collaborators.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump and most government officials have immunity so they can't be sued. Even then, the government can only be sued for things they allow you to sue them for.

This bill gives standing to ordinary citizens to sue each other over abortion.

But it does so without requiring standing.

Imagine if your neighbour wrecked your fence, then got sued by someone two towns over. That's unconstitutional.

Dec 30, 2020
Time to start surgically implanting uteruses with live embryos in male politicians. Because if they care so much, they'll carry a child to term themselves without any choice in the matter.