• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah seems like they might have actually took action and judging by some of the tweets from other women at Rocksteady it looks like they might be happy with the action taken. Hopefully this represents a culture shift.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Nice. Hopefully things get better. Similar to what Ubisoft is doing, they hired a third party and are sacking people. Good.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Congrats, Rocksteady. You're at Square 1. They might think they've addressed the issue, but nothing matters until transparent, open results are shown. They're at the start of a long road to earning public trust back.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Can somebody explain to me why, of all places, they decide to handle this on their official Rocksteady twitter account the weekend of their reveal of suicide squad. Couldn't you talk to a journalist? Do this literally any other way? It's probably the dumbest way to handle this I've ever seen.

obviously I hope things get better for those employees and all that good stuff. But cmon man, you pay these PR people thousands of dollars. They should be better at this

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This should have been their first statement instead of releasing that "unsolicited letter" and the timing seems a bit Friday news dump, but the fact that they now have an independent third party interviewing current and former employees seems like a good step.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018

Eh? The Guardian is normally a very credible and researched paper. If I remember correctly because it was going to appear in the paper RockSteady actually took action.

I assume this was put out because the FanDome event is going to be big and they don't want headlines not prompting their game.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
turning off comments is such a coward move that anything that comes before the comment section is automatically considered bullshit. for me, anyway.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
turning off comments is such a coward move that anything that comes before the comment section is automatically considered bullshit. for me, anyway.
I would do the same. The comments that would invariably come in would detract from the messaging that they are trying to convey. There are plenty of other places for people to voice their opinion without cluttering up the statement page.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
At least it's better than whatever the hell they released the other day. It's still really gross to me the current staff were attacking Kim and liking tweets of people doing the same and they couldn't even manage to get all the women who signed the original letter to sign the "anonymous" one the other day.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah seems like they might have actually took action and judging by some of the tweets from other women at Rocksteady it looks like they might be happy with the action taken. Hopefully this represents a culture shift.
And hopefully not just some positive noises being made until this dies down. Cos let's face it, that's what usually happens.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
i would turn off comments too. it's not like there will be a valuable conversation in the replies. it's a bunch of people who want their opinion to be echoed over and over.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These are the appropriate steps to take, and I'm glad an independent third-party is investigating the claims.
And this honestly should have been the first response taken, rather than the unsolicited letter. That was highly unprofessional.

More importantly, this seems to be what the female staff want - both current and former employees. I will continue to attest that remaining impartial during the investigation is going to be important until these things finish, and that I hope WarnerMedia is using a trust third-party (they tend to).

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
just my two cents, as someone not following this story in a reporting capacity:

"asking all female staff to provide feedback about the portrayal and behavior of characters in the games we make" is a really lousy version of "expanding the diversity of our leadership teams to make sure portrayals are addressed in the planning and pre-production phases in the first place"

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Futter's tweet is interesting. Doesn't seem like this is a Riot Games situation, where multiple women are accusing the developer with a multitude of stories.

Reading The Guardian article, it looks like the entire article uses just one source.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I just can't wait for the reveal of suicide squad this weekend with Harley wearing a leather corset that breaks 3 ribs while she stripper walks up to Killer Croc to talk about how they are gonna easy-combo punch Superman to death.

and then a non-solicited letter from female employees will show up with them all saying
"that walk was based on my NORMAL everyday walk and i feel empowered that they used my motion capture for free! The exposure my walk will get is amazing! Also that outfit is totally normal and basically what I wear to church every Sunday so i don't understand why everyone is freaking out."

I don't care how legit they are- those letters from the all too happy women at the company are fucking weird and insincere. Their PR team needs some fresh blood cause fuuuuck...

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
they're already better than most of the companies, since most of them don't even reconize publicly the problems. I really hope they can work towards solving the problems and change the bad apples on the team.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020

Without the Guardian leak and Kim MacAskill's video telling her truth, nothing of this would happen. Regardless how PR fluff this does sound, I hope the women that work and have worked on Rocksteady feel encouraged and safe to speak their truth.

With that said, this doesn't erase the fact that the last two days have been a shit show with Rocksteady Studios current employees partaking in victim blaming and dog piling Kim MacAskill, even if she claims that she wasn't the whistleblower that shared the 2018 letter to The Guardian.

This is an apparent good step, but I'm not forgetting how Rocksteady's employees reacted and treated a former colleague for speaking her truth.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
An independent third party that they're paying. This third party will be answering to its paymasters. I'd still be suspicious of all of this.
Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of ways this can lead to nothing.
Independent to the studio and within WB or completely outside of the company?
A very good question.
female staff... just say women. dnskskdm
Yeah, this is a big pet peeve of mine. I know "women employees/staff" doesn't roll off the tongue as smoothly but still.

Mrfb17

Senior Designer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I'm not going to comment I'm just going to link to current and ex employees, including Kim so that people can get more information and make up their own opinion with more informed decisions at least

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an alternative where a third party investigates the situation for free?
Surely business can think of something. What about an independent commission in the industry, with rules that companies within the industry have to adhere to and answer to. If there is wrongdoing, then the independent body makes their own decision as to whether or not it is investigated, not the company in question itself. I appreciate that the independent body will need to be paid somehow - how about an annual fee by all members?

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Surely business can think of something. What about an independent commission in the industry, with rules that companies within the industry have to adhere to and answer to. If there is wrongdoing, then the independent body makes their own decision as to whether or not it is investigated, not the company in question itself. I appreciate that the independent body will need to be paid somehow - how about an annual fee by all members?
I could see that working but it'll need to be implemented at a parent company level instead of with developers. In this situation it would be a contractual obligation implemented with WB Games and function in the same way a yearly audit would with the company being on retainer and the fee being split but the subsidiary. That's a really good idea

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
It appears extremely clear that Rocksteady was a real shitty place before 2018, but I don't see a reason to be concerned unless a current employee of Rocksteady says otherwise

I don't think companies should have to deal with HR concerns publicly if they are adequately dealing with the concerns internally

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Almost like they have a game being shown this weekend.

Unfortunately this is a show and prove scenario. If they didn't botch the original response I would be more trustworthy of this.

no comments is also .....poor move. It's just going to make people fill up the Batman trailer with them.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
That's leaving pretty big bait for crazy ass "fans" to say derogatory and hateful shit about women posting in the reply section. Especially on Twitter.

Then next thing you know it's "Look at all the Alt-Right fans Rocksteady has!!".