• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Arion

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
The more I think about this game and the discussion around this game the more clear one thing becomes. Developers use good graphics to distract you from bad gameplay.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The more I think about this game and the discussion around this game the more clear one thing becomes. Developers use good graphics to distract you from bad gameplay.

I mean you could have it both ways and have a game that doesnt play like molasses while also looking pretty.

Nintendo seems pretty good at that. Jake's nintendo jesus moment is the best takeaway from the video.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
On my second play through now and still loving every minute of it. Being that this game is the second highest selling game this year and the highest reviewed, I would argue it is not outdated. This game could use a NG+ feature and/or an increased difficulty mode to extend it further.

Oct 27, 2017
On my second play through now and still loving every minute of it. Being that this game is the second highest selling game this year and the highest reviewed, I would argue it is not outdated. This game could use a NG+ feature and/or an increased difficulty mode to extend it further.

Brilliant argument against the points in the video. WELL DONE!

OP
OP
Arion

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Tell that to guerrilla\santa monica\insomniac\naughty dog\etc.
I mean you could have it both ways and have a game that doesnt play like molasses while also looking pretty.

Nintendo seems pretty good at that. Jake's nintendo jesus moment is the best takeaway from the video.

I didn't say good gameplay and good graphics are mutually exclusive. Just that whenever a developer tries to hide their bad gameplay with good graphics it usually works.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I enjoy the gameplay. 👐🤠 maybe I'm odd, but the game was definitely my favorite gaming experience in years. It was the complete package for me.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
His points are exactly why i dont like Rockstar games.

I keep giving them a try because of the hype, and that im told im crazy if i dont like them.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the discourse in this thread so poor? So many posts that outright ignore the video and essentially say "I like the game and so do critics"

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory commentary across in multiple threads; previous accumulated infractions
It's so outdated it's the highest rated game on Xbox One and PS4.

It's almost like the gaming media is a joke and has been for decades....

Seriously is there any other industry out there where the reviewers are as bad at their jobs as the gaming ones? We shouldn't have to rely on random youtubers for proper critique of games. Not solely at least.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm struggling to finish it, honestly. When I'm playing I really enjoy it, but when I'm not, I feel no desire to start playing.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017

Seriously is there any other industry out there where the reviewers are as bad at their jobs as the gaming ones? We shouldn't have to rely on random youtubers for proper critique of games. Not solely at least.
Is there any other industry where you'd be skinned alive for giving something a 7/10.... an 8/10?

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I love the game, and it's undoubtedly my game of the year.

But I agree with everything in this video and had the same discussion with friends during my playthrough.
I hope Rockstar really innovate on their mission design with their next project.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly like a cut scene instead of having to slowly walk and talk. Let me be fully engaged or not, at least with the latter, I can put my controller down.

While I enjoyed my time with RDR2, I do agree with this video.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018

I agree with you, but to be fair, it's a much more complex medium to review than movies and music, that's way more subjective.

But yeah, since it's more complex, better reviewers are essential

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Too afraid to find flaws in a game they like or "It works for me" in game mechanic form. The usual.

I would assume one of those reasons is because these people probably don't try play off the beaten track and just b-line straight to what they are told to do.

I'm struggling to finish it, honestly. When I'm playing I really enjoy it, but when I'm not, I feel no desire to start playing.

Same here, at first it was amazing but the more I played the more you could see behind the curtain at how simple everything was.
I'm an inquisitive type of player and I was failing missions a lot for trying something. Now I'm picking it up a few times a week to do a few missions doing precisely what it wants me to do.

I've made the complaint before in another thread but there's an actual side mission where they've voiced alternative outcomes but they are all fail states unless you do what the developer that created the mission wanted so it makes me wonder why they voiced it at all.

The magic is partially gone but I'm still impressed by the story telling, voice acting, animations and world itself.
I'll get there eventually, I don't hate it I'm just disappointed that such a well crafted game's major flaw is it's mission design.

I really hope they shy away from this in the future and make things a lot more creative and optional.
Stop making authorities like something out of Minority Report, give me at least the black and white option of kill or don't kill with SOME quests because I understand some need to be story related.

I'd honestly like a cut scene instead of having to slowly walk and talk. Let me be fully engaged or not, at least with the latter, I can put my controller down.

While I enjoyed my time with RDR2, I do agree with this video.

Holy shit yes, I never thought about that but you are right.
Some missions actually did that, but a huge amount did not.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I only had time to watch four to five minutes but is he always in the shots wobbling around on his Swiss ball? It's really distracting as I'm not sure why he's in most of the shots. I'm unfamiliar with his other videos so that could be his thing I suppose but I couldn't hang with it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only had time to watch four to five minutes but is he always in the shots wobbling around on his Swiss ball? It's really distracting as I'm not sure why he's in most of the shots. I'm unfamiliar with his other videos so that could be his thing I suppose but I couldn't hang with it.
Yes he is. And I don't see what's distracting about it. You can't watch someone move and talk at the same time? How do you deal lectures?

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently watching the video still, but his criticism of the camp system is spot on.

It's utterly pointless and a half baked idea. I mean it's there, and monitors values.... but has no baring on the game and it's inconsequential.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
No shit it's outdated, it's basically gta 3 in big and really pretty. The mission structure and fail states have not changed much since then. It's still a damn great game though!

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017

You might argue it's not outdated, but as much a I love Rockstar I might be done if the next RDR or GTA game is 50 hours of go to mission, something goes wrong, shoot out happens, go back. GTA San Andreas at least mixed some stuff up. The mission design is such an after thought to the rest of all the incredible detail that I think I'd rather just have them make an interactive visual novel style of game than do another copy/paste mission over and over again.

I loved RDR2, but they really need to bring back some mission variety and find a way to bring the player agency into the missions themselves beyond answering positively or negatively to things.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this video and thought about posting a thread about it. Glad someone did.

Really enjoyable and 100% accurate video. He's a pretty funny guy.

In regards to RDR2, once the glamour and awe of the graphics and animations wears off it really is irritating how restrictive and linear all the main missions are. It does painfully contrast with the openness of the open world exploration.

Noticed all the inconsistencies in the forced immersion as well, and the horse weapon thing is just fucking irritating.

All in all sums up why I think RDR2, while certainly a fun and well-crafted game, certainly does NOT deserve all the 9.5/10 and perfect 10 review scores it got. I would probably give it a 7.5/10, maybe 8/10 overall.

Being that this game is the second highest selling game this year and the highest reviewed, I would argue it is not outdated
This sentence is both hilarious and really sad, because it truly does sum up how devs use shiny graphics and animations and production value to disguise poor gameplay / game design.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Why is the discourse in this thread so poor? So many posts that outright ignore the video and essentially say "I like the game and so do critics"
It's almost impossible to analysis or critique a AAA game on ResetERA that has so many fucking sales and 10/10 critic scores. It boils down to "its not outdated because it sold a lot" or "its really good because all the shitty game journos liked it". Everyone is distracted by its story (which is good!), and graphics (which are great!), and its open world (which is good!) , but I think once you think about the game as a whole just a tiny bit it just fucking falls apart. I noticed this with GTAV in 2013 and quickly became bored of the game due to its weird ass design of wanting to be open but linear. Rockstar Games are super overhyped so any discussion trying to bring it down is either met with disdain or confusion.

I watched the video. Many times. It's hilarious and 100% spot on. Rockstar needs to pick a road and stick with it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Or Infinite Warfare where you could pick missions and freely fly your jackal then choose to do space infantry combat or stay in your jackal. You can also use your equipments however you see fit rather than only using it when the game tells you to and never use it again (older COD did that). Then there's Black Ops 2 with its choice based mission design and branching narrative. Half of the times the choices were so subtle and natural that I wasn't even aware I was making a choice and it had large repercussions later on. There's this particular chase mission in BO2 where you chase a dude who has taken a hostage. For the whole mission I thought it was an entirely scripted sequence and the game would never let me catch up to the guy and even if I got to him the game would just pretend that he got away for "story reasons" because I was so accoustomed to it...like it happens so often in RDR2 where the simulation and immersion makes me expect something else. Turns out I was wrong in Black Ops 2, I could've caught that guy and avoided going through a whole rescue mission later on. In contrast I'll describe an annoying chase mission in RDR. You are chasing a kid in St Denis and he always gets away whenever you close in on him. Then at one point the kid boards a tram through the front door while I'm inches away from him and then I see Arthur give up even though the back door of the tram is right next to him...that was so awful to see and not at all what I'd do in real life. So the "simulation" and "immersion" breaks.

And I don't see a narrative reason for why that had to happen. I could have grabbed that kid way earlier rather than having to go through a terribly long and poorly done chase and then that kid could've taken me to his hideout to give me the information I needed through the same exact cutscene. No change in narrative or pacing but tons of benefits in player agency!

Can I just say that the BO2 'choices' was honestly so under appreciated at the time? I did that same mission too, thinking that it was all just scripted... I felt like my mind had been blown when I discovered you could stop them in that mission. Cause most games would have made it obvious or much easier to not fail.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume one of those reasons is because these people probably don't try play off the beaten track and just b-line straight to what they are told to do.

Same here, at first it was amazing but the more I played the more you could see behind the curtain at how simple everything was.
I'm an inquisitive type of player and I was failing missions a lot for trying something. Now I'm picking it up a few times a week to do a few missions doing precisely what it wants me to do.

I've made the complaint before in another thread but there's an actual side mission where they've voiced alternative outcomes but they are all fail states unless you do what the developer that created the mission wanted so it makes me wonder why they voiced it at all.

The magic is partially gone but I'm still impressed by the story telling, voice acting, animations and world itself.
I'll get there eventually, I don't hate it I'm just disappointed that such a well crafted game's major flaw is it's mission design.

I really hope they shy away from this in the future and make things a lot more creative and optional.
Stop making authorities like something out of Minority Report, give me at least the black and white option of kill or don't kill with SOME quests because I understand some need to be story related.

Holy shit yes, I never thought about that but you are right.
Some missions actually did that, but a huge amount did not.
It's funny to hear you say that you find simplicity the problem, when that's exactly what I preferred about Red Dead Redemption (1). This game just isn't "fun" to me because there are way too many things to think about. Oh shit, my horse is dirty, oh shit, my gun is dirty, oh snap, a stranger quest - better get to it before it disappears, same with bounties, oh snap, my camp is running out of ammo and food.

Yet, with all that in mind, it also seems like none of it really matters. I put it to my friend like this, and I think this basically describes my feelings:

"When I watch movies like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and think "fuck I want to play a game like this" - they don't show them hunting for hours and making sure their buddies are stocked with food and medicine, they just ride around, be badass, shoot each other, and say cool shit."

That's what the first RDR did so well to me, and what this one is kind of failing at.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, but to be fair, it's a much more complex medium to review than movies and music, that's way more subjective.

But yeah, since it's more complex, better reviewers are essential

When we have reviewers/journalists in media for games like that ign person who got caught copying loads of other reviews. Something definitely needs to change review wise. Same for how games like fallout 76 the reviews still gave it decent reviews and scored gamed like darksiders 3 alot worse for nothing but scared of Bethesda.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
It's funny to hear you say that you find simplicity the problem, when that's exactly what I preferred about Red Dead Redemption (1). This game just isn't "fun" to me because there are way too many things to think about. Oh shit, my horse is dirty, oh shit, my gun is dirty, oh snap, a stranger quest - better get to it before it disappears, same with bounties, oh snap, my camp is running out of ammo and food.

Oh no I meant simple in terms of mission design, the rest of what you said I completely agree with it's the menial tasks which get boring so damned quick.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think that some developers prioritize good graphics because it sells better. Obviosly good gameplay needs more planning and better designers, but even if R* could do a game that offers both, they know that using most of the resources on graphics, voice actors and world detail means more money for them. You release some good trailer with incredible visuals and you'll sell a lot of copies. The problem is that reviewers don't go into gameplay details and most of them only praise and praise the cinematic feeling bla bla instead of doing a good article on the. whole game.

One of the reviewers from Eurogamer Spain said that the gunplay feels like Max Payne. This is a fucking lie, but nobody will care, because he praised the game all the way like most reviewers, so the review is fine for most people.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say good gameplay and good graphics are mutually exclusive. Just that whenever a developer tries to hide their bad gameplay with good graphics it usually works.

I think it's a combo of ridonkulous production design and attention to detail being a distraction + the Rockstar pedigree and juggernaut of ad campaigns that they bring with new releases + milking the nostalgia of said pedigree of past titles and using that as a launch pad for "OMG NEW ROCKSTAR GAME! BEST EVER!!!" I swear its like a form of mass hypnosis wrt how the hype machine can warp perspectives.

On a similar note...I played the shit out of GTAV because of the world and characters, but that game kept me hooked in longer due to having more ways of creating fun and hijinx due to all the modern tools at your disposal ie weapons, vehicles etc. Despite that even with V I knew that rigid old school gameplay loop of 'go here get mission, convo with accompany npc follows on way to shootout or robbery, escape or drop off npc at home' felt entirely too dated for the leap in world complexity that was presented.

Like, I objectively recognize how incredible the scope and detail of RDR2 is presentation wise, but after the free roam novelty has worn off and you start to see the umpteenth snake bite victim alongside the road the veneer starts to dull a bit. Loved the hunting and pelt crafting component but aside from that there wasn't a whole lot that kept me sucked in to the open world gameplay at large once I completed the story, plus online is an obnoxious griefer's paradise. I wish this game hit me like the original did but no dice unfortunately. Then again Arthur Morgan is probably the strongest character+performance I've witnessed in a game to date so there's that :)

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
It's really hard to disagree with any of his points. I will go to bat for GTA IV any day, but RDR2 is one of the worst Rockstar games released.

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017

Yet, with all that in mind, it also seems like none of it really matters. I put it to my friend like this, and I think this basically describes my feelings:

"When I watch movies like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and think "fuck I want to play a game like this" - they don't show them hunting for hours and making sure their buddies are stocked with food and medicine, they just ride around, be badass, shoot each other, and say cool shit."

That's what the first RDR did so well to me, and what this one is kind of failing at.
Bang on. To me it seems like someone noticed that people liked survival games so they decided that they'd chuck in a bunch of systems that at face value seem incredibly important, then forgot about fleshing them out, meaning that the player doesn't ever really have to engage in them. I know I didn't for the 30 odd hours I played anyway and I felt like there was absolutely no effect on my experience, so I was just left thinking why did this shit even make it into the game?

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
He gave an answer to that question in this video :)
It's almost like most people don't even watch the video before posting in the thread! Craziness.

The video was great and echoed most of my exact complaints. I was SO excited for RDR2 and really wanted to like it, but at the end of the day, for me, it flubbed on so many big aspects that I found myself not really having fun about halfway through.

Props to Rockstar for making such a beautiful world and one of my favourite protagonists though. I can't take that away from them.

Nov 11, 2017
For me what feels outdated is the way the missions are limited. And you'll often get fail states if you don't follow exactly what was designed. But to tell the story they want I feel it's necessary. Frustrating at times, but necessary.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like most people don't even watch the video before posting in the thread! Craziness.

The video was great and echoed most of my exact complaints. I was SO excited for RDR2 and really wanted to like it, but at the end of the day, for me, it flubbed on so many big aspects that I found myself not really having fun about halfway through.

Props to Rockstar for making such a beautiful world and one of my favourite protagonists though. I can't take that away from them.
I saw the video start to finish when this thread was posted and then skimmed through it today, but I still don't remember/recall why he sits on a ball. It's a 30 min long video about RDR2 and its mechanics so its easy to miss a little tertiary (or irrelevant) detail like that even after watching the video.

Oct 29, 2017
One of the points Jakey makes that kind of gets overlooked in the discussion surrounding this video is the fact that even the so-called "emergent gameplay" scenarios are actually all identical, and really the only difference is 1) whether the player chooses to engage and 2) at what time they encounter this. It's not like systems collide with each other to create interesting narratives, everything is still dispensed in extremely curated, overly designed chunks but are peppered throughout the game. Like the guy you help with the snake bite that you later find in a town and he buys a gun for you. R* presents it like its this dynamic, emergent thing, but it's just yet another scripted encounter disguised as one. The illusion dissolves as soon as you realize nearly every single player had that exact same interaction at some point.

Why reinvent the wheel. I don't think Uncharted games make huge leaps into new and different directions either, doesn't seem to hurt the sales or critical reception.

Edit: Also I don't think having some freedom and choice how to differently tackle missions/quests is in any way a new idea. It's just more of a (c)RPG/Immersive Sim thing. Or open world games that don't necessarily have many set objectives to accomplish and rely on freeform gaming (Minecraft, survival games).

The concept of freedom and choice isn't a new idea, but the march of technology has given developers more tools and technical horsepower to support that kind of gameplay. It's kind of understood by all parties that a game with freedom of choice requires more technical acumen/horsepower to support all the alternate forms of play.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bang on. To me it seems like someone noticed that people liked survival games so they decided that they'd chuck in a bunch of systems that at face value seem incredibly important, then forgot about fleshing them out, meaning that the player doesn't ever really have to engage in them. I know I didn't for the 30 odd hours I played anyway and I felt like there was absolutely no effect on my experience, so I was just left thinking why did this shit even make it into the game?
Yeah, exactly. Even the whole "cores" thing seems like an over complicated way to just have...health bars. No need to reinvent the wheel, especially with an overly complex and unnecessary alternative.

I've literally never crafted anything at a campfire, nor have I felt the need to get better guns (yet).