• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Warning: leave this thread if you haven't finished the game. Massive spoilers ahead!

Alright, what a roller coaster this game was. Hell of a journey that took me 8-9 months to finish! After spending around 70-80 hours in this world, ladies and gentlemen, I have tosay, I'm baffled as hell!

Let's start from the beginning. I bought this game at launch not because I love Rockstar games, because I LOVED the first one. RDR was pretty much the only Rockstar game that I loved tbh. So I wanted to play it as soon as possible. I knew this game is going to be something special, but I was not ready for this massive, amazing, breathing world. I was blown away with graphics, details, animations, acting, writing, and pretty much everything in the first hours. Remember when we thought Arthur wouldn't be as good as John? What a fool I was. What a goddamn fool I was. I just needed 2-3 hours to know I was wrong.

I fell in love with this game even before Chapter II stars. Before I figure out I saw nothing from this game. I didn't know I will spend lots of hours in hunting! I didn't know I will meet NPCs that feels so goddamn alive! This game did set a new bar for Open World genre. Call me crazy, but it almost took me 30 hours to finish Chapter II. You wanna know how I was lost in this game? Lemme tell you I'm not into Open World games at all. Hate them. It's not my cup of tea. But with this game? Oh boi, it was different. I was not myself anymore. I turned off the mini-map, just to bring more immersion into the game. I decided to use road signs to find my way. I didn't use fast travel even once. Me! The guy who's not an OP gamer and plays 3-4 linear games every year, cuz he doesn't have the passion that he had in the past for games. Isn't it crazy? I "INSISTED" to do every single activity and side-quest. I explored the whole map (almost) before Chapter III. And that my friends, was my biggest mistake I think.

50 hours in, after all things that I did (which was unnecessary at that point), after spending huge amount of time in the world before the story really kicks in, I was a little tired and bored. Gameplay started to getting cheezy sometimes and I stared to dislike the repetitiveness missions and hating level design. Controls/gunplay was clunky and I just wasn't enjoying the game like I used to. My way of playing was not smart, the game wasn't great gameplay-wise, and I my health situation wasn't the best at the time. So I dropped the game.

All this nonsense that I said above, happened in 3-4 weeks. I didn't play it until 2 weeks ago. I left this game for 6-7 months? I dunno exactly. but let me tell you something sad, in that period of time, somebody spoiled the ending for me. I fucking knew Arthur is going to die. Didn't know how tho. So this was another reason to keep me away from this game. But 2 weeks ago, I said fuck it. I was told that the game will show itself after Chapter IV. So I decided to turn my PS4 on, and play the rest of the game, and have some goddamn faith. But this time I was using mini-map, I focused on main missions more, and I was using fast travels after 50-60 hours ffs. And it was a good decision.

You know, I am a whore for well written stories/characters and good character development. I knew Arthur was a great protagonist from the start. I knew the story is going to be amazing. But honestly, if 2 weeks ago you told me Arthur Morgan will be your favourite protagonist of all time alongside Joel, I would call you crazy. I loved new Kratos and Geralt (TW3), but even they failed to sit on the throne with Joel. But Rockstar did it. From the moment that I found out Arthur has tuberculosis to his very last moment, he was something special in my eyes. What a poetic and genius way to kill your protagonist! Hats off Rockstar.

So why am I confused? Well, for a story whore guy like me, a game like RDR II, with this amazing story, writing, protagonist and world, has to be Game of this generation. But it's... not? I can't even call it 2018 GoTY. Story related things are my priority in games, and I thought God of War offered the best quality in those terms before I finished this game. But nope. I admit it. RDR II did a better job. And you have to be a monster to beat God of War's story, writing, characters... and RDR II was that monster. But... but it suffers from poor level design and horrible contorls/gunplay. So what have you done Rockstar? This game was so damn close to be perfect. You made something special with annoying flaws. Hands-down the best map I've ever seen. One of the best cinematic experiences in gaming history. You wrote a protagonist that I will never forget, just like Joel (it's a fucking huge compliment from me. Believe me. Even Kratos (2018) didn't reach this point). You made me fell in love with an Open World game -an impossible thing to do- and I lived in that world with all of those stupid amount of details, and it was nice. Couldn't you just fix your old gameplay/level design issues? This game deserved it. I wish they fix it next time. And of course, thanks for making this masterpiece.

I will always remember you Arthur Morgan. You were a good man, and you did your best, and I know you're not afraid anymore. Rest in peace, cowboi.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I personally enjoyed the time I spent with John in RDR1 more than the time I spent with Arthur in RDR2 (even more so now after seeing how immature he was in RDR2), but god damn was RDR2 a fantastic game. Definitely going to have to replay it on PC at some point down the road after mods come out that fix some of the issues with RDR2.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, what's so special about crazy Joel guy. He's just another sad dad in the post-apocalypse. Who also likes to kill people.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Epilogue though... mostly very unnecessary story elements. Rockstar really needs to learn how to pace your game, the story is great... but some of the bits with pacing ruins it. And moments where characters dont act "real" ruin the moments at times for me too. Why oh why is Arthur and the gang not splitting after its obvious Micah is a piece of crap by Chapter 4 is beyond me. Why they dont split when Dutch becomes so erratic he kills that guy in Saint Denis when the Gator eats his body is beyond me, because they all know it's going down hill from there, you kbow, killing the most powerful man in St Denis. Why would Hosea be dumb enough to want to see half the stuff happen between those two families just for gold... that they say may or may not be real from the very beginning is beyond me.
It was a great game... but.. the "gamey" aspects of the story ruin it, stop me from totally believing the characters are real. Rockstar, the world geniuses, no one makes them alive like they do. But story wise... its not perfect.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I *just* watched the credits roll, after getting deep into Chapter 6 and dropping the game entirely last Thanksgiving. The final stretch feels overlong, and while the story has pacing issues it's hard to dispute both the generosity of content and how thoughtful and refined the game feels. Rockstar might as well have delivered a complete syndication-ready Western TV series with how it balances a breathtakingly epic, cinematic arc that's stuffed with ancillary narrative nuggets. And even a year later, nothing touches it in the graphics department. I could watch my horse galloping across the open world in Cinematic Mode for hours.

Hitman 1+2 remain my GOTG, but Rockstar is truly peerless whenever they throw all their resources at their marquee projects and redefine what's possible in a virtual world.

Oh, and I kept my dirty-gray starter horse for the entire game. She truly was a good girl.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Mmmm. I feel you to an extent.
I mean, at this very moment, my Xbox is on and I'm playing RDR2 for the fourth time, after spending probably close to 350 hours in it overall.

I gotta agree that the missions aren't very exciting, especially not for the 4th time around. They're very railroaded and set-piecey.
But the moment I leave the camp and just roam the world, everything is forgiven. RDR2 does grounded, living open world like no other game
In other open world games, what do I do? What do I do in AC Odyssey or Spider-man? I hunt map markers, be it mission givers or collectibles.
The open world in those games serves only to connect those points of interest.

In RDR2, I just fuck around in the open world, I hunt, I make camp and brew some coffee at night, I marvel at the way the sun comes up and lights
up the plains. I spend 15 minutes climbing a mountain because I can. I watch people do their thing in Valentine. I play poker for a while. I annoy some
stranger on the road at night until he starts to run. Then I chase him around the map for 20 minutes, yelling insults at his back all the while.
It's sublime. There are games that do missions better, sure. The ponderous animations might not be for everyone, sure. But goddamn if this isn't my GOTG
despite all the flaws.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Idk I thought the story was kinda weak lol.

If it was a TV show people would be complaining about how stupid all the characters are, much like The Walking Dead.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Arthur is one of the best main characters I've ever played as. The scene where he thanks his dying horse and then his death legit broke my heart.

OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Idk I thought the story was kinda weak lol.

If it was a TV show people would be complaining about how stupid all the characters are, much like The Walking Dead.
I know. The story itself was not the best thing about this game. Had some flaws. But they did a fantastic job with Arthur Morgan's development. That alone brings this game somewhere special.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I think Arthur saying "thank you" to his dying horse was worse :(

I would agree,
but my horse that had been with me for the longest time got murdered by a faulty cut -scene when
you meet a girl from your old camp that goes off to be a book author. you see I randomly walked over to the train tracks
and her train came to pick her up - arthor waves good bye - but my horse got ran over for miles and miles while the cut scene played out - when the cut scene was over - I didn't even get a chance to revive the horse - because the cut scene train teleported him so far away from the map.

so by the time my I got to the scene that you are referring to - It was the most vanilla horse that I had with me,
I had zero bonds with it- I don't even think it was the one I stole - the game gave me a a default horse or something.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Arthur was such an incredible protagonist. I connected with him more than John in the first game, and I love John.

Telling the sister at the train station that he's afraid of dying. Or when you thank your horse as it's dying on the last mission. Holy shit man. Absolute emotional gut punches.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I know. The story itself was not the best thing about this game. Had some flaws. But they did a fantastic job with Arthur Morgan's development. That alone brings this game somewhere special.

Yeah Arthur was pretty dope.

For me what made the game special was the world itself. I loved roaming the world doing all the side challenges and meeting weird locals. I kinda saw the story as a hindrance to that, because at around chapter 4 it really doesn't make sense to go off and do all the side activities anymore story-wise lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Arthur saying "thank you" to his dying horse was worse :(
Damn that was a strong moment.

But the moment that really stuck with me? Arthur saying goodbye to Sadie and Abigail. When Abigail hands Arthur the key to Dutch's chest, with Arthur saying "Abigail Roberts" and "Thats The Way It Is" kicking in...whoa nelly that was powerful. Legit brought a tear to my eye.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So a thing I thought of when reading about your Chapter II-heavy initial playthrough, where you mentioned you did every sidequest you could find during that big 50 hour trek - there's more sidequests that only open up as you get through more chapters, so it seems like maybe you had a slightly lopsided experience in that regard? Did you do more sidequest-y stuff when you went back to it? Most of it is available in postgame anyway so I don't think you'll have missed out on anything.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
My problem with RDR2 is that the world and the story simply don't match. The world is super open, and the story is the opposite. The fact that you can't kill the guy that makes you sick is one of the things that I don't like. Story is also very good until the end of chapter 3 (best chapter imo) but, like the gang, it starts to go downhill. Think that when Dutch starts to do a lot of dumb stuff, it becomes harder to believe that those characters would stay with him. I felt very strange when Javier started with all that loyalty talk and just sided with Dutch for example. Anyway, it's a really good game, but I still prefer the first one.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
In RDR2, I just fuck around in the open world, I hunt, I make camp and brew some coffee at night, I marvel at the way the sun comes up and lights
up the plains. I spend 15 minutes climbing a mountain because I can. I watch people do their thing in Valentine. I play poker for a while. I annoy some
stranger on the road at night until he starts to run. Then I chase him around the map for 20 minutes, yelling insults at his back all the while.
It's sublime. There are games that do missions better, sure. The ponderous animations might not be for everyone, sure. But goddamn if this isn't my GOTG
despite all the flaws.

I'll never understand why I found all the mundane stuff, the most fun. I never felt that I needed to do those things, I just wanted my damn coffee. I drank so much coffee.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I took a 7 month break before I finished it too. But for me it was because my PS4 broke down.

And even though I hated RDR1 I ended up loving RDR2. Its like Shenmue meets RDR. It's great.

Last edited:

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Arthur my favorite video game protagonist of all time. The mission design and controls aren't great, but everything else in this game is 10/10 and feels like it was made for me specifically. Fucking love this game.

Aug 10, 2019
I don't get it, what's so special about crazy Joel guy. He's just another sad dad in the post-apocalypse. Who also likes to kill people.
He's exceptionally well written, acted and has realistic character development that directly contributes to the arch of the plot. That's more than 99% of television and film has achieved.

Coming from a medium that a lot of people dismiss as childish and shallow.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking when the game was being marketed how boring and generic Arthur seemed, even compared to John.

Heh. How wrong I was. One of the best protagonists in a game... the whole thing is truly incredible. I've recently returned to give RDO a shot and keep getting sucked back into that world, it's still completely peerless and even with some upcoming open world titles I don't suspect it will be surpassed in it's depth, authenticity, and character until the next R* game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The dialogue in RDR2 is really some kind of achievement in video games. It's amazing the high quality is kept throughout this 100-hour game. RDR2 has to be the best written game I've ever played.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I would agree,
but my horse that had been with me for the longest time got murdered by a faulty cut -scene when
you meet a girl from your old camp that goes off to be a book author. you see I randomly walked over to the train tracks
and her train came to pick her up - arthor waves good bye - but my horse got ran over for miles and miles while the cut scene played out - when the cut scene was over - I didn't even get a chance to revive the horse - because the cut scene train teleported him so far away from the map.

so by the time my I got to the scene that you are referring to - It was the most vanilla horse that I had with me,
I had zero bonds with it- I don't even think it was the one I stole - the game gave me a a default horse or something.
I feel bad for laughing at this

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My problem with RDR2 is that the world and the story simply don't match. The world is super open, and the story is the opposite. The fact that you can't kill the guy that makes you sick is one of the things that I don't like. Story is also very good until the end of chapter 3 (best chapter imo) but, like the gang, it starts to go downhill. Think that when Dutch starts to do a lot of dumb stuff, it becomes harder to believe that those characters would stay with him. I felt very strange when Javier started with all that loyalty talk and just sided with Dutch for example. Anyway, it's a really good game, but I still prefer the first one.
Exactly.

OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
So a thing I thought of when reading about your Chapter II-heavy initial playthrough, where you mentioned you did every sidequest you could find during that big 50 hour trek - there's more sidequests that only open up as you get through more chapters, so it seems like maybe you had a slightly lopsided experience in that regard? Did you do more sidequest-y stuff when you went back to it? Most of it is available in postgame anyway so I don't think you'll have missed out on anything.
That 50 hours was not just doing side-quests. I was doing lots of other stuff without using fast travel and mini-map. I was using the camping option pretty much every night to kill some birds and eat some food. And when I did all available side-quests, you'd find me in the middle of nowhere, hunting for literally 2-3 hours just to craft a coat.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game was so good! One of the best games of my life and it was difficult for me to play other games days after RDR2.
I don't think we can see so much details in a game like RDR2 in near future. Played it for hours and hours and the game still had lots of interesting things that I didn't know before going Youtube.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
First of all you have impeccable taste in games that is for sure and like you I also avoid bloated open world games in general. They are not always fun to me, but just dragging at times.

Arthur really impressed me as one of the best written protagonists in gaming. Character development goes through the roof. The world is so detailed with plenty of random encounters.

However at the time Controls were clunky and the world was just too large and all you had was 1 horsepower to traverse with. Personally I loved that, but it was and still is super off putting to many folk.

Also it can be pretty busy work if you want all the trophies. Personally I quit trying to go for the Plat. Way too much of a chore..

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad that some of the gang member find happy ending. I smiled at Mary Beth finding success as trashy romance writer, or Pearlson having his own store, or Tilly finding good husband.

Also Charles did a great job in picking place for Arthur's grave.

Also it still blew my mind that they made John version for the sidequests, including taking account if the sidequests started but not yet completed by Arthur. I thought they simply made all Arthur's sidequests gone in post game.

That being said the criticism to mission design is valid. Like one of the final missions literally play like a tutorial mission for stealth mechanic...

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You know, I am a whore for well written stories/characters and good character development.
The story is full BS and Arthur didn't evolved whatsoever. He is a simple man and die as a simple man. The last third of the main story is watching Arthur keep following Dutch and Micah while you see everything is wrong about it.
Arthur not killing Micah way before is questionable.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I have been playing RDR II for several months now and been only making very slow progress, so I wanted to ask:
I just returned from
Guarma
- how much of the game have I roughly still left?

Sorry, to shortly hijack the thread, but since it was a thread about RDR II I figured I'd shoot this quick question.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Arthur Morgan in RDR2 is a better character than John Marston in RDR1. I think is the best written character of all time.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I have been playing RDR II for several months now and been only making very slow progress, so I wanted to ask:
I just returned from
Guarma
- how much of the game have I roughly still left?

Sorry, to shortly hijack the thread, but since it was a thread about RDR II I figured I'd shoot this quick question.

Around 30%, if you count both epilogue parts.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's exceptionally well written, acted and has realistic character development that directly contributes to the arch of the plot. That's more than 99% of television and film has achieved.

What? Are you kidding me? What films are you watching?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
One of the most emotional scenes for me, something that rarely gets mentioned in relation to some of the bigger ones, is when John is about to ask Abigail to marry him, and he glances at the photo of Arthur and Mary. It's a very subtle moment, but it's so damn effective. In that moment, everything that Arthur did for John paid off. So beautiful.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

come on. I like tlou and I think Joel and overall the game is very well written , one of the best written games in the medium. But TLOU has nothing on Films and Television as far as character writing goes . If we considering the highest quality shows and films . Sure if we take something like superhero CW shows or a lot of netflix mediocrity , then i would agree. But otherwise , thats just wrong

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar experience where I did put the game down for half a year, then when I returned I fell in love with it all over again and couldn't stop playing.
If I have a problem with Arthur's death it was his illness' consequences on gameplay. I can't say if I was more annoyed at the limitations it brought or more weirded out that they weren't severe enough. I think they should have designed the last part more linearly to make his illness and death more impactful. Because I just kept wandering the open world for more pelts for certain outfits which was at odds with the story's tone at that point. Still with all they were going for and all the game has to offer I don't feel much need to criticise, it's a fantastic, boundary pushing game and I enjoyed it like no other open world experience.