• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
My wife and I started playing online not so long ago and we had to activate passive mode since there was players targeting my wife avatar only because she gave her a dark skin (my wife is a poc for lack of a better wording on my part) and me for hanging with her. Honorable mention to a person that had a police car chasing and wrecking us around.

Maybe fix that shit too Rockstar?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The time coincides with George's memorial today. Pretty unprecedented, and while it's a small gesture, it is still appreciated. Just make sure you don't read the Twitter comments.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's been cathartic this past week to just log into GTA5 Online, get my wanted level up and then just kill cop after cop.

Wulex

Banned
Feb 28, 2020
Do you know how many people play GTA and RDR online? The impact of doing this is significant. People need to slow down with the "BUT DID THEY DONATE?" posts.

I know, but how many players do you think that they care? They probably are raging cause they can't play their game for this shut down man, they only care about their games not about the world

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While I would love to think that's actually true, this is what I'm actually thinking about it

I wouldn't put it past Rockstar to pull something like that.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
For a company that exploits a lot of Black culture, they sure as hell need to more than that. No way this is enough.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Do you know how many people play GTA and RDR online? The impact of doing this is significant. People need to slow down with the "BUT DID THEY DONATE?" posts.
They will lose money but it's not like they are going to donate those money to the cause.
Maybe they will do this and we don't know, but from what we know I don't see how this is a useful gesture for what's happening.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be even more cynical during all of this, but this reads more like "we need to fix our servers and this is a good way to act like we care."

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
While I would love to think that's actually true, this is what I'm actually thinking about it

I wouldn't put it past Rockstar to pull something like that.

Honestly, I had the same thought.

But it does coincide with George Floyd's memorial. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt than to think it was just a cleverly disguised, convenient maintenance period.

Jul 26, 2018
It's been cathartic this past week to just log into GTA5 Online, get my wanted level up and then just kill cop after cop.
Yea.... what's up with the severs? I was playing a full heist with buddies last night and the severs are just GARBAGE!

Literally takes 5 mins to load a sever, then another 5 mins to join our friend's lobby. But of course... someone just has to have errors and can't join. Once heist is finished, literally 10 minute wait just to get back at the lobby.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
You're upset that I'm killing pixels in a game that was created to do that very thing?

Yea.... what's up with the severs? I was playing a full heist with buddies last night and the severs are just GARBAGE!

Literally takes 5 mins to load a sever, then another 5 mins to join our friend's lobby. But of course... someone just has to have errors and can't join. Once heist is finished, literally 10 minute wait just to get back at the lobby.

Lot of people playing lately doing the same thing. Groups of players going to the middle of the city and getting 5 star ratings so more and more cops come. On PS4 at least it destroys the framerate.

Chuck Bass

Banned
Mar 17, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, lecturing and antagonizing other members over a series of posts in a serious thread about racism; account in junior phase
You're upset that I'm killing pixels in a game that was created to do that very thing?

Lot of people playing lately doing the same thing. Groups of players going to the middle of the city and getting 5 star ratings so more and more cops come. On PS4 at least it destroys the framerate.

Pretty sure it's your usage of cathartic, bruv. But do you.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

No, its that you said its cathartic.

Your expressing that your getting relief from the current issue by murdering cops, for fun, intentionally for the sole purpose of a personal vendetta that all cops are bad.....and should be killed.

I played gtav, loved it. But not once did I have gratification from killing to satisfy some deep seeded issues.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Months): Downplaying and minimizing police brutality and systemic racism, antagonizing other members; prior severe ban for ableism
Like many people, I've been watching cops physically abuse/maim/kill peaceful protestors all around the country. My word choice is fine. But thanks for trying to police it.
I'm pretty sure any police officers causing abuse in developed countries are being appropriately dealt with and it really isn't as much of a widespread problem as you're making out. US cops kill about 1,000 people every year in a country of over 300 million and you can guarantee most of those were weapon-wielding criminals and those that weren't haven't been glossed over.

But a video hits social media and one cop (he could get 25 years btw) murdering someone is indicative of genocide.

Racism is still a massive problem in society and recent events will hopefully lead to positive changes but let's not blow something out of proportion and describe killing cops in a video game as cathartic because of a handful of real-life incidents in relative terms. Cops aren't inherently evil.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm pretty sure any police officers causing abuse in developed countries are being appropriately dealt with and it really isn't as much of a widespread problem as you're making out.
There's a 3+ gig video compilation going around of police abuses from just this past week. So I'm gonna say nahhhhhh on "being appropriately dealt with".

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you Rockstar for ending racism!

Brands should just shut the fuck up and give money.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

Your expressing that your getting relief from the current issue by murdering cops, for fun, intentionally for the sole purpose of a personal vendetta that all cops are bad.....and should be killed.

I played gtav, loved it. But not once did I have gratification from killing to satisfy some deep seeded issues.
Fucking hell. Grow up.

Being a police officer is a job not a race.

Here's a list of 261 instances of police brutality from the last few days, why you go watch this all and tell us about how those were just bad apples and the good cops arrested the bad cops on the spot.
bGjGZJJ.png

So yeah, people are angry.
They're seeing police officers crush peaceful protests with violence.

So if someone wants to kill some cops in a pretend game, why can't that be cathartic?

The deep seated issue isn't someone playing video games.
It's the police brutalising the people they're meant to help.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, 2 full hours. I'll pray for you GTA Online fans. You can make it.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Fucking hell. Grow up.

Being a police officer is a job not a race.

Here's a list of 261 instances of police brutality from the last few days, why you go watch this all and tell us about how those were just bad apples and the good cops arrested the bad cops on the spot.
bGjGZJJ.png

So yeah, people are angry.
They're seeing police officers crush peaceful protests with violence.

So if someone wants to kill some cops in a pretend game, why can't that be cathartic?

The deep seated issue isn't someone playing video games.
It's the police brutalising the people they're meant to help.
Who said a single breath of race ? And you honestly believe the mentality of your post ?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure any police officers causing abuse in developed countries are being appropriately dealt with and it really isn't as much of a widespread problem as you're making out. US cops kill about 1,000 people every year in a country of over 300 million and you can guarantee most of those were weapon-wielding criminals and those that weren't haven't been glossed over.

But a video hits social media and one cop (he could get 25 years btw) murdering someone is indicative of genocide.

Racism is still a massive problem in society and recent events will hopefully lead to positive changes but let's not blow something out of proportion and describe killing cops in a video game as cathartic because of a handful of real-life incidents in relative terms. Cops aren't inherently evil.

If this is your reading of current events you're either blind or complicit. Just take a few minutes and look at videos of cops.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I don't think it's very different from me loving killing nazis in Wolfenstein or being excited to shoot a bunch of KKK in Mafia 3. I'm not going to own a gun or ever shoot anyone irl, but it is cathartic to shoot oppressive racists in games or see them die in movies.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Who said a single breath of race ? And you honestly believe the mentality of your post ?
I'm pointing out that you can quit being a cop.
They're not some protected / minority class.

The game is about commiting crimes. You're introduced to one of the main characters by him murdering someone by stomping on their head until a bit of brain sticks to their shoe.

You conduct a waterboarding on an innocent person at the behest of the FBI in the game.

Getting 5 Stars and getting the army called on you is part of the game.

Tell me, go look at that clip of a police officer in Indianapolis. He's sexually assualting that protester.
When she tries to break away from him. She gets fucking shot with a paintball gun and beaten.

After watching that, how do you feel?
Is your first instinct to go "Oh, not all cops are bad!!!!!" or is it anger?
Anger at a fucked up system where they can do what they want with no consequence.

Catharsis is defined as:
the process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions.

So why not if you're angry go get 5* in this fictional video game and release some stress?

Also "single breath" ? Really?

Edit:

Holy shit.
I just realised.
The western games industry made so many fucking games of killing brown people in the middle east.
Catharsis for the Afganistan and Iraq wars?
Of 9/11?

I presume to you that's fine.

Last edited:

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know, but how many players do you think that they care? They probably are raging cause they can't play their game for this shut down man, they only care about their games not about the world
If even 1% of their users take notice, take action and/or donate then it's worth it. The world is in a bad place and people have a reason to be cynical to some degree, but being this cynical is not good for progress.

They will lose money but it's not like they are going to donate those money to the cause.
Maybe they will do this and we don't know, but from what we know I don't see how this is a useful gesture for what's happening.
I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about reach and impact. Donations are definitely needed but we also need to challenge and upset those that are just unwilling to engage with these issues. That's not to say Rockstar moved mountains with this decision but, as I pointed out above, they may have engaged people who might not have been otherwise.

Prygelknabe

Nov 1, 2017
The game has millions of players. I don't think think it's fair to generalize them like that.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm pointing out that you can quit being a cop.
They're not some protected / minority class.

The game is about commiting crimes. You're introduced to one of the main characters by him murdering someone by stomping on their head until a bit of brain sticks to their shoe.

You conduct a waterboarding on an innocent person at the behest of the FBI in the game.

Getting 5 Stars and getting the army called on you is part of the game.

Tell me, go look at that clip of a police officer in Indianapolis. He's sexually assualting that protester.
When she tries to break away from him. She gets fucking shot with a paintball gun and beaten.

After watching that, how do you feel?
Is your first instinct to go "Oh, not all cops are bad!!!!!" or is it anger?
Anger at a fucked up system where they can do what they want with no consequence.

Catharsis is defined as:
the process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions.

So why not if you're angry go get 5* in this fictional video game and release some stress?

Also "single breath" ? Really?

Edit:

Holy shit.
I just realised.
The western games industry made so many fucking games of killing brown people in the middle east.
Catharsis for the Afganistan and Iraq wars?
Of 9/11?

I presume to you that's fine.
The problem is your thinking with emotion. You cant apply logic when thinking that way.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to reply to Oracle, but then I realized he is just bait

It really ain't worth it