• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Other UK devs should be furious with Rockstar for taking almost 20% of the money made available to the industry and giving absolutely nothing in return.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The business judgment rule is a defense to alleged duty of care violations. My claim was that there is no legal obligation to maximize profits. In fact, the business judgment rule attests exactly to that - if a shareholder-plaintiff wants to allege that Director A should have made some decision to increase profits, the business judgment rule can be invoked to defend Director A's failure to do so.

While there is no outright obligation to maximize profits but there is a presumption that directors act in a way which promotes the value of the corporation to the benefit of shareholders. Also as pointed out by cdViking BJR does not protect a directors board seats.

For profit business are incentivized towards profit maximization. So for example when the BP oil spill (Deepwater Horizon) occurred BJR was used to protect the directors' decisions, (mismanagement claims) to maximize profits short term vs increased safety risks, against shareholder lawsuits.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
There is no outright obligation to maximize profits but there is a presumption that directors act in a way which promotes the value of the corporation to the benefit of shareholders. Also as pointed out by cdViking BJR does not protect the directors board seats. For profit business are incentivized towards profit maximization. So for example when the BP oil spill occurred BJR was used to protect the directors' decision.
Lol no one is disputing that dude. That is obvious. There was a claim in this thread that directors have a legal obligation to maximize profits for shareholders. I was only pointing out that that isn't true. I have no idea how we got off on the tangent of, "Well, shareholders want them to and can still fire them." Yes, clearly. But there is no legal obligation, which was the original and only point. And, frankly, a rampant misconception.
Don't hate the player. Hate the game. Rockstar's primary obligations are A) making games and B) making money. The flippant "f*** Rockstar posts" are extremely myopic and simple-minded.
Using "myopic" in this context loooooooooooooooool

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Don't hate the player. Hate the game. Rockstar's primary obligations are A) making games and B) making money. The flippant "f*** Rockstar posts" are extremely myopic and simple-minded.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
These things are pretty shitty but unfortunately they happen all around the globe. The tax relief is adding insult to the injury though.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
This thread is depressing to read.
Right?

It sure is funny that the type of person that excuses corporate greed is also almost always the type that frets over their personal taxes going to 'freeloaders.'

The real welfare kings and queens are the ones that have enough resources to squirm their way out of paying their fair share, if anything at all. Just remember: You're picking up their slack.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is with the law. But why should those taking such significant advantage not be called out?

Fun fact: they don't need/deserve you defending them.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
But that doesn't change why the law was written. It wasn't to give financial rewards to any and all UK video game developers.
Right?

It sure is funny that the type of person that excuses corporate greed is also almost always the type that frets over their personal taxes going to 'freeloaders.'

The real welfare kings and queens are the ones that have enough resources to squirm their way out of paying their fair share, if anything at all. Just remember: You're picking up their slack.
Corporations (in the context of legally maximizing profit to the detriment of public utility) aren't per se good or evil, they just are.

I agree with your conclusion. By minimizing its UK tax liability to zero, Rockstar North is definitely freeloading off of the economic environment that allows it to succeed, including consumption of government-funded public goods (directly, and through employees who consume those goods). It should absolutely pay taxes for its economic activity in accordance with that consumption. But why would it if isn't legally obligated to?

In the given instance, Rockstar North had to apply for the tax relief and demonstrate that it qualitatively satisfied the cultural criteria required by the law to qualify for the credit. That review was performed by the British Film Institute, which accepted the application and granted the credit. Unless misrepresentations had to be made in the application to qualify for the credit (if there was, there should be legal fallout), why wouldn't Rockstar North apply? It might be detrimental to society, but that's a function of the tax incentive program and not a specific motive of Rockstar North. Maybe the cultural criteria should have been more specific, or maybe the benefit decreased, or maybe it was just bad legislation in the first place.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Are you really saying if something is not outlawed, it's ethical? Holy fucking shit this forum sometimes, I swear.
It's neither ethical nor unethical. Corporations are faceless entities whose actions are a function of the regulatory environment they operate in, and sometimes rules and regulations are flawed. The tax credit in this case is especially indicative of this: there was no unforeseen loophole taken advantage of... Rockstar North literally submitted an application that was qualitatively reviewed and affirmatively accepted. Why would you expect anything different from a faceless entity?

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
But he has a point. The government should just make it illegal, not trust in poor little corporations to behave and not avoid taxes when they are able to.

But they will make it illegal when they can. The government didn't intentionally make a loophole, the company hired expensive lawyers to find a technical gap to exploit so as to avoid their obligations to society.

Oct 25, 2017
It's neither ethical nor unethical. Corporations are faceless entities whose actions are a function of the regulatory environment they operate in, and sometimes rules and regulations are flawed. The tax credit in this case is especially indicative of this: there was no unforeseen loophole taken advantage of... Rockstar North literally submitted an application that was qualitatively reviewed and affirmatively accepted. Why would you expect anything different from a faceless entity?
Go take an Ethics 101 class before painting my monitor with so much shit, I just cleaned it.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Without knowing the particulars of Rockstar's situation, if they had to pay massive taxes, they'd probably just make a deal with another government and move there. So I'm not sure tax reform is really the problem here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
This research on the Canadian games industry gives a really good analysis of tax reliefs and what they actually end up doing for the national economy and the people they're supposed to benefit:

EApKnsvWwAAiqBP

Basically, it's a fucking grift by multinational companies to extract exploited labor out of the country and in to their own pockets.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Without knowing the particulars of Rockstar's situation, if they had to pay massive taxes, they'd probably just make a deal with another government and move there. So I'm not sure tax reform is really the problem here.
I doubt the 650+ employees that make up Rockstar North will be thrilled with the idea of moving out to the middle of nowhere, just so their CEO won't have to pay taxes.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We should all dodge taxes! It'll be like Greece! What could go wrong?!

If the system allows you, why wouldn't you? lol

It's not an individual's job to bolster a broken and completely unfair & outdated tax system that *clearly* makes no sense, and allows huge companies with branches in multiple regions (like Rockstar) to qualify for the tax incentives.

If I had kids and there was a daycare subsidy, I would absolutely take it even if I didn't need it. We all should, if you qualify for it. Someone's going to get that money, it might as well be us. The money's already been allocated for that program, it's not going to go unused, or get returned to taxpayers as an unneeded surplus.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why tech companies easily get away with rotten and scummy things all the time? Is it because politicians are usually older people for whom tech is like rocket science from another galaxy and so they let tech companies go rampant and unchecked? We need more tech savvy people in politics.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Why tech companies easily get away with rotten and scummy things all the time? Is it because politicians are usually older people for whom tech is like rocket science from another galaxy and so they let tech companies go rampant and unchecked? We need more tech savvy people in politics.

Traditional non tech companies have been doing the same far longer. See GM, Molson Coors, Alaska Air, Chevron, Delta, Halliburton, Honeywell, several utility/energy/oil companies (PSE&G) etc.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
These laws need to be changed so that these big companies can no longer exploit these loop holes.

Is it too simple to ask for tax to be paid where a product is bought/consumed (so the money can't be moved to another country where the tax rate is lower)?

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Lol at folk expecting a massive multi-billion dollar company with teams of highly skilled lawyers and accountants to act ethically and to a high moral standard.

Don't ever look up pharmaceutical profiteering, war on drugs, wars in the middle east, military industrial complex, private/for-profit prisons, black money SAPs and the opioid epidemic to name but a few... you might have an aneurysm (and if you're in the US, probably in debt for life for the resulting treatment, if you can get it).

As scummy as it is, if it's legal there's not a whole lot you can do to convince them to do otherwise. You could start by not buying their products, writing to your MP, vote for people who want to prevent and crack down on this or change the laws, demonstrate/protest, writing to news publications and freelance journalists etc. Keep the conversation in public eye.

The only way to get politicians to look at this is to be persistent and make headlines, make it seem like going after these cowboys and thieves will win them the popular vote. Present the prospect of being voted in to power as more alluring and lucrative than the pay offs or benefits from lobbyists which allows them to either maintain tax loopholes or kick the issue further down the road while the economy hemorrhages money in to their offshore accounts.

If companies could make money from eating children, they would do so in an infant's heartbeat. That's why I am never surprised to see these kinds of headlines. No company is ever going to willingly pay the government massive sums of money more than they legally have to. R* North aren't blameless, they know exactly what they're doing, but it's all above deck. It's the tax system that needs fixing.
Dam

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
Corporations (in the context of legally maximizing profit to the detriment of public utility) aren't per se good or evil, they just are.

I agree with your conclusion. By minimizing its UK tax liability to zero, Rockstar North is definitely freeloading off of the economic environment that allows it to succeed, including consumption of government-funded public goods (directly, and through employees who consume those goods). It should absolutely pay taxes for its economic activity in accordance with that consumption. But why would it if isn't legally obligated to?

In the given instance, Rockstar North had to apply for the tax relief and demonstrate that it qualitatively satisfied the cultural criteria required by the law to qualify for the credit. That review was performed by the British Film Institute, which accepted the application and granted the credit. Unless misrepresentations had to be made in the application to qualify for the credit (if there was, there should be legal fallout), why wouldn't Rockstar North apply? It might be detrimental to society, but that's a function of the tax incentive program and not a specific motive of Rockstar North. Maybe the cultural criteria should have been more specific, or maybe the benefit decreased, or maybe it was just bad legislation in the first place.

If not evil, maybe sociopathic.
It's behavior to be expected, inherent in big business, but not something to be celebrated or approved of.
My issue is seeing so many people defend or even simply accept such practices as just the way things are. Corporations will get away with whatever they can. It's up to regulatory bodies to, you know, regulate and set those limits, ideally for the protection of people and society. So many people, even on a progressive-ish forum, seem to have the perspective that if something is law, it's somehow correct... ethical, right & good, handed down by god... maybe not realizing that regulations change all the time and are subject to heavy influence by the parties they are going to effect...

I don't disagree with anything in your post, I'm just saying that just because something is par-for-the-course doesn't mean people should tolerate it. If people don't express their dissatisfaction with crap like this, if the majority doesn't view these practices in a negative light, then it's never going to get better.

edit: Actually I will disagree with the idea that corporations can neither be ethical or unethical. Collective responsibility is a thing.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
And yet GTA VI will contain scathing criticism of corporate America and all its ills. Fuck 'em. And for the record, I don't respect anybody who makes excuses for Rockstar, Starbucks, Jimmy Carr, or anybody else that refuses to pay their way. We're at a point where public services in the UK are tragically underfunded. Schools, hospitals, policing. It doesn't matter whether it's legally "okay", it's morally mud to me. Pay. Your. Damn. Taxes.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Awful if confirmed. Tax law is a complicated mess but they absolutely shouldn't be getting tax relief if they haven't paid anything.

Rockstar North has been a powerhouse of the Scottish Games Industry and it's simply wrong they're not paying tax here.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Not surprising. All gaming companies are really bad about tax evasion. Has anyone calculated how much Canada has given Ubisoft over the years?

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
If not evil, maybe sociopathic.
It's behavior to be expected, inherent in big business, but not something to be celebrated or approved of.
My issue is seeing so many people defend or even simply accept such practices as just the way things are. Corporations will get away with whatever they can. It's up to regulatory bodies to, you know, regulate and set those limits, ideally for the protection of people and society. So many people, even on a progressive-ish forum, seem to have the perspective that if something is law, it's somehow correct... ethical, right & good, handed down by god... maybe not realizing that regulations change all the time and are subject to heavy influence by the parties they are going to effect...

I don't disagree with anything in your post, I'm just saying that just because something is par-for-the-course doesn't mean people should tolerate it. If people don't express their dissatisfaction with crap like this, if the majority doesn't view these practices in a negative light, then it's never going to get better.

edit: Actually I will disagree with the idea that corporations can neither be ethical or unethical. Collective responsibility is a thing.
I think I did a half-baked job explaining. Corporations are neither intrinsically ethical or unethical, as they are flow-throughs for and extensions of their stakeholders. I agree that people shouldn't tolerate the problems that might exist, but that dissatisfaction should be targeted at corporate stakeholders and the system that dictates how they operate.

The given situation is also one where people are conflating the activities employees of Rockstar North engaged in with respect to GTA 5 vs. the activities of the entire company. The merits of the VGTR credit are definitely questionable, but the bigger issue is what slice of the overall profit pie Rockstar North deserves. Rockstar North was only one of several development studios on the project, and we know nothing about where overall project directors sit, where all of the marketing activities where performed, how much market risk it had to bear, etc. If the functional profile of Rockstar North is that of a company that performs development leveraging IP it doesn't own, based on directions from personnel seated elsewhere, it's not going to be entitled to a huge portion of the profit from the games it develops.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
I hope no one that posted here is changing their console's region or have alternative accounts/VPNs to buy the games cheaper.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, unfortunately I sorta agree. Rockstar have shareholders, they have a legal obligation to make as much profit as possible. If it's legally possible to make greater profits, they will do this.

This is bullshit and I'm tired of seeing people use this as some sort of out for these companies. Corporations have no legal obligation to do any such thing. I don't know why so many people keep pretending it's a factual statment.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I would argue that if Grand Theft Auto was actually about UK culture the series wouldn't have a fraction of the financial success that is currently eluding the UK's corporation tax in the first place.

However a fraction of something is better than nothing, which is what they're getting now. Would you rather the RN move to America? The waters are muddied.

That's kind of an oxymoron, Grand Theft Auto is mired in UK culture. As in its the British cultural perspective of America, its mired in the cynicism and perspective that only a people from across the water could have. It wouldn't be nearly as popular if it was just a straight American product.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are people really shocked at this? Everyone (especailly the rich) looks after themselves and does what they can to save money. Those game consoles, where are they made?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That's kind of an oxymoron, Grand Theft Auto is mired in UK culture. As in its the British cultural perspective of America, its mired in the cynicism and perspective that only a people from across the water could have. It wouldn't be nearly as popular if it was just a straight American product.

So then you agree with the tax break because in your opinion GTA is British culture.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Corporation tax is levied on profits. Rockstar North are presumably diverting all their profits to Take Two through some loophole, so technically aren't making a profit, therefore no taxes. It's a standard way for businesses to fuck over the countries where they're based.

Where I am, I don't know a single company that wouldn't do this (ie avoid paying taxes). And the dirty secret is governments let them. Governments and businesses are out there to screw over common folk and rob them in broad daylight and laugh about it all the way home.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
If the government didn't have these loopholes then Rockstar North would pay, this is on the government for not doing their due diligence. What, you want Rockstar to pay more than what the government says it should pay, no company would do that just like that. Complain to your government.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The defence force is amazing.

FFS there are plenty wealthy individuals who avoid paying tax via various financial instruments and clever accounting practices and would also argue they do not break tax law.

Is anyone actually supportive of such nonsense?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Fuck, I guess Nestlé is not evil for the slave stuff because it's a faceless entity as well

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is bullshit and I'm tired of seeing people use this as some sort of out for these companies. Corporations have no legal obligation to do any such thing. I don't know why so many people keep pretending it's a factual statment.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's not an 'excuse' for any company, it's just realistic. To expect massive faceless companies to have the ethics/morals of an individual is beyond stupid. The only incentive for these companies to pay the correct amount of tax is good PR. Without government regulation, nothing will ever change. Yep, I've seen the libertarian bullshit about how "it's not a legal obligation to maximise profits for shareholders", but this is semantics, as there is a legal obligation to serve shareholders' best interests, which in practice amounts to the same thing. As I've already said, companies who receive bad PR for this behaviour can legally change their direction and pay tax, but they will not do this without media pressure, and while that pressure may work for some companies who provide consumer goods and services, less public facing organisations are rarely held to account in this way.

This is why we need tight government regulation. Fuck yo libertarianism and neoliberal bullshit. The market will never, ever regulate itself.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The defence force is amazing.

FFS there are plenty wealthy individuals who avoid paying tax via various financial instruments and clever accounting practices and would also argue they do not break tax law.

Is anyone actually supportive of such nonsense?

I dont see any defense force. Companies will never pay more than what they have to. Especially big ones with "clever" financial advisors and a team of lawyers. The market will never regulate itself and that's just that. Tax evasion is a huge issue not just with rockstar but basically most big corporations. The government needs to patch the loopholes and have tighter regulations. Because companies aren't just suddenly going to start paying taxes when they can avoid doing so. It is by all means unethical, but corporations are not ever known for being ethical.