• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
It's just the nature of the beast when making a game as vast and detailed aa rdr2.
They have also been busy making a current gen GTA5 and making content for gta online.

Yeah, not sure how you can look at GTA 3/VC/SA and GTA V and then essentially say "Why can't they make 3 GTA V's in one generation?"

The scale and detail required for the modern games is just so massive compared to the older ones.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is like saying "Valve doesn't make games" when they were constantly releasing new content for the games they were supporting.

GTA5 on next gen is a massive effort compared to even the PS360 version, and GTA5 still gets new weapons, vehicles, and modes. There's a content update dropping this week! It's not like they are just sitting back collecting checks, their business model changed.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why settle for that when you can get quality AND quantity? Just look at Insomniac, FromSoftware, or Capcom's output this gen

Because I can enjoy it all?

Setting aside the fact that RDR2 is my favorite game of this generation and one of my favorite games of all time, some directors make films every year and some take their sweet time and deliver the goods on a much longer and more protracted timeline.

I'm happy to have both.

You can look at RDR2 and see where the time and resources went. Sure, I'd love them to be more prolific too given they are effectively my favorite developer but it is what it is.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
The games they're interested in making now are taking longer and longer to produce. I suspect GTA6 will be Rockstar's only release next gen, too, unless they find a way to squeeze in RDR3 somewhere at the tail end of the generation.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The games they're interested in making now are taking longer and longer to produce. I suspect GTA6 will be Rockstar's only release next gen, too, unless they find a way to squeeze in RDR3 somewhere at the tail end of the generation.

I think they are in production of GTA6 now, RDR3 will skip next gen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERA: We need to do something about crounch!

Also ERA: Why can't R* produce more gaaaaaaaaaamez faster?
To be fair, releasing one new game over an entire console generation and banking on that game being one of the best games ever made and selling among the best selling games of all time probably isn't a very sustainable business model.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm sure R* could make a couple of uncharted 4 scale games if they wanted to, but instead they choose to progress the open world genre, which takes longer.

So nothing to see here.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't think Rockstar really cares if you think GTAV counts or not. To them, the PS4/X1 ports count just as much as a new release and have made them hundreds of millions of additional dollars.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
They also had the best-selling game of both this gen and last gen (and it was the same game both times) so they're obviously doing something right.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes,i am very well aware of that.But it's still disappointing.

I mean, Max Payne 3 - despite being one of the best TPS ever made - didn't do all that well at retail so they opted to consolidate projects.

The only other options were to lengthen the development time of RDR2 or scale back content.

I'd say they made the right decision.

I'd love to see more output too but there's not much they can do about it outside of hire another thousand staff.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They've been working on GTA V Online as a live service game since the generation started. RDR 2 was also a massive project that is far beyond most games, with an insane amount of content and polish. And it too, is a live service game that has been getting constant updates since it's release.

They simply got out of the packaged game business for the most part. 1 or 2 mega releases per generation + years of online updates has proven to be more profitable and more sustainable for them. I expect them to keep the same pattern next-gen as well, and will probably release ports of GTA V and RDR 2 while they work on GTA VI.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Graphic aside, RDR2 isn't it exactly the state of art of gameplay, especially after almost ten years of development. I mean, R today is not remotely comparable to R in the PS2 era in terms of quality eh.

Hm, I guess that depends on who you ask? But in terms of pure contens and quality of said contents they are far far above prev. R*.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hm, I guess that depends on who you ask? But in terms of pure contens and quality of said contents they are far far above prev. R*.
No need to ask to anyone. I have far more fan in the PS2 era with their multiple games than the single RDR2 experience in this generation. But I don't think it's even matter of subjectivity here. The "courage" and the provocation mixed to the gameplay mechanics, that made R unique, different and special compared to the others, in the PS2 generation. RDR2 is not even the shadow of what was the true spirit of R.
I play regularly RDRonline and that's sad to see where money land this company. Such frustrating.
RDR2 is not even comparable to the single GTA San Andreas in terms of quality.

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Wonder how much money they've made compared to other gens....GTAV selling like crazy all gen,RDR2 doing well too,plus all that mtx online money.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, releasing one new game over an entire console generation and banking on that game being one of the best games ever made and selling among the best selling games of all time probably isn't a very sustainable business model.
Definitely not for every studio or set of studios, but for Rockstar? There's absolutely no reason it can't continue to be.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Its a trend you can see across the entire industry. With exception to Ubisoft and the annual franchises, everyone's output has been diminished this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much money they've made compared to other gens....GTAV selling like crazy all gen,RDR2 doing well too,plus all that mtx online money.
we seem to being a sudden influx of threads that are just why can't company A. be more like company B and it almost every case the A company is far more profitable which I feel answers the question.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
GTAVI will be enough for me. WIth how good the next-gen consoles apparently will be I absolutely can't wait to play it on PC in 2030.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
They really don't need to. They can just keep updating the online shit for the couple of games that they do have indefinitely as long as they're making bank. The amount of shit they would probably want in a GTA6 over V would probably be better suited for new hardware anyway.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I don't count GTA 5 remaster for PS4/X1 because it was released and made for PS3/X360 in mind.

PS2/Xbox - Midnight Club, Oni, GTA 3,GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, Italian Job, Max Payne 2,Midnight Club 2,Manhunt, Midnight Club 3,Table Tennis,Bully,Manhunt 2

PS3/X360- GTA 4,GTA 4 The Lost and Damned/Chinatown Wars/Ballad of Tony Gay, Midnight Club: Los Angeles, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 5

PS4/X1 - Red dead redemption 2.

Im actually glad they won't release GTA 6(probably) on PS4/X1 because the game could be spectacular if it is made for next gen systems in mind which are turning out to be very powerful. I just hope for more masterpieces from Rockstar next gen, for example Bully 2.
Table tennis was released on 360, not xbox.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
They've focused their efforts on GTAO and the development of RDR2 which was a monumental task and to me it paid off in spades. Output doesn't bother me as long as the 1 or 2 games released are amazing. But to each his own.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why this is so important. They've been working on the online versions of GTA and RDR, and we know that game development for all devs is taking longer as the demands for higher aesthetics increases. None of the other devs listed have made any more than 3-4 games (not counting remasters). They are making huge open world games that take more time than any other type of game outside of MMOs maybe.
Not everyone wants to play MT driven MP games?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I mean, Max Payne 3 - despite being one of the best TPS ever made - didn't do all that well at retail so they opted to consolidate projects.

The only other options were to lengthen the development time of RDR2 or scale back content.

I'd say they made the right decision.

I'd love to see more output too but there's not much they can do about it outside of hire another thousand staff.
I agree and all this would be perfectly fine if R* is just 1 studio.But they have 8 studios world wide and that's why their output this gen is a bit disappointing to me, that's all.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm not a fan of GTA Online, but you can't just discount the work that they've done in adding content to support that over the past 6 years. It's nothing like what it was at launch on PS3/360. I wish they would focus more on singleplayer experiences, even if it was just DLC expansions for GTAV or RDR2, so I'm with you there, but let's not act like they've just been resting on their laurels. OK, maybe a little bit....