• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
The way I see it with all these launchers is that if Half Life 3 was never on the cards in Valve's mind, it certainly is now. All these separate launchers will get Valve off its arse and make it react.

100%

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time to get a 2nd PC! Only half-joking. Have one PC for non-gaming activities, get a 2nd one (regular one, not those "gaming" PCs) that will have all the launchers

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
We just discovered one particular bummer about the launcher: it's not optional, even if you already have certain Rockstar games installed on Steam.

Since this article has gone live, we've discovered another reason to install RGL, though it's arguably not a welcome one. Rockstar has now mandated the launcher's installation in order to boot certain games available on Steam. I uninstalled RGL from my testing rig, then attempted to boot my existing Steam installation of Grand Theft Auto V. At that time, Steam automatically loaded the RGL installation process. Thus, there is currently no way to play GTA V without having Rockstar's new launcher active.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
EGS threads thought me that everyone is fine with first party launcher exclusives.

Good ones yes. Like, I wouldn't spend a dime on Bethesda's launcher, but I'll but games on Uplay.

Edit: As has been pointed out already EGS is not a first party launcher, so you haven't learned anything.

Last edited:

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
The way I see it with all these launchers is that if Half Life 3 was never on the cards in Valve's mind, it certainly is now. All these separate launchers will get Valve off its arse and make it react.

100%

Of all the things that the launcher war might cause Valve to do, I seriously doubt that beginning work on a 3-5 year long game development project is one of them. Whatever it is that causes Valve not to release Half-Life 3 wont be budged by something like this.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is only for R* titles or the entire Take-Two/2K (back catalogue and upcoming) titles as well?
It'll probably be like Fortnite, or Blizzard games with Battle.net actually. Eventually once the launcher gets popular because of RDR2 and GT6 2K will just use it for their games. Get all of the cut from their games and share it with no one on PC. It makes business sense. If Microsoft and Sony could have their stores everywhere like walmart I doubt they would sell their products anywhere else. If they had the shipping distribution and online traffic of Amazon as well for their online stores.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
GTA V was a Social Club game. All physical copies and keys sold at key sellers were Social Club.

The only way to get a Steam copy was to buy off Steam.

Hopefully we at least have that option with RDR2.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
How EGS does in other countries rather than US? I think it will really affect a future exclusive release as if I'm correct, GTAV does very well in eastern-europe countries.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
We just discovered one particular bummer about the launcher: it's not optional, even if you already have certain Rockstar games installed on Steam.

Correct me if I´m wrong but some sort of rockstar club whatever-app always needed to be installed and running while playing their games on steam. So they just switched from their old app to this new launcher...right?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

100%
It didn't with the first 15, not sure why number 16 is going to do it

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'll never play this game again and yet I downloaded this damn launchers just because I like free shit.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
My taskbar is ready.

GZiMyWV.png
😂👌🏽

That is hilarious. Thx for the laughs.

Crussong

Sep 17, 2019
Holy Shit, this launcher is a complete mess..
They just smashed it in everyones face without warning. Way to go.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
PC gaming mirrors the video streaming market. Too many services to navigate for me. The simplicity is why I've gone from PC to console. I like competition, but when each service has exclusive content it becomes a hassel. Competing services without exclusive content would be great, but impossible.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Social Club was essentially Rockstar's launcher for years now so this won't change much - unless they'll decide to make their future PC releases exclusive to their own launcher.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now you need BOTH apps, the Social Club and the RGL. Remove either, and the game won't boot.
Ah, I was wondering why social club still appeared installed after I installed the launcher.

Well, fuck rockstar then. Here is hoping they get their head out of their ass and at least unify everything into a single app, if they insist on having it.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Another one for GoG to add to the pile. For some reason this one doesn't even annoy me much. Rockstar games sell like crazy on PC and it was inevitable that they didn't want to give a cut of the profit to another launcher.
I hope this launcher means that they stop releasing their PC versions 1,5 years after the console releases and instead do a simultaneous release.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I guess this isn't too surprising and I'll begrudgingly use it for something like RDR 2, but this trend of everyone having their own store / launcher is quickly becoming the worst part of PC gaming.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This just a launcher or is also a storefront? Lots of games actually already have "launchers" built in when you try and start them (kinda makes it annoying for controller only setups)