• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 announcement incoming...

100% profit vs 70%?

Probably. Gtav is huge on pc. Obviously this doesn't have the reach steam does, but if this is the only way to play Rdr2 on pc...

Rockstar is one of few devs who never relied on Steam. GTA IV was GFWL and all games since used Rockstar Games Launcher Social Club.
(Though they still sold their games on Steam)

In germany, when you want to buy a game thats for age 18 you need to show your ID... But that's needed when you buy a game in a shop... not on the internet..

You sure? Amazon Germany at least asks (even though I don't even live in germany). I believe exception is physical products that you pickup from post office. (Where you would then show ID).

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Free GTASA game? Sure, I'll take it, but it must be the PC version with latest update where most of the songs are removed and old mods that are not compatible, is it?
If so, I just stick with downgraded Steam version because I don't think I want to download it again.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
All you had to do was follow the damn launcher, CJ
Maybe they'll pull a ubi and sign a Steam-excluding deal with EGS for RDR2. That way they get free money from Epic, and everyone still buys it directly from them.
That's how I see it, all the cheap keys were social club anyways

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 announcement incoming...

Rockstar is one of few devs who never relied on Steam. GTA IV was GFWL and all games since used Rockstar Games Launcher Social Club.
(Though they still sold their games on Steam)

You sure? Amazon Germany at least asks (even though I don't even live in germany). I believe exception is physical products that you pickup from post office. (Where you would then show ID).

Yes, it's needed when you buy the physical version, but not for the digital one.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great.

Every pissing guy nowadays needs a laucnher just to have even more control over what people bought,
even tho it doesn't help preventing pirating.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I have no problem with this launcher...

Just means they have easier delivery method for the Single Player Red Dead 2 DLC. Right?! RIGHT!?

God I want it so bad :''(

Oct 28, 2017
This goes back to an era where every game had its own executable and shortcuts on the start menu/desktop to play them.

The upgrade now is that the game executables/shortcuts are now grouped together with different clients, each requiring a username, password and sometimes a two step verification.

Pretty soon we shall have a search bar for game clients, like how we have a search bar for games on Steam library.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Go a step further. Make a separate launcher for GTA and RDR. It's the only logical path forward.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well i havnt bought a rockstar game since GTA4. This just cements it that I will continue that trend.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
they release a game like every 4 years and it's always way earlier on console

yeah, I don't think I need a Rockstar launcher

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Its not ideal but I am okay with companies selling their own games on their own launchers. Didnt work well for Bethesda but I think RDR2 or GTA6 are big enough to succeed.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Consoles starting to look more interesting as pc grows into a launcher hellscape.

Oct 25, 2017
Another launcher does not bother me even slightly. I have some singular games that have or have had launchers (paladins before steam launch, for example). That is a total non-issue for me. This is not even new. World of Warcraft used to have a launcher solely for WOW. Saying consoles are more appealing now is just the icing of the silly cake.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Which version of GTA San Andreas?

Free GTASA game? Sure, I'll take it, but it must be the PC version with latest update where most of the songs are removed and old mods that are not compatible, is it?
If so, I just stick with downgraded Steam version because I don't think I want to download it again.

My hunch is that it's the PC version with the licenses removed and old mod incompatibility ...

Or...

That it's a port of the Android / iOS releases. When they re-released GTA:SA on Xbox One and PS4 recently (or maybe it was 360/PS3 with backwards compatibility or whatever), they were ports of the Android / iOS port.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an update for GTA V on Steam that installs the new launcher. It looks like it works in a similar way to how Ubisoft's games integrate with Steam?

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wish you could just link your steam account like you can your xbox or playstation account and add the games to your rockstar account.
scanning for games doesnt actually add them to your rockstar account, it just adds a button that says play it on steam. gee thanks

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Best news of the day. Can't wait for more launchers. This is exactly what PC gaming needs.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
That's 8 launchers I have installed on PC now

If RDR2 is exclusive this launcher will make my 8th as well. When people ask "it's just a click" I wonder if they really tried it or if their gaming habits are different where they just play 1-2 games at a time. I'm currently hopping between Control, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, BFV, and Gears 5. That's four launchers I have to open in the background. If I didn't cancel World of Warcraft that would make it five.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody should be surprised like this, that 30% just starts really adding up to extreme heights for big publishers. It's just a matter of time before every publisher who can afford to do so has their own store.

Agreed with this. Valve was able to capitalize on a relatively weak PC market and publishers afraid of piracy at the time and lead consumers to buying games conveniently. The cut didn't bother them much because they were coming from boxed retail with a similar cut. Now that almost all games require some online component, publishers feel they can just take these games back and get all the profits.

It's not ideal and I'm not stoked about it but it was absolutely inevitable.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
wait is it confirmed RDR 2 on PC

Arthur will be on PC?

tumblr_phqyshpHKu1u0r4z4o1_500.gif