• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose when you imagine the amount of money Steam would take from their 30% cut if Rockstar were to put RDR2 and the inevitable GTA6 onto it, making their own launcher would definitely be the most economically sensible thing for them to do.

Not that it isn't annoying. Having so many different launchers is a bit of a negative to PC gaming for me personally.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Update:

aFjKbXi.png
Discord and Spotify are not game launchers. You still have two slots!!

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Well, that's a really good move for them. Why get ~75% of every copy sold on PC when you can get 100%? From a business pov, well done! From a consumer pov... i dont play on PC so it doesn't really affect me.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Just downloaded it and it detected that I already owned MP3. it didn't with GTA5 but I think It¡s becuase i never played it. Regarding the free San Andreas it's still the same poor port avaliable from before with framerate bugs and all. Really hate that they had not taken some time to release improved versions. Guess that goes to my wish for having updated Max Payne. :/

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Hate to say it, but with games as big as GTA5, that 30% really starts to bite I'd imagine.

So I understand this.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I was willing to tolerate Epic and all but these launchers are getting comical at this point. It's really making PC Gaming unappealing to me. Really considering going consoles only for next gen.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Meh, I don't feel like downloading a launcher for just a free game.

Besides, today I was gonna buy the trilogy on ps3 with GTA3, Vice CIty and this game, so...

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited for the prospect of RDR2 on PC... just not like this. Fingers crossed for a concurrent Steam release.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to meltdown for having fragmentation and choices.

Rockstar is probably done sharing money with Steam/etc.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
They have to offer something more recent to get me to download a new launcher. I don't really mind having to use another one, but I at least need to interested in the game.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
the thing about the open PC platform is that someone will solve this problem, specifically GOG Galaxy 2.0, and if they don't for whatever reason, someone else will. This is the point of the open platform.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Nobody should be surprised like this, that 30% just starts really adding up to extreme heights for big publishers. It's just a matter of time before every publisher who can afford to do so has their own store.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
PwLCrOn.png

They are kidding, right?

Explanation: They asking for my ID to verify that I'm over 18. I've never seen something like that. There is no law in Germany for digital goods for that, only when you buy a game in a shop or the physical version through amazon etc.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Nobody should be surprised like this, that 30% just starts really adding up to extreme heights for big publishers. It's just a matter of time before every publisher who can afford to do so has their own store.
Two points:
-It's not 30% for big publishers
-They can only get away with it if the game is big enough for people to buy into the new ecosystem. RDR2 definitely is, but Bethesda tried to go solo and failed

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
PC gaming is slowly reverting back to the early 2000s, except every game now has always online DRM.

Oct 26, 2017
Which Rocktar does, which Ubisoft does, which SquareEnix does, which Capcom does. In fact Square has already discussed this. How are people so in denial about this future? It isn't like Rockstar is the first company to do this. Guess what, they won't be the last. Many developers will continue to support third party storefronts, but major developers simply don't have to give up 30 percent to a third party digital store when they can create their own.
You forgot EA

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Rockstar is pretty much its own company. Take Two lets the Housers have a lot of autonomy so its not surprising that they have their own launcher and not a "take two one"

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll pull a ubi and sign a Steam-excluding deal with EGS for RDR2. That way they get free money from Epic, and everyone still buys it directly from them.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I thought this already existed?

Must have just been all the social club nonsense.

I also thought they already had a launcher. I know my GTAV had it's own desktop icon and needed me to sign into a rockstar account.

Are they having two launchers now?

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Installed it and it linked all my steam R* games, so I'm full up. Surprised GTA4 isn't on here.

edit: Games are: GTA3, GTAVC, GTASA, GTAV, Max Payne 3, LA Noire & Bully