• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Nothing that poster said contradicts with what you are saying.
"Historically been a colony separate from China" strongly implies that it's been a colony for most of its history. "Historically" is taken as the default, typical state.
That's like saying "Native Americans have historically lived on reservations". It conveniently ignores the brutal history of why they're on reservations in the first place.

You don't have to be white to whitewash.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to be white to whitewash.

Ah, the delicious hypocrisy of someone coming in to chide someone else for not being specific enough in their 1 paragraph summation of the political situation surrounding this while simultaneously calling a western vantagepoint, "white washing" to an explicitly not white person. Dunno why I even replied.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised the NBA isn't completely throwing Morey under the bus

Because at the end of the day it ultimately only targets one team and not the whole league. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the league has sent out word to other teams and players to keep their mouths shut about this issue.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
nor does it have anything to do with this topic

Keep on missing that point, though. Or not, because nobody is impressed.
Nothing to do with the topic?
I called you out not because you weren't "specific enough", but because you're wrong. But yeah, you shouldn't have replied.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Because at the end of the day it ultimately only targets one team and not the whole league. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the league has sent out word to other teams and players to keep their mouths shut about this issue.
Unfortunately you're probably right. Sucks that a multi billion dollar organization is kowtowing to government with so many human rights atrocities just for a bit more money.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing to do with the topic?
I called you out not because you weren't "specific enough", but because you're wrong. But yeah, you shouldn't have replied.

"Somebody explain the situation in china to me"
"Ok, here's the history going back to before the formation of the current government"
"OMG BUT WHAT ABOUT 200+ YEARS AGO?!!!"

You're not contributing anything to this topic other than pedantry.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately you're probably right. Sucks that a multi billion dollar organization is kowtowing to government with so many human rights atrocities just for a bit more money.

It just shows how bad things are in China. The response to the NFL kneeling situation was fucked up in the US, but you didn't have NBC, CBS, Fox etc. coming out and saying that they're going to pull all NFL programming for teams that had players kneeling until they get the response the want.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
"Somebody explain the situation in china to me"
"Ok, here's the history going back to before the formation of the current government"
"OMG BUT WHAT ABOUT 200+ YEARS AGO?!!!"

You're not contributing anything to this topic other than pedantry.
And amazing how you not being white is supposed to absolve you of criticism.

It's not pedantic to give someone the proper historical context for why China is doing what they're doing.
The party is specifically taking this very seriously because of the colonialist history behind Hong Kong, leading to their irrational fears about foreign intervention. It's why they're deadset on quelling these protests--because they fundamentally equate democracy to foreign interests. China as a nation is entirely rooted in their millenniums of history, and conveniently only focusing on the period that started with British rule is absolutely whitewashing the history of Hong Kong.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
whelp NBA is fake woke confirmed. Disgusting that standing for freedom and democracy is something the NBA considers "deeply offensive".

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
I hope Morey gets fired. Not because I think he's wrong, but because it will bring more publicity to the shitty strong-arm tactics that China uses. It's not just the Rockets, plenty of companies have had to kowtow to China because of really petty shit.
Grow a pair, let China try to ban or boycott your products. You'll survive, and you'll get to feel good about yourself knowing you did the right thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They want the China money, but they also don't want to lose the hometown money

Fun fact: The Rockets have the lowest home town viewership of any NBA team. This is because, astonishingly, they signed with a small outlet for exclusive access in the Houston market called Root Sports. Only Dish, the least popular provider in the area, gets root sports. The vast, vast majority of Houston can't see the Rockets or Astros, for the past 5 years both teams have had among the lowest hometown viewership percentages than the rest of the league.

Where I live in Houston, I'm in a weird deadzone where I cannot get the rockets at all. I'm in a weird area of Houston dish won't service for some reason. I actually think they finally, like this year, started offering Root Sports as a stand alone streaming channel, but it's like $150 a year for it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Morey gets fired. Not because I think he's wrong, but because it will bring more publicity to the shitty strong-arm tactics that China uses. It's not just the Rockets, plenty of companies have had to kowtow to China because of really petty shit.
Grow a pair, let China try to ban or boycott your products. You'll survive, and you'll get to feel good about yourself knowing you did the right thing.
Wouldn't it be better for the rockets to stand up to China's bullying and not fire him?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
What a garbage response by the NBA, which compared to the NFL is relatively "with it" all things considered...

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how Adam Silver is going to get out of this unscathed. This is crazy because every major sports league in the US has been pushing to expand globally and would want a piece of China. The NBA lucked out and managed to get there first and have a significant impact. The catch is in order to do business, China wants you to kiss the ring like they make all their citizens do. Now after this Morey tweet, China is demanding the NBA and Rockets to publicly kiss the ring in front of the world. It would be a disastrous look for a US company to do so, but if the NBA doesn't it would massively hurt to lose a market they spent so long building up.

Oct 25, 2017
Western world did this to themselves by turning China in a global economic power by exploiting cheap labor. Now they have their hands in everything.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh as an NBA fan, its tough to watch such an spineless league that always self proclaims to be the most progressive around. Now that its morality vs. china money, this issue has been awfully quiet among all the staffs and stars, I guess we now have seen this league's true color.

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
I'm not sure they would be able to do that because it would majorly screw over the team and piss off others involved with the NBA.

Exactly.

I just wish all businesses would stand up together against China's practices. Stop allowing your business practices to be dictated by a foreign economic power. This precedence should have been set right from the start. Now the Chinese consumer and government think (know) they have more power.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
If this blows up in the relationship between the NBA and China, I could see Morey being blackballed by NBA owners

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this blows up in the relationship between the NBA and China, I could see Morey being blackballed by NBA owners

Even if this happens, Basketball is a global sport. PJ Tucker spent like 8 years playing in Euro Leagues. daryl morey isn't going to have trouble finding work.

I can say this: not a damn person in Houston (you know, the home of the team) would support the firing of Morey. He's legitimately one of the city's sports stars. The city loves Dork Elvis.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Even if this happens, Basketball is a global sport. PJ Tucker spent like 8 years playing in Euro Leagues. daryl morey isn't going to have trouble finding work.

I can say this: not a damn person in Houston (you know, the home of the team) would support the firing of Morey. He's legitimately one of the city's sports stars. The city loves Dork Elvis.
I'm less thinking about Morey and more seeing a potential Kaepernick situation. Because what Morey did, wasn't the slightest bit controversial.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Honestly I can't help but feel like even under the best case scenario, Morey is just kept around til seasons end and then gets sacked. Since that would be the time D'antoni's contract also expires, it'd be under the lens of "cleaning house."

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Morey is right, but for those speaking his GM skills, he hasn't won a damn thing other than a lot of regular season games because his fetish for analytics has fielded a basketball team based on rewarding the most selfish playstyle known to man. It's just like the A's (who are my team BTW) with Billy Beane capable of working straight up magic over the course of a season but when it comes down to crunch time, analytics mean nothing for one game.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Morey is right, but for those speaking his GM skills, he hasn't won a damn thing other than a lot of regular season games because his fetish for analytics has fielded a basketball team based on rewarding the most selfish playstyle known to man. It's just like the A's (who are my team BTW) with Billy Beane capable of working straight up magic over the course of a season but when it comes down to crunch time, analytics mean nothing for one game.

They were 1 CP3 injury away from beating the Warriors. I think a lot of teams in the league would take that any year.

LMAO, its seems NBA has bent over, releasing a statement on weibo saying that NBA is extremely disappointed in Morey and sorry that he has offended a lot of Chinese fans. Fake woke.

Last edited:

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
They were 1 CP3 injury away from beating the Warriors. I think a lot of teams in the league would take that any year.
Yes, but those teams are not the Rockets whose sole goal in life for at least 5 years now has been to beat the Warriors. I say this as an avowed Warriors hater.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can't help but feel like even under the best case scenario, Morey is just kept around til seasons end and then gets sacked. Since that would be the time D'antoni's contract also expires, it'd be under the lens of "cleaning house."
I think he wants to be fired. He'll definitely get hired by another team. Rockets have already hit their ceiling and blew it. He may already be in contact with another team that has a wink-wink agreement to hire him. If he leaves on his own, he looks bad because he's cutting bait. If he gets fired for this, he's a hero.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Morey and his analytics push were what drew me to the team--aside from living in Houston--so it would be a huge shame and colossal waste of talent to push him out over a tweet, but I'd also understand why the NBA and Fertitta would do it. It's just stupendously dumb that it even rose to this point because of the outsize reaction of the Chinese Basketball Association and their corporate partners. The NBA's obviously also not going to be too supportive of Morey given the value of the Chinese market, especially with the kind of business shoe companies do there also pressuring the league to fix this shit.

Maybe we can bring Hinkie back.