• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Fertitta can like comments and tweets all he wants. There would be an unprecedented shitstorm if they fired Morey.
Fertitta is a known miser and Morey just cost him a lot of money.
He probably can't fire him right now because of the optics but I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season as Rockets GM.
Easier to wait for this thing to blow over and then fire him for "basketball reasons".

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Huge Rockets fan and Tilman is a cheapskate loudmouth who has been Dolan level since he came into ownership. Morey is one of the best GMs in the league and they'd be stupid to lose years of playoff revenue over this. Tilman being the penny pincher he is would hire some C grade GM and the Rockets would be bad for a long time. Devaluing the organization as a whole. The only thing that gives me hope is Tilman is sooo cheap he'll likely not be able to eat the guarantees on Moreys current contract.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I would be incredibly disappointed as a Rockets fan if they fire Morey because of supporting a just cause. I bet the NBA is freaking out over this.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

China's official basketball association says it will suspend cooperation with the Houston Rockets following a tweet by Darryl Morey in support of pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which team will make a play for Morey if he gets canned. The Wizards would've been the favorite, but they just made a hire and the Suns are the Suns, so they wouldn't do it.

I hope Silver/Pop/Kerr and other GM's and coaches come out in support of Morey.
That probably wouldn't help because Morey is losing the team money and Chinese support, which is big for this specific team.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I guess we're about to find out if NBA players are just "fake woke". If Morey gets fired and no player/exec speaks out then you know that they don't care and only use social justice as PR.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What's the NBA's position here?
The league has yet to release an official statement, but a spokesperson indicated one would be issued in short order. In the interim, it's safe to assume the league is not pleased that one of its most popular franchises in China has gotten into a messy public dispute with one of its biggest business partners. The potential political and financial fallout here is massive. One league source called it "not a small thing" while another declared it "an epic screwup."

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended with Morey being canned and Fertitta being forced to sell the team. They're affecting with the money of many people running billion dollar organizations and those people don't play.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
If rockets fire Morey I'm done being a fan until that cheapass Fertitta gets the hell out. We went from having one of the best to one of the worst owners in the league.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been proven time and again that these rich fucks care more about money than democracy. It's why the U.S. has become such a shithole and why it will only continue to get worse.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Morey isn't dumb if he wants out of the Rockets situation without losing face this is a great way to do it. Their window is shut.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Man, I really hope Silver surprises us and comes out on the right side of this thing... but that's just so unlikely. I mean, they probably have a 10-15 year plan that is largely dependent on the Chinese market, and to have to change that in a matter of days is just not what a big business is going to choose to do.

But here is naive hoping.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he is trying to save his job.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really hope Silver surprises us and comes out on the right side of this thing... but that's just so unlikely. I mean, they probably have a 10-15 year plan that is largely dependent on the Chinese market, and to have to change that in a matter of days is just not what a big business is going to choose to do.

So much money on the table.. and part of why NBA can stand so stall despite not a juggernaut in US in comparison to NFL is that chinese money :(

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Silver woulds probably get fired if he did that.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hong Kong has historically been a colony separate from China. Most recently, it was part of the British Empire, and is historically known as a sphere of influence. As such, it operated under a different set of rules from mainland china, essentially being a different country within china. The official name for this unique political arrangement is "One country, two systems."

Hong Kong is going through a transition period where it is returning to control of China. Officially, china holds sovereignty over Hong Kong already, but has pledged to a transitional period where they are still granted a degree of autonomy, especially regarding jurisdiction. Recently, China's government has begun making moves towards stripping hong kong of autonomy, the most publicized example being an extradition bill where people can be forced to stand trial in mainland china instead of hong kong. But there are generally 10 demands that protestors have.
Jesus Christ, talk about whitewashing colonialism.
Historically, Hong Kong has been a part of China. In the late 1800's, China banned opium, which made Great Britain big mad because they wanted to sell opium to the Chinese. They fought a war over it, China lost, and were forced to cede Hong Kong to Great Britain temporarily.

May 9, 2018
*ratio intensifies*

NBA is walking a very fine line here. Recognizing how offensive Morey's tweet was, while supporting league values on creating open political dialogue (and therefore Morey).

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
*ratio intensifies*

NBA is walking a very fine line here. Recognizing how offensive Morey's tweet was, while supporting league values on creating open political dialogue (and therefore Morey).

I might be misreading it, but I don't think she's calling the tweet offensive so much as she's just condensing what the league said (they did say that it "deeply offended" people).

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, talk about whitewashing colonialism.
Historically, Hong Kong has been a part of China. In the late 1800's, China banned opium, which made Great Britain big mad because they wanted to sell opium to the Chinese. They fought a war over it, China lost, and were forced to cede Hong Kong to Great Britain temporarily.

Nothing that poster said contradicts with what you are saying.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People can criticize trump all they want because trump doesnt have the power to cut off money to the league. It's the same reason NFL owners are shit because their base is trumpers