• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just chiming in to say fuck Stephen A Smith. Coward.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Morey's tweet was not controversial in any free society.

Adam Silver's statement is technically right, but ethically wrong. When you give room for false equivalencies, e.g., "We don't take a political stance," when Morey is saying something reasonable while others are making ridiculous false equivalencies (e.g., "Hong Kong Protests are like Pearl Habor, 9/11, and the holocaust,") then you're being ambivalent to a fault, you're lending credence to things that are patently untrue.

I get it, there are business consequences when living in a free society, but the NBA has become popular again because they've generally done the right thing in the last ~5 years. Being ambivalent isn't why they've become a popular league again.

Kudos to Morey for tweeting something that is right. Too bad that he got so much pressure to immediately delete it. He's in a position to influence change with there being so many Rocket's fans in China. It's a shame that others in the league are so spineless.

Hpper

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao Morey singlehandedly destroyed the NBA in China.

wonder if/how this effects the guys who had Chinese shoe deals?
This was always going to happen eventually. Someone would've commented on something involving China.

There's a reason this ballooned so quickly from just being a Rockets issue to an NBA issue.

Still, am happy my mf'ing GM did it. And am beyond done with Fertitta.

Morey's tweet was not controversial in any free society.

Adam Silver's statement is technically right, but ethically wrong. When you give room for false equivalencies, e.g., "We don't take a political stance," when Morey is saying something reasonable while others are making ridiculous false equivalencies (e.g., "Hong Kong Protests are like Pearl Habor, 9/11, and the holocaust,") then you're being ambivalent to a fault.

Agreed, but he still likely just said no to billions and refused to drop that stance.

(Unless maybe billionaire owner egos behind the scenes most weren't willing to do a 2nd round of kow-towing)

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
I don't think it's fair to say I missed the point. We seem to have different views of the situation. You would prefer an ideal alternative that will never exist, I would prefer the lesser of two evils. You want to live in a fairy tail where a perfect large state exists that does no wrong, I wish you luck.

So you are fine with others suffering cause they suffer just a little bit less as long as you can do business or get your stuff cheaply.

Your reasoning is one of the reasons that China is the way it is today. The west naively assumed that China would become democratic and respect human rights once the became richer and the middle class was lifted out of poverty. The exact opposite has happened.

Thinking that India or any other country would change just because you do business with them, that's a fairy tail.
There are other ways then turning to the next big country to business with to cope with china. But that's a whole different discussion and I don't want to derail the thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China's opened a can of worms lol. Pic courtesy of HK Reddit

szfelfx6ear31.png
im in there

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
So you are fine with others suffering cause they suffer just a little bit less as long as you can do business or get your stuff cheaply.

Your reasoning is one of the reasons that China is the way it is today. The west naively assumed that China would become democratic and respect human rights once the became richer and the middle class was lifted out of poverty. The exact opposite has happened.

Thinking that India or any other country would change just because you do business with them that's a fairy tail.
There are other ways then turning to the next big country to business with to cope with china. But that's a whole different discussion and I don't want to derail the thread.

I'm not fine with anyone or anything suffering, if I could snap my fingers and make all suffering go away I'd do it right away. That's not an option unfortunately. If I was a billionaire or some sort of global magnate and had a choice to do business with either country India or China, I can tell you I'd choose India.

We would love to hear your other ways though, I don't think anyone is trying to be a dick to each other so if you have options everyone else is overlooking then why not share.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Can we ban majority Chinese owned companies from operating in the West while we're at it

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The NBA and China are both trash. NBA lacks a spine and still loses business. China wants to impose it's will, but can't tolerate any justified criticism.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
But then you are fine with suffering cause act like it's a zerosum situation. You could also choose not be greedy and business with other countries and make less profit.

I'm not fine with anyone or anything suffering, if I could snap my fingers and make all suffering go away I'd do it right away. That's not an option unfortunately. If I was a billionaire or some sort of global magnate and had a choice to do business with either country India or China, I can tell you I'd choose India.

We would love to hear your other ways though, I don't think anyone is trying to be a dick to each other so if you have options everyone else is overlooking then why not share.

If you want to take away China's power you have to take away their economic power but west and the big corporations aren't willing to do that cause it will hurt them and the world economy. Sacrifices will need to be made. The only ones really benefiting from the current situation are the rich, the corporations and the Chinese government.

Corporations want to have cheap products so they can maximize their profits and so they can keep wages low in developed countries cause if people can afford the products they want there is less chance of people wanting to change society.

I'm not saying I have the answer but you can start by investing in automation and AI. Move production away from China by having automated factories in western countries and countries that respect human rights or are willing to do so.

Once China loses it's position as "factory of the world" it doesn't have much to offer other then being a huge market.

Once the chinese economy collapses there might be an uprising.
Or China will focus on themselves as a markt and become more isolated.

This would of course require corporations to put morals before money and history has shown this is very unlikely.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I need to buy more NBA tickets. F*** the Chinese government.

I mean, it's nice that Silver released that statement but it came a day or two late in my opinion. All day Monday the NBA was getting torn to shreds by the media and people/politicians on all sides of the political spectrum. They make a ton of money in the United States obviously and were in danger of this costing them a bunch at home. They had to do a 180 really.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I always saw him as a clown, but he took it to a different level.
I always figured it was a schtick he created, but watching him try to put his thoughts together in that vid was pretty cringeworthy. Like Trump-level bumbling and nonsense when it comes to trying to make a point. I guess he really is just an idiot and not a pretend one.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Just chiming in to say fuck Stephen A Smith. Coward.
Remember, this is the guys that said "well maybe black people should just vote for the next Republican nominee to give the Dems competition and force them to be better"

That Republican ended up being...Donald Trump.

Because just giving away your vote as the way to ignite change.

Oct 26, 2017
No I'm not. I'm just talking about a small subset of their operation. Russia don't have the resources that China do but they have decades more experience courtesy of the cold war. Comparatively China seem to blunder their way through social media campaigns.

I suppose it is less important to them given that they believe the almighty dollar is enough of a carrot to dangle in front of Western corporations.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
If the price to do business with China is to basically BECOME China, then the west needs to stop doing business there.

NBA China was valued at 4.5bn USD a year ago before they signed that massive Tencent streaming deal. NBA giving up on China will cost its owners a shit ton of money, hence why Silver is tiptoeing.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NBA has mostly IMO handled this well. Any other big corporation like Disney would've fired the person already.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, fuck stephen A smith. I know he is just a useful idiot to ESPN, but he manages to sink to new depths I didn't even think were possible

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always figured it was a schtick he created, but watching him try to put his thoughts together in that vid was pretty cringeworthy. Like Trump-level bumbling and nonsense when it comes to trying to make a point. I guess he really is just an idiot and not a pretend one.

sad part is i can't even tell how much of it is just sensationalism for ratings or how much is his actual views.

Nov 2, 2017
NBA has mostly IMO handled this well. Any other big corporation like Disney would've fired the person already.

Nah. They're on eggshells because they can't do that. This has gotten enough media recollection that they'd tank their US fanbase by doing that, so they're desperately seeking some middle ground that keeps China in play while not killing them dead in the US, since the US is their primary revenue source.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The owner could still fire him, though the optics would be bad.

Nah. They're on eggshells because they can't do that. This has gotten enough media recollection that they'd tank their US fanbase by doing that, so they're desperately seeking some middle ground that keeps China in play while not killing them dead in the US, since the US is their primary revenue source.
In all honesty if they made the play to appease China in hopes that it would blow over for the most part with fans in the west they probably would've been right. Too many people either wouldn't have cared because it's a foreign issue or are hooked on basketball.

Oct 26, 2017
Remember, this is the guys that said "well maybe black people should just vote for the next Republican nominee to give the Dems competition and force them to be better"

That Republican ended up being...Donald Trump.

Because just giving away your vote as the way to ignite change.

The problem is SAS thinks the world operates entirely under capitalist logic. So he thinks that people get elected because it means they were de facto better, when it's not necessarily the case.

Oct 28, 2017
I bet if the Rockets don't win a championship, they'll fire him and use that as an excuse along with other years of performance by the team.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Under what pretense? We don't like their politics? As good a reason as any, sure, but plenty of products - mainly electronics - would dramatically rise in price.

I mean unless the company has been under a rock they should have moved already. Apple, Google, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have already started to do so.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch the press conference, but I thought Silver's statement was pretty good. Assertive and gave cover to the players and Morey.

Obviously there is more to unfold here, but I'm really curious what the NBAPA's (and the individual players) reaction to this will be. They have a lot on the line here, too. Best I know, international revenue is factored into 'Basketball-Related Revenue', which determines the salary cap (and floor) and also the value of max contracts. That doesn't factor in individual endorsements and the availability of the Chinese league (where several players have made good money extending, or even starting, careers).

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Steven A Smith is such a confident sellout.

I was talking to some folks who believe that SAS is upset because he has a pay raise coming up. And they believe he's upset/mad at Morey because China is a big market for the to the growth of the NBA, and ultimately the growth of ESPN. And if ESPN/NBA loses the China audience, that will harm the growth/projected growth of the overall industry, harming his pay check.

So yea, I agree (especially if the above is true). Dude is a fucking sell out.

Last edited:

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking to some folks who believe that SAS is upset because he has a pay raise coming up. And they believe he's upset/mad at Morey because China is a big/important to the growth of the NBA, and ultimately the growth of ESPN. And if ESPN/NBA loses the China audience, that will harm the growth/projected growth of the overall industry, harming his pay check.

So yea, I agree (especially if the above is true). Dude is a fucking sell out.

Everything you said is true.

I also suspect that's not an uncommon sentiment in the NBA right now and that this can be perceived (wrongly) as unnecessarily disrupting the gravy train that many in the NBA circle are enjoying right now.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the SAS clip....dude can go fuck himself. The worst pundit, insider, or whatever the fuck he does on TV.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
This "notice" was posted at the entrance of Barclays Center:

2lfe79xfncr31.jpg

satire, obviously

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Everything you said is true.

I also suspect that's not an uncommon sentiment in the NBA right now and that this can be perceived (wrongly) as unnecessarily disrupting the gravy train that many in the NBA circle are enjoying right now.
Yeah, Harden was doing his best to protect his business prospects in China by immediately throwing his own GM under the bus. That must be an awkward situation in Houston.