• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
People need to make their minds off.

Doom - amazing graphics. Oh crap 30fps no buy

Rocket League - nice 60fps just like other versions, yuck the graphics no buy

People need to accept Switch is a generation behind base PS4 and Xbox One. And all multiplatform games that are not indie will be compromised.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty happy with this port despite playing the PS4 version a ton. Sure, the graphic downgrades are noticeable (Wasteland is the worst one I've seen so far), but it runs well and looks good enough to not be an eyesore. Oh, and there's Samus' Gunship.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it because i love the game, i just hope there will be some patch to improve the technical departement a bit (if possible).

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As one of the devs mentioned earlier in the thread, they kinda knew it wasn't ever going to be the most graphically demanding game, so they put in all these smoke, fire, and explosion transparent effects which absolutely destroy the performance because they could on the PS4 and PC (which it was initially made for). Look at any Nintendo game and you'll see an almost complete lack of transparent (or alpha) effects which helps performance greatly. It would be great to simply turn off these effects, but they're kinda a big part of the unlockables/loot system of the game (you can get different explosions and such) so removing them would ruin feature parity between the platforms, which is a big issue when you're doing crossplay.

Thanks for the explanation. Alpha effects are demanding when used exaggerated (even so I see not much of them in the videos of the Switch version), eventually an explanation why this game is so very low-res, because the other components (physics, models, etc.) seems very undemanding. Hopefully the devs can optimize this version, a lot.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Another thing worth bearing in mind is how crazy fast this port was turned around. At launch Psyonix were in evaluation mode. I'd love to know how many months it was actually in development.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017

People need to accept Switch is a generation behind base PS4 and Xbox One. And all multiplatform games that are not indie will be compromised.

I think most of the complaints are about the undocked resolution. Personally, i would take a even "uglier" game if they could sustain a constant 720p resolution undocked. If you turn "high quality shaders" off on the PC version, it renders a simpler grass than the one present in the Switch version.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doom is obviously a very demanding game.

Rocket League is obviously not. The core game should be even runnable on the Wii (similar games had been made 10 years ago). Demanding in Rocket League are only some graphical effects, even so they look simple. I think there is much room for improvement (not to mention the fact that the development time for the port seems very short).

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017

Rocket League is obviously not. The core game should be even runnable on the Wii (similar games had been made 10 years ago). Demanding in Rocket League are only some graphical effects, even so they look simple. I think there is much room for improvement (not to mention the fact that the development time for the port seems very short).

To be fair, wasn't DOOM ported with the help of another studio to get it to run on the switch? Psyonix didn't have such help. Still I hope it is worked on to get that resolution better.

CoolS

Oct 28, 2017

No, just no.

To be fair, wasn't DOOM ported with the help of another studio to get it to run on the switch? Psyonix didn't have such help. Still I hope it is worked on to get that resolution better.

Panic Button, who did the Doom port, also did the Rocket League port afaik.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
Just played a few online matches. My team got our asses handed to us on the first match, but then I got put with another team and won the next two games. I scored about six goals between the last two games. I also have it on pc but this version looks and plays fine to me. I just miss having Purple Tentacle on my car. I'm perfectly happy with the port and any improvements are just icing on the cake.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is a shitload of physics calculating on. Plus transprent walls and particles stuff. see:

Stop this. There isn't anything special going on at all in the physics of Rocket League. It's not nearly "a shitload" of calculations going on. Transparency and particles are wholly unimpressive too.

There is no reason this shouldn't look and run much, much better on Switch - other than the devs not having optimized the engine well enough.

Look at Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle-Cars for PS3 - the game Psyonix made before Rocket League. It looks much better than RL on Switch, and it does it on weaker hardware.

Dagobert Duck

Oct 28, 2017

I dont think such a game would be possible on the Wii...I mean the physics alone are something else...Wii couldnt handle that...Wii U maybe, but that port would be...well...shitty

CoolS

Oct 28, 2017
Stop this. There isn't anything special going on at all in the physics of Rocket League. It's not nearly "a shitload" of calculations going on. Transparency and particles are wholly unimpressive too.

There is no reason this shouldn't look and run much, much better on Switch - other than the devs not having optimized the engine well enough.

Look at Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle-Cars for PS3 - the game Psyonix made before Rocket League. It looks much better than RL on Switch, and it does it on weaker hardware.
I choose to believe the developers when they say there is a lot of physics calculation going on.

And I think Rocket League looks a lot better than SARPBC, but maybe that's just me.

Oct 25, 2017
Messing with the settings helped a lot. I still suck, but it's better. Mapping R to boost and powerslide/air roll to L is a little more suited for me, as well as some changes to sensitivity.

Maybe I'm just used to the N3DS XL screen, but the resolution hasn't hindered my enjoyment one bit. Prioritizing frame-rate is the only right choice for a game like this where responsiveness is key. I'm really impressed, I've owned the Switch since it came out and this is some of the most fun I've had with it.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017

The game was not created with the Switch in mind, it was made using the PS4 and PC as a baseline. Which means it is using effects and other things that they might not have used if Switch was in the equation originally, but since they can't just get rid of them, there have to be some obvious sacrifices to the Switch version in order to make it work. You have no idea what's going on under the hood of the game to make the claim that there "isn't anything special going on at all with the physics."

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I played 4 matches and am very happy with the game. Plays exactly how I remember (from the PS4 version which I haven't played in quite a while) and on the TV the downgrade (whilst not huge) is all too noticeable which is disappointing but I'm more than able to take the port for what it is- a downgraded version of Rocket League that I can take anywhere that still plays great. I also own the game now and that PS+ rental version loses even more value I guess lol. Not played on the tablet yet but I'm happy with the docked version nevertheless.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played a quick 3v3 online match during lunch break, I wasn't very concentrated on playing sice I was talking with coworkers, but it's very playable IMO. Sure it's not as great as on PC or PS4, but playable nonetheless. Noticed some FPS drops though, but nothing very concerning imo.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is this a joke post???? Looks like you don't have any knowledge about game development... Just throwing fact pulled from your a***. Go away with that s...

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I dont think such a game would be possible on the Wii...I mean the physics alone are something else...Wii couldnt handle that...Wii U maybe, but that port would be...well...shitty

Rocket League uses Bullet Physics. Which is an open source physics engine that indeed did run on Wii - for example in the game Cocoto Surprise. The core game would probably run on Wii in some fashion. No way in hell it would run with the effects of RL though.

I choose to believe the developers when they say there is a lot of physics calculation going on.

And I think Rocket League looks a lot better than SARPBC, but maybe that's just me.

You can believe the devs as much as you like, it doesn't mean their patchy Unreal Engine 3 game is optimised. The port isn't a great port at all, visually. I mean, just look at it!

(I agree Rocket League looks better than SARPBC, but Rocket League on Switch does not, which was my point)

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is this a joke post???? Looks like you don't have any knowledge about game development... Just throwing fact pulled from your a***. Go away with that s...

What am I pulling out of my ass, exactly? There are far more demanding games already out on Switch. It's their old UE3 engine that makes the port shoddy. The physics is handled by Bullet, which is really old - there isn't anything *special* going on here!

R00bot

Nov 1, 2017
What am I pulling out of my ass, exactly? There are far more demanding games already out on Switch. It's their old UE3 engine that makes the port shoddy. The physics is handled by Bullet, which is really old - there isn't anything *special* going on here!
UE3 is nothing to scoff at. Yes, it would run better on the Switch utilising UE4, but it's not. Batman Arkham Knight runs on UE3 and is still one of the best looking games on the PS4/Xbox One.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only arena that looks decent everything else man not sure why they can't match this
DOlv-0wW4AAvYj0.jpg

DOlwEfgX0AA_DZV.jpg

DOlwQqLXUAACb2a.jpg

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah finally decided to join the Rocket League hype train and my first few matched are fun.

Regarding the resolution/framerate: if you start in both portable or docked, the game looks rough; but when the match starts everything smooths out. In docked mode it looks better. Still, as far I can see during the matches I played fps is solid, no dips. That goes for both portable and docked.

In two 1 vs 1 matches I got two rage quits because I scored the first goal from the start.

Is there a Rocket League Era Switch friend code sharing? Would like to play vs others :)

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
UE3 is nothing to scoff at. Yes, it would run better on the Switch utilising UE4, but it's not. Batman Arkham Knight runs on UE3 and is still one of the best looking games on the PS4/Xbox One.

Agreed, it can look gorgeous. And RL looks good too! It's just that RL on Switch really doesn't look good, and the adaptive resolution tanks it down into hysterical low numbers during some 3v3 games in portable? I mean, this must be closer to 300p? And that's with very little geometry or effects going on.

s28Ue8q.jpg

Luckily it's much better in 1v1 docked. Hopefully a patch comes quickly.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These screenshots are absolutely terrible, and explains how a company could go from "we're still evaluating support" to releasing the game in less than eight months : the port has probably been rushed like madness.
Another attempt at cashing on the young eShop by releasing a game in a broken state. Will wait for a few months when everything will be patched and runs in an acceptable state.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plays and feels like Rocket League. Looks rough handheld, but it hasn't impeded gameplay. Happy to have it!

Last edited:

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
These screenshots are absolutely terrible, and explains how a company could go from "we're still evaluating support" to releasing the game in less than eight months : the port has probably been rushed like madness.
Another attempt at cashing on the young eShop by releasing a game in a broken state. Will wait for a few months when everything will be patched and runs in an acceptable state.

Broken? Let's chill out with the hyperbole. While you may not like the graphics, the game runs and plays perfectly fine. I've played around 10 matches and came away feeling pretty positive about this port despite the fact that I've played the hell out of the PS4 version.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broken? Let's chill out with the hyperbole. While you may not like the graphics, the game runs and plays perfectly fine. I've played around 10 matches and came away feeling pretty positive about this port despite the fact that I've played the hell out of the PS4 version.

A game being broken or not doesn't rely entirely on the framerate. Thanks god it's running at 60fps (and still with some hiccups apparently ?) considering how awful it looks. The good thing is that the devs already came out and say they'll optimize the whole thing, but it points to the question of why is it releasing now if they already knew they could make a lot of improvements ?

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the shitty decision to not include ANY dlc I'm pretty happy with my purchase of this.
But I'm not touching any of the dlc, I mean seriously, the packs are one cent more expensive than buying the two cars separately.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A game being broken or not doesn't rely entirely on the framerate. Thanks god it's running at 60fps (and still with some hiccups apparently ?) considering how awful it looks. The good thing is that the devs already came out and say they'll optimize the whole thing, but it points to the question of why is it releasing now if they already knew they could make a lot of improvements ?

Broken implies unplayable. There is nothing unplayable about this port, and I'm coming from PC. Relax.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is one rough looking port. I don't think it's reaching 60fps in the GameExplain video either, looks like it stutters a lot.

I figured they'd have issues with it. When it originally launched it couldn't keep 60fps on PS4 (got there via patches though). What's really bad is the HUD though, it's already small enough on PC. I'm surprised they kept it the same on the Switch.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks ok. I'm not having my Switch handheld too close to me so it's ok

On tv with my mcable it looks quite ok as well. Happy

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from the shitty decision to not include ANY dlc I'm pretty happy with my purchase of this.
But I'm not touching any of the dlc, I mean seriously, the packs are one cent more expensive than buying the two cars separately.

The packs have unique cars, you can't buy them separately.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Man this is one rough looking port. I don't think it's reaching 60fps in the GameExplain video either, looks like it stutters a lot.

I figured they'd have issues with it. When it originally launched it couldn't keep 60fps on PS4 (got there via patches though). What's really bad is the HUD though, it's already small enough on PC. I'm surprised they kept it the same on the Switch.

The only performance issues I've had are the same I've had on other platforms - i.e. network related. Someone mentioned earlier that certain effects / goal explosions made the framerate dip, but seems solid to me.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a very high speed port. So many rough edges. The outcome seems to be mostly acceptable though since the team appears to have had the correct priorities. Let's hope they can spare some more time and money on optimisations and patches.