• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
The dlc is just new skins for cars? First time playing r.league

DLC includes different cars, and decorative options. With regards to the cars, there are several different hitboxes that cars can utilize. Here's a spreadsheet that shows the differences. Some cars are flatter than others, some are taller, and some are a little bigger. It's not an outright advantage, and that's why you haven't seen a lot of people treating it as pay-to-win or anything. But a tip I can give you as a Rocket League veteran is that you should try out the different cars and see what works best for your playstyle.

That being said, once you start getting better at the game, you will start to notice a bigger difference in playstyle between each type of hitbox and you'll then be able to reevaluate what car you want to use. Most pros use Octane. It's a great all-arounder. It's what I use. Dominus, which comes in the Supersonic Fury DLC pack, is probably the second most-used. Then there are a few pros who like the Batmobile. But yeah for now, don't worry about what car you use. It will come in time.

n0madgamer

Oct 26, 2017
Never played Rocket League. Downloading it after I finish playing Splatoon. Can't wait to try it out later.

Oct 25, 2017

Alrighty.

Even playing it docked the resolution was a bit of a shock after playing ~600 hours on Steam, ha. Handheld it doesn't bother me so much I think, and that's mostly how I'll be playing it. After playing two online matches I can confirm this is indeed Rocket League on the Switch and boy does it make me happy.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
First impression: My freaking eyes! If you've played the PC version or so just a warning, you will be shocked about the graphics and not in a good way. Ok now back to playing some more.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I've never played the PC version, I think it looks... fine
I am having a blast just in free play...

Oct 27, 2017
Just got done playing portable for a few rounds. I have no idea how anyone can have a problem with this. Game plays great.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Look, I'm not BS'ing you. Regardless of which architecture Nintendo chooses for each system, a first party studio knows they're targeting a certain lower end performance spec and makes tradeoffs accordingly. When we built Rocket League, we were targeting PS4 and PC and didn't make those tradeoffs which is why you see things like a transparent "cage" surrounding each map so you can read wall and ceiling bounces, and why each car has a huge particle spewing booster on the back. It's also why our vehicle physics simulation is pretty complex. I don't think we would have made any of those specific choices if we were targeting Switch hardware from the jump, but they do incur a performance cost now. It's come a long way already just to hit 60 FPS on Switch and there's hopefully still some decent headroom to improve now that we've hit our original goal (launch at 60 FPS in 3v3).
Hello and thanks for sharing this and for bringing the game to my beloved Switch. I assure you most people sympathize with devs for all the hard work it takes to do this and just want to have fun with this incredible game! I bought it on minute 1 and don't have the slightest regret. Thank you for bringing the game complete, with friend invite, split screen and ad-hoc. That's remarkable. Keep up the good work. And don't mind the trolls.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Resolution in some stages in portable mode is really low. It looks like a blurry jaggy mess...

But it plays fine and that's the most important thing. Sacrifices had to be made to get 60fps...

CoolS

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that really bothers me is no transparent goalposts. That was a gamechanger for me in PC

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
This is still the same fun it seems from my PS4 version gameplay is still nice
But I agree though the ugly textures is a turn off, unlocking new cars and other parts don't feel as rewarding when you just unlocked some blurry ass car

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe get rid of crowds and 3d objects outside of the arena to try and hit 720p. 720p on the handheld screen would be perfect. Do what you can to hit that if possible. I doubt anyone would care if everything out of the arena was removed.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Playing in portable mode. First impression is that it is super ugly, but the gameplay is solid and I haven't noticed any stutters or slowdown. I'm happy with it given how good the gameplay feels.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just make a rocket labs option for people that want sharper image quality. The VR look must surely help optimisation?

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely buying this when I come back from work but.. I wonder.. I guess there's no way to get the tag I use on the pc version right? Or the other stuff like cars and so on?

DeanBDean

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Rocket League before downloading it on the Switch. If it's uglier than the other versions, I don't really care. It's a blast to play, I get the hype after just three matches

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Playing in portable mode. First impression is that it is super ugly, but the gameplay is solid and I haven't noticed any stutters or slowdown. I'm happy with it given how good the gameplay feels.
Exact same thoughts after my first match. Sure it isn't pretty at all, but the 60fps is perfect. It actually plays better in handheld mode than expected, so I'm quite happy with it.

Can't believe I'll be able to take RL on the go now.

Deleted member 17361

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a few AI matches and I love it, feels great playing RL handheld. I'm really glad it has single joycon support too! Will make for some easy co-op :)
Gonna be awhile before I go online though lol, I'm very rusty atm

George

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played for about 5 hours after work tonight. Already up to Diamond 2 for Solo Standard. Game looks about how I'd expect most of the time. The most jarring thing is when particle effects cause the resolution to plummet to keep the game running 60 fps. Very impressed with the port. Even tried playing using mobile hotspot on my 4G connection and was met with surprisingly good results; some hiccups here and there but very smooth and decent ping for the most part. Only came across one other Switch player the entire time, but it hadn't launched on the NA eShop at that point.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's quite ugly, but it's very smooth. There was no noticeable slowdown during the few matches I played, and it being portable makes it more likely for me to pick up and play (especially in bed at night). It looks better in portable mode even with the lower resolution because of the smaller screen, but docked mode is not a pretty sight on a large TV. It's full on portable Rocket League regardless, not much more I can ask for.

Too bad I suck though - Joycons are more difficult than DS4, and I was already awful on PS4.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Just played a couple of games just before going to work, ah ah this is amazing. Docked, there's aliasing despite my Marseille gaming cable, and resolution could be better in handheld mode, but the game is just too brilliant, I was smiling the whole time.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I logged about 700 hours on Xbox of this wonderful game, so playing a few matches in bed just now felt so great.

The only thing I'd warn intermediate/advanced players about is if you usually play claw with R - boost and ZR - accelerate then you may find your hands hurting a tad after frequent use in handheld mode.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it. I have the game already on both PS4 Pro and Steam using a 4K TV. This Switch version is great!
I will admit, my first game was in handheld mode and I think I played better there then in docked mode using a pro controller. Lol
I do feel the resolution in docked mode was the same, and looked worse on the giant tv screen. Or maybe it was that specific map that looked so low res. But anyway, I loved it in handheld, and had great fun in docked mode too. No, it's not close to the other versions in graphic detail. But I just don't care. It's the Switch. I love my games there. It's why I double dipped on Doom, LA Noire, and Skyrim. Traveling so much lately, I'm in heaven in the air and on the road. :)

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so I downloaded and tried the training mode using handheld mode and so far it's nowhere as blurry as Doom. I'm so relieved... unless it gets really bad in a real match.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so damned fun
Did an online match
and bought some DLC cars... Batmobile and the Delorean BTTF

I am maining the Delorean until I can get the Metroid car

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to wait for Digital Foundry, but said fuck it and bought it.

Yeah, it's pretty ugly in handheld mode, but still enough where you can see clearly what is going on. When everything is in motion, the resolution doesn't look that bad. If this is what it took to get 60FPS, then I am all for it, as ugly as it looks.

It's Rocket League on the Switch, and playable in handheld now.

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
Played it for 30 minutes on handheld mode. I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to play some more next time.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just played a couple of games just before going to work, ah ah this is amazing. Docked, there's aliasing despite my Marseille gaming cable, and resolution could be better in handheld mode, but the game is just too brilliant, I was smiling the whole time.
The mcable gives us some free low level AA, but it's not a miracle worker

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played one match (handheld mode).

Yeah, this port seems extremely good. 60fps was very smooth. It's not native res but it doesn't look as blurry as Doom does.
Doom is weird. It's like resolution roulette for me. I've played some multiplayer matches that look pretty blurry, probably 540p or something for the duration, and then other matches it looks like a pristine 720.

Nov 3, 2017
Could someone please post screenshots of the game in handheld mode? I'm not interested in the game but I am curious to see how it looks

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
DLC includes different cars, and decorative options. With regards to the cars, there are several different hitboxes that cars can utilize. Here's a spreadsheet that shows the differences. Some cars are flatter than others, some are taller, and some are a little bigger. It's not an outright advantage, and that's why you haven't seen a lot of people treating it as pay-to-win or anything. But a tip I can give you as a Rocket League veteran is that you should try out the different cars and see what works best for your playstyle.

That being said, once you start getting better at the game, you will start to notice a bigger difference in playstyle between each type of hitbox and you'll then be able to reevaluate what car you want to use. Most pros use Octane. It's a great all-arounder. It's what I use. Dominus, which comes in the Supersonic Fury DLC pack, is probably the second most-used. Then there are a few pros who like the Batmobile. But yeah for now, don't worry about what car you use. It will come in time.

Thank you so much for the write up. Looks like this will join splatoon 2 and arms as my multiplayer games rotation for a bit.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Played a match on the underwater map in 3s online... that was rough. Extremely low rez, like it felt maybe 480p if that. Really jagged edges on everything and I could hardly see the ball if it was more than midfield away from me.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My impressions thus far:

- Played in docked mode only and it runs fine. I didn't notice any major dips or hitches that I haven't seen on other platforms
- It's low res obviously and if you don't mind a bit of Vaseline on the screen you forget about it in like 2 minutes. I think it's the HUD elements that highlight the low res more than anything
- Lag was great for me. Had a very consistent 36 ping on the Oceania servers
- Used the Pro controller which took some adjustment after using the Elite on Xbox One but once I got my binding right, it was fine. Just set them the same as on my Dualshock 4

Is there a reason I didn't have to use the Nintendo app to go online? OR is that a 1st party thing?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thoughts on input lag from players from PC? Used to having no vsync to minimze any sort of semblance of lag or "mushiness"

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
3 matches, 3 Wins, 4 Goals. I seem to be better at getting aerials with the pro controller compared to DS4. It's the same old Rocket League but now you can take it more places. Would have loved to have had a centralized Rocket League account for cosmetics and stuff but it's fine, I'll just kick ass with Octane with flame decals and a pirate hat.