• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I had actually skipped buying this because Jason from Giant Bomb mentioned it was 30 FPS, and then later I learned it was 60 with adaptive resolution (I saw a *terrible* screenshot with it running at low resolution and then didn't believe the 30 FPS claim).

Are the devs looking to keep the Switch version patched? Can we hope for performance improvements in the future? Either way, hearing it's 60 is enough for me to pick it up.
Without a doubt. The game is crossplatform so it will continue to get support. The other console versions had fps problems on some maps as well and with continued optimizations the game runs a lot better. They will definitely put more work into the switch version.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had actually skipped buying this because Jason from Giant Bomb mentioned it was 30 FPS, and then later I learned it was 60 with adaptive resolution (I saw a *terrible* screenshot with it running at low resolution and then didn't believe the 30 FPS claim).

Are the devs looking to keep the Switch version patched? Can we hope for performance improvements in the future? Either way, hearing it's 60 is enough for me to pick it up.

I don't think we have official confirmation from them on this matter but they seemed passionate about this version of the game leading up to its release and it is performing very, very well sales-wise going off of the charts so for them to abandon this version would be kinda surprising and very disappointing at this stage. If they don't improve the visuals I'd imagine it would be because they can't rather than just not bothering, they did comment on the visuals here at launch when it got the expected backlash and said that they are limited by the system, as expected.

Basically just keep your fingers crossed :)

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
I know I'm a bit of an outlier as I've played about 2,000 hours of RL on PC and PS4 but for me the Switch version is unplayable. I only play undocked and the input lag is just too much, I can't play at anywhere close to what I'm capable of on PC. Obviously I didn't expect it to match the performance of my PC and monitor setup but it's so far off I can't even perform basic aerials with any semblance of consistency. Too frustrating. Sadly I can't enjoy this game casually anymore, I'm just too deep in.

Yeah, I'm the same. On the PC and PS4 I can pretty much fly all over the place hitting aerials but on the Switch I feel like I'm going to miss literally everything. I still play it on the Switch as I love getting a portable Rocket League fix but it really doesn't feel great.

The people who say adjusting the controls fixes it are wrong in my opinion sadly.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
So from the sounds of this thread it's worth picking up? Only a casual player and have it on PS4 but could be a good game to play in bed/on the road.

Not to concerned if it's ugly in handheld mode as long as it runs.

Are they running the Christmas event on the switch as well? Been enjoying getting some of those items

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
So from the sounds of this thread it's worth picking up? Only a casual player and have it on PS4 but could be a good game to play in bed/on the road.

Are they running the Christmas event on the switch as well? Been enjoying getting some of those items

I think it's totally worth it. Christmad event is also coming at the same time and they also announced a patch for today that includes some performance improvements.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It works perfectly fine in both modes, though the visual downgrades are noticeable too especially in handheld. It's exactly what I wanted really, said downgrades notwithstanding.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
It works perfectly fine in both modes, though the visual downgrades are noticeable too especially in handheld. It's exactly what I wanted really, said downgrades notwithstanding.
I think it's totally worth it. Christmad event is also coming at the same time and they also announced a patch for today that includes some performance improvements.

Perfect, thanks ! If I can still play PS1 games the visual downgrade should be fine haha.

Time to become a Rookie again

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Patch goes live in an hour.
General

• [Nintendo Switch] Reduced the default Controller Deadzone to 0.15 from 0.3 to better utilize Joy-Con analog sticks

• Reduced volume of the Batmobile Goal Explosion
Performance

• [Nintendo Switch] Adjusted world detail to improve average resolution in Handheld Mode

• Optimized the following maps for Nintendo Switch and PC:

• Utopia Stadium (all variants)

• Farmstead

• Maps are optimized on PC when using 'Performance' World Detail setting
  • Improved the field texture visuals for the following maps on Nintendo Switch and PC:

• Champion's Field

• Wasteland

• Visual improvements on PC apply when High Quality Shaders are turned off
BUG FIXES
General

• Fixed Player Avatars sometimes displaying on the wrong user after someone quit or joined the lobby

• Fixed missing blowoff valve audio for Octane ZSR Engine

• [Nintendo Switch] Fixed a rare crash that could occur in the post-match Scoreboard in Rumble

• Grass is now visible on the Main Menu when using 'Performance' World Detail settings

• Ground Textures now appear on Farmstead when using 'Performance' World Detail

• [Steam] Fixed an issue with Older Urban Central replays crashing the game

• Quick chat audio no longer sounds when a player joins or leaves a server

• Goal Explosion audio no longer loops after previewing a Goal Explosion in the Crate Preview menu

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to hear just how much better performance is on the Switch post patch. Also curious to hear if the input lag complaints are addressed.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After the patch, a certain old forum is no longer an antenna flag that can be chosen in Rocket League. :P
Wonder when/if ResetERA will be put in...

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious to hear just how much better performance is on the Switch post patch. Also curious to hear if the input lag complaints are addressed.

The new undocked performance is going to be divisive. The resolution has improved and, IMO, the overall game looks much better now undocked than pre-patch but there were some notable sacrifices to make that happen, namely no more shadows. So it's a bit weird to look at your car during gameplay because there is no shadow there. Hopefully they can continue to tweak it and add some stuff back in but as is, I'm liking this patch.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this from the sale yesterday and played 20-30 minutes in handheld mode, however after I finished my playthrough my Switch was pretty warm. Is the normal? I don't recall other Switch games getting this hot.

Shinzo

Oct 31, 2017
Bought this from the sale yesterday and played 20-30 minutes in handheld mode, however after I finished my playthrough my Switch was pretty warm. Is the normal? I don't recall other Switch games getting this hot.

I've had this issue as well, so you're not alone there. Other than Rocket Leauge the only game that makes the console as warm or loud for me was Zelda.. although this was primarily after playing for a few hours in docked mode and then having a shorter session on handheld (without powering down between each)

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
The patch made this game so much better looking on handheld mode. I could've lived with the game as it was but, really, resolution was really too bad in some stages. Now the game is still a jagfest but it is way easier on the eyes. Good patch!

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the Switch version in 4-player splitscreen docked? Fun and playable or blurry, choppy mess?

EDIT: Sorry, answered above - it's not good enough apparantly

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Bought this during the eshop sale and just played a few games this morning.

It's Rocket League!

IMO it's an absolutely brilliant port. Plays perfectly. Looks more than good enough. Perfect frame rate. No lag problems whatsoever on WiFi.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's an awesome game in spite of the graphical downgrades. You quickly forget about them because the game plays perfectly on the Switch.

Last edited:

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm at the end of my tether here - how on earth do you set up a local multiplayer match!? I cannot for the life of me get even a simple 2 player splitscreen game going.

First I get all my controllers synced.

From the main menu I select Play Local, then Exhibition, then either 1v1 or 2v2, NO BOTS. "Private match" sounds right but appears to be for online purposes. "Host Local Lobby" also appears to be networked in some way.

Here I see 'Invite Players' which just seems to be an online invite, LR to 'rebind controllers' which just seems to be controller detection, and "PRESS + TO JOIN" which seems like the right option, but this just pops up a window "Select another user to play with." - what is this? I don't want to select another Switch user, I just want to play a quick local match. If I ignore this and create the match, the Choose Team option shows up in full screen and for only one player. If I select Join Blue, it starts the match with no other players. If I hit + it just pops up the damn "Select another user to play with" screen!

Am I missing something obvious? This game's UI is confusing enough.

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm at the end of my tether here - how on earth do you set up a local multiplayer match!? I cannot for the life of me get even a simple 2 player splitscreen game going.

First I get all my controllers synced.

From the main menu I select Play Local, then Exhibition, then either 1v1 or 2v2, NO BOTS. "Private match" sounds right but appears to be for online purposes. "Host Local Lobby" also appears to be networked in some way.

Here I see 'Invite Players' which just seems to be an online invite, LR to 'rebind controllers' which just seems to be controller detection, and "PRESS + TO JOIN" which seems like the right option, but this just pops up a window "Select another user to play with." - what is this? I don't want to select another Switch user, I just want to play a quick local match. If I ignore this and create the match, the Choose Team option shows up in full screen and for only one player. If I select Join Blue, it starts the match with no other players. If I hit + it just pops up the damn "Select another user to play with" screen!

Am I missing something obvious? This game's UI is confusing enough.
press plus on the other controllers

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
press plus on the other controllers
Like I mentioned, that pops up a 'Select another user to play with", and I can't select my own username again. I can only select another Switch user (who isn't playing and I don't want to use their account while they're away) or add a new user to the Switch, and I don't want to add new Switch users just for Rocket League. Every other Switch game I've played lets me play local multiplayer games without creating new accounts.

I don't ever want to play the game online, I only bought it for the split-screen multiplayer and it's completely stumped me.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Like I mentioned, that pops up a 'Select another user to play with", and I can't select my own username again. I can only select another Switch user (who isn't playing and I don't want to use their account while they're away) or add a new user to the Switch, and I don't want to add new Switch users just for Rocket League. Every other Switch game I've played lets me play local multiplayer games without creating new accounts.

I don't ever want to play the game online, I only bought it for the split-screen multiplayer and it's completely stumped me.

Minecraft multiplayer does the same. I think it's because the rewards you might unlock after the match in Rocket League needs to be connected to a user (in Minecraft's case, it's because the achievements are individual).

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, are you serious? You have to create new Switch accounts just to play offline multiplayer with guests? I don't care about unlocks or rewards in the slightest, and I don't want my Switch littered with guest accounts. That basically means this game is unplayable for me. There's no way to get a refund on Switch is there?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, are you serious? You have to create new Switch accounts just to play offline multiplayer with guests? I don't care about unlocks or rewards in the slightest, and I don't want my Switch littered with guest accounts. That basically means this game is unplayable for me. There's no way to get a refund on Switch is there?

Yup, that's what you have to do, at least from my experience. Wasn't a huge issue for me, cause my kids already had their own accounts on my Switch, but I had to create an account for my wife. Really wish they didn't require separate accounts and just allowed a "Guest" option.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. What a pain!! I can't believe I haven't seen any info about this anywhere else, I suppose nobody else has had much of a problem with it.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League is easily one of my all time faves. Gotta say that if anyone hasn't tried the game, this version is fantastic if you're just looking to play online. Very happy with my purchase and can already foresee a ton of hours being sunk into this. Great job Panic Button!

kreven

Oct 25, 2017
NB, Canada
Thanks for the info. What a pain!! I can't believe I haven't seen any info about this anywhere else, I suppose nobody else has had much of a problem with it.

If I remember correctly, the guys at Psyonix said they'd add the 'Guest' option in a future update on Switch as this is already available on other versions.

Edit: There it is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...itscreen_online_multiplayer_in_rocket_league/
Hi everyone! We've seen your feedback in regards to splitscreen online multiplayer in Rocket League and we're actively working on a solution to what we have identified as a bug. It wasn't our intention to require a Nintendo Account for each splitscreen online player, and we're working on addressing this in a hotfix by the end of the year. We are still investigating, but our goal is to eventually require only one Nintendo Account for splitscreen online play, with additional players joining as Guests. Thank you, all!

Devin Connors

Community Manager, Rocket League and Psyonix Studios

Bizu

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo - BR
Buy RL to Switch was one of my awful decisions for this year. I have almost 800 hours of game in PC (witch means, I really love this game)

But...

-Connection Issues
-High Latency (isnt local problem)
-No Anti-Aliasing
-High response time

Seriously, play in portable mode is really awful. If the ball it's a bit far away, u almost cant see it!

Really disappointed.

Trying a refund right now.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy RL to Switch was one of my awful decisions for this year. I have almost 800 hours of game in PC (witch means, I really love this game)

But...

-Connection Issues
-High Latency (isnt local problem)
-No Anti-Aliasing
-High response time

Seriously, play in portable mode is really awful. If the ball it's a bit far away, u almost cant see it!

Really disappointed.

Trying a refund right now.
This still the case. Was thinking about buying since it's on sale

Ubiblu

Banned
Dec 20, 2017

Not to sound like a prick or anything, but you must suffer from challenged vision. I play RL almost exclusively in portable mode and have zero trouble following the ball across the entire field.

I think you may just be biased to the vastly superior 4K experience. The Switch is an incredibly versatile device, but it is not a portable PC. Align your expectations accordingly or DYOR prior to purchase to avoid disappointment.

Also, no lag or connectivity issues here after 50 hours.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
As a counter opinion, I played RL to death on PS4, bought the Switch version on a whim over the Xmas break thinking I'd probably not play it much. I now have 40 hours playtime in it. Played nearly entirely in handheld mode. I love it to bits. There is no escaping that it does look a bit lo-fi in handheld, but I've never lost sight of the ball, other players or the goals.

No idea why Bizu is claiming the game has connection or latency issues. My ping to me regional servers are always in the same ~30ms as I got on PS4, and haven't had any connection issues. As for "high response time", I don't know what they mean. If they mean input lag or deadzone, then this is easily sorted by reducing the deadzone in the setting. The default was way too high (I believe the latter patches have reduced the default to suit the Joycons better).

So yeah, buy RL.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. Will buy then. Already have on PS4 but seems suited for switch pick up and play. Hopefully the competition isn't as tough either :D

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This still the case. Was thinking about buying since it's on sale
No it's not still the case.

I play in handheld mode all the time on 5GHz wi-fi. My ping is usually around 40ms according to the scoreboard. There's zero input latency as far as I can tell, and I don't have any issues with visibility whether in 1v1 or 3v3 matches.

It is true that there's no AA but it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the game. I now have around 15 hours in the Switch version and I never play the game on my Xbox One or PS4 anymore.

The competition will be roughly the same since it has full cross-play with the PC and Xbox One versions. So there are always tens of thousands of people to matchmake with, and I regularly see 100,000+ on the weekends. But that also means there will be plenty of people at all skill levels, not just the high-end.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I can vouch for the game as well. Obviously the resolution is low and changes everytime. However, performance for me is stellar. Issues of connectivity on Switch often relate to wifi setup. Use 5Ghz and an exclusive Ssid.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, played a few matches and it runs smooth for me. Graphics are worse than expected undocked but I'll manage.

Is their a way to turn off cross play?