• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18807

It is imperative that I am able to join in and make teams with friends that play on PC. I'm holding up on buying it on Switch (even though I got bored up really fast on PC) just for that. Can someone clear it up for me?

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
It is imperative that I am able to join in and make teams with friends that play on PC. I'm holding up on buying it on Switch (even though I got bored up really fast on PC) just for that. Can someone clear it up for me?
I don't think you can make cross-platform parties (according to my friend from a discussion yesterday -- I don't have the switch version of RL).

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017

You 100% cannot do this at the moment. They are working on a party option that organizes parties within the Rocket League system itself so once that launches you'll be able to team up Switch/XBO/PC players or PC/PS4 players

Deleted member 18807

You 100% cannot do this at the moment. They are working on a party option that organizes parties within the Rocket League system itself so once that launches you'll be able to team up Switch/XBO/PC players or PC/PS4 players
Looks promising! I'll hold onto it until that, though.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's that the Joycon have native input delay as they are never truly "wired" to the console, or if there's slowdown, or what. PC is still king in terms of presentation and "feel," but I definitely think the Switch version is viable for those that don't have a strong PC and want that portability for local LAN play with friends or mini tournaments.

Just to clarify—docked joycons do not communicate "wirelessly" to the switch—they are effectively wired controllers in this scenario.

The input lag must be coming from elsewhere.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
The framerate to me seemed problematic tonight. I normally don't play docked but was doing so tonight. I'm not sure if it was me seeing it on a big screen that made it janky, or if the Switch version is always like that? It was certainly not a steady 60 fps, it felt like I was playing an unpolished beta version.

ayo moose

Oct 31, 2017
i love this game, but the image quality in handheld mode is atrocious on the big/complicated maps. i really hope the IQ is something can fix, either by reducing/simplifying background geometry or just various enhancements. i "understand" that UE3 might be a reason for poor performance, but there are so many other games on the switch which look and perform much better

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Handheld mode can get chunky at times, but very playable. That said, docked mode still has better image quality...

...I can't get LOVE U NEED U out of my head...

Edit: No lag on my end.

:Motorbass

Oct 28, 2017
In the middle of a recent match someone took his time to type "moto u suck". And he is right :< But I love playing the game anyways.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
This isn't a Switch issue, as its the same on every platform, but they need to do something about people quitting at the first sign of trouble. Say you're 2 up and the opposite team comes back to 2-2 or maybe even pulls ahead - people can often leave with 2 minutes to go - which is plenty of time to get a result. Even when I'm losing against a pair of experts, I stay in the game and try to use it to toughen up. I can't stand quitters in this game. Obviously its more prevalent in the casual modes where it doesn't affect rank.. they need to start punishing it imo.

I have to say - it's not even fun when someone does it on the opposite team. They leave their teammate out to dry and you end up thumping them because all they've got is a bot to play with - or in competitive - they're just flat out abandoned. Shit sucks. Shitty attitude IMO.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't a Switch issue, as its the same on every platform, but they need to do something about people quitting at the first sign of trouble. Say you're 2 up and the opposite team comes back to 2-2 or maybe even pulls ahead - people can often leave with 2 minutes to go - which is plenty of time to get a result. Even when I'm losing against a pair of experts, I stay in the game and try to use it to toughen up. I can't stand quitters in this game. Obviously its more prevalent in the casual modes where it doesn't affect rank.. they need to start punishing it imo.

I have to say - it's not even fun when someone does it on the opposite team. They leave their teammate out to dry and you end up thumping them because all they've got is a bot to play with - or in competitive - they're just flat out abandoned. Shit sucks. Shitty attitude IMO.
And I don't even understand why people do it. It's not like there are penaltys for losing the game. It's still fun to learn even when you are losing.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about mapping buttons.

I learned a day ago that the spin left and spin right actions aren't mapped to any buttons on the Pro Controller or Joycons. Does anyone have them mapped, and if so, can recommend a good setup? Was having trouble replacing certain buttons without missing some other helpful actions. Those spin buttons would help my aerial game I think.

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The framerate to me seemed problematic tonight. I normally don't play docked but was doing so tonight. I'm not sure if it was me seeing it on a big screen that made it janky, or if the Switch version is always like that? It was certainly not a steady 60 fps, it felt like I was playing an unpolished beta version.

It's been like this since day 1 for me in docked mode. Frame rate is all over the place.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017

Try playing ranked instead, it happens way less frequently. And I don't think it should be punished in casual... that's why there's a competitive mode. :p

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis
I've never played Rocket League before. I don't play a lot of online multiplayer games other than Splatoon 2.

I really like Mario Kart.

Should I jump in? I'm afraid it won't catch me.

I played a bunch of matches online on the Xbox One but I found that the seasons with single-player are quite fun. The difficulty can be increased as you get better and can change number of opponents and teammates. Enemy AI and teammate AI is actually pretty good. Once you destroy the CPU on your first season then up the difficulty. It can get quite difficult. The single player stuff justifies the $20 for me. Go for it!

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bunch of matches online on the Xbox One but I found that the seasons with single-player are quite fun. The difficulty can be increased as you get better and can change number of opponents and teammates. Enemy AI and teammate AI is actually pretty good. Once you destroy the CPU on your first season then up the difficulty. It can get quite difficult. The single player stuff justifies the $20 for me. Go for it!
I agree with this. It's still worth it even for people who mostly play alone. There are enough modes and rewards to keep you playing for awhile.

roboleon

random guy on the internet
Oct 26, 2017
Practicing sick aerials on the go rocks

Have not tested online yet, I assume it's less crowded than steam?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a post in the thread that details the ideal settings?

If not, are there any changes I should make the to default settings?

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
It's been like this since day 1 for me in docked mode. Frame rate is all over the place.

Thanks for the reply. Usually when docking my Switch, I'm anticipating a performance boost in some minor way, not the other way around... I played a few Rocket League games via handheld tonight -- the way I usually have played it... It still seems to run pretty well in handheld (in contrast to the choppier docked way I recently played and whined about). Just seems weird. Shouldn't docked mode simply perform better and not worse?

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Usually when docking my Switch, I'm anticipating a performance boost in some minor way, not the other way around... I played a few Rocket League games via handheld tonight -- the way I usually have played it... It still seems to run pretty well in handheld (in contrast to the choppier docked way I recently played and whined about). Just seems weird. Shouldn't docked mode simply perform better and not worse?

I could be wrong, but it seems like when docked it's running at higher overall resolutions and sort of abandons stable frame rate. When portable the resolution can drop dramatically but the frame rate seems far more consistent.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So here's a weird question for people: does the game suddenly look like total shit? I mean like more than normal. All of a sudden textures look awful, it seems the resolution is perpetually low, there's no shadows (except in replays, which is weird?), and the framerate is constantly sub-30, with major hitching. It wasn't like this earlier today. Only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing else is working.

I'm plugged in to a TV, if that makes a difference. Split-screen, but we both instantly noticed how bad it was compared to before

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know if this is getting a physical release? It did on other consoles but ive seen no mention of it regarding the switch version.

Deleted member 9197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So here's a weird question for people: does the game suddenly look like total shit? I mean like more than normal. All of a sudden textures look awful, it seems the resolution is perpetually low, there's no shadows (except in replays, which is weird?), and the framerate is constantly sub-30, with major hitching. It wasn't like this earlier today. Only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing else is working.

I'm plugged in to a TV, if that makes a difference. Split-screen, but we both instantly noticed how bad it was compared to before

I just bought and played this for about an hour today with zero issues. It looked and played fine to me. It has some apparent visual downgrades that everyone knows about, but it was smooth at 30 with no hiccups, textures looked fine, and I was actually impressed with how it looked after everyone's complaints about it.

Did you do a full power down and restart of the console? That seems to have cleared up issues for others.

What you're describing is definitely not normal.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just bought and played this for about an hour today with zero issues. It looked and played fine to me. It has some apparent visual downgrades that everyone knows about, but it was smooth at 30 with no hiccups, textures looked fine, and I was actually impressed with how it looked after everyone's complaints about it.

Did you do a full power down and restart of the console? That seems to have cleared up issues for others.

What you're describing is definitely not normal.

Yeah I tried a full power cycle. I haven't launched it in a few days, I'll see if there's any difference

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty specific question, but this is the most active RL thread at the moment and I have a question about the Switch version. Does anyone here know if you can make "follow the ball" camera the default camera? Don't wanna hold down X all the time.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty specific question, but this is the most active RL thread at the moment and I have a question about the Switch version. Does anyone here know if you can make "follow the ball" camera the default camera? Don't wanna hold down X all the time.
Is it not just a toggle? On PC it is (I think).

edit: ah, explained below.

Last edited:

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017

You can chose between "toggle" and "hold" in the options and the game will memorise your latest choice across subsequent matches.

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Wow splitscreen looks terrible in docked mode, terribly low resolution and framerate in the 20s. Seems to be a lot more input lag too. Don't buy this version if you're expecting a good splitscreen game, get it on any other console or PC if you can.

Deleted member 9197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes it is 60 FPS. I hope they will patch soon this game to improve the portable resolution. It plays very well, but I would really enjoy a quality image improvement.

Hell, I don't know. Thought I'd read "30" somewhere. I'm one of those broken people who can't tell the difference. Haha

Forgive me!

But yeah, point stands: game looks great to me minus some totally reasonable downgrades.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Practicing sick aerials on the go rocks

Have not tested online yet, I assume it's less crowded than steam?

It's crossplay with Xbox & PC, so tons of people online to play with. Last night I'd get 1-3 Switch people in a match with me with everyone else from other platforms. Even ran into PC bots farming item drops that barely move.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Got myself a Switch and downloaded Rocket League, looks pretty damn good while docked. In handheld mode its a bit hard to spot the ball but overal I'm very impressed.

Now to get used to the controls :P

Deleted member 33409

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Hell, I don't know. Thought I'd read "30" somewhere. I'm one of those broken people who can't tell the difference. Haha

Forgive me!

But yeah, point stands: game looks great to me minus some totally reasonable downgrades.

No worries, I still think they could have achieved more making this port. Having 60 frames is a must for a game like Rocket League, but still I can see the Switch perform much better with a game like this. It shouldn't be a problem for a game like Rocket League run at 720p all the time in portable mode with more details. I was expecting a better porting, in docked mode too like 900p/60 fps. Well, maybe Panic Button was on a budget, who knows. Let's wait for a patch, maybe they can still surprise us.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
No worries, I still think they could have achieved more making this port. Having 60 frames is a must for a game like Rocket League, but still I can see the Switch perform much better with a game like this. It shouldn't be a problem for a game like Rocket League run at 720p all the time in portable mode with more details. I was expecting a better porting, in docked mode too like 900p/60 fps. Well, maybe Panic Button was on a budget, who knows. Let's wait for a patch, maybe they can still surprise us.
From Wiki: 'Due to the Switch's lack of natural support for Unreal Engine 3, some compromises had to be made in the porting process, such as by reducing the graphical quality to 720p.' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_League

Not sure if Unreal Engine 4 has better support on Switch, but seems that optimizations should be possible.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks, I feel like the Switch shouldn't have any problems with this game, but I figured it was because Unreal 3. Also, I wish Digital Foundry would do a video for this, a comparison. Would love to know exactly what's going on with some stages that look like trash. The wastelands is so awful.

Last edited:

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Been loving Rocket League on the Switch but why do I keep getting games with 2 or more AI opponents when it says there's 7k+ in the playlist?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Docked: Some levels like Farmstead (wtf?) look like absolute dogshit, while others look fine. I wonder why? A case of port time? The levels that look bad aren't noticeably more complex than those that look clean and polished. Makes me think they might get cleaned up later.

I've not noticed any frame drops in either mode. Game plays as smoothly on the Switch as it does for me on PC (i5/970.)

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Game doesn't look so hot but am glad it runs on 60 fps and its really fun to play with friends. Worth it so much.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Played an obscene number of hours on PS4 and recently a good few hours on the Xbox. Had to get it on switch. Good lord what an excellent port. This is rocket league and it's fantastic. Sure it's not anywhere near as polished as other ports but it's superb to play.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm a bit of an outlier as I've played about 2,000 hours of RL on PC and PS4 but for me the Switch version is unplayable. I only play undocked and the input lag is just too much, I can't play at anywhere close to what I'm capable of on PC. Obviously I didn't expect it to match the performance of my PC and monitor setup but it's so far off I can't even perform basic aerials with any semblance of consistency. Too frustrating. Sadly I can't enjoy this game casually anymore, I'm just too deep in.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm a bit of an outlier as I've played about 2,000 hours of RL on PC and PS4 but for me the Switch version is unplayable. I only play undocked and the input lag is just too much, I can't play at anywhere close to what I'm capable of on PC. Obviously I didn't expect it to match the performance of my PC and monitor setup but it's so far off I can't even perform basic aerials with any semblance of consistency. Too frustrating. Sadly I can't enjoy this game casually anymore, I'm just too deep in.
This has kept me away from it (at least until I can test it/demo it somewhere). I'm about 750 hours into the PC version and used to high res, high framerate, low input lag.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping we get word of a patch for the Switch version soon. All this input lag and super low resolutions talk has me staying away for now.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
A few people earlier in the thread said their perceived input lag went down when they adjusted the controller dead zone - that it wasn't actually input lag but rather poor configurations.

Is that not the case? Are you seeing significant lag in button presses as an example?

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I had actually skipped buying this because Jason from Giant Bomb mentioned it was 30 FPS, and then later I learned it was 60 with adaptive resolution (I saw a *terrible* screenshot with it running at low resolution and then didn't believe the 30 FPS claim).

Are the devs looking to keep the Switch version patched? Can we hope for performance improvements in the future? Either way, hearing it's 60 is enough for me to pick it up.