• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
"If you play Rocket League on Linux, you can try Steam's Proton app or Wine."

Once again Epic takes advantage of a Valve developed feature to avoid doing it themselves while elsewhere insinuating Valve don't do anything useful with their industry standard store cut.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Linux life. Used to it.

When it comes to game companies and linux, even token support is exceptional. Lip service or laughter is par.

What valve does for Linux? Forget about it. It's unbelievable. Astonishing. Not in a million years would I expect that type of support.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Knew this was coming the moment they pulled it from Steam

e: I misremembered, I'm thinking of their post-acquisition silence. In any case, not surprised (also won't be surprised when steam support disappears)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
"If you play Rocket League on Linux, you can try Steam's Proton app or Wine."

Once again Epic takes advantage of a Valve developed feature to avoid doing it themselves while elsewhere insinuating Valve don't do anything useful with their industry standard store cut.
God-tier post. I don't know who you are or where you live, but if we ever meet in real life, I'm buying you a beer

I already own this game on PS4, but was going to grab it on PC to play with my PC homies. Not anymore.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
This update will disable online functionality (such as in-game purchases) for players on macOS and Linux, but offline features including Local Matches, and splitscreen play will still be accessible.

Imagine having spent tons of money on a game for personal enjoyment, and then having all of that stripped because you chose two of the wrong platforms to play on. I mean games sunset all the time, but this isn't that. The game is flourishing.... What a shitty thing to do.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do the people blaming Epic for this not realize the EGS is on Mac and they have a reason to want to keep selling games to those people?

If anything, Epic wouldn't want Psyonix to stop supporting it.

Oct 27, 2017
Only giving 2 month notice of this is some bullshit. Major system requirement changes and/or OS support should be announced far more advance than that.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for about twelve people. :)

No, but I wonder what their next-gen plans are? Keep supporting the current Rocket League on those platforms, or will there be a RL2? It's a GaaS, so I'm guessing the former. As long as I can keep playing on PS5 I'm good!

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Linux and Mac will never be good options for gaming will they?

Apple nor the consortium really want to rise up so I can't blame devs. Devs should not be doing the heavy lifting that firmware makers should be doing. I will not be nice this decade considering the gains to be made.

I really want linux to rise but it has various issues keeping it from being good for gamer be it developement or consumers.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Do the people blaming Epic for this not realize the EGS is on Mac and they have a reason to want to keep selling games to those people?

If anything, Epic wouldn't want Psyonix to stop supporting it.

They mostly talk about Linux. Mac support will be dropped probably because Apple moving from 32bit. It happened to many games.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a decision of upcoming tech choices vs player base on mac/linux. Both of what people outside Psyonix know nothing about.

Would we want future development of RL to be gimped because 10 people are playing it on Mac? Probably not.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
The game is on Steam. 50% off at the moment. I am not sure what you "knew", but you got the facts wrong.
Ah, sorry, they haven't pulled it yet. My mistake.

I wrote off Rocket League on PC the moment Epic acquired the studio and refused to offer any reassurances they'd continue to support their existing platforms. Them pulling RL off linux/mac was a formality, as is them pulling it off of Steam.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So, since Epic took over:
- The price of the game has increased by crazy amounts in third world countries. This was as soon as they took over
- MacOS and Linux support removed

I wonder what's next. :^)

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, since Epic took over:
- The price of the game has increased by crazy amounts in third world countries. This was as soon as they took over
- MacOS and Linux support removed

I wonder what's next. :^)
They also removed the random ingame drops and replaced them with an ingame shop where you have to buy everything for credits.
All those new items in the shop are non-tradable, effectively disabling the Steam Market. Such a move could turn out to be helpful if you plan to leave Steam someday.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When people talk about Epic pulling it off Steam, it means no longer selling it there but anyone who already bought it will be able to continue to play it online, right?

It's a crappy situation as a whole regardless but if it stops working, like here with Linux and Mac, I'm rioting.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They also removed the random ingame drops and replaced them with an ingame shop where you have to buy everything for credits.
All those new items in the shop are non-tradable, effectively disabling the Steam Market. Such a move could turn out to be helpful if you plan to leave Steam someday.
Competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
When people talk about Epic pulling it off Steam, it means no longer selling it there but anyone who already bought it will be able to continue to play it online, right?

Back in May, Epic said all Steam purchasers will continue to receive patches, dlc and all content after game is removed in late 2019.

I'd guess this is first step in preparation of migration to EGS.

Competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't give Steam Users better service than their own.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Huh that's interesting. Maybe support will end for that as well.
Probably not, this decision is probably based on the relative number of sales vs the time spent developing for the Linux/Mac platform. For example, there were 10.5m copies sold as of March 2017. If Psyonix is spending 10% of their time fixing bugs for say ~100k users, then the writing was on the wall. If the Switch userbase is close to 1m though and they make many in-app purchases, then it's worth the effort.

Epic's funding probably accelerated plans that were already in motion by the disproportionate development time.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Probably not, this decision is probably based on the relative number of sales vs the time spent developing for the Linux/Mac platform. For example, there were 10.5m copies sold as of March 2017. If Psyonix is spending 10% of their time fixing bugs for say ~100k users, then the writing was on the wall. If the Switch userbase is close to 1m though and they make many in-app purchases, then it's worth the effort.

Epic's funding probably accelerated plans that were already in motion by the disproportionate development time.
Also since I made this post I realized the Switch version probably doesn't use opengl but instead NVIDIAs graphics API.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Countdown till Steam isn't supported starts now. Hopefully those Linux/Mac users who bought Rocket League can now get a refund now that their game is practically not gonna work in the future. Unless I did misread that as that those users can't play online, which is literally what Rocket League is.

Baffling decision from the devs.

Looks like they're shifting refunds on hands of Steam, and they're just denying.
Could be communications issues tho, but we'll see I guess.

Update 2 - 24/01: Psyonix are now telling us "macOS and Linux players can reach out directly to Steam to request refunds and they will be honored. In these cases, Steam will make an exception to their 2 hours limit rule.". Their own support ticket team are now also saying to ask Steam for the refund, although Valve has denied my own refund twice.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017

The game still has random ingame item drops tho. The store replaced the lootbox/crate system which was a lot worse than the current system. The item prices are another thing but gambling isn't in the game anymore at least.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if Apple killing 32 bits has anything to do with this. Or how they don't care about OpenGL.

No idea but it definitely sucks for the people that play on those platforms.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

This is not true random in game drops are still there and trade-able. They replaced the loot box system to just drop random items now that you can then pay money to craft instead of paying money to open a loot box. The store didn't replace anything it's just a new way to buy items.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game still has random ingame item drops tho. The store replaced the lootbox/crate system which was a lot worse than the current system. The item prices are another thing but gambling isn't in the game anymore at least.
Those are only the basic items. Before the changes you had different ways of getting a special item of your choice: buy keys to open chests, buy the item from the Steam Market, have it gifted to you, trade with others. Now your options are: buy credits for $4,99 or $9,99 or $24,99 or $49,99. Also there is no way to earn a single credit without spending real money. Oh, and also of course you aren't able to sell, gift or trade your item later on for anything else.

All that happened was a removal of choices and now you're forced to spend money (exclusively) in the Rocket League store if you want anything.

And the prices are mostly stupid. Is there a single item that didn't become way more expensive? I know that they halfed pretty much all prices after the community outcries, some prices went even down by 70%-80%, but it seems like everything still cost way more now.

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Those are only the basic items. Before the changes you had different ways of getting a special item of your choice: buy keys to open chests, buy the item from the Steam Market, have it gifted to you, trade with others. Now your options are: buy credits for $4,99 or $9,99 or $24,99 or $49,99 ... Oh, and also of course you aren't able to sell, gift or trade your item later on for anything else.

All that happened was a removal of choices and now you're forced to spend money (exclusively) in the Rocket League store if you want anything.

None of this is true.

Blueprints drop after games just like crates used to along with the basic items. You don't have to pay money to see what item the blueprint is like you did with crates so you spend less money getting items you want. Blueprints and items crafted from blueprints are tradeable. Items bought from the new store are the only thing that aren't tradeable, so it's literally just a new option to buy items from psyonix instead of from the community.

Oh, and if you work out the average cost of getting just about any item from the old crates based on probabilities of drops the blueprint and store prices are insanely lower.

You're pretty much just incorrect about all of this.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You're pretty much just incorrect about all of this.
Is there a (good) reason why you keep completely ignoring that you could trade items with friends, that you could gift items, that you could buy items on the marketplace? I mean, if you play on PS4, Xbox or Switch: sure, there was never a Steam Marketplace so nothing was lost. But I think most people here are talking about the PC version.

Your idea of how prices work also shows that you aren't really playing on PC I guess?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a (good) reason why you keep completely ignoring that you could trade items with friends, that you could gift items, that you could buy items on the marketplace? I mean, if you play on PS4, Xbox or Switch: sure, there was never a Steam Marketplace so nothing was lost. But I think most people here are talking about the PC version.
This is all still possible is what I'm saying. You're just misinformed. And trading markets exist on all platforms.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Imagine hating EGS so much you make a hard argument for loot boxes in an open game economy

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
Thank god for Proton, I guess. A mate of mine exclusively uses Linux and it has been a godsend for him.
Proton is double edged sword here. It is also the reason why I expect devs not to bother with Linux native version in the future and reduce the support of it. Why waste resources for 1% of Steam gamers if Valve gave them a workaround.
Beyond scummy. People bought a game that was available on said systems and now it'll be pretty much taken away (since they'll be disabling any online functionality) no reasons given? Wow.

But please make fun of people playing on Mac or Linux instead of focusing on the issue.
That just shows why GaaS model sucks. You never actually buy a game in the first place.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine hating EGS so much you make a hard argument for loot boxes in an open game economy
Could you point out where I made an argument for loot boxes? Also it's kinda ironic that the formerly open game economy got closed off, isn't it?

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Since the Epic buyout, it's been nothing but one piece of bad news after another for Rocket League. Odd.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
It is pretty crazy that they dropped linux and mac support, its not like epic is a small company... They should give them refunds for the game and the mtx they have bought over the years

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Could you point out where I made an argument for loot boxes? Also it's kinda ironic that the formerly open game economy got closed off, isn't it?
The post I quoted.

1. Crates are loot boxes. They're not just loot boxes, they're loot boxes that use endowment effect to compel purchases.
2. Open economies in games are bad. An open economy plus loot boxes is the closest thing to what meets the legal standard for gambling in most territories.

And the irony is that you're still arguing for them like they're good.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I use Linux on my work desktop and I have it on my home laptop (OpenSUSE in both cases). Needless to say I love it and prefer it to Windows. But my gaming PC is Windows, I just accepted that it's the most pain free way to do PC gaming and I can just treat the Windows OS like I do the OS for any console - as long as it lets me game without hassle I can't complain. It is always sad to see support lost on Linux though.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The post I quoted.

1. Crates are loot boxes. They're not just loot boxes, they're loot boxes that use endowment effect to compel purchases.
2. Open economies in games are bad. An open economy plus loot boxes is the closest thing to what meets the legal standard for gambling in most territories.

And the irony is that you're still arguing for them like they're good.
I'm arguing for the Steam Marketplace which allows you to buy, trade or gift items. Ways so people can aquire items without having to spend any money ingame.
I didn't even mention the words "loot", "boxes" or "crates" or anything even remotely related to those things. Thanks for reading / understanding.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Refunds are being offered:

Following some teething problems, Psyonix is now offering a streamlined method for attaining a refund via Steam:

• Go to the Steam Support website
  • Select purchases
  • Select Rocket League (you may need to select "view complete purchasing history" to see it)
  • Select I would like a refund, then I'd like to request a refund
  • From the reason drop-down menu, select my issue isn't listed
  • In notes, write "please refund my Mac/Linux version of Rocket League, Psyonix will be discontinuing support"

"Rocket League is an evolving game, and part of that evolution is keeping our game client up to date with modern features. As part of that evolution, we'll be updating our Windows version from 32-bit to 64-bit later this year, as well as updating to DirectX 11 from DirectX 9.

There are multiple reasons for this change, but the primary one is that there are new types of content and features we'd like to develop, but cannot support on DirectX 9. This means when we fully release DX11 on Windows, we'll no longer support DX9 as it will be incompatible with future content."

Psyonix also said that macOS and Linux users combined account for only 0.3% of Rocket League's active player base. As such, the studio made the decision that these platforms aren't worth supporting.