• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

EO_IAvfVUAAvKDo

As we continue to upgrade Rocket League with new technologies, it is no longer viable for us to maintain support for the macOS and Linux (SteamOS) platforms. As a result, the final patch for the macOS and Linux versions of the game will be in March. This update will disable online functionality (such as in-game purchases) for players on macOS and Linux, but offline features including Local Matches, and splitscreen play will still be accessible.

If you purchased Rocket League for Mac or Linux on Steam, the game will still work with full functionality when installed and played on a computer running Windows 7 or newer.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
In before "Epic Games hates Linux and they also own Rocket League". But seriously, this is a bad look to have the support and then pull it away like this. I understand that Linux and macOS aren't really big gaming platforms but this hurts. Thankfully Linux gamers can still play via Steam's Proton or Wine

Funny, when Psyonix was scooped up by Epic Games, they kept saying "Continued Support". Despite most saying there goes Linux support.

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
Bummer for the people playing on those platforms, but I guess how many people could that be?

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
Not surprising. Small indie companies, without any financial backup, can't mantain so many versions of the game.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well Epic owns it now and EGS isn't on Mac or Linux so...

Edit: Huh, apparently it is on Mac. Whoops.

Last edited:

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Thank god for Proton, I guess. A mate of mine exclusively uses Linux and it has been a godsend for him.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Psyonix mentions the game will still be playable with Proton, so I don't think it'll be much of an issue for Linux players.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can Linux still use proton to play it?

As for Mac. Dozens of mac gamers are mad. Dozens.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Rocket League is still running modded UE3, right? It makes sense they would run into issues with maintain OGL pipelines or whatever they're using. I would be pretty upset about this if I actually play RL though, hopefully Proton gets ported to Mac at some point.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i cant really understand what's happening unless "new technologies" is further defined lol

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This update will disable online functionality (such as in-game purchases) for players on macOS and Linux, but offline features including Local Matches, and splitscreen play will still be accessible.

Is it just me or is it weird they did not say "online multiplayer" but focused on "in-game purchases" when referring to the shutdown of online functionality?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they hinted the game being removed from Steam in the past, so that might have something to do with it.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Beyond scummy. People bought a game that was available on said systems and now it'll be pretty much taken away (since they'll be disabling any online functionality) no reasons given? Wow.

But please make fun of people playing on Mac or Linux instead of focusing on the issue.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
yeh hella wack if it's that
it does make the most sense to me, since I don't think I've heard of a game like switching engines or adding features and ending support for other platforms in the process

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
In before "Epic Games hates Linux and they also own Rocket League". But seriously, this is a bad look to have the support and then pull it away like this. I understand that Linux and macOS aren't really big gaming platforms but this hurts. Thankfully Linux gamers can still play via Steam's Proton or Wine

Funny, when Psyonix was scooped up by Epic Games, they kept saying "Continued Support". Despite most saying there goes Linux support.
Mac dropping support for 32-bit games killed 90% of their already slim Steam library.
One more game won't change the downward trend.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is this a thing that actually happens? I'm legitimately ignorant about what GaaS style games do during a gen-shift lol, only really familiar w/ pc ones like league of legends and dota where they just upgrade

I could see them making a next-gen build of RL. Same game just very pretty.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
new build makes sense to me, but I don't think it would correlate with ending support unless im missin something

unless upgrading the current build in a particular direction is just the most optimal way for them to go about it maybe? I want to say the # of ppl playing on mac/linux is minuscule but I don't have numbers or nothin (would still be a wack move in my book!)

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's not about what they can or can not afford. It's about the EGS not being avaiable on MacOS and Linux. Will only be a matter of time until Rocket League is pulled from Steam.
/sigh. I wish i could say you are wrong but Epic really gives 0 competition to steam so yeah i guess removing rocket league would make sense.
Sadly you might be right.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Unfortunate but expected, due to Epic Games' extremely beneficial stance towards the pc space. Why have options when you can have no options?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Maybe they want to do things with the game that wouldn't be possible on other platforms like special modes. A Rocket League BR or something.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm blaming their new owners for this until stated otherwise. Epic isn't exactly known for being Linux friendly.

Linux and Mac will never be good options for gaming will they?

Linux maybe if Valve and others can make enough progress. MacOS is doomed thanks to hardware not suited for gaming, unfriendly policies, and lack of Vulcan support.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
is this a thing that actually happens? I'm legitimately ignorant about what GaaS style games do during a gen-shift lol, only really familiar w/ pc ones like league of legends and dota where they just upgrade
We've never had this happen. Service games didn't really exist on console before this gen.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Thanks Epic!

I guess this is also when it moves exclusively to Epic Store.

Yes, Windows the well known having for OS level support for Battle Royale games.
Lol Linux isn't great for gaming and neither is Mac. They could want to do things that wouldn't perform well on those platforms in OpenGL.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Countdown till Steam isn't supported starts now. Hopefully those Linux/Mac users who bought Rocket League can now get a refund now that their game is practically not gonna work in the future. Unless I did misread that as that those users can't play online, which is literally what Rocket League is.

Baffling decision from the devs.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
As someone who was a former mac only gamer, yeah, Apple's update that killed 32 bit games pretty much destroyed a bunch of steam games to the point of no return and it makes the platform even more difficult for developers. Online-focused games having to update in such an environment is far too risky considering how few of sales actually come from mac users. It's pretty depressing, to be quite honest. I'm glad I got a PC when I did, but for those few who were mac only owners like me, this must be beyond annoying to deal with, since it seems every week there's a new game that loses mac support or cancels a release on the platform