• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why it took so long for me to realize the brilliance of this game but I've been playing it a ton with my friends split screen and curled up in my bed on the switch. Send help because the hours are disappearing :(

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Also if you have a decent PC and a good monitor the game plays at a totally different and better feel.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I agree with you OP, one of my most played games alongside R6 Siege.
I've dipped into this game one X1X, switch and PC.

X1X being my main followed by PC (got it on sale)
The idea of playing on switch was better left a fantasy since it's pretty unplayable compared to the others.

I rarely ever party up/squad but when I do our teams go on near undefeatable streaks. Almost like an unspoken, unplanned chemistry of a perfect match and rotation.
Then you have those days of nothing but loss back to back no matter what.

I have cheated by getting Champion rewards through Rumble. No shame.

So much fun.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
It was for me, until I got into the Overwatch beta in 2015. Almost 100 hours in RL and 0 hours since that. Now that I deleted my battle.net account, maybe I should get back to it...

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
halo reach has actually been the only thing to take me away from rocket leauge....which i should play a round or 2 now...

Colors

Feb 28, 2019
I had to stop my online subscription to be able to play anything else on my switch #truestory #addiction

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't too big on Rocket League for a bit, just messing around in casuals and whatnot, then I actually tried ranked and started improving. It was then that the game became very addictive in the pursuit of getting better and better in a game that at the core is so simple, but has such a high skill ceiling.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games of this generation. I put over 100 hours into it. A lot of fun with friends.

philz

Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League probably has the deepest gameplay and skill curve of any game ever made. Add to this that the skill curve is decently linear and you have pure gold. True shame that the new monetization scheme is so terrible under Epic...

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
The key to having fun with Rocket League is to turn on ball cam. Stupidly the game defaults to behind car view. (Indicated by the transparent arrow above the car). Turning this off and getting used to the controls (think like your controlling an RC car and it'll make the transition easier). Once it "clicks" the controls are amazing, and the fun just never stops! (Unless you have crappy teammates or your having a bad night). Yet those stretches with a good crew; knocking down opponents, epic saves, assists, and demolitions, and insane goals always bring unmatched entertainment.

Hands down my favorite game for the last 3 years.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
The key to having fun with Rocket League is to turn on ball cam. Stupidly the game defaults to behind car view. (Indicated by the transparent arrow above the car). Turning this off and getting used to the controls (think like your controlling an RC car and it'll make the transition easier). Once it "clicks" the controls are amazing, and the fun just never stops! (Unless you have crappy teammates or your having a bad night). Yet those stretches with a good crew; knocking down opponents, epic saves, assists, and demolitions, and insane goals always bring unmatched entertainment.

Hands down my favorite game for the last 3 years.

I'm not sure what would be the best to have as default tbh. I constantly switch in between the two depending on what's going on.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely top tier but I hit a skill ceiling and sadly couldnt enjoy the true potential. Just like Fortnite.

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely agree that the game is excellent, never had that much fun in a game which mimics/inspired_from real sports.

(Note: I initially misunderstood the topic of the thread as the game was digitally cracked?)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RL is the easiest and most fun multiplayer game to mess with despite not really knowing what you're doing.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Yes. Best MP game ever made imo. I keep going back to it since its release. I was hooked ever since the PS4 Beta and I own it on that and also on the PC and my Xbox when I had it.

I don't think any other game is ever going to touch it when it comes to the quick access to games and turnaround for majority of the matches. That's one of the best things about it. Matches are so short and fluid that you keep coming for more.

One thing I've still wanted them to add is ball skins/ decals.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
It really is.

Y'all should check out the Rocket League Championship Series on twitch starting next Friday. The top-level players in this game are absolutely insane.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It's wild fun.. but the latest update added a 0 to every real money transaction so no more from me for RL.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I play it daily. Most played game of my life.

The community is toxic, tho.a

But so is FIFA and sports games in general. It has some unpredictability in them that makes people go mad sometimes, but it's trully a gem.

Getting good is very rewarding

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Gotg. I put 450 hours in on ps4. Now 200 on PC. I have to uninstall every few weeks so I can play other games lol.

AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
My most played game of all time, so addictive once you pass a certain skill level and get into ranked. Then it also becomes extremely frustrating when you don't have a regular teammate because the community can be super toxic. I don't even know how many hours I have on this game, my least played platform is switch and that still had over 60 hours. Both PC and Xbox eclipse those numbers by multitudes. I've been stuck in platinum for so long though. Had a brief stint in diamond 😭.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You can't trust this man

michael-jordan-tequila-bottle-nyc-spl.jpg

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
Just hit 2k hours in it, not counting the time I spent on PS4. Easily my favorite multiplayer game ever. I hate pvp in most games but I love RL so much that i can get past that.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's the single best sports video game ever made, by a wide margin.

NBA Jam being number two.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 is also one of the best games ever made.

How parties work in Splatoon 2, and how much of a pain in the ass it is to get into a game with your friend, automatically disqualify it from being the best multiplayer game by any metric, even if the gameplay itself is great.

Does RL have bots you can play against until you get comfortable?

There's bots, which you can change the difficulty on, a free play mode where it's just you and the ball, and you can download user made training packs that have specific objectives and challenges.

That said I'd just ignore them and go straight into PvP. If you're worried about being bad then there's a casual mode where stats and ranks aren't tracked.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
i legit regret buying this game and wish I didn't buy it on switch because of the "hype." Single player is barebones and has you play against CPU only. It's one thing if you have friends and your a big soccer fan. I can see the appeal. But for me it got boring fast and I played with bots exclusively. I care less and less about online play, especially 1 on 1 againt people

Jun 2, 2019
I got it on Switch in Black Friday and i agree. Game is addictive and has this "one more round" factor games like Smash, Splatoon or Mario Kart also has. It's pure, unadulterated fun with a high skill ceiling.

I love it

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
i legit regret buying this game and wish I didn't buy it on switch because of the "hype." Single player is barebones and has you play against CPU only. It's one thing if you have friends and your a big soccer fan. I can see the appeal. But for me it got boring fast and I played with bots exclusively. I care less and less about online play, especially 1 on 1 againt people

I don't particularly like football, never watch it and none of my friends play RL and this is my most played game ever with 2100 hours. Just play unranked 3v3 or for a really fun mode try Rumble and give it a little longer. Maybe you'll change your mind.

I bought this game on Switch and found it unplayable at first with the joycons, then I bought a pro controller and it still felt off. Felt like a big disadvantage playing against people on PC with high frame rates and analogue triggers. There weren't enough people playing on Switch back then to turn off cross play either.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
weirdly, the progression in rocket league just feels super slow and tedious to me, even though i generally like the gameplay

i came to rocket league right out of playing splatoon 2, and where it feels like at least in the early game, that game is constantly giving you currency to buy meaningful, gameplay-changing options, rocket league feels like i have to play a dozen games just to unlock a new cosmetic or two. i guess the microtransaction stuff is s big difference, since splatoon doesn't have any incentive to push you toward premium purchases (aside from the octo dlc, which is a bit of a different beast altogether) - plus the time commitment for each match, 5 minutes not counting goal replays and overtime, feels kind of long for me to repeatedly play a ton of matches like i can with the shorter splatoon turf war matches. i know they're totally different genres though, so obviously the comparison can only go so far.

i'm not sure why the loop never really clicked for me with rocket league! maybe i'm doing something wrong? i've enjoyed the time i spent with it, but it felt like i was mostly enjoying the core gameplay in spite of the stuff around it - unlike splatoon, where it feels like the stuff around the main gameplay complements and adds to it.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I look at the PS5 specs, all i'm really thinking is 'will it do Rocket League at 4k 120hz'?

My most played game too, still shit though (mid-gold), merely better than ~50% of people playing :-/

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i came to rocket league right out of playing splatoon 2, and where it feels like at least in the early game, that game is constantly giving you currency to buy meaningful, gameplay-changing options

The fact that Rocket League has no gameplay changing unlocks is a huge selling point for it. The only difference between you and the other team is skill.