• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

On May 1, 2019, Rocket League was bought out by Epic Games. It's been one piece of bad news after another since then. The in-game economy was completely uprooted and replaced with the Fortnite model, support for Linux and MacOS are ending in March 2020, and now they can't even keep the servers up for Pro Rocket League games. A few of my close friends play Rocket League religiously and are blowing up my phone, expressing how pathetic it is that they can't watch RLCS because Epic's server updates were pushed out the day prior to RLCS. When the Epic acquisition happened, the community reaction was extreme disappointment ... and in less than year into the deal Epic continues to justify that disappointment. I wonder what they'll ruin next with Rocket League.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Why exactly do they need to be postponed? I haven't been following RLCS. Has there been some issues with the quality of the streams or shows as of late?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like the new shop model. Much preferred the encrypted etc. At least there was a chance of me getting a really cool item without having to pay £20 to unlock it. The whole thing has been poorly managed. It has been my most played game and the one silver lining of this fuckery is that my backlog has had some attention recently.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing RL since the PS4 beta across PS4, PC and Switch and the game right now is probably in the worst state it's ever been in, as you summarized OP. It's gone downhill fast since the Epic acquisition, and what annoys me most is the lack of communication about the future of RL.

When they announced the acquisition they said Epic's resources would allow them to expand the game but so far anything but happened. It's a shame because at its core the game is still a ton of fun.

Why exactly do they need to be postponed? I haven't been following RLCS. Has there been some issues with the quality of the streams or shows as of late?
Servers are down right now and they probably can't resolve it in time. It's the second time in the last two weeks or so.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't Epic use AWS for their cloud servers? Maybe they should move to Azure...

orange_googoo

Jul 30, 2018
Germany (Bavaria)
Yep wanted to watch it a bit earlier and all there was was a technical diffuclties message. Couldn't conect to the servers at all today and it has been very laggy for a few days for me.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm far from Epic's biggest fan, but I'd say that this particular development doesn't really strike me as Epic's fault. If the servers they are using are external, then there isn't a lot they could do.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's embarassing. 4th downtime in less than 24 hours. They had to cancel a championship event too. The most absurd thing is that on Twitter they're like "everything's cool, couple minutes of maintenance, hang on" when now it's already a few hours it isn't working.

Ever since Epic came on board this game is an increasing shitshow. The microtransactions are worse than ever. Servers became even worse than before. They stopped supporting the Linux version. The QoL changes made the inventory a mess. The passes are too long and feature a lot of items that are too similar. The new content is extremely slow.

In a sense I'm happy this happened, there were tens of thousands of people connected to Twitch to watch this event and they can now see without a sign of doubt that it isn't their connection, it's the servers that can't handle the load. Hopefully some general gaming websites will pick this story up, get some heat on Psyonix to force them to spend on some infrastructure. It's very much needed.

OP
OP
Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
yeah, what's the context behind the cancellation?
I'm far from Epic's biggest fan, but I'd say that this particular development doesn't really strike me as Epic's fault. If the servers they are using are external, then there isn't a lot they could do.

See the post from FairyEmpire for additional context.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't put it pass someone being petty and DDOSing

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Rocket League since I bought Crash Team Racing right before xmas after playing it near religiously for ~2 years, but other than sponsored events, I didn't notice anything negative since epic took over.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

On May 1, 2019, Rocket League was bought out by Epic Games. It's been one piece of bad news after another since then. The in-game economy was completely uprooted and replaced with the Fortnite model, support for Linux and MacOS are ending in March 2020, and now they can't even keep the servers up for Pro Rocket League games. A few of my close friends play Rocket League religiously and are blowing up my phone, expressing how pathetic it is that they can't watch RLCS because Epic's server updates were pushed out the day prior to RLCS. When the Epic acquisition happened, the community reaction was extreme disappointment ... and in less than year into the deal Epic continues to justify that disappointment. I wonder what they'll ruin next with Rocket League.

Damn Ididn't know shit went downhill this bad.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah I was trying to watch the start of the season and also play some today but it doesn't look like that's happening now. Last time I checked the game was still down.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never watched competitive Rocket League. Can someone point me to a good, excitng match to check out?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play rocket league. How did the microtransactions become worse? more randomness?

They took out the lootboxes (which is positive), except they put a fixed price to every single item that is now far more expensive than prior chances would have implied or the trading prices that we had until then. Some lame goal explosion can cost over 20 bucks right now. Madness.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't play rocket league. How did the microtransactions become worse? more randomness?
Previously you could open a few crates (loot boxes) for free each season if you played enough, that alongside crates was completely removed in favor of the blueprint system. The blueprint system gives you a RNG item every once in a while you can then buy for real money. They also added a shop with rotating items similar to Fortnite.

OP
OP
Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
They took out the lootboxes (which is positive), except they put a fixed price to every single item that is now far more expensive than prior chances would have implied or the trading prices that we had until then. Some lame goal explosion can cost over 20 bucks right now. Madness.
Yup, thus ruining the organically sustained economy that every single person could participate in when they wanted to splash a few dollars or put something on sale for a few dollars. They decided to inject Fortnite's model into the game and expected it to work ... instead it failed spectacularly.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
do they run their own servers or use a service?

seems weird to place this all of the feet of epic when, if they are running their own servers internally, it would be more appropriate to blame the devs themselves. epic's servers for their online games seem generally good?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, thus ruining the organically sustained economy that every single person could participate in when they wanted to splash a few dollars or put something on sale for a few dollars. They decided to inject Fortnite's model into the game and expected it to work ... instead it failed spectacularly.
Even tho I got already called a liar for stating that the majority of the PC community dislikes the new ingame store or that the items are untradeable:
I think the new ingame shop might have been met with more acceptance on PC if you could still trade / sell / gift those items like the "old" ones.
Unfortunately all items from the new ingame shop are made non-tradeable and therefore are restriced from accessing the Steam market.

Feels like this is the most common reaction from the PC community to the shop:

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Not only that, but they removed the opportunity to earn a free key after grinding for hours. Single handedly killed my motivation to play the game since I only play casual. Put a bunch of money into the PS4 version too to support the devs but now this is ridiculous.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately all items from the new ingame shop are made non-tradeable and therefore are restriced from accessing the Steam market.

Wait, what? I hadn't bought anything because of how insane some of the prices but I had no idea they weren't even tradable. Why would I ever buy anything from the shop then?

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic is a net negative on the industry over the past couple of years, at least to me. Their PC initiative has been utter shit, Rocket League has turned to shit under them....that Fortnite cash isn't going to keep printing itself. If they can't get something legitimate going soon then I don't know what they're going to do.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? I hadn't bought anything because of how insane some of the prices but I had no idea they weren't even tradable. Why would I ever buy anything from the shop then?
To be fair there's a footnote in the store mentioning that all items bought can not be traded between players (which includes the Steam market) and also their FAQ clearly states that all items bought from the ingame shop or esport shop and / or Credits are not tradeable. This decision becomes even more stupid if you keep in mind that there is not a single way to earn a single Credit without paying real money in this non-f2p-game.

Not my screenshot btw because the store is not available while the servers are still down.
ouMyCPZ.png

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks Epic. Truly improving our PC gaming experience in every way possible....

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Never watched competitive Rocket League. Can someone point me to a good, excitng match to check out?

Features one of the most iconic moments in it's history. I used to play RL a bunch and it has been one of the few games I truly enjoy watching competitive play. I'm just not that much of a shooter or MOBA type.

anyways if you look at the type of mechanics used from early rocket league to present it looks like your not even watching the same game. The insane controls and physics has allowed for mechanical growth that is nuts l with still new playable mechanics being discovered.

OP
OP
Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I never would have thought something/someone would actually make me miss and wish for loot boxes to return

but here we are

Thanks, Epic. Eff you.
Yeah in many topics I've seen some weird responses to lootboxes being replaced with something else being an automatic victory and something that is a positive for the game, completely independent of what replaces it. Lootboxes are not good for gaming, but that doesn't mean that it's also good to be placing $20-40 price tags on singular costumes for your characters, cars, guns, etc. that don't change the gameplay experience at all. In a world where people are on the fence about buying an Indie game for $10-15, we've got folks saying "I'm ok with them selling skins for $30 because at least it's a set price" as if it's not preying on folks with FOMO. Neither situation is good. I just think it's lame to slam the "lootboxes are gone, this is a positive" button.