• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
30 bucks for this with purchasable cosmetic and battlepass ?

VigorousFrightenedGermanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
and that game came with Game Pass lol. Bummer since it was a great looking game with a great soundtrack that didn't match the visuals at all lol
Yup, and also 30$ on Steam. 22 players in-game currently, says a lot...
I don't understand why are so many developers/publishers afraid to go f2p really, it worked great for many games. I am not saying that going f2p will instantly make a game great or better but asking for 30$ and including multiple currencies and Battle Passes in the game just screams greedy.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I mean Crucible IS f2p, and it still didn't help the game. That's why i think that this game not being f2p is a huge, huge mistake, because it will die pretty fast.
As far as i remember, this was supposed to be f2p when it first got announced and when beta was available but i am not sure why EA thinks that making it 30$ is a good choice? Games looks fun/interesting and i want it to be success but we all know that sadly it won't.
It certainly doesn't help but I think this would be DoA even if f2p

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Looks like those that played the beta will get the full game (Mythical Edition) for free. Holy shit thats so good.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
New trailer shows off the various arenas. Curious to see how this fares next week. Doesn't seem like it has buzz outside of sponsored streamer videos and that's not the best sign.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did we get a better explanation of whether this launches on console EA Access or not? I'm seeing conflicting reports. I'm so torn on this: I kinda want to buy it because I've been wanting a good old school-ish arena shooter for a while, and there's a chance the multiplayer population will be gone in a year so either play it now or never. At the same time, buying into a potentially DOA multiplayer game is never good, but EA Access free access for millions of people could help jumping in no risk, and that's something that should help the multiplayer population too hopefully.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly this screams DoA, just like Bleeding Edge that everyone forgot about just 2 weeks after it was released.

Bleeding Edge was such a mediocre experience for myself, thankfully it was through gamepass. On topic, yeah, this won't have a long shelf life... if any. Another genre saturating the market. Someone needs to bring back Arena shooters though.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So did we get a better explanation of whether this launches on console EA Access or not? I'm seeing conflicting reports. I'm so torn on this: I kinda want to buy it because I've been wanting a good old school-ish arena shooter for a while, and there's a chance the multiplayer population will be gone in a year so either play it now or never. At the same time, buying into a potentially DOA multiplayer game is never good, but EA Access free access for millions of people could help jumping in no risk, and that's something that should help the multiplayer population too hopefully.

Yeah I wish EA Access was clearer cut in what was/wasn't going to appear there and when.

However! The game does have cross-platform play (EA has a support page for how to turn it on). The unfortunate thing is that it appears to be OFF by default, which could be potentially damaging if the game starts out with a low player population anyway. But, 3v3 across SIX different modes divided between "casual" and "ranked" - they really would've been better off pooling everything together.

New trailer focusing on the characters you can choose:

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Bleeding Edge was such a mediocre experience for myself, thankfully it was through gamepass. On topic, yeah, this won't have a long shelf life... if any. Another genre saturating the market. Someone needs to bring back Arena shooters though.

Diabotical is having a few more closed beta weekends this month (supposedly) and going open beta shortly after.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Launch trailer

I figure EA will have a bunch of sponsored streams going tomorrow for the game. Looking forward to watching some of that though I'm still on the fence about picking this up myself.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This game is $29.99, and is not alone in being a multiplayer-only title in that price range. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not an unreasonable figure if the game is absolutely stellar, but they are competing with free-to-play games and very established franchises. When I think of new games that have successfully pulled this off... I think of games that picked up an enormous amount of hype before launch.

This is a lot more likely to be a Bleeding Edge than an Overwatch, let's be honest. Though to be fair this looks far better than Bleeding Edge.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Interested, but it's a wait and see for me. I've been burned by too many arena shooters.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, the game looks fun and interesting and I am willing to put down the 30€ for it. But will it have enough players in the long run?

That is the only thing setting me back!

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Posted in the review thread but this was put in their Discord:
bb71feba75ee249d0e9f387c111e22f2.png

Taikeny

Oct 27, 2017
reading rocket arena makes me wish quake 3 rocket arena came back. :/

this game doesn't really click with me yet but i will check it out once it's out.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I am so sad that i haven't played the beta when it was happening on Steam. Seeing that they are giving away 40€ version of the game to beta players. That is very generous.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a game I'd be interested in but honestly getting invested in these types of games just to have them shut down eventually sucks. I'm still reeling from Paragon (even though the remake projects are seemingly coming along well).

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
www.resetera.com

Rocket Arena |OT| Let's Rock!et OT

About the game: Official Trailers: Platforms: PC (Origin/Steam), PS4, XB1 Price: 30$ (Standard), 40$ (Mythic Edition) Official site: https://www.ea.com/games/rocket-arena Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rocket-arena Just a quick, little OT for the members that are...

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely give this a shot. I'm always open to trying a new multiplayer game in the off chance that it'll click with me. I like the art.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I want to clear up 2 things:

1) The Battle Passes are free if you buy the $40 version and play it.

2) The reason the game costs money is because the developer split away from Nexon (an absolutely TERRIBLE f2p publisher, if anyone has played a Nexon game...you know.)

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I want to clear up 2 things:

1) The Battle Passes are free if you buy the $40 version and play it.

2) The reason the game costs money is because the developer split away from Nexon (an absolutely TERRIBLE f2p publisher, if anyone has played a Nexon game...you know.)

Re: Your first point - Battle/Blast Passes are NOT free with the $40 version. They outlined their content plans, and the Blast Pass will be a separate purchase of in-game currency, though you will be able to earn enough currency for the next season's Pass in the current season. The $40 version includes some exclusive skins, trails, and currency which includes 1000 Rocket Fuel, which you can use to purchase the first season's Blast Pass (950 Rocket Fuel). Presumably there will be other things that you could spend that currency on as well if you don't buy the Blast Pass. And I'm assuming that the real-dollar cost of each season's Blast Pass will be $9.50/$10 for whenever they do start selling the currency - which they are definitely going to do.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Your first point - Battle/Blast Passes are NOT free with the $40 version. They outlined their content plans, and the Blast Pass will be a separate purchase of in-game currency, though you will be able to earn enough currency for the next season's Pass in the current season. The $40 version includes some exclusive skins, trails, and currency which includes 1000 Rocket Fuel, which you can use to purchase the first season's Blast Pass (950 Rocket Fuel). Presumably there will be other things that you could spend that currency on as well if you don't buy the Blast Pass. And I'm assuming that the real-dollar cost of each season's Blast Pass will be $9.50/$10 for whenever they do start selling the currency - which they are definitely going to do.

Correct, the $40 version gives you enough fuel to buy the first pass.

Each pass has 1500 fuel in it, so you can buy the next pass.

Effectively it's "free" as long as you play the game.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize this wasn't F2p which is okay with me but I also don't know if I want to invest without knowing the community. I'm waiting for reviews to see how it goes.

Jun 5, 2020
Would have considered purchasing if it weren't online only and had the option for LAN play.

Even Call of Duty gets that right. LAN, offline, splitscreen, bots, private matches, etc.

Last edited:

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Would have considered purchasing if it weren't online only and had the option for LAN play.

Even Call of Duty gets that right. LAN, offline, splitscreen, bots, private matches, etc.

It does have private matches and you can play against bots. But obviously they want you in the online pool.

Lots of "Sponsored by EA" streams and videos hitting today. I wonder if those will land with the audience that EA is trying to target for the game (which I assume are Fortnite-playing teenagers). Sponsored videos are a good way to at least get a game in front of a streamer's audience but it in no way guarantees anything. Even if this game was F2P, it's in a very competitive space, but maybe like PvZ it can carve out a niche for itself within EA's lineup.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Watching some streams this morning and it looks a little more rough than the trailers let on. The UI needs a lot of work too.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Season 1 trailer

Game's been discounted almost everywhere to between $5-10 for physical or digital. Steam version is not on sale yet but I assume that it will be before the start of the season. $10 purchase of the mythic edition basically gets you the season 1 Blast Pass free.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

Season 1 trailer

Game's been discounted almost everywhere to between $5-10 for physical or digital. Steam version is not on sale yet but I assume that it will be before the start of the season. $10 purchase of the mythic edition basically gets you the season 1 Blast Pass free.

EA sold this as a $30+ SKU for two full weeks before informing anyone that it'd 1) get a price cut on at least one storefront and 2) finally get added as part of EA Origin Premier on PC. That's pretty sketch of them.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Season 1 trailer

115 people on the steam version. Not only is that terrible but it will make other people not even bother cause it looks like a dead game. It really should have been free to play and probably will be in a few months. Hopefully by then it's not too late to save it. Such a drastic price drop so soon after launch is really a blow to early adopters.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
EA sold this as a $30+ SKU for two full weeks before informing anyone that it'd 1) get a price cut on at least one storefront and 2) finally get added as part of EA Origin Premier on PC. That's pretty sketch of them.

I agree. It should have been launched into EA Access. Probably should have been F2P. It's a solid, fun, polished title but it's a crowded market and there just isn't enough about this title to differentiate it or...attract players. EA did a BIG push with sponsored streams and videos but it really has not bought them any goodwill, sadly.

Heck, would've been a good move to launch it straight into Game Pass or something. At least it is cross-play, but, not by default.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this cross-progression? Might just hop onto the Xbox version for the weekend to knock off some achievements too while I'm at it.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Game will have a free trial weekend on Steam starting in ~2 minutes. Ends August 3.

It's currently free to try this weekend on Xbox One as well.

It's discounted on PSN, Origin, and via places like Amazon for physical - $5 for standard and $10 for mythical edition.

Gotta hand it to them. They are quickly pivoting and trying to give this game some life. Been having fun in Season 1 matches so far. Put together a crossplay party for the first time last night and it worked well.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game will have a free trial weekend on Steam starting in ~2 minutes. Ends August 3.

It's currently free to try this weekend on Xbox One as well.

It's discounted on PSN, Origin, and via places like Amazon for physical - $5 for standard and $10 for mythical edition.

Gotta hand it to them. They are quickly pivoting and trying to give this game some life. Been having fun in Season 1 matches so far. Put together a crossplay party for the first time last night and it worked well.

Yeah, I really am rooting for them to correct the course with these new prices and free weekends. The game is legit good, they just failed to market it right and give it the correct pricing from the start. It's actually tons of fun

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They need to just bite the bullet and make it F2P like it should have been from the start. No point in tiptoeing around it and making these steep discounts and trials. Only way this game survives with a solid player base is if it goes F2P.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced going F2P will make a long lasting impact. There have been games that are a lot better than this one that fizzled out quickly despite being F2P, their best shot was at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.