• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to name my cat "Coon" cause he looked like a Raccoon. I was 5. My parents didn't let me and wouldn't explain why I couldn't do that. Gizmo got chosen instead.

Years later I learned what was up with the name and cringed at what could have been if I had so-permissive-their-brain-falls-out parents instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Again, without any other corroborating information one way or the other, anyone speaking definitely is making a sizeable leap.
You mean like, maybe, a former coworker from a different station who has experience with his verbal stumbling and has heard from several people that he suffers from some form of speech impediment?

I'm not saying the guy is a saint, I won't vouch for the inside of anyone's head. But his delivery problem was pretty observable for the years I put him on the air, and multiple people who worked with him longer than I did have told me he has either a stutter or some other speech impediment which would explain the regular stumbling over syllables.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, bad luck. Even if you are a virulent racist, you would never say something like that on purpose.

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory false equivalencies, thread derailment, previous severe infractions
Even after more information comes to light that he's uttered the same phrase before. Ya'll defenders of these racist fucks are something else.

What evidence? A tweeted accusation from Kenneth B Morris Jr, descendent of Booker T Washington & Frederick Douglas & founder of FDFI (http://www.fdfi.org/founder-president.html )with no evidence that he even knows this guy? Show some real linkage between these guys to back up that Kenneth B Morris knows this guy personally or has even crossed paths with him and there will be a little more to grasp there.

White people. Innocent until proven guilty but still considered innocent.

LOL his wife has the "sad White lady" face down pat though. Just watching it for 20 seconds I lost about 100 HP, my magic armor began to deplete, and I could feel sympathy start to muster before I snapped out of it and exited the browser.

Not sure how these sort of things pass without even an admin warning on here --- generalities against any ethnicity should be discouraged. Letting these go unchecked just deepens the divide and reinforces stereotyping & judgmental thoughts.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how these sort of things pass without even an admin warning on here --- generalities against any ethnicity should be discouraged. Letting these go unchecked just deepens the divide and reinforces stereotyping & judgmental thoughts.
I just saw a guy use a slur on air, play victim, and then use his wife as a prop and commented accordingly. If my post made you more racist then that's on you.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What evidence? A tweeted accusation from Kenneth B Morris Jr, descendent of Booker T Washington & Frederick Douglas & founder of FDFI (http://www.fdfi.org/founder-president.html )with no evidence that he even knows this guy? Show some real linkage between these guys to back up that Kenneth B Morris knows this guy personally or has even crossed paths with him and there will be a little more to grasp there.

I dunno, saying this as a white dude, maybe white people have and continue to get the benefit of the doubt in most other circumstances? I don't necessarily agree with their posts but I don't let it ruin my day.

Captain Goodnight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw a guy use a slur on air, play victim, and then use his wife as a prop and commented accordingly. If my post made you more racist then that's on you.

As others have said, no one will definitively be able to prove that this was an actual deliberate on-air slur or just a flubbing/blending of king and junior, cutting the flub off mid-flub.

I'd love to know where posters on here can get away with quipping about 'sad WHITE lady face' (please, tell me what that is and how it's possible to be limited to that ethnicity) and that 'white people are typically innocent until proven guilty but still considered innocent'. No flubs there in commentary like that ---- just blatantly hypocritical stereotyping.

I dunno, saying this as a white dude, maybe white people have and continue to get the benefit of the doubt in most other circumstances? I don't necessarily agree with their posts but I don't let it ruin my day.

Not ruining my day either. Just making an observation, since I see this sort of harmful dialogue get a free pass on this forum all the time and while not ruining my day, it does bother me that it goes almost completely unchecked.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, no one will definitively be able to prove that this was an actual deliberate on-air slur or just a flubbing/blending of king and junior, cutting the flub off mid-flub.

I'd love to know where posters on here can get away with quipping about 'sad WHITE lady face' (please, tell me what that is and how it's possible to be limited to that ethnicity) and that 'white people are typically innocent until proven guilty but still considered innocent'. No flubs there in commentary like that ---- just blatantly hypocritical stereotyping.
It's social commentary. Whites will always get the benefit of the doubt no matter what. That 4 minute clip of her silent anguish will infinitely fuel more sympathy from the general public than any anguished woman of color mourning her murdered child for example. There's no malice behind either post. You don't have to concern troll about division because if you were bout it to begin with on race relations, those posts wouldn't have affected you.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
It's social commentary. Whites will always get the benefit of the doubt no matter what. That 4 minute clip of her silent anguish will infinitely fuel more sympathy from the general public than any anguished woman of color mourning her murdered child for example. There's no malice behind either post.
Agreed - it's calling out the benefactors of a racist power structure and has nothing to do with stereotyping.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so do you think something like "White people tend to get treated better in the criminal justice system." is stereotyping? Also, "hypocritical stereotyping" explain how a statement about the favorable treatment white people receive is hypocritical. What type of stereotypes do you want to use but think you can't?

Captain Goodnight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's social commentary. Whites will always get the benefit of the doubt no matter what. That 4 minute clip of her silent anguish will infinitely fuel more sympathy from the general public than any anguished woman of color mourning her murdered child for example. There's no malice behind either post. You don't have to concern troll about division because if you were bout it, those posts wouldn't have affected you.

I'd hope there's no malice behind either post, but how do you stand behind the bolded part above as fact vs a stereotyping opinion? This sort of generalizing shouldn't be tolerated without even warnings just because it's the way that you view the world, in the same way that we don't let white supremacists spout their generalities on here just because it's the way that they view the world. Stereotyping is wrong --- period.

ChestRockwell

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of phonetics/linguistics knows that this sort of error is not uncommon.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"It slipped out because he's a racist" would only work if "MLC" was a name he's known for, or if it works grammatically (albeit racist/bigoted). The latter is obviously nonsense, but I've never heard MLK called MLC...?

This simply does not sound like something even a racist would say, which leads me to think he combined "king" and "junior" too quickly.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I can absolutely believe someone could slip and jumble words like that. But that sure was a bad apology and certainly didn't do him any favors.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The difference between white supremacist rhetoric and what's going on here is that supremacist rhetoric is frequently baseless, offering no greater understanding of the world other than to invoke fear among its adherents.

Systemic prejudice, on the other hand, is a large, well-established field and thinking these are also "just stereotypes" tells me you have no idea what you're talking about, assuming you're even being genuine.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"It slipped out because he's a racist" would only work if "MLC" was a name he's known for, or if it works grammatically (albeit racist/bigoted). The latter is obviously nonsense, but I've never heard MLK called MLC...?

This simply does not sound like something even a racist would say, which leads me to think he combined "king" and "junior" too quickly.

But it's something he was commonly called, tho.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Have you never really heard about it because it is very much a real thing.

Come on this is well established shit.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could be accidental because of the junior. I think if he doesn't have a history of racist attitude then I say give him a pass.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You really should read the entire thread.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's exactly why I put the question mark in. No I hadn't heard that. Obviously.
It slipped out because he's a racist" would only work if "MLC" was a name he's known for, or if it works grammatically (albeit racist/bigoted).
Racists often refer to him in such a way, yet you wrote that he wasn't known as "Martin Luther Coon" which is a pretty clear statement, not a question.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Racists often refer to him in such a way, yet you wrote that he wasn't known as "Martin Luther Coon" which is a pretty clear statement, not a question.

So you cut out this from my quote, why?: "The latter is obviously nonsense, but I've never heard MLK called MLC...?"

What the fuck is wrong with this place? You make it pretty clear you're open to being corrected, and yet there's a queue of people ready to jump down your throat to try and make you feel like an idiot for not knowing something.

Thank you to the people who had the courtesy to respond without snark and point me in the direction of appropriate reading.

Captain Goodnight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference between white supremacist rhetoric and what's going on here is that supremacist rhetoric is frequently baseless, offering no greater understanding of the world other than to invoke fear among its adherents.

Systemic prejudice, on the other hand, is a large, well-established field and thinking these are also "just stereotypes" tells me you have no idea what you're talking about, assuming you're even being genuine.

1. "LOL his wife has the "sad White lady" face down pat though"

2. "Whites will always get the benefit of the doubt no matter what. That 4 minute clip of her silent anguish will infinitely fuel more sympathy from the general public than any anguished woman of color mourning her murdered child for example. "

If there are studies that show that statement #2 above is true, that sad Caucasian women generally elicit far more sympathy than members of other ethnicities, then statement #2 is a fact and is not a harmful stereotypical statement. It would be interesting to see studies on that. If studies with such clear results don't exist, then its just an misguided stereotypical opinion that shouldn't be tolerated on here.

However, statement #1 above, on its own, is not constructive and would be at the very minimum warning-worthy if another ethnicity was substituted for 'white'"

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
So you cut out this from my quote, why?: "The latter is obviously nonsense, but I've never heard MLK called MLC...?"

What the fuck is wrong with this place? You make it pretty clear you're open to being corrected, and yet there's a queue of people ready to jump down your throat to try and make you feel like an idiot for not knowing something.

Thank you to the people who had the courtesy to respond without snark and point me in the direction of appropriate reading.
"Open to being correct" bullshit. You came into a thread that you didn't even bother to read to fling more nonsense around. Throwing a question mark on the end of this nonsense: "The latter is obviously nonsense, but I've never heard MLK called MLC..." doesn't make it a question. That also a statement that you have never heard him called that.
Maybe people would be nicer if folks like yourself would put forth a modicum of effort into reading a thread before posting.
But the truth of the matter is, you couldn't wait handwave this as nothing so you didn't bother to read thread or find out if it was a thing.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

2. "Whites will always get the benefit of the doubt no matter what. That 4 minute clip of her silent anguish will infinitely fuel more sympathy from the general public than any anguished woman of color mourning her murdered child for example. "

If there are studies that show that statement #2 above is true, that sad Caucasian women generally elicit far more sympathy than members of other ethnicities, then statement #2 is a fact and is not a harmful stereotypical statement. It would be interesting to see studies on that. If studies with such clear results don't exist, then its just an misguided stereotypical opinion that shouldn't be tolerated on here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...licit-bias-within-the-criminal-justice-system
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ899418.pdf
https://www.cogdell-law.com/blog/2016/january/study-finds-criminal-courts-more-lenient-on-wome/
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...gsters-make-mistakes-police-justice-committee
https://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=scjpeerpubs

This is with 10 minutes of searching. There's no way I can give you the totality of scholarship on race and gender bias in criminal proceedings.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now

However, statement #1 above, on its own, is not constructive and would be at the very minimum warning-worthy if another ethnicity was substituted for 'white'"

Considering culturally, white and lighter skin is seen as more desirable, I can use that as a basis to say this.
But keep telling other's that "we are the real racist!"

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Open to being correct" bullshit. You came into a thread that you didn't even bother to read to fling more nonsense around. Throwing a question mark on the end of this nonsense: "The latter is obviously nonsense, but I've never heard MLK called MLC..." doesn't make it a question. That also a statement that you have never heard him called that.
Maybe people would be nicer if folks like yourself would put forth a modicum of effort into reading a thread before posting.
But the truth of the matter is, you couldn't wait handwave this as nothing so you didn't bother to read thread or find out if it was a thing.

If this is what you believe then fine. You are absolutely incorrect in your interpretation and being argumentative for the sake of it. Enjoy your win or whatever.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Remember that time Maximillian Dude was combining words and kinda screwed up when he combined 'ninja' and 'ginger'? This seems like one of those rather than a Pewdiepie moment.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this is what you believe then fine. You are absolutely incorrect in your interpretation and being argumentative for the sake of it. Enjoy your win or whatever.

It's how I took your comment, too. Didn't read like a question to me. Sounded like you were saying MLC wasn't a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Do I need a mod highlight or something to get people to notice "hey, former coworker here, Kappell has a well-known problem with verbal stumbling and apparently has some form of speech impediment"?

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing to win here and it is absolutely not an incorrect interpretation. You didn't bother to read the thread, if you did would you have still made the post you made?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

You havent heard MLK called MLC because you don't hang out with racists.

Spend enough time around the "white working class" and you will hear this one along with a number of other "clever" racial slurs.

Its virtually ALWAYS the same people making these "innocent" mistakes, never a minority. Why do you think that is?