• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roche?

• Yes

Votes: 224 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 395 43.0%
  • More!

Votes: 300 32.6%

• Total voters

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sucker for the "blood knight looking for a good fight" archetype so yeah I loved Roche. Really hope he gets more screen time in the next part.

Also I think he might be into Cloud so good for him.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roche's name is convenient.

He's basically a road rock they placed there, in the story as filler, never to be seen again. We basically know nothing about him except his name and rank, same as before the game came out lol.

Hope he's expanded upon a bit more in the next game though.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Wish there was more of him. For some reason I thought he was gonna be the character you fight multiple times like Jeanne or Vergil etc.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I expected to hate Roche going by the pre release material, but he ended up being a pretty satisfying bit of dumb fun. If anything, it's a little disappointing that he only shows up just the one time.

I like the idea that he'll show up in subsequent parts more and more fucked up off Mako until you have to eventually mercy kill his ass.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
As a first-time FF7 player, my only disappointment is he just disappears. He was one of the few characters that seemed to be having fun and I figured he was like a warning about what happens to SOLDIERS after being exposed to too much Mako and war.

I felt like I understood him. Meanwhile, I was just scratching my head at Sephiroth.
MAKO is just a gateway to
wanting to fuck a bike

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
He's one of the better addition to the game I thought lol. I enjoyed the whole sequence. As others have said, far better than the Leslie adventure indeed :P

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh he's a new character? I never played the original. I loved everything about that segment. Alot of FF7 Remake reminded me of Yakuza. I actually hope Yakuza steals FF7 Remake combat system if they still want to keep going the RPG route.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
He should've been Majima to Cloud's Kyriu. I have no clue how they could possibly introduce that character in that way and then have him not show up again.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
He was some added out of nowhere wtf freshness filler that I felt like worked really well. I would have liked it if he showed up more often for less time. An odd, threateningly capable, obsessed, batshit, charismatic, wildcard Soldier pushing Cloud to his limits is exactly the kind of distraction I welcome. I'm interested to see in what capacity he returns.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Don't particularly like his character but the bike sequence was fun. He feels like the biggest misstep in the game in that he either shouldn't be there at all or we should see him return later as well. Being there just for one chapter felt strange.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Oh he's a new character? I never played the original. I loved everything about that segment. Alot of FF7 Remake reminded me of Yakuza. I actually hope Yakuza steals FF7 Remake combat system if they still want to keep going the RPG route.
Literally nothing in that chapter happened in the original game, but it was a nice addition since you were gonna go a long time without seeing Wedge, Jessie or Biggs. Nice side adventure with them that just got crazier than expected.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Don't particularly like his character but the bike sequence was fun. He feels like the biggest misstep in the game in that he either shouldn't be there at all or we should see him return later as well. Being there just for one chapter felt strange.

Yes. I mean, with all the boring nothing filler sidequests that game has, one quest chain about Roche would be a great improvement.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Roche is not that good, but is far from being the worst new content in the game, which speaks volumes of how boring and bloated it is overall.

His bossfight and bike fight were fun though.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I liked him. I think it is great having more Solider characters. That always a bit of a gap in the original. I do wish he showed up somewhere else later in the game as well though, it feels a little strange him just being in that one sequence, but I'm sure he'll be in the sequels.

A solid addition.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Meh character, but the whole sequence around him and the subsequent boss fight were amazing.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
I hated Roche but like the way his character was handled. He's just kind of there. He has a flamboyant personality but no backstory to speak of. These types of characters should be more appreciated for making a world feel more alive. As long as he's forgotten and doesn't get genesis'd in to the main story, I don't have a problem with him.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the good filler in Remake

Leslie's boring sewer adventures is bad filler, give me 5 more Roches over that guy and I'd like Remake a lot better

The thing that makes Leslie so shoehorned is he's an established character in other FFVII media. You wouldn't know that by how they hamfisted him in to this.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
He's an absolute idiot, but some of the stuff he did made me laugh. Probably more so in a "this is completely stupid, what are they doing" sort of way, but still. I have no attachment the character but I was surprised he didn't show up again, especially during the bike sequence at the end of the game. Despite not really caring about him I hope he pops up in future instalments, which I assume he will, otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste.

Best bits about him were definitely the one-on-one fight with him, and the battle music during said fight. Very good.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
The game was a 10/10 for me and then Roche turns up. Just a complete trash tier character.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He definitely had Andy vibes, I loved it.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the 1 on 1 fight, was hoping he would come back for the final bike chase when escaping midgar. Bummed when he didn't and instead we got offbrand kingdom hearts

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I voted more - not because I want more of this particular character, but the fact that named high ranking SOLDIERs exist is a nice bit of world building. Even if some of them are straight up insane or annoying, it's nice to know a rival will exist who will likely come in handy later.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Mixed feelings— his boss fight was great and I overall loved chapter 4. His design and personality I'm not sure about, I don't hate 'em but I don't love 'em either. At least he mostly fits in with the more radical designs of the classic characters, unlike all the regular NPCs. Didn't like the over-the-top action stuff though, but that's every action scene in the game for ya.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Roche was great, hype to see him in the next game.

Got some bad news for you, they plan to give love to all of the connected FF7 games + AC in future games as well.
The devs of this gane intended for the remake to be part of the FFVII Compilation. So the whole expanded universe of FFVII is fair game now.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
He's a loser, I can see another Soldier being revealed in the next game. Probably also a loser.

maybe this new one will annoy Zack.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
He was pointless, and I didn't like him. He just shows up, is all "YEAH CRAZY BIKES I'M A SOLDIER WHOO" then never shows up again.
Chapter 4 is really fun, but absolutely not because of him. Examining Wedge's ass is better than Roche.