• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
THIS PIECE OF SHIT

5ce2b9d92400006f077f1372.jpeg

Look at the motherfucker. After all the English had done, how could you betray your bro like that??

Sorry I just needed to vent.

From what I gather the real Robert the Bruce never switched sides during the battles, but the movie makes me so angry.

Edit: scene in question

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Robert the Bruce is a national hero of Scotland.

And Braveheart is full of historical inaccuracies.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Outlaw King >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Braveheart

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
He had a dumb name anyway. I couldn't stop thinking about "the Bruce" as in the first name Bruce and I couldn't take his character seriously after that.

"Hey there, I'm Kevin the Steve."

grand

Oct 25, 2017
He had a dumb name anyway. I couldn't stop thinking about "the Bruce" as in the first name Bruce and I couldn't take his character seriously after that.

Bruce/Brus is his family name. It's basically "Robert from the House of Bruce"

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
The betrayal hit me hard as a kid, I was really rooting for WW to win the day. A while later in life I researched much of the history of England/Scotland, it is really fascinating!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't watch Young Lovecraft starring an edgy teenage Lovecraft and his witty sidekick cat on CN back in the day?
Oh, yeah! I remember the controversy around the cat!

It was staunchly Libertarian, which furrowed some brows for being period inauthentic.
I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not since there apparently is something called Young Lovecraft with a talking cat/dog

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not since there apparently is something called Young Lovecraft with a talking cat/dog

Sorry if I got you excited for this, but I was just joking. Hopefully there's an alternate reality out there where we all watched Young Lovecraft and it was great and hopefully not racist.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I'll admit, when I watched Braveheart for the first time and the betrayal happened, I cried. Something about a man's love and devotion for his country to be stabbed in the back like that feelsbadman.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'll admit, when I watched Braveheart for the first time and the betrayal happened, I cried. Something about a man's love and devotion for his country to be stabbed in the back like that feelsbadman.

The way Wallace looks at him when he realizes it's Robert, is what gives it impact. He believed in Robert the Bruce, and his utterly confused and defeated eyes at seeing his betrayal burn a hole through him, and you can see it on Robert's face too. It's really good acting by both of them.

Braveheart is a really dumb movie in a lot of ways, but I love it.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't they make a sequel recently with the same actor playing Robert?

What?!

Anyway, I think I watched Braveheart more than any other movie, like 30-40 times I guess. I was fucking obsessed with it back in my teenage years. And yes, that betrayal was too much for my innocent soul back then, why would you do that man.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
The way Wallace looks at him when he realizes it's Robert, is what gives it impact. He believed in Robert the Bruce, and his utterly confused and defeated eyes at seeing his betrayal burn a hole through him, and you can see it on Robert's face too. It's really good acting by both of them.

Braveheart is a really dumb movie in a lot of ways, but I love it.

Yes, that was it!!!! I couldn't have said it any better! It's been so long since I last watched it (I've only seen it once...) but the feelings experienced were very memorable.

What?!

Anyway, I think I watched Braveheart more than any other movie, like 30-40 times I guess. I was fucking obsessed with it back in my teenage years. And yes, that betrayal was too much for my innocent soul back then, why would you do that man.

I don't think it's an actual sequel but it's called Robert the Bruce

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
so yeah, he's a known piece of shit at this point but...

that's some absolutely brilliant acting from gibson there, those eyes man

this is probably his best role

Feb 24, 2018
Robert the Bruce is a national hero of Scotland.

And Braveheart is full of historical inaccuracies.
Like having the Battle of Sterling Bridge... Without the Bridge.

Hell in reality Braveheart was ROBERT'S nickname not Williams (aka Big Harry), legend says after Robert the Bruce's death, his heart was taken out and taken to war. And yeah, Robert is more the national hero in Scotland then William is and he never betrayed William Wallace because he was never on his side due to the fact they wanted different kings on the throne, but it's also true Robert's goals weren't fully altruistic either in real life.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I acknowledge how inaccurate it is but man do i love this film. The melodramatic score from Horner is one of the goat osts as well. Really pulls at you during pivotal scenes

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned Braveheart to some Scottish friends once...it didn't end well.

Speaking of betrayals, Commodus on Maximus is more affecting for me.

c7ee6f8c0e74fde2c9d46db91b870085.jpg

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

It's not really like Steve though. Bruce Willis, Bruce Lee, Bruce Campbell, all real men are called Bruce, so being the Bruce is like the epitome of manliness. Let's be honest.

(My name is not Bruce)

Although admittedly Flower of Scotland doesn't sound very manly. Great song though.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It was kind of weird how they made him second fiddle. But Gibson was crafting a movie squarely around Wallace, so I guess that's that.

My mom is Irish, and she seems to revere Robert because he fought the English and all. But I admit I never knew much about his story beyond what anyone could read in an encyclopedia.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
As a Scot, Braveheart is an absolute abomination of a movie. Right from Mel Gibson's accent to how they portray Robert the Bruce. Watched it once and never went back.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Not bad as a piece of entertainment, but as usual with Hollywood, fact takes a massive backseat to fiction to better serve the fantasy they wanted to tell. As frustrating as that is.

That was a Gaelic manner of referring to the head of a house. An Irish analogue would be Grainne Mhaol, or Grace O'Malley's father, Eoghan Dubhdara O'Máille. As head of the noble house, he was known as An O'Máille, or The O'Malley.

As late as the last century there was at least one person claiming this title for themselves in one of the Irish rebels in the 1916 Easter Rising - The O'Rahilly.

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Didn't they make a sequel recently with the same actor playing Robert?

Robert the Bruce (2019)
It's not really a sequel though; the only connection is Angus Macfayden as Robert himself; they could have cast anybody else to completely break from connections to Braveheart, but AM did co-write it. All I can gather online is that people prefer Outlaw King (and if you're a Jared Harris fan, he's here as John Comyn)

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
One of the best movies of this genere. So good.

Also Sophie Marceau did things to young me that I couldn't fully grasp.

I mentioned Braveheart to some Scottish friends once...it didn't end well.

Speaking of betrayals, Commodus on Maximus is more affecting for me.

c7ee6f8c0e74fde2c9d46db91b870085.jpg

This and Braveheart is the holy duo.

Also please tell what happened with your friends haha.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017

Well here's a bit of trivia you might enjoy. Jesus's last name is not Christ. He is actually known as Jesus the Christ, or in Hebrew Yeshua Ha-mashiac. The "H" in Jesus H. Christ actually comes from Hebrew prefix "ha" which means "the".