• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
These are all cameos and one-off episodes. Picard is the protagonist of this new series.
That's a little bit of goal post shifting. Your original comment was about Star Trek suddenly doing nostalgia pulls like it was a new thing, when the reality is Star Trek has always been doing that.

Also, two of the main cast from Deep Space Nine are former Next Generation characters (O'Brian and Worf) and Deep Space Nine was supposed to have three former TNG alumni in its main cast but they couldn't get Ensign Ro's actress to commit to a new series.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
There is a big difference between cameos and one-off episodes and the series lead like Picard. The closest example would be DS9 which brought in an unimportant character from TNG as part of the main cast ( Miles O 'Brien) and Worf after three seasons. Picard is the lead and Spock was a main character in season 2 of Discovery. It's one thing to establish continuity at a show's start or bring in legacy characters after a series has found its footing and its own voice and quite another to immediately jump into the nostalgia well.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Deep Space Nine invented a bullshit transporter scenario so they could have their own Riker show up on the show and not step on TNG's toes at all. C'mon, Trek has been doing this kind of shit for a long time now.

The most famous movie in the franchise is literally them bringing back an old TOS era villain.

star-trek-ii-wrath-of-khan_668_330_80_int_s_c1.jpg

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Deep Space Nine invented a bullshit transporter scenario so they could have their own Riker show up on the show and not step on TNG's toes at all. C'mon, Trek has been doing this kind of shit for a long time now.

The most famous movie in the franchise is literally them bringing back an old TOS era villain.

star-trek-ii-wrath-of-khan_668_330_80_int_s_c1.jpg

I believe Thomas Riker first appeared in TNG?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people currently in charge of Star Trek seem obsessed with the past and bringing back familiar faces. I want to move forward, as all Star Trek series have done before. Star Trek isn't Star Wars, the franchise successfully managed to introduce entirely new casts and timelines before without banking on nostalgia.
Star Trek has loved nostalgia. Look at Enterprise season 4. It's a one big nostalgia fest after another arc to arc.
MV5BMzJlYTVmYmItMzliZS00NGNmLWExNWYtYmYwMGQwZmQyNjFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDk0ODI3OA@@._V1_.jpg

Mirror_Enterprise.jpg

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek has loved nostalgia. Look at Enterprise season 4. It's a one big nostalgia fest after another arc to arc.
MV5BMzJlYTVmYmItMzliZS00NGNmLWExNWYtYmYwMGQwZmQyNjFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDk0ODI3OA@@._V1_.jpg
Hell, I'd argue that part of what makes season 4 of Enterprise great is that it dips into the nostalgia pool a bit and fully embraces its Trek heritage. They bust out a random ass Mirror Universe two-parter just to show off the Constitution Class again

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
For Disco, Michael is Spock's sister. That's its big connection to the rest of Trek.

They all tie together, being part of one big canon is what Trek is about.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. For me there is a difference between the cases you mentioned and making legacy characters your main attraction.
The starship of the series is arguably just as big of a character as the main characters themselves.

Star Trek just conveniently has three different series where the main starship happens to be named "Enterprise"

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The starship of the series is arguably just as big of a character as the main characters themselves.

Star Trek just conveniently has three different series where the main starship happens to be named "Enterprise"

You don't think it's a bit of a stretch to consider the ship of equal significance to the actual characters?

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think it's a bit of a stretch to consider the ship of equal significance to the actual characters?
It's literally the first thing you see in the intro before the actors, their names, or even the title of the show is displayed on screen

Not to mention you're dodging my original point that bringing back the name Enterprise for new starships is a nostalgia pull in its own right.

Hell, Next Generations entire intro sequence is a nostalgia pull since it's literally the same intro as TOS

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait what? More info pls.

During the documentary the story writers all got together for a day and broke a hypothetical season 8 premiere, which was then storyboarded for the documentary and peppered throughout it.

During the opening scene, Nog shows up at DS9 in command of his own Star ship. He's about to warn them about something when his ship explodes, killing him.

During the last scene it's revealed that Bashir is part of Section 31.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's literally the first thing you see in the intro before the actors, their names, or even the title of the show is displayed on screen

Not to mention you're dodging my original point that bringing back the name Enterprise for new starships is a nostalgia pull in its own right.

Hell, Next Generations entire intro sequence is a nostalgia pull since it's literally the same intro as TOS

It is not my intention to dodge anything, the fact is that we disagree completely on this. You've explained your position, I've explained mine, there's not much else to go on. I can't convince you that the examples you provided are of a different nature, you can't convince me that they are similar, so we'll have to wait and see how these elements will be implemented in the actual show and continue our discussion then.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
They need to bring him back to explain himself and why he still hasn't figured out how to get that last bit of borg tech around Seven's eye removed.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
They need to bring him back to explain himself and why he still hasn't figured out how to get that last bit of borg tech around Seven's eye removed.
IIRC it's directly integrated into her brain or something and can't be removed. Unlike Picard, Seven was in the collective too long and was way more assimilated.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think this would go beyond season 1, so that's my takeaway.

Not the biggest fan of this becoming a VOY reunion, though. Is Harry Kim up next??
What are the odds that Kim would still be an ensign?

Not like they did a movie where the entire point was to find a way to bring back Kirk into the TNG era.

7cf4bb40a46294bf735399b8445b3ce5.jpg

Man, Picard actually looks great in those early DS9/Voyager era uniforms. Wish they would have stuck with those.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways getting back to the main topic for a second. Assuming Picardo is back in a non-cameo way, you'd have to assume that he's only connected by way of Seven being in the series as well. There's no other logical bridge for him to interact with Picard at all.

This is assuming Picardo would be playing the same EMH, after all. He was in First Contact as a different EMH (which was a great cameo).