• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Bruce?

• Adam West

Votes: 68 9.6%
  • Michael Keaton

Votes: 174 24.6%
  • Kevin Conroy

Votes: 158 22.4%
  • Val Kilmer

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • George Clooney

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Christian Bale

Votes: 207 29.3%
  • Ben Affleck

Votes: 57 8.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
I'm not really looking forward to this movie. It's like they doubled down on the depressing and brooding.

Part of me wants the realistic side but another part wanted a more MCU version of Batman if that makes sense. Like Spider-Man NWH was marketed as the darkest spider-man movie... Sure it was dark but its not going to be 1% dark as The BATMAN. I find lighter films more fun to watch.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The most exciting case this movie hopefully makes is that Bruce's motivation as Batman is fundamentally selfish, and misguided in believing that the Waynes were above the corruption of Gotham. And that if he actually wants to save Gotham, it's Bruce Wayne that has to do it - not his nighttime aggro sessions.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What was weird about the performance/character writing to you?

409b51eb414feea6-600x338.jpg

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
How can we be darker and more realistic than Nolan?
How about we treat it 100% serious and portray him like a sad, depressing , weirdo loser. Zero suspension of disbelief for the sake of entertainment!! People will love it!

It legitimately sounds awful. Like the trailers have me so hyped and then I hear things like this and they just make me tired.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
So what he's saying is this will be a bigger incel call to arms than Joker

I'm joking

LauraLaMer

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
If Warner had guts, they would edit the next trailer with a somber, "epic" cover of Radiohead's Creep.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Sounds good

I do like when he randomly turns on a super charming Bruce persona only for it to completely fade as soon as he's alone tho

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk man him walking into gunfire and beating the shit out of goons and then cars and fire and shit, doesn't really give a sad depressed Bruce vibe.

What about everything else outside of the snippets of fight scenes. Pattinson's Bruce looks like a wreck every time we see him. He's not making quips, he looks like Hell as Bruce and nothing about the vibes seemed to imply what otherwise.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Genuinely looking forward to this movie but I'm also tentatively hoping that this story will tell the tale of a Batman who ultimately grows from a young, traumatized vengeance-seeker into a person who who just genuinely wants to use their resources and privilege to help others to avoid their trauma.

I'm ready for an adventurous, optimistic depiction of Batman again instead of the same old, first year university student stuff of; "oh shit, he's just as crazy as the bad-guy he's fighting!"

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this will be an interesting take. Batman is like *the* american male power fantasy (aside from james bond) so a proper deconstruction of it could be worthwhile and build into some great moments

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I actually really love Keaton's Batman because of how broken he is. Like his "date" with Vicki Vale is all kinds of messed up - like he's trying to imitate social skills instead of acting like a typical person. He's incredibly out of touch and is barely in reality.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Bruce has always been a weirdo. I mean he's basically a billionaire fascist who beats the shit out of people with mental illnesses.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
What about everything else outside of the snippets of fight scenes. Pattinson's Bruce looks like a wreck every time we see him. He's not making quips, he looks like Hell as Bruce and nothing about the vibes seemed to imply what otherwise.

Not to mention we already did a trailer with a Something in the Way cover, they don't need to do Creep, they're not hiding their cards

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
He is weird. He does weird shit. He generally is in a Sisyphusian struggle with Gotham's darkness and often contributes to the problem because he both attracts an ever-increasing level of villains who try to top him (and each other) and never manages to address any problem with permanency. He could probably go farther by feeding people and running social outreach program, but instead he spends it on gadgets, a one-man intelligence agency that rivals the capabilities of most nation states, and an alternate mogul lifestyle.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Conroy is the best Batman, but I'm not counting him because his one live action turn was meh and it's not a fair competition if we're talking his voice work. He did the job for decades.

Kilmer's the best live action Batman because he's legit the only one who seemed to get Bruce.

He could probably go farther by feeding people and running social outreach program
He does. Out of pocket. He also tends to employ the thugs and henchmen he fights who actually try to get their lives together.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I actually really love Keaton's Batman because of how broken he is. Like his "date" with Vicki Vale is all kinds of messed up - like he's trying to imitate social skills instead of acting like a typical person. He's incredibly out of touch and is barely in reality.
See, in contrast, this kind of stuff is why Keaton's Batman never sat right with me, even when I was a kid...I mean, yeah, he's Batman, but he's spent by far the majority of his life being public figure billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne. I never understood why he would be as outrageously socially awkward as he is depicted in that movie.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
What was weird about the performance/character writing to you?

It started with Tim Burton himself on how he saw Bruce in that movie (from a Hollywood Reporter interview with Keaton)
"I had met lots of the square-jaw type of actors, but it's like, well, why does somebody need to dress up like a bat? They don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, they're not a big action hero. They're somebody who's intelligent and kind of screwed up. And Michael has such an intensity that it's like, 'Yeah, I could see that guy wanting to dress up as a bat.' It's all rooted in psychology, Jekyll and Hyde and two sides of a personality, light and dark, and he understood that."

I think you can see that everywhere in the film, not only about his neurotic, socially uncomfortable Bruce, but also the fact that he lives in a huge mansion by himself, with cameras set up everywhere to spy on people. Remember when Bruce walks into Vale's apartment and says, "Nice place, lots of space." He doesn't want closeness with others. And The Joker actually says something similar, which I always thought was drawing a parallel between the two characters. They are both screwed up people, and both wearing masks. Their sociopathy just went in different directions.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Kevin Conroy is the best Batman, but I'm not counting him because his one live action turn was meh and it's not a fair competition if we're talking his voice work. He did the job for decades.

Kilmer's the best live action Batman because he's legit the only one who seemed to get Bruce.

Totally agree about Kevin Conroy. But I'm genuinely curious, as someone who used to think that Kilmer was the best live-action Batman but has kind of soured on that assessment in retrospect, what is it about his performance that you feel indicates that he gets Bruce as a character?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
He is weird. He does weird shit. He generally is in a Sisyphusian struggle with Gotham's darkness and often contributes to the problem because he both attracts an ever-increasing level of villains who try to top him (and each other) and never manages to address any problem with permanency. He could probably go farther by feeding people and running social outreach program, but instead he spends it on gadgets, a one-man intelligence agency that rivals the capabilities of most nation states, and an alternate mogul lifestyle.

Actually he is incredibly effective and permanently improves conditions in Gotham in less than a year on the job as recently as the Nolan trilogy. He stops a terrorist from destroying the city, eliminates organized crime, captures the Joker and retires. Dark Knight Rises opens years later, no supervillains have emerged and organized crime is *still* out of commission. He only comes out of retirement because of an emerging threat whose origin is external to Gotham. In the course of that story he overcomes a severe spinal injury, completely thwarts the terrorists and survives a nuclear explosion, then fucks off to live happily ever after and gets everything he wants.

The Nolan trilogy is dark atmospherically, and certainly presented as more realistic than prior films, but it never questions the competence or effectiveness of Batman. He accomplishes absolutely everything he sets out to do and is presented as the only solution to some of the city's problems, this is never critically examined beyond a surface pass. In fact I would argue that, while the topics this movie seems set to explore are common discussions in fandom, they've never truly been a part of any of the major films. It's not a tired idea beyond comic book enthusiast circles.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It started with Tim Burton himself on how he saw Bruce in that movie (from a Hollywood Reporter interview with Keaton)
"I had met lots of the square-jaw type of actors, but it's like, well, why does somebody need to dress up like a bat? They don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, they're not a big action hero. They're somebody who's intelligent and kind of screwed up. And Michael has such an intensity that it's like, 'Yeah, I could see that guy wanting to dress up as a bat.' It's all rooted in psychology, Jekyll and Hyde and two sides of a personality, light and dark, and he understood that."

I think you can see that everywhere in the film, not only about his neurotic, socially uncomfortable Bruce, but also the fact that he lives in a huge mansion by himself, with cameras set up everywhere to spy on people. Remember when Bruce walks into Vale's apartment and says, "Nice place, lots of space." He doesn't want closeness with others. And The Joker actually says something similar, which I always thought was drawing a parallel between the two characters. They are both screwed up people, and both wearing masks. Their sociopathy just went in different directions.

Most of this doesn't read as weirdo to me, especially not in the way that Pattinson has been selling it. How many rich people do you know? They're all slightly strange compared to us normal folks. They live in absurdly large homes with high tech security systems, collect a bunch of nonsense, sometimes struggle to make basic conversation because their existence is so different from ours. I don't think Keaton ever came across half as strange as Pattinson in that funeral clip. Pattinson looks like an animated corpse, lol.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Most of this doesn't read as weirdo to me, especially not in the way that Pattinson has been selling it. How many rich people do you know? They're all slightly strange compared to us normal folks. They live in absurdly large homes with high tech security systems, collect a bunch of nonsense, sometimes struggle to make basic conversation because their existence is so different from ours. I don't think Keaton ever came across half as strange as Pattinson in that funeral clip. Pattinson looks like an animated corpse, lol.

I think Keaton's Bruce was definitely a weirdo. I mean from what little I've seen of Pattinson's Batman he is weird for sure, but I wouldn't even use weird to describe him, he seems a bit deranged. It's a different character and different time period in Bruce's life.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How long until we get campy batman? Is it bad that I want an uplifting Batman who tries to find the best in people, but still plans for the worst? Would be a good vehicle for a fun Batman & Robin movie

In a big budget live action film? I'm not sure, though I can imagine it's possible/I hope we'll get a more traditionally heroic and fun Bruce when/if they recast Affleck for the DCEU. He's gotta share the screen with Shazam and Peacemaker.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In a big budget live action film? I'm not sure, though I can imagine it's possible/I hope we'll get a more traditionally heroic and fun Bruce when/if they recast Affleck for the DCEU. He's gotta share the screen with Shazam and Peacemaker.
The DCEU is in the dangerous territory of being CW'd. Meaning no Batman and no Superman because they're off limits.