• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So good in Tarantino's best movie, along with being one of the few Tarantino movie characters (due to Elmore Leonard I suppose) who I felt okay actively rooting for, and it's because his portrayal actually made Max come across as an honorable good guy.

Oct 25, 2017

A fan of Forster since he was a kid, Tarantino had brought the actor in to audition for the part of aging gangster Joe Cabot in 1992's Reservoir Dogs, but he had his heart set on casting Lawrence Tierney. Tarantino never forgot Forster, however, and as he was crafting the screenplay for Jackie Brown (1997) — an adaptation of Elmore Leonard's 1992 novel Rum Punch — he wrote Max Cherry with him in mind.

"Years had gone by and I ran into him in a coffee shop. By then my career was really, really dead," Forster recalled in a 2018 interview with Fandor. "And we blah-blah'd for a few minutes, and then six months later he showed up at the same coffee shop with a script in his hands and handed it to me.

"When I read it I could hardly believe that he had me in mind for Max Cherry, except that nothing else made any sense. So when I asked him about it, he said, 'Yes, it's Max Cherry that I wrote for you.' That's when I said to him, 'I'm sure they're not going to let you hire me.' He said, 'I hire anybody I want.' And that's when I realized I was going to get another shot at a career."

He is phenomenal in Jackie Brown, arguably (and correctly) Tarantino's best film. Then there's also his work with David Lynch in Twin Peaks: The Return, Mulholland Drive, and his cameo near the end of Breaking Bad.

But really, his performance in Jackie Brown is so tender and magical; he has such warmth and sorrow in every scene.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched El Camino and then realized Jackie Brown was on Netflix and started watching that. Out of nowhere I decided to do a Robert Forster double feature and he's dead by the end of it. What's fucking up reality.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching Jackie Brown and checking immediately to see if he won an Oscar - I knew immediately it was one of those all-time great performances. I hope he went peacefully, he's earned it.

Oct 25, 2017
México
RIP.

Just finished El Camino literally 3 minutes ago. I logged in to read the El Camino thread and saw this.

Great actor. He will be missed.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
whoa, just watched El Camino earlier today and he was fantastic in it. So great in Jackie as well.

RIP.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
He'll always be Captain Dan Holland from Black Hole for me. He had such a calm but commanding voice/presence in that movie.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kid you not, I also watched El Camino today as well. Before his scene, I was wondering if he was going to be in it. I also thought he might have died recently and looked it up. At the time, he was not listed as having passed away.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, that's awful. He's a fantastic actor and I loved him in Twin Peaks. I can't believe how many people from that show have passed away at this point.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
the day El Camino comes out, unreal. I became aware of him at first through Delta Force. He was wonderful in Jackie Brown.

RIP

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
5e2acdaaaffefa4b65446a0405d59141.gif

Awww

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck cancer. It's ridiculous how many Twin Peaks cast members we've lost to this garbage disease in the past few years.

Insane Dead

Oct 25, 2017
Man I am so bummed out hearing this just finished El Camino today and never would have expected reading this. Loved him on the new Twin Peaks too. Rest In Peace.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
When I was watching El Camino earlier, for some reason I thought he died in the beginning of the year and was a bit sad during his scenes. Then I looked him up and found out he was still alive and was happy to be wrong. Fuck. RIP

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no :(

He was a client at a talent agency I used to work for. He came in one day to give the office a motivational speech, which was something he did for years. An old-school gentleman.

El Camino was a beautiful swan song for him. RIP.