• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Posted by McFly on the Dualsense OT, I think it's worth a new thread since this is pretty crazy.

https://www.roadtovr.com/watch-ps5-dualsense-controller-imu-motion-tracking/
While the PS5 DualSense controller doesn't currently allow for position (6DOF) tracking, its rotational (3DOF) tracking is very impressive thanks, apparently, to a stellar IMU inside

Sony seems to have found some ultra-precise IMU because, even without any external reference point, the DualSense controller seems almost devoid of drift. That's counter to my experience with PSVR devices in the past. Even with external tracking from the PS4 camera, I've noticed plenty of drift from the headset, PS Move, and PS Aim in various games.

While playing in 'Cooling Springs' in Astro's Playroom the game allowed me to 'inspect' an object I found by rotating my controller in space, which would then rotate the object on screen. This gave me a good chance to test out the DualSense motion tracking.

No matter how violently I tried to shake and twist the controller, the on-screen object never lost its 'forward' direction—even without an external camera aiding in the tracking. I even sat the controller down in a random orientation for 30 minutes, and then compared the position of the object before and after, and found hardly any change. This shows that the controller's IMU has very little internal drift and noise.​

You'll surely notice the latency in the video, but considering this isn't a VR application (and therefore not tuned for latency) I'm not terribly worried about that.

The really impressive thing we're seeing here is the controller seems to remember its forward direction with absolutely no problem, even without an external point of reference. With PS4's DualShock controller (as well as PSVR, PS Aim, and PS Move), the PS4 camera provides the external frame of reference to ensure the devices can maintain an absolute forward direction.

From an IMU alone, knowing a device's downward direction is pretty trivial because gravity offers a strong directional force which can be detected reliably by an accelerometer. While a gyroscope can reliably tell you when an object is rotating around its axis, it's still doesn't have any explicit understanding of 'forward', which means its susceptibility to drift is equal to its margin of error.

While not as strong as gravity, there is another force that can be used to help reliably maintain a forward heading: the Earth's magnetic field. Some modern IMUs incorporate magnetometers to do just that, and it seems like the IMU in the DualSense controller may now include a magnetometer—or perhaps a much more precise one than was available previously.

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed with the ds4, that no matter how straight I held it, it would slowly start to drift after a little bit. Hope this wont have the same problem.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
really interested in games that fully support gyro for aiming and the like, hopefully a lot of games will support it

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I have significant drift issues with the DS4 while playing Astrobot VR, but that kind of quick jerking/spinning motion is exactly what I use to REALIGN it. The drift happens when it's not moving so much. I don't see this doing anything in particular that the PS4/DS4 wouldn't match

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was in the Easy Allies impressions, one of the commentators - someone apparently very skeptical of motion control - mentioned that the Dualsense in Astro Bot was the first time motion control 'felt right' to him. I think the NXGamer video also mentions that the motion control segments in that Astrobot level gave very precise control.

That's probably a function of a number of things, but maybe the quality of the motion sensor helps too.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
Jibb Smart rn
ENvAd_tWoAUgqDh.jpg

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But we can't use it for VR......
you can't use it for VR yet.

Plus, 'road to VR' is the name of the website this article was pulled from. The subject of the article is the Dualsense's improved and more stable motion sensing over the Dualshock 4. The article's author does mention at the end of the article that the quality of the Dualsense 5's motion sensing bodes well for the future of Playstation VR controllers. PS VR on PS4 used some pretty antiquated technology in innovative ways to enable inexpensive and accessible VR, but with PS5 VR likely being built from the ground up with new controllers and tracking tech, any new hint at what sort of tech they're utilizing on PS5 in general helps give us a better idea of what VR on PS5 might be like.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be quite significant latency though.

That'd be a function of the application/engine (and/or possibly even other things, like the display setup) more than the controller or sensor hardware. The DS4 gyro sampled at hundreds of times a second IIRC, it's likely this sampling rate is higher still. But, yes, it would be nice to see engines tuning as much as possible for reduced input latency.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is good.

Too bad those of us that want VR have to wait a few years for the next version.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I can read. I'm just wondering how useful motion control like that is in a non VR application, with so much latency.
The latency you see in those gifs is not innate. Gyro functionality is (optimally) tuned to suit any given game and its mechanics. There are games on PS4, Switch, and previous Nintendo and Sony platforms, which demonstrate just how snappy gyro can be (all the way up to 'seemingly instantaneous'), and it's easy to try it yourself with any PC game that has camera control via Steam input, where custom gyro-to-mouse mapping will generally feel incredibly responsive before you've even tuned it.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
doesn't more movement tend to calibrate drift? is this actually impressive? the latency is pretty bad regardless of the "it's not tuned" hand wave.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I really can't see what's impressive about this... I mean yeah, it's a more stable gyro but that's it, there is no moving in space of course since the lack of external tracking... so really, we can't say that the controller wouldn't have start drifting anyway with a 6DOF implementation.
This could be cool for precise gyro aiming but that's it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
People keep talking about latency from the video when that's just the specific game's handling of it. DS4 gyro doesn't have that level of latency on PC even.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
DS4 gyro doesn't have that level of latency on PC even.
That makes it more strange instead of less.

The article also comparing it to the PSVR and Move Controller tracking is also weird since that technology was outdated when it was released by a generation (now 2 gens old)

You'd hope it's be able to do this stuff at a bare minimum now.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
That makes it more strange instead of less.

Here's an example and that controller is wired which on DS4 introduces more latency than bluetooth.

It wouldn't be too strange if Astrobot's implementation is to keep the movement as smooth as possible considering this is more of an inspection of an object rather than a gameplay thing. It really won't be an issue for VR although I 100% see PSVR2 having more modern VR controllers bundled in to the point where you wouldn't really be using the Dualsense in the first place.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping they would solve this. Playing games with this or using the motion controls will be great if it as good as this seems, and it would be even better if developers fricking supported and used it.