• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know which console version the PC version was closest to, but it had a very memorable sense of style, that's for sure.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
What didn't you like about it? Just didn't quite land as a spiritual sequel?

I bought a key off of a user here in the B/S/T thread for a couple of bucks and played it for about an hour and never touched it again. It just didn't feel like Road Rash at all and felt more like some generic arcade game. Did nothing for me.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I think about Road Rash 3DO, it reminds me of this awesome Hammerbox track that sort of defines that game for me. Every time I hear it I want to load the game up on my Saturn. Such awesome memories of that game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I never played road rash...what I did play was Skitchin' which is basically a twist on road rash on rollerblades and hitching on to the bumpers of moving cars. Youre still beating the living shit out of your rivals with weapons though.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This was one of the games where the game logic was really close to the surface; you never crested a hill in the oncoming lane as a car would ALWAYS appear. That sorta thing.

Natasha was my first waifu. Make sure you NEVER hit her. You don't want to be on her bad side.

Best stage in the original game was Pacific Coast, hands down. Just because of the music.

That use of an idling cycle noise for bass was sublime.

The whole soundtrack was aces.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Road Rash II on Genesis is the greatest racing game of all time, it's the oldest game I still play regularly (besides Tetris)

Anyone played this?
RR2 on Genesis is my fave too!

I have Road Redemption on Steam. Was part of the kickstarter, too! Its not quite the same as classic RR, but its definitely a spiritial successor and has come quite a long way since the initial esrly access builds.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
The Road Rashes were great. I liked a lot of EA games back then. I really miss General Chaos.

Nov 2, 2017
Road Rash Jailbreak is the only one I had the pleasure of playing as a kid. And I loved every minute of it. From it's weird 90s punk tunes to it's crappy ass FMV cutscenes, it was a beaut. I still think about it every so often
Jailbreak is fantastic. Bro and I played it a ton back in the day. Bought it recently to play bc on my PS2 and still very fun.

GBA Jailbreak also highly recommended. Also played recently, held up well.

BTW, this is the spiritual successor to Road Rash. Its even crazier:

Got this early access on PC/Steam and after my gaming PC went down, got it on Xbone. Very fun too; I probably played the early access more but worth trying out if you like Road Rash. Road Redemption feels like a throwback with a modern enough presentation.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was Road Rash 64 the one with a track that was just a straight line into a wall everyone ran into at the end? That track was amazing and we just played that over and over

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Yes^^

Road Rash 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. Not only was that game just fun to play but the hilarious sound effects throughout the game always made me smile.

I'll still play it every couple of years and have a blast for a few hours.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
First Open World 3D Racer? Road Rash 3D.

Man LOVED the Soundtrack. There was nothing like going off track and just cruising around the wrold.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Road Redemption is ok, but they kind of gilded the lily. I really just want the basics with updated graphics/physics and long, detailed tracks.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The game is great and I wish they'd make a new one. The RPG progression system had you playing for hours. There's an indie game on Steam that tried to make a spiritual successor, but it's a bit cluttered and sometimes obtuse to engage the combat.

Side note: They remade the first game for PC, SEGA CD, PSone, Jaguar and 3DO, I believe. They had a licensed soundtrack and FMVs. The SEGA CD version played like the Genny game (the others had a new UI and 3D stages), but for some reason it was the only version of the game to play the licensed soundtrack during the races.

1, 2, and 3 were also released on the PSP EA Collection with new music (non-licensed).

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody speak to the technical prowess of the Genesis games? These games played very well compared to other racing games on the Genesis at the time. Hilly terrain was a thing with other Genesis racers but it felt like Road Rash really made use of hills more than another games. It would put multiple hills next to each other or you could launch yourself into the air with them which I don't think other racing games were really doing much of at the time. Seems like there's also a ton of parallax for the backgrounds and the scaling was also pretty convincing. The Sega Genesis did not naturally have Mode 7ish hardware scaling so that all had to be done in software I would imagine? I just compare these to other Genesis racers and walk away thinking that these games were just pushing boundaries in the genre at the time.

Waxyresidude

Oct 31, 2017
Here is Kev Connolly's pre-visualization of a proposed Road Rash sequel. It infused some Burnout elements into the formula.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
It may be one of my favourite, long lost franchises. EA is sitting on a huge pile of them and it's a crying shame they are not interested in making an effort to do something with them.

That said, I'd think the art team would have some trouble adapting the original visuals to the modern era. The charicaturesque look of the 1994 reboot is still unmatched, but also a product of its era. I'm sure a talented team would have a lot of fun adapting it.

Road Rash 64 is the best in the series and I would love a sequel with the same gameplay just expanded to modern standards.

I can't believe how well Andrew WK fits there. He'd probably make for a hell of a credits/outro song.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yup, I don't get why EA has such a hardline philosophy of cutting ties with it's successful franchises. Bye bye NBA Street, Road Rash, Skate, etc, etc forever and ever amen. Can't believe they even put out that EA collection on PSP back in the day.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
One of the biggest reasons I love Soundgarden. Loved the FMV's and the caricatures. Rusty Cage all day.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
One of the biggest reasons I love Soundgarden. Loved the FMV's and the caricatures. Rusty Cage all day.
One of the most beautiful things about Road Rash 1994 was how in your face 90's it was. And I'm not the biggest fan of the decade, but it was a killer one for music.

As far as I'm concerned Road Rash is one of the few vidjas from that particular era that aged with actual grace instead of looking corny and outdated in a bad way. Which is to say it's a true classic. I don't even know how a reboot could ever capture the gist of it, specially given the current musical landscape.

Just look at it. Even the logo/splash screen was 90's AF.

45B8Afg.jpg

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Shout out to Road Rash 2 for being the best sequel ever.

Road Rash 3 is a masterpiece. I wish I could be part of EA and force a remake of Road Rash 1/2/3 and combine them into one massive game. I know the game inside out, and I love analyzing how that game was made, one animation at a time. It's beautiful.

No sequels or inspired games will come close, and they always get tempting by cramming too much shit into it. Don't cram shit into Road Rash formula! It's Goddamn perfect. Stop making it into NFS or Burnout!

Also, those Genesis soundtrack are so much better than the "add Grunge music to the game" approach. It was fantastic as a kid but I personally think the original genesis music is godlike.

Question: Where can I find sprites to Road Rash games? I looked everywhere and can't find it.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo on PC all day every day. Never found the key to hit your opponents tho :D

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
road rash on the sega master system/game gear is a goddamn miracle port:

The music is honestly the only thing that clues you in that you're not playing the Genesis version. How in the goddamn world did they do this?!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Can anybody speak to the technical prowess of the Genesis games? These games played very well compared to other racing games on the Genesis at the time. Hilly terrain was a thing with other Genesis racers but it felt like Road Rash really made use of hills more than another games. It would put multiple hills next to each other or you could launch yourself into the air with them which I don't think other racing games were really doing much of at the time. Seems like there's also a ton of parallax for the backgrounds and the scaling was also pretty convincing. The Sega Genesis did not naturally have Mode 7ish hardware scaling so that all had to be done in software I would imagine? I just compare these to other Genesis racers and walk away thinking that these games were just pushing boundaries in the genre at the time.
The 2player split screen was ROUGH. like 3 fps rough.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Road Rash 2 is the high point in a series with few duds. It really got a great balance of everything plus a great 2 player mode.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Somebody should make a ghostrider game. And i'm talking about that swedish motorcyclist that drives like a mad man in traffic.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
I got the PC version for my birthday when I was 4 I think. Shit was so damn fun, one of my earliest memories of gaming along with DOS games.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I ever really did races on the Amiga version. I'd just ride 'til I got knocked off the bike, then just run the rest.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
BTW, this is the spiritual successor to Road Rash. Its even crazier:

I backed this on KS and sadly its not really like Road Rash at all other than you're battling on bikes in races. One of the most important charms about Road Rash was crashing your bike and then having to go and find it and get back on, even running the rest of the race if you knew it was going to blow up. To call yourself a spiritual successor to Road Rash and just ignore such a fundamental part of the original game is just silly. All the little cut scenes after a race was part of the charm also, again this is nothing like that and tbh is pretty bland