• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
So I put in about 30 hours on PS3 and dropped it after about 10 of that 30 hours was spent on loading screens and I got bored with it.

However, with the PS4 remaster, those loading screens are non-existent now, so I'm all-in and having fun with it; the game has been a great detraction from my normal Destiny addiction/grind!

With that being said, I joined the:

Companions
Mages Guild
Thieves Guild
and I plan on joining the Dark Brotherhood as well

Yes, I'm all-in and will be doing it all! The problem is, like with Oblivion, the quests get intertwined. Is there a way to do all 4 guilds plus Stormcloaks or Legion without screwing up the other guild quest lines? Is there a good app/website that outlines a great route to take through all of the missions with minimum repercussions?

What is the best plan of action to get trough this all?

Also, Stormcloaks or Legion? Which one gives you better story and gear?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You can do them all on one character. Only either/or is Imperials or MAGAers Stormcloaks (choose Imperials).

As for when/what order to do them... it makes no difference. You could just do each all the way through one-by-one, to make it easier to follow their stories.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
You can do them all on one character. Only either/or is Imperials or MAGAers Stormcloaks (choose Imperials).

As for when/what order to do them... it makes no difference. You could just do each all the way through one-by-one, to make it easier to follow their stories.

The what now? Bruh, I'm at lvl. 14 ish....

SLJ.gif

Also, completing all the thieves guild missions first, doesn't ruin any of the mages guild or companion missions? Dark Brotherhood missions don't kill any of the leaders from any of the other guilds?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Go Imperials. Stormcloaks are just a bunch of racists.

Don't be a racist. Join the Imperials.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yep. I recommend doing them all one at a time. I did that and it made it feel like several games in one with the main story and each guild/faction being their own little self contained stories. Did the same thing in Oblivion.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The Imperials almost execute you at the start of the game, are the Stormcloaks that bad?

I never did the Imperial/Stormcloak questline myself.

Stormcloaks want everyone who isn't a nord to be kicked out of Skyrim.

But they're fine with you helping even if your not a Nord because "your one of the good ones."

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I'm not sure I follow, Oblivion didn't have intertwining quests at all, and neither does Skyrim.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Yep. I recommend doing them all one at a time. I did that and it made it feel like several games in one with the main story and each guild/faction being their own little self contained stories. Did the same thing in Oblivion.

I did that with Oblivion too, but I remember killing off "allies" at the same time, lol

Nope. None of them interact.

Very nice

The Imperials almost execute you at the start of the game, are the Stormcloaks that bad?

Good point. I picked up both questlines, but haven't continued either..

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Stormcloaks want everyone who isn't a nord to be kicked out of Skyrim.

But they're fine with you helping even if your not a Nord because "your one of the good ones."

But then, the Imperials ostensibly cooperate with Thalmor, which is basically racist Inquisition.
I don't think either side is very nice.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

The Stormcloaks and their leader Ulfric Stormcloak are white nationalists who literally want to Make Skyrim Great Again, at the expense of non-Nords.

Further (I'll spoil this in case the OP wants to discover it themselves): Ulfric Stormcloak is a brainwashed Thalmor asset. The Thalmor -- the setting's Nazi analogue -- are using the Ulfric and his Stormcloak movement to drive a wedge between the Empire and Skyrim, weakening both and making them easier pickings. The Thalmor's Ambassador Elenwen shows up at Helgen at the beginning of the game in order to prevent General Tullius from executing Ulfric, but Alduin intervenes before she needs to.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
It's super silly how one character can be the head of the Dark Brotherhood, the thieves guild AND be the Arch-Mage without much conflict. What's worse is how some mage novice can become the Arch-Mage when other qualified people should've taken the role instead.

Bethesda pls.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The other Either/Or is joining either the Vampires or the Vampire hunters in the Dawnguard DLC, pretty sure you can't do both of those quest chains on a single character given that part of the quests involve making the other faction antagonistic towards you.

Dec 5, 2017
But then, the Imperials ostensibly cooperate with Thalmor, which is basically racist Inquisition.
I don't think either side is very nice.

The Imperials are only cooperating them to bide their time and regain their strength. They were perfectly happy to only pay lip service to the peace treaty terms while waiting to strike back at the Thalmor. Also spoilers for the conflict:
Also Ulfric is a Thalmor agent and being used by them to weaken the Empire

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
You can easily do everything in Skyrim in one playthrough, the only exceptions being the Legion/Stormcloaks quests and the Dawnguard/Volkihar quests. So if that's what you want, don't worry about screwing anything up.

I always recommend people to just make different characters for all the questlines, though. Just doesn't make sense in-universe to have one character do it all.

I also love how every Skyrim thread becomes a political debate between Imperials and Stormcloaks. Doesn't take long, but it always happen.

Fuck Ulfric.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The Imperials are only cooperating them to bide their time and regain their strength. They were perfectly happy to only pay lip service to the peace treaty terms while waiting to strike back at the Thalmor. Also spoilers for the conflict:
Also Ulfric is a Thalmor agent and being used by them to weaken the Empire

Huh, okay, despite sinking more than 300 hours into Skyrim, I never finished either Stormcloak nor Imperial questline, on account of how both factions repulsed me.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I was one of those weird kids who made different characters for each major story as the dragnborn would never join the Thieves Guild lol

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The context and messaging of the Stormcloaks sure got a lot worse post 2016. They were racists before and with a different real world context are even ickier.

I was one of those weird kids who made different characters for each major story as the dragnborn would never join the Thieves Guild lol

You're not alone. I just went through a very long 250 our modded playthrough over the summer and explicitly chose not to do the Thieves Guild, Mages' Guild, or Dark Brotherhood because that's not what the character I made would do as a big buff orc man. I started another character to go through those and be a thief magic to cover it but wanted to take a break and play other games before I really commit.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Unlike New Vegas there's no consequences to factions whatsoever aside from the boring civil war quest line

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to do all 4 guilds plus Stormcloaks or Legion without screwing up the other guild quest lines?

pretty sure each individual quest line is standalone. there's some nuances like you need to do the Dark Brotherhood a certain way to marry Muiri ("the hottest girl in skyrim")

but yeah you can pretty much go nuts

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The quest lines never intersect nor do they ever really have any effect on one another. You can be leader of all guilds in one go just by playing normally (which is weird considering some of the stuff you do in the dark brotherhood quest line should lock you out of at least one questline). Also when it comes to stormcloaks vs empire, there's very little difference besides the colors the guards wear. The civil war is also extremely boring and a real slog to get through, but thankfully you can just leave it on the backburner forever and never have to worry about it.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
pretty sure each individual quest line is standalone. there's some nuances like you need to do the Dark Brotherhood a certain way to marry Muiri ("the hottest girl in skyrim")

but yeah you can pretty much go nuts

I put all my money into the Breezeway house in Whiterun so I could adopt that poor homeless girl there, so I'm a sucker....

How do I take on a wife? Can I have multiple wives?

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I put all my money into the Breezeway house in Whiterun so I could adopt that poor homeless girl there, so I'm a sucker....

How do I take on a wife? Can I have multiple wives?
Without mods you can only have one spouse. The way to get a spouse is that first they must like you, which you can do by completing a quest for them. For example Ysolda will be willing to marry you after you get her those mammoth tusks. After you've done the quest, wear an amulet of mara (which you can get from Maramal in riften) and talk to them. They should comment on you wearing an amulet of mara and the appropriate marriage dialogue option should be there.

Also if your playing on a platform that allows mods, I recommend you take a look at some mods that let you adopt more children since the hard limit in vanilla is 2 kids and there's a lot of orphans you meet in the game with their own sob stories that make you feel like shit for not adopting them.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Might be fun making a High Elf character who takes the 'evil' Dragonborn aspect (like Miraak) to the extreme by becoming an Arch-Mage, a Vampire, and joining the Stormcloaks since a Stormcloak victory would aid the Aldmeri dominion in the long-run.

Imo it's how I reconcile playing as a non-Nord Stormcloak.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Without mods you can only have one spouse. The way to get a spouse is that first they must like you, which you can do by completing a quest for them. For example Ysolda will be willing to marry you after you get her those mammoth tusks. After you've done the quest, wear an amulet of mara (which you can get from Maramal in riften) and talk to them. They should comment on you wearing an amulet of mara and the appropriate marriage dialogue option should be there.

Also if your playing on a platform that allows mods, I recommend you take a look at some mods that let you adopt more children since the hard limit in vanilla is 2 kids and there's a lot of orphans you meet in the game with their own sob stories that make you feel like shit for not adopting them.

should explain everything. my two cents is not to get too fussed with that stuff until you spent like 50-100 hrs in the game already. but if it's what you want to do go for it

Great info.

I'll have to go through each storyline and start aiming for a single cutie.