• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

River City Girls or Streets or Rage 4

• River City Girls

Votes: 118 21.9%
  • Streets of Rage 4

Votes: 421 78.1%

• Total voters

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i want to get a beat em up to play locally with the wife and was wondering which y'all prefer? I almost pulled the trigger on river city at launch but ended up not getting it. I really like the art on that one. what's the consensus on River city Girls? any good?

Cheers

p.s. would appreciate answers from folks that played both

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the context but I hear River City Girls has some gross, not good story beats or something.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The RCG true ending was shit before it was patched, but it's alright now. I'm gonna go with SoR4 but RCG is absolutely fantastic. Ideally you should get both, to be honest.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
having finish both, i really think Street of Rage 4 is much better and fun package.

Didn't find grinding money and overall balancing in River city Girls fun on hardest difficulty.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played Streets of Rage yet but River City Girls was pretty great I thought, some killer music, fun characters and cool bosses.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
RC Girls is fun, great soundtrack and combat on the whole was pretty good once you unlock all the moves and chain them together into some fun combos. But it just feels more limited compared to what the combat system in SOR4 lets you do - and you don't even need to unlock any moves in SOR4 (though it has plenty of characters to unlock). That and just the "feel" of the combat just feels way better in SOR, aside from some characters maybe feeling a bit too slow.
Boss wise both have some interesting takes on boss fights.

In the end though, I finished RC Girls and got the secret ending (fighting the real final boss) and haven't played it since. Meanwhile I keep going back over and over to SOR4 as its just so damn fun to play.

So - SOR4 would be my pick.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Streets of Rage is a better brawler, a better game and the closest to what you're looking for. River City veers into a few too may deviations pretending to modernize the genre yet the results are uneven. It's not a regular old-school brawler and it doesn't intend to either. In doing a bit more of anything, it becomes a worse beat em up at its core.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
i want to get a beat em up to play locally with the wife and was wondering which y'all prefer? I almost pulled the trigger on river city at launch but ended up not getting it. I really like the art on that one. what's the consensus on River city Girls? any good?

Cheers

p.s. would appreciate answers from folks that played both

Not sure what you're playing on, but SoR4 is currently on Xbox Game Pass.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Streets of Rage 4 by far!
It nailed the utmost important part of a beat'em up, the combat. It just feel great to actually fight baddies in it. So many, especially modern beat'em up fails in this aspect. They try to mask it by having juggles and combos but that doesn't help at all when the core combat just doesn't feel great.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SOR4 isn't just the best beat em' up this generation (by an immeasurable stretch), if it had been released in the mid '90s its excellence would be revered today.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I'd recommend River City Girls but you should play SOR Remake instead. Sega knew that game would turn better than SOR4, hence the C&D.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Why is Fight n Rage not an option? It should be an option because it's excellent and does most of the things people have been lauding SOR4 (deservedly) and then some. The aesthetic might not be for everyone, but I cannot rightly say SOR4 is "the best BEU of the generation/all-time/hyperbole" when FnR exists.

I don't know the context but I hear River City Girls has some gross, not good story beats or something.
The RCG true ending was shit before it was patched, but it's alright now. I'm gonna go with SoR4 but RCG is absolutely fantastic. Ideally you should get both, to be honest.
It was also a meta gag taken way out of context, but it definitely should have been the normal ending to begin with if only because a meta gag isn't the best thing for a "real" ending.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SOR4 is so good it retroactively made me dislike RCG more. WayForward's presentation is godly but it's so hard to ignore how limp and janky the game itself feels.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
RCG is good, and SoR4 is stronger mechanically/balance-wise, but you should play RCG first so that by the time you do play it, you aren't comparing it to SoR4

Also, RCG is closer to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World with its stats and progression, so if you prefer that to th emore arcade nature of the SoR series, that's something to consider

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I haven't played either, but I'd go for RCG simply because I enjoyed the RPG elements of River City Ransom more than I did any standard beat 'em up of the time.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
River City Girls is great, but Streets of Rage 4 is exemplary.

I'd go with Streets of Rage 4. My wife and I have a blast playing it together, and it has one of the best soundtracks of the year. They more than did the series justice.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I loved and played the heck out of RCG with my son. It's got a charming cast of characters, good soundtrack and great humor. I didn't find anything wrong with the combat except having to unlock moves and abilities over time. Being able to run and block with any character is greatly appreciated, especially now that SOR4 is out. RCG is definitely worth a play through.

I am definitely having a blast with SOR4. Online co-op for 2 players and offline co-op for 4-players is an advantage here. This is a harder game than RCG, especially with a lack of mobility for most characters. It gets a little frustrating at times on those hard levels, but I am loving the process of adapting and improving my fighting ability. The music is amazing, just wish we could hear more of. If you have Gamepass, you should try it out here.

CoinReturn

Nov 7, 2017
River City Girls is one of my most disappointing purchases in recent memory.

Streets of Rage 4 is great.

Pacifaxe

Oct 28, 2017
West Sacramento
loved RCG, the soundtrack in that game is amazing. Sucks that jerks are selling the vinyl for so much currently.

However SOR4 is by far the best beat-em up I've ever played. As a kid when I played any beat-em up I'd experience fatigue towards the end of the game... SOR4 has managed to make it so that you will keep playing. Music transitions, fair fights, super fun combo system, high score hunting, online play and the characters all offer something fun(currently trying to make Axel work).

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played RCG but I have played RCR. I can't imagine that RCG, while I'm sure it is great, is better than SoR4. SoR4 is fucking sublime.

Only thing I will say is if RCG follows in RCR's footsteps, I would imagine it's more growth oriented with stuff like buying moves/health ect. SoR4 has none of that, and is just pure beat em up bliss. The only investment you have is just getting better at the game. But they're two different styles with two different appeals so keep that in mind.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Why is Fight n Rage not an option? It should be an option because it's excellent and does most of the things people have been lauding SOR4 (deservedly) and then some. The aesthetic might not be for everyone, but I cannot rightly say SOR4 is "the best BEU of the generation/all-time/hyperbole" when FnR exists.

I prefer it to Streets of Rage 4 as well - the fighting just feels better, you have more options and moves (and crazy combos). Crotch shot in the character select screen is really the only weird aspect of an otherwise great game.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I prefer it to Streets of Rage 4 as well - the fighting just feels better, you have more options and moves (and crazy combos). Crotch shot in the character select screen is really the only weird aspect of an otherwise great game.
I feel like it cribs the best parts of SOR and FF, marries them with some parts of Kunio and Double Dragon, mixes it in a furry blender and does it well enough that the last piece, even if it's not your cup of tea (like me), doesn't even really matter. All the branching paths, different endings, 3-player combat, combat options and music just make it outstanding. It's definitely my favorite BEU in forever. I think it's apart of the reason why some parts of SOR4 felt like steps back solely in the name of nostalgia (since a lot of what's there is based more on SOR2).

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i was curious about it, i played a lot of SoR4 lately, but never played RCG, but was interested because of it look like Scott Pilgrim

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
I'm not going to go into detail but as someone who's played both SoR4 and Fight N Rage to death, I can you Fight N Rage is the superior game by far, so much so that it's almost criminal to compare them. As for RCG, couldn't tell ya.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
RCG is incredible. Streets of Rage 4 is even better tho.

Play both if you can. Play SoR4 if you only got room for one beat'em up this gen.

The aesthetic might not be for everyone

Aesthetic matters. In games in general, but beat'em ups especially. These are games that demand repetition to really get the most out of them. Weak or boring visuals and sounds don't facilitate wanting to play something over and over until you really master the mechanics.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Played both a few times through. SoR4 feels much better to play imo. I'm not a fan of the lengthy time enemies stay on the floor in River City. It's fun to stomp em the first couple times at least. I also think the combo system is to strict and much prefer it on SoR4.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like RCG more but SoR has features that I wish the former had. Four player co op, PvP, online, the combo system seems a lot more accessible too.

RCG has a better soundtrack, I like how you have an entire move list, and you can run. I want to be able to run in beat em ups.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streets of Rage 4. It is a modern classic and one of those games that lived to the hype. It is a worthy sequel and the game feels amazing to play.

River City is great but it just doesn't compare. It is a fun time and I recommend it but if you only have to get one then Streets of Rage is my pick. I did dislike the original true ending of RCG but they patched it and it isn't an issue any more.

So yeah, SOR4.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Yea... I love sor4 probably more than anyone else on this forum but this is patently untrue. They are, as we speak, making balancing changes not only to bosses, but buffs to characters like axel as well according to their recent AMA. (Link here)

We thought it would be interesting to have some enemies that you have to avoid the attack before counter attacking. But watching people play and listening to feedback, we are currently working on a balancing patch, and reducing ennemies super armor is going to be one of the changes.

Some super armor.moves come out near instantly... With no time to react (like the commissioner's quick uppercut that is like 1 frame). These moves ruin mania runs.

On topic. SOR4 is the superior game. By far.

1invisibleB

Feb 27, 2020
UK
Played both, SoR4 alllllllll day. It's just so fun to play.
I know it's not really 8 bit but River City Girls always felt like a upgraded 8 bit beat em up to me.
Where SoR4 feels like a upgraded 16 bit beat em up.
The best way I think to choose is did you like nes or snes beatemups more and then go with that. (Even then go with SoR4 lol)

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
SoR4 bored me to death. I really do not care for the way it plays at all outside of Cherry. RCG all the way.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Both are great.

SOR4 is fantastic but on a visual level I prefer the pixel art of RCG.

ead55dd6d7b22d6f0b6c03fbea1abf72.gif
GT7bA0j.gif

SKAAFNw.gif
nDE9IWw.gif

Oct 25, 2017
SOR is the better game in almost every aspect. RCG presentation still is amazing and the RPG mechanics might be more your jam though.