• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Rivals of Aether Definitive Edition is coming to Nintendo Switch and Steam on September 24th

Creatures of Aether is coming to iOS and Android on September 28th.

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is the problem with that?
I think it was just a kneejerk reaction because of COVID. Like I said though, they still run online tournaments, and they're very active with their competitive community, so it's a good message regardless.

EDIT: Well, it was my kneejerk reaction.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
it is telling a little bit too much about which type of players they want for their game when no single player footage is shown but they show crowds of esports

From what I heard that it's quite popular for people online (tournaments-wise and custom characters (steam only!)) So I'm not surprised that they probably want to expand the competitive scene for the game.

like all fighting games (or platformer fighter), they always have competitive audiences, no matter how small or big the game is.

I think it was just a kneejerk reaction because of COVID. Like I said though, they still run online tournaments, and they're very active with their competitive community, so it's a good message regardless.

EDIT: Well, it was my kneejerk reaction.

I thought it was weird to display that considering the pandemic happening. And I just had a feeling that Platy's message potentially meant something else.

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i am just tired that every smash clone is either
1) made for meele tournament players
2) isn't a proper smash clone
3) is called brawhalla.
1. The Melee inspiration is undeniable, but from what I've heard from the developer, the way Rivals was designed was to be Melee but easier. Melee was really complicated at high level, and the most fun part was rushing in and doing combos. Rivals was designed to amplify those fun aspects the most, so most matches are fast-paced with constant action as opponents are at each other's throats at all times. There's no shielding, and there's no grabbing the ledge. Instead, you have a parry that stuns a foe if you block their attacks so you can punish them, and every character has a wall jump which is mainly used to help you recover with the most common process being Up-B towards the wall, wall jump, Up B again.
2. I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm sure none of these games want to completely rip off of Smash Bros.
3. Well, I've never played Brawlhalla, but upon viewing it a bit, Rivals is nothing like it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
1. The Melee inspiration is undeniable, but from what I've heard from the developer, the way Rivals was designed was to be Melee but easier. Melee was really complicated at high level, and the most fun part was rushing in and doing combos. Rivals was designed to amplify those fun aspects the most, so most matches are fast-paced with constant action as opponents are at each other's throats at all times. There's no shielding, and there's no grabbing the ledge. Instead, you have a parry that stuns a foe if you block their attacks so you can punish them, and every character has a wall jump which is mainly used to help you recover with the most common process being Up-B towards the wall, wall jump, Up B again.
2. I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm sure none of these games want to completely rip off of Smash Bros.
3. Well, I've never played Brawlhalla, but upon viewing it a bit, Rivals is nothing like it.

I mean that there is no single game besides smash that is casual focused and features percentage as a kill mechanic besides brawhalla ... and brawhalla still sucks in the offline department because it is f2p

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that there is no single game besides smash that is casual focused and features percentage as a kill mechanic besides brawhalla ... and brawhalla still sucks in the offline department because it is f2p
Ah, I see. For what it's worth Rivals has both stages with hazards and stages without hazards as a toggle, and of course 4-player battles are possible. There are single-player modes as well, including a story mode, which were the easiest ways to unlock content in the game before the Definitive Edition which unlocks everything. Rivals also uses percentages, which unfortunately wasn't shown in this trailer.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
i am just tired that every smash clone is either
1) made for meele tournament players
2) isn't a proper smash clone
3) is called brawhalla, which is still online focused
This can still be played casually. Melee can be played casually (and was/is).
Smash Bros. exists as do other "character brawlers," and they all are not going for Melee players - Melee players are playing Melee. Rivals is the closest a non-smash game has come to gaining their attention and time, but Melee is still active, so they still play Melee.
Again, other games exist and meet your criteria if you'd take your microscope off from whatever pigeon-holed perspective you have for platform-fighters.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ah, I see. For what it's worth Rivals has both stages with hazards and stages without hazards as a toggle, and of course 4-player battles are possible. There are single-player modes as well, including a story mode, which were the easiest ways to unlock content in the game before the Definitive Edition which unlocks everything. Rivals also uses percentages, which unfortunately wasn't shown in this trailer.

Yeah i know all that. And i will probably buy it on switch since i am that kind of person, but the fact that they show more "join the competitive scene" than the story mode means that will feel more welcomed in Lovers of Aether than this game =P

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm not sure if the Creatures beta test is under embargo. I don't think it's breaking an embargo to say it's good.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
it is telling a little bit too much about which type of players they want for their game when no single player footage is shown but they show crowds of esports
Most of the "Smash Bros-like" focus on the competitive section.

I've never understood why, when it's not why Smash Bros is popular.

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the "Smash Bros-like" focus on the competitive section.

I've never understood why, when it's not why Smash Bros is popular.
Smash Bros. is popular because it's a cross-over of extremely popular video game icons. Games that are inspired by it but don't want to go for the "all-star" angle and instead want to make their own unique worlds and characters lean in on the gameplay side in an attempt to capture those players who value the mechanics of Smash Bros. and want more games that play like it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Smash Bros. is popular because it's a cross-over of extremely popular video game icons. Games that are inspired by it but want to make their own unique worlds and characters lean in on the gameplay side in an attempt to capture those players who value the mechanics of Smash Bros. and want more games that play like it.
But they always focus on the competitive side, which is far less popular than free-for-all with items in Smash.

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But they always focus on the competitive side, which is far less popular than free-for-all with items in Smash.
You make it sound like free-for-all with items is the only way casual players play Smash. Maybe they player free-for-all without items. They showed clips of that in the Rivals trailer. Casual players enjoy 1-on-1s too. Team Battles even. I don't understand why terms like "casual" and "competitive" are such a hangup for some people.

Last edited:

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Steam users get this for free or will it be a separate purchase with a maybe discount upgrade?

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Steam users get this for free or will it be a separate purchase with a maybe discount upgrade?
It's a free upgrade. Everyone who already bought the game will get everything.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that if you bought all the DLC characters before the DE update, you'll get "Infamous skins" for those characters.

Go to 5:11.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

youtu.be

Rivals of Aether Unofficial Workshop Direct 09/15/2020

Join the Rivals of Aether Discord: http://discord.gg/roaJoin the Rivals of Aether Extended Workshop Discord: https://discord.gg/QuCxbsPDirect Collection: htt...

Also this game had an unofficial "steam workshop" (not avaliable on switch) direct and they announced a bazilion of mods

Including:
Pokemon Stadium from Smash Meele
Snake (in a weird trailer featuring shadow the hedgehog)
Brazilian Memes
2B
Ganondorf
Reimu
Nakoruru
The Goose
An adventure mode creator

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I'm a little disappointed that during the stream he said there's no crossplay or account linking between Steam and Switch - I already own the game on Steam and was planning to get it on Switch, but now I'm a little more hesitant.

If I hear good things about the online on Switch I'll probably still jump in, but I'm going to wait and see for that since he confirmed the improvements to the netcode don't include rollback, and there's no wifi toggle or anything.

Still, Rivals is really great and anyone who doesn't already own it on Steam should definitely pick it up on Switch! It's probably my favorite platform fighter besides Melee (it's close with PM).

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love Rivals of Aether's GBA-era-ish spritework and general aesthetic, and the mods that follow the base game's style look great as a result.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Rivals of Aether rocks, it's clearly Smash-inspired but found a way to be its own thing rather than a clone. The effort that went into Shovel Knight's moveset, whew

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the update on Steam. It's out.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Rivals of Aether turned out to be a hit at the Smash weekly yesterday, seems we will add a regular RoA set up from now on

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Is this game any good?

I mean, I have SSBU on the Switch, should I even bother with this one lol? Or are they just too different and the comparison between them isn't fair?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game any good?

I mean, I have SSBU on the Switch, should I even bother with this one lol? Or are they just too different and the comparison between them isn't fair?

Basically yes if you're interested in the improving/competitive side of things. If that doesn't interest you, the game has some fun casual modes but they might not be worth it to you. The focus is definitely competition though.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
It was a bit of a hassle inputting my color codes from the PC version, but I'm so glad it's a feature. Got my favs looking wonderfully now :D

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Is this version coming to Xbox or what? I have no interest in this on PC or Switch (because Project M and SSBU being available to me in those platforms would mean the game wouldn't get the love it deserves) and the regular edition on Xbox seems like it's been neglected tremendously (not to mention this is a much better deal).

OP
OP
Giga Man

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this version coming to Xbox or what? I have no interest in this on PC or Switch (because Project M and SSBU being available to me in those platforms would mean the game wouldn't get the love it deserves) and the regular edition on Xbox seems like it's been neglected tremendously (not to mention this is a much better deal).
I have no idea. My guess is that the game wasn't successful enough on Xbox to warrant supporting it further, though that sucks for people who bought that version.

Regardless, I don't see what's wrong with getting it on the other platforms if you have them. I don't know what you mean by "it wouldn't get the love it deserves."

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I have no idea. My guess is that the game wasn't successful enough on Xbox to warrant supporting it further, though that sucks for people who bought that version.

Regardless, I don't see what's wrong with getting it on the other platforms if you have them. I don't know what you mean by "it wouldn't get the love it deserves."
I meant that I know my playgroup very well and if I choose to take my switch or PC that night we won't be playing Rivals since a couple of minutes in it'll devolve into "let's just play Smash instead", which won't happen on other platforms where Smash isn't available.

I don't really understand the thinking behind choosing Switch as the platform to bet on for this particular game. Wouldn't the PS4 make much more sense? Switch already has Smash, Roof Rage and Brawlout, why not go for the platform in which RoA would be the superior game on offer compared to everything else (no offense meant to Brawlout, but RoA is significantly better and clearly the uncontested runner-up in the genre after Smash as far as quality is concerned).