• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
All I have to do is obliterate (or kill the boss) with captain on monsoon and I have 100%d the game!

I haven't even touched that new game mode that gets harder as you beat it :/

Oct 28, 2017
Hows this as a single player game? Ive been interested in trying it, but its always struck me as a game meant to be played in co-op

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Well I'm absolutely awful at this game. Only managed to even get to the first teleporter a couple times on Rainstorm difficulty and finally dropped it to Drizzle and then only made it to the 2nd area. Yeah this might not be a great game for me, my skills seem to be very... lackluster. Fun to play but man is it punishing!

If you need a friend to play with, PM me. I just bought it today and had tons of fun.

Digitalcheetah
I played... 5-6 hours single-player today (and 2 sessions of multiplayer) and you can certainly play it by yourself and have lots of fun. I might prefer to play by myself because you can get all the items you want (on multiplayer you share chests in the world that give items).

My only criticism would be a lack of tutorial and the hard challenges to get new characters. Maybe I need to lower the difficulty...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized if I hadn't taken that Artifact teleporter... that I could have gone to the final zone and beat the game and thus getting both The Captain and the Artic Huntress skin... FML.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just started playing this on Xbox and am having a blast. I love how they adapted the first into 3D - SO well done!

Question though - I've unlocked two extra characters so far (Huntress and MUL-T) and both seemed to be significantly easier to play than the Commando.

With the Commando the game starts you with, I could get to the 3rd or 4th level on Normal difficulty a couple of times, but usually died around level 2 even when trying to go fast.

But the first time I played as the Huntress, I easily got to level 4-5. And the first time I played as MUL-T, I even got the deja vu achievement to loop all the way back to the beginning.

Is this something commonly agreed upon in the game, that these two characters are far easier to play as than the Commando? Or is there something about the Commando I'm missing? Or something else entirely?

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I just started playing this on Xbox and am having a blast. I love how they adapted the first into 3D - SO well done!

Question though - I've unlocked two extra characters so far (Huntress and MUL-T) and both seemed to be significantly easier to play than the Commando.

With the Commando the game starts you with, I could get to the 3rd or 4th level on Normal difficulty a couple of times, but usually died around level 2 even when trying to go fast.

But the first time I played as the Huntress, I easily got to level 4-5. And the first time I played as MUL-T, I even got the deja vu achievement to loop all the way back to the beginning.

Is this something commonly agreed upon in the game, that these two characters are far easier to play as than the Commando? Or is there something about the Commando I'm missing? Or something else entirely?
There's a lot of variance to the game and a lot of it can come down to luck of the draw on items on higher difficulties. I wouldn't say MUL-T is easier or harder than Commando, but Huntress is easier to play on the surface since she has auto-aim.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
With both the Huntress and MUL-T I just absolutely chew through bosses. That's without getting any upgrades specifically geared around damage. But with the Commando I might have a lot of offensive upgrades and even if bosses are relatively easy, they still take a good amount of time to defeat.

And that's across many Commando rounds - some of which I get to the boss really quickly when difficulty is still low, others when the difficulty got pretty high.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Huntress is my favorite due to the auto-aim and mobility. In a game like this where shit can get craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy that auto-aim makes it so I can focus far more on mobility which can be a life savor.

I tried out the Captain and found him to be a slow and weak mess so I dropped him quickly.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Hey, I'm in the credits of this! :>

Been playing this since EA launch last March and honestly my only complaint about this update is the lack of filled in lore for every single log, but I otherwise still really love this game, and being a part of the community. Huntress main for life.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Though the Huntress is a big double edge sword. She's fast and does a ton of damage.

But holy fuck the amount of times a run will end cause you get hit from one attack off screen is insane.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Played a few rounds of this yesterday, did not make it pas the third teleporter on my best attempt, couldn't find mobs in the third world until 2/3 minutes in .. which screwed my run cause I suddently got swarmed and my damage couldn't keep up with the difficulty increase that occured in that time.
Not having enough damage to kill things has been my biggest problem so far.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Though the Huntress is a big double edge sword. She's fast and does a ton of damage.

But holy fuck the amount of times a run will end cause you get hit from one attack off screen is insane.

Same issue with Artificer. They're glass cannons. The bell enemies are especially good at one shotting you

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Same issue with Artificer. They're glass cannons. The bell enemies are especially good at one shotting you

I was on my second loop on a Monsoon run and died due to Stone Golems.

Not one.

Not two.

Not three.

It was like fucking 10 that all spawned and all targeted me at the same time so I as dodged 1 and 2, 3 - 10 hit me and killed me.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can use that jelly boss AOE attack as well if you get it I think, does insane damage.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am considering this, how would you compare this to Dead Cells?
Risk of Rain and its sequel are both very different from Dead Cells. But they're both excellent in their own right.

Dead Cells has a massive component entirely about progression. Gradually unlocking new abilities, better equipment, new areas, and more.

Risk of Rain 2 is much more of a "pure" roguelike in that you start over from scratch each run, with minimal progression from run to run. It's not zero progression - you do unlock new characters and a few other abilities or artifacts you can unlock to apply to subsequent runs, but RoR is significantly less focused on that kind of progression.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
On my second run ever I spent like 30 minutes looking for the teleporter in the 3rd world.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
On my second run ever I spent like 30 minutes looking for the teleporter in the 3rd world.

The general consensus is to constantly be moving and scout the first minute or so in a level. Don't stop moving, constantly remember where key chests/terminals are. Never stop to fight mobs until they are grouped up and/or you need $.

Also, look for the red particles near an area, this is where the TP is.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
The general consensus is to constantly be moving and scout the first minute or so in a level. Don't stop moving, constantly remember where key chests/terminals are. Never stop to fight mobs until they are grouped up and/or you need $.

Also, look for the red particles near an area, this is where the TP is.

It was down a little ledge from an area that kind of jutted out of the ground on the edge of the map. I couldn't see it from anywhere other than the spot where I could access it so going to high ground in other parts of the map and looking around didn't help, and I didn't notice that path the first time.

Still, it was a decent learning experience. You do have to keep your eyes open. Thanks for the tip about the red particles.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Risk of Rain and its sequel are both very different from Dead Cells. But they're both excellent in their own right.

Dead Cells has a massive component entirely about progression. Gradually unlocking new abilities, better equipment, new areas, and more.

Risk of Rain 2 is much more of a "pure" roguelike in that you start over from scratch each run, with minimal progression from run to run. It's not zero progression - you do unlock new characters and a few other abilities or artifacts you can unlock to apply to subsequent runs, but RoR is significantly less focused on that kind of progression.

Thank you I might pick up on Steam before the promo sale ends.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, after doing a few more runs, the final stage is not great. It looks good and has a nice BGM but it's just way too empty and you're screwed if you don't have mobility items. Happened to me with Commando and I just had to fall into the void and hope the game would teleport me further into the level. Also, the
Warthog Run after the boss is not very interesting if you're just doing the same stage backwards.

You can use RoR2ModManager to download mods and create profiles. I like the base game as it is so I'm just running with QoL stuff. I have a friend who likes BiggerBazaar so I have that installed atm.

However, there's some really crazy stuff out there. Like Goku survivor levels of insanity. Beware though, if you're playing with others, all must have the same mods installed otherwise it won't establish a session.

I just got into the game and played 3 hours and really enjoy it. Is there any mods that improve the hit feedback when shooting. I may be jumping the gun as I haven't tried any other characters besides the main character but when using his weapon it feels like you're hitting enemies with rain drops.

OP
OP
Santos

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I just got into the game and played 3 hours and really enjoy it. Is there any mods that improve the hit feedback when shooting. I may be jumping the gun as I haven't tried any other characters besides the main character but when using his weapon it feels like you're hitting enemies with rain drops.

Hum, from a quick search I couldn't find anything on RoR2ModManager or by searching Google that would give better feedback or more visual flair to the hits. Yeah, the Commando is a really good and solid character but he is not one of my favorites to play as. He's fine if a bit boring. For hit feedback the Huntress' second "R" ability feels great to use and Artificier is a ton of fun if a bit out there and requiring good cooldown management. But overall, I know you said shooting but Acrid/Loader, despite being (mostly) melee, have some really satisfying abilities to use.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find an OT for this, is there not one? I've got the PS4 version coming tomorrow and I like what footage I've seen of this. I didn't realize consoles didn't have 1.0 yet, is there any reason to wait to start playing until that hits? Any sort of unlockable progress that will get reset, or major changes to get used to or anything?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find an OT for this, is there not one? I've got the PS4 version coming tomorrow and I like what footage I've seen of this. I didn't realize consoles didn't have 1.0 yet, is there any reason to wait to start playing until that hits? Any sort of unlockable progress that will get reset, or major changes to get used to or anything?

On PC progress hasn't been reset. The 1.0 update does introduce a final stage and boss, but you really don't lose anything from playing now. I had 150 hours before 1.0 dropped and its really just some tweaks here and there (plus one new character)

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
On PC progress hasn't been reset. The 1.0 update does introduce a final stage and boss, but you really don't lose anything from playing now. I had 150 hours before 1.0 dropped and its really just some tweaks here and there (plus one new character)

Great, thanks for the response!

Is there really no OT for this game anywhere? It seems to be fairly popular and I'm not finding anything.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
This game is dead on PS4, and too boring to play solo, I don't think this update will help.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
how's controller support on pc? Im interested on this. Also, is the community still alive here?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There's a lot of variance to the game and a lot of it can come down to luck of the draw on items on higher difficulties. I wouldn't say MUL-T is easier or harder than Commando, but Huntress is easier to play on the surface since she has auto-aim.

Auto aim two escapes and ability to shoot while sprinting. I don't think the auto aim is really a big factor, and if anything it makes it a bit harder for her to kill bosses than some characters because her basic attack is always targeting the wrong thing, but it's her mobility that makes her easy to play.

If you just keep sprinting, then most enemies can't hit you. Unless they're using some kind of hitscan, then they always miss, so that becomes a huge benefit for huntress. You don't even really need to learn all of the enemy attack patterns and such with her, since if you keep sprinting you'll evade most attacks anyway.

I think Mul-T is actually harder to learn than commando since he's so slow. He tends to get hit by everything so he's punished more on small mistakes.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Just bought RoR2 on PS4 and it's a blast! (Loved the original too.)
For some reason I was initially skeptical about "RoR...but 3D". It's amazing how well they've pulled it off.

Also had forgotten about those awesome item/monster lore entries. Can't get enough of 'em.

Looking forward to the update hitting consoles!

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Played this with a buddy on Series X. Ran great and was a good time! Highly recommend it. Seems more balanced than the first, but I think the first was a tighter and better experience. Also the final level was not great.

As an aside, very very small complaint: after beating it - no achievement? Very strange to not have achievements for beating the game. Just little incentives to challenge the higher difficulty.

Last edited: