• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
SUCH a great game. I never picked up on Risk of Rain 1 but 2 was instant love for me.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
Going to get this now (on Switch, I really wanted a portable version of this game!). I'll update if I can glean anything out of performance if I get a good run in.

EDIT:
---------------------------------

Played on Docked, Easy/Drizzle Difficulty. Had a roughly 60 min run, got to level 9.

I think the resolution is roughly 720p (again, docked) give or take. Aside from that, visuals look pretty on par to PC. The lower res can make it harder to see some chests though.

Framerate I think targets 60. Early on it feels pretty smooth... But later it gets pretty rough. The framerate definitely struggled on boss fights by level 4. And later, things like the war banner dropping or activating a portal caused hitching. Then, in general, by level 5 or 6 framerate just kept getting slower. Sometimes it would constantly hover in the 20s it felt like. If there was nothing around it would go back up to 40-50 on those later stages.

Here's a couple clips from portal bosses on level 8/9. (The clips look pretty grainy, I don't believe the game has dynamic res or anything, vid is just low bitrate)

Overall, the game is still enjoyable for me. Just beware if you are sensitive to this stuff.

Edit again, sounds like it's 30FPS not 60!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
"seems to run great". You can't really base that on the beginning of the game. Be an hour into it and see how it is running.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

I quickly captured a clip from single player, seems to run great.

You're like the only other person on this forum who's shared a Switch replay lol!

---------

Good God, this is out today???

Been hyped since I heard Part 2 was gonna be a thing, I honestly never expected it so soon.

Loved the first when I first heard about it when it came to Switch. My buddy loved it on Steam and recommended it. Very glad I listened to him.

If the music is anything near as good as in ROR1 I'll be a very happy boy!

Any word on crossplay??

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't they supposed to be waiting for the game to be feature complete before heading to consoles?

I wonder what changed or if I'm just misremembering.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get this on Switch but I can't play shooters on consoles.

Does it have motion controls?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think this game has great potential, but like I said in the revisit thread yesterday, first impressions matter a lot to me so I tend to opt out of games that note they're in early Access.

I hope that the 1.0/final release in Spring is great!

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The more I think about it, the more surprised I am they released this on consoles so early. I guess they've got Gearbox behind them but managing an early access release on a single platform sounds like a nightmare, and porting a completed game as a small team to three consoles at once sounds like a nightmare too, so I can't imagine how tricky it would be to pull off what they're doing. And if performance isn't currently great on the switch version, I do wonder how much of their resources they'll be able to dedicate toward optimizing it while they're still working on content and stuff....
Regardless, the game still looks wonderful, and I'll probably give it a go even at $30 once I've got a bit less I want to play.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It runs fine on PS4 Pro but I kinda hope they keep optimizing it so it'll eventually run at 60fps. Seems like they have it locked at 30 for now. Wouldn't mind an unlocked option down the line either.

Also they weren't kidding when they said it was basically the first game but in 3D. This game seems to be very much that. Lol it's pretty neat.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a lot of things that show they didnt port it well enough for consoles. One is menu selection is cumbersome. You have to move the reticule and it's so slippery. Why not let us use the dpad?
And then theres the aiming. Feels like it's hard to hit enemies, like you need a mouse to aim effectively. There needs to be some aim assist. And look sensitivity is either too fast or too slow.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I played it a bit last night and it seems fun on ps4 Pro. But disappointing it's 30fps though with such basic graphics.

Anyway I never played the first game and this seems like really hard? You get overwhelmed in the first five minutes. I have no idea where to go or what to do but shooting is fun. What does levelling up do?

I lasted like five minutes before being overwhelmed and dying on normal difficulty lol.

Do you get to keep anything from your runs? I hate it when they take everything away after a 40 min run feels like no progression is made.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yea I was pretty excited when I saw this had released on the PS4 and I thought that it must be out of early access on PC. Luckily I did some research first because I find it rather sneaky that there's no mention of early access on the PS store, even though this is the same version as the PC version. Full release is not even scheduled until next year. What's the deal with that?

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, seems kind of early for this to get console ports already. The idea of even trying to play Mercenary on a controller seems impossible to me but the other characters seem like they'd handle decently enough, will prob double dip to grab this on switch when I get a chance.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I played it a bit last night and it seems fun on ps4 Pro. But disappointing it's 30fps though with such basic graphics.

Anyway I never played the first game and this seems like really hard? You get overwhelmed in the first five minutes. I have no idea where to go or what to do but shooting is fun. What does levelling up do?

I lasted like five minutes before being overwhelmed and dying on normal difficulty lol.

Do you get to keep anything from your runs? I hate it when they take everything away after a 40 min run feels like no progression is made.
No shame in trying to play on easy first. That's how I usually learn how to play these type of games.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This game could use some more user friendly inputs for console when navigating menus. The curser is fine but let me exit a screen by pressing circle please.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, was just checking the Xbox store and was surprised to see both this AND RoR1 are now on Xbox. Looks like you can get both bundled for $34.99 USD.

What a happy surprise.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so tempted to just get this game now, instead of waiting for a sale. Any more impressions?

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Been enjoying the Switch release quite a bit. Some early impressions after unlocking a couple differing classes to play with (Commando, Mul-T, Huntress):

- Graphics are simple but have a very nice art style
- Some frame drops when things get super hectic but 30fps most of the time, I've not experienced anything game breaking
- Controls are solid and can be tuned via options for things like camera speed, button remapping, etc.
- AI engagements are fun with strategy available in every encounter
- Matchmaking is simple and could use a few more bits of info
- UI can be cumbersome in docked mode due to mouse pointer controls on small menu options
- Touch screen support for UI navigation is a plus for handheld mode
- Music is good, enjoy the style and pacing
- Classes offer unique gameplay from each other
- Combat is fun, simple and rewarding
- RNG for collectibles in the world creates unique builds for your class each game
- Cooperative Play is awesome when you can find people to play with
- Prismatic Trials are insanely hard but really show how crazy things can get and fast

Some minor concerns:
- No voice chat support
- UI needs to be scaled up, add support for proper controller/menu navigation ("B" button should back you out of a menu)
- Crossplay to increase player pool sizes

Overall, great game. Hope more people jump in.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Picked this game up n Xbox and I am super addicted to it. No rogue like got to me like this in a long time. Seriously considering to pick it up on the Switch as well, so I can continue to play in bed. 😅

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Playing as Mul-T on switch, how to swap between my two piece of equipment? I can't figure it out.

Edit: Nevermind, i have to swap weapon. That's pretty weird, so the first one I pick up can only be used if I use a certain weapon and the order can't be swapped?

Oct 25, 2017
Playing as Mul-T on switch, how to swap between my two piece of equipment? I can't figure it out.

Edit: Nevermind, i have to swap weapon. That's pretty weird, so the first one I pick up can only be used if I use a certain weapon and the order can't be swapped?
MUL-T has no 4th "ultimate" skill, instead it cycles between the two variants of the 1st "normal attack" skill. Not sure what you mean by pick up?

Edit-
Ah wait, you mean the usable items. Yeah, each one becomes part of a set with each attack.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
MUL-T has no 4th "ultimate" skill, instead it cycles between the two variants of the 1st "normal attack" skill. Not sure what you mean by pick up?
As MUL-T I can carry 2 equipment items activated on X, the R skill seemingly swaps both between my normal attacks AND my two equipment items. I'm guessing whichever weapon I have equipped when I grab equipment determines which slot the equipment goes in.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Risk of Rain 2 has online co-op, right? Has anyone tried it out on a console yet?

Yes, of course. Fortnite is probably the best example of this.
Yes, posted a Switch impressions post a few posts prior to yours. Really enjoying the game on Switch. Some minor issues but highly enjoyable.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Now that the game has been out for a while, how does it run on Switch? I know it's 30fps, but is it a stable enough frame rate in the later sections?

I loved Risk of Rain and am thinking of eventually picking up the RoR / RoR 2 on Switch once they go on sale again.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I love this game.

I was lukewarm on it at first. Spent a lot of time on normal just getting my face kicked in every goddamn teleporter event. The Wandering Vagrant always fucking my shit up.

Then I bumped it down to drizzle and it's amazing. Having gotten to the third world only once on normal, I'm now able to obliterate myself basically every other time now.

Very tempted to get it on the switch

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
Now that the game has been out for a while, how does it run on Switch? I know it's 30fps, but is it a stable enough frame rate in the later sections?

I loved Risk of Rain and am thinking of eventually picking up the RoR / RoR 2 on Switch once they go on sale again.
Performance gets a little better every patch (about once a month on console) but the switch definitely struggles at times. If you play solo, you'll probably get a smooth 30 fps through the first half hour or so depending on what on screen particles and effects you are triggering (high variance every run). In online multiplayer, it is probably never 30 fps, but generally stable until about the fourth stage onward.

In general, I have only reached a state that I would consider "unplayable" once or twice, both times in runs that were longer than an hour.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Picked up the PS4 version of Risk of Rain 2 when it was on sale.

I've put in probably ... 20 hours? I've unlocked all the characters except for the very last one.

I'm starting to think that the loadout challenges are probably too difficult for me. Complete 20 levels in one run? Complete 7 levels on Monsoon? Those seem absolutely out of reach to me.

I really like the game but I'm being faced with just, sucking at it.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
LOVED the first and finally grabbed 2 on Switch.

My GOD I am in love already! Some gameplay/impressions from my first gameplay with my brother last night.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Gyro makes a difference, damn. Playing with dual analog stick without gyro aiming is chaotic as hell

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Which version is the best looking to buy for PS4 Pro or Xbox One X?

Does the X run at 60fps?

If you want 60fps you have to buy the PC version.

I have no idea what the resolutions differences are between the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X versions. It's a very clean-looking game that supports a large number of enemies on the screen at once. It plays just fine on consoles but if you're looking for higher framerates than 30, get the PC version.

I own the PS4 and Steam versions of Risk of Rain 2. PS4 version has trophies and a bigger friend list for me to play co-op. PC version has mouse aiming and PC performance. I don't regret either purchase it's an outstanding game.

I'm assuming that Steam RoR2 will eventually get Steam achievement support, but it doesn't have it yet.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Thinking of buying this on the Switch, but:

- How is the sense of exploration?
- Is the MP drop-in/drop-out?
- Easy to find other players?
- Is it fun in the long run?

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I own the PS4 and Steam versions of Risk of Rain 2. PS4 version has trophies and a bigger friend list for me to play co-op.

I'm looking to grab the PS4 version for the missus and I to play as it is currently discounted on the store. Is performance on PS4 Pro locked 30FPS or are there times when it drops below that? Hoping for a smooth experience.