• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Well?

I like -

Mercenary
BjzBzM4.jpg

Huntress
1WX3uvk.jpg

Acrid
B8kuCHO.png

And maybe my favourite, Artificer
ymcFqE6.jpg

Commando and Loader are ok. MUL-T is trash.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i like the robot cause i make him shoot fast n then stack on hit type items on 'em and then just go brrr

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Artificer with the move that launches her into the air instead of the flamethrower is probably my favorite character. They just did a really great job with the alternate load outs in general. Oh yeah, Huntress with her alternate primary fire and special is amazing too

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Huntress. The mobility/teleport and the lock on makes her my go to. I like some of the others too but always end up going back to Huntress. Stack some Hopoo Feathers and Energy Drinks on her and she's bouncing all over the map at warp speed. It's great.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I love using the Huntress

General question for folks on Risk of Rain 2 - I've played a bunch of the game and on Easy difficulty I got to the ending recently introduced in the latest patch for consoles.

But.....what should I do now? Unlike other roguelikes like Hades or Dead Cells, Risk of Rain 2 doesn't really hold your hand in discovering more content or doing more.

What do other folks do? Just focus on challenges the UI shows you to unlock characters? Dive into wikis to figure out what to do?

It seems like I've already seen most of what the game has to show me in terms of environments and enemies, but I know that can't actually be the case. It also seems like I've seen most of the powerups, even though I'm sure there are many more to discover.

The thing is, while characters show you in the UI what you need to do to unlock them, it's a total mystery to me how I should unlock more drops to be available on future runs.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Huntress, Captain and Mercenary - though merc has been nerfed enough.

If you guys don't already - should follow WoolieGaming for some good RoR2 content. He recently 'beat' Eclipse 8 for all survivors.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Was Huntress in RoR1, still Huntress in RoR2, nothing like bouncing around the whole map sniping everybody

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017

General question for folks on Risk of Rain 2 - I've played a bunch of the game and on Easy difficulty I got to the ending recently introduced in the latest patch for consoles.

But.....what should I do now? Unlike other roguelikes like Hades or Dead Cells, Risk of Rain 2 doesn't really hold your hand in discovering more content or doing more.

What do other folks do? Just focus on challenges the UI shows you to unlock characters? Dive into wikis to figure out what to do?

It seems like I've already seen most of what the game has to show me in terms of environments and enemies, but I know that can't actually be the case. It also seems like I've seen most of the powerups, even though I'm sure there are many more to discover.

The thing is, while characters show you in the UI what you need to do to unlock them, it's a total mystery to me how I should unlock more drops to be available on future runs.
If you look through the main menu, the items that are unlockable via achievements will have the requirement listed (egs. complete 20 levels, kill x enemies, etc). The items that are just shadows with no description or something like "you have not unlocked this yet" just mean you haven't rolled the item yet in a run, but aren't locked from your item pool in anyway, iirc.

There are also artifact codes, which unlock gamegenie hacks that you can use to mod your runs. These are scattered throughout the game and there is very little hand holding in that. You can ask folks for help or consult the wiki for solutions.

Back to the topic, I know she breaks the game balance in a lot of ways, but Loader is the most fun for me, and then Artificer. Acrid was my favorite character in the 2D original but her kit didn't translate as fun in the sequel.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe some other loadouts help but I sometimes dislike Huntress when fighting Wandering Vagrants lol. If cover from. their AOE thing is out of range of your attack then it's a bit lame.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Alright just did a couple of runs with Captain. Kind of fun but also kind of plain.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

I think the first step is unlocking all characters (which is not easy). I could actually not beat the final boss without cheesing it haha.

After that, I discovered there's a bunch of Mods to unlock that change the runs entirely. Those were really fun to unlock. What I would recommend doing is creating an online lobby (or joining one) and asking for help to unlock mods. I discovered a bunch of crazy stuff that extended the game for a few days. It was also really fun to interact with people.

Now my goal is to beat the boss without "cheating". I'll try it next time the game releases the patch with the new survivor.

Drops are just by luck as far as I'm aware. Once you drop them in a run they will show up in the game.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Artificer, not the best character to handle mobs (getting a black hole item is always a great idea), but if you're playing co-op they'll compliment the team nicely. You can easily set yourself up with mobility if you want to guarantee yourself secret shop access, they have a great nuke and a pretty slick alternate skin.

f059e99948f84f2b9506bd661b6f17f7.jpg

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Engineer is easy mode. Get the item that heals you for standing still and put your turrets close together so their healing AOEs overlap and heal each other. Then grab whatever offensive abilities you can. Chain lightning, crit, explosion on death, etc and throw down your bubble. Sit back and you can go indefinitely

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Probably Huntress/Mercenary (anime badasses) or Loader (one punch spiderman). Or Captain. Or Artificer. Bah they're all so much fun depending on the mood I like switching things up.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think the first step is unlocking all characters (which is not easy). I could actually not beat the final boss without cheesing it haha.
What did you do? The second time I beat the boss I had both the friendly fire and 'spawn more enemies with less health' artifacts on, which spawns multiple bosses. They started infighting and hammering each other so I didn't really do anything lol.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
What did you do? The second time I beat the boss I had both the friendly fire and 'spawn more enemies with less health' artifacts on, which spawns multiple bosses. They started infighting and hammering each other so I didn't really do anything lol.

I went to that secret cave where you get the space challenges (where you have to find each orb and stay inside it while fighting enemies and you lose health outside it) and it seems time doesn't run there. So I could collect infinite items there. Since I was playing as the turret guy all I had to do before the Boss final phase (where he takes your items away) is put turrets down.

Still the only time I have beaten the boss. I still don't have those two artifacts, those seem like a good idea.
My real question is how you beat the boss without artifacts... or "cheating" it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Artifact runs are dumb / fun as hell

I went to that secret cave where you get the space challenges (where you have to find each orb and stay inside it while fighting enemies and you lose health outside it) and it seems time doesn't run there. So I could collect infinite items there. Since I was playing as the turret guy all I had to do before the Boss final phase (where he takes your items away) is put turrets down.

Still the only time I have beaten the boss. I still don't have those two artifacts, those seem like a good idea.
My real question is how you beat the boss without artifacts... or "cheating" it.
That doesn't sound that cheesy. You could only get so many items during that stage so whatever!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Artifact runs are dumb / fun as hell

That doesn't sound that cheesy. You could only get so many items during that stage so whatever!

No, you can get infinite items. What you do is that you don't stay INSIDE the bubble at the last bubble. Most of the time you will have enough healing to survive the space.
Also, the place where you posted the gif is a great example (even if it doesn't work as well). Just don't grab the objective thing and enemies will keep spawning. Basically infinite items without time going forward.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
No, you can get infinite items. What you do is that you don't stay INSIDE the bubble at the last bubble. Most of the time you will have enough healing to survive the space.
Also, the place where you posted the gif is a great example (even if it doesn't work as well). Just don't grab the objective thing and enemies will keep spawning. Basically infinite items without time going forward.
Oh I see. That sounds kind of boring if you waited for THAT many items though lol.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Acrid, although I'm bad with him and try to melee too much.

Loader is pure fun.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
In an hour or so run I almost out damaged my friend's Engineer in one punch with Loader, so it's hard to not keep chasing after that again.

But I also playing the characters with built in dots cause I like the early Death Mark.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Oh I see. That sounds kind of boring if you waited for THAT many items though lol.

Not really, the last stage spawns an enormous number of enemies (and I was playing with someone else) and the items drop pretty frequently. In 10min or less you could be extremely overpowered. I can't find any youtube videos on it but you should give it a try and see.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not really, the last stage spawns an enormous number of enemies (and I was playing with someone else) and the items drop pretty frequently. In 10min or less you could be extremely overpowered. I can't find any youtube videos on it but you should give it a try and see.
I've done the stage multiple times with tta artifact, though alone and always earlier on in a run. You do get a lot of items but I've never stalled it out like you have though. I like that artifact in general though so I like farming the normal stages for items.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I solely played Mercenary in Risk of Rain 1 when I finally unlocked them but dang if the Engineer Mushroom build isn't the laziest and easiest build for me. I just let my friends do all the lifting I just sorta avoid getting hit and protect my turrets.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I need to unlock more loadout options. Lots of the ones I have now I feel are kind of whatever. The artificer ones seem a bit worse to me. Acrid blight is also meh.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
By the end of my time unlocking everything, Artificer with the jumpy move. Just flying around levels forever raining spells down on dudes.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Sword Boi

A bit off topic, but as much as I love the gameplay, the music and general atmosphere of the game are so oppressing and solemn that the game feels a bit hard to play.

I can't be the only one who feels like that, right?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So far, the Loader is definitely my favorite to play as and (or perhaps because she) feels like the one I tend to do the best and go the furthest with. Destroying a magma worm in two punches is still my most satisfying moment of the game.

Second place is probably Engineer, and after that I'm really not sure. Rex intrigues me, though I'm not very good with it yet.