• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when was it off for women to use backpacks? It's a friggin' backpack!

It still is. See this excerpt from the OP's article for example:

Laura Wolf, who works at the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C., says several men have made jokes about whether she's off to a camping trip. "It's ridiculous to me because many men use full-sized backpacks that could actually hold camping gear," she wrote to me. Terese Souders told me she was asked by a co-worker if she was Dora the Explorer, patron saint of lady backpackers.

Oct 25, 2017
I work from home half the time, so I absolutely use a backpack to tote my laptop and whatever else I need. I'm definitely the only woman on my team who uses one, though. All the other women use purses and then a separate bag for their laptop, which makes zero sense to me. I love my backpack and I actually get compliments on it all the time lol.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
My last job must have been an exception because most of the women came in with backpacks. Laptops in purses were much more rare, and was kind of looked at as being incredibly inconvenient.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every woman (and man) would benefit from a backpack or something to offset the strain of weighing down one side of your body for a long period of time

Yeah, pretty sure we've traced my arm/groin/leg pain to my really heavy bag. Thinking of getting something canvas and smaller to force me to carry only essentials.

Or just get a backpack.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My last job must have been an exception because most of the women came in with backpacks. Laptops in purses were much more rare, and was kind of looked at as being incredibly inconvenient.
I see very few women wearing handbags on their elbow anymore unless they literally have nothing heavy inside or the bag is an actual piece of fashion they want to show off.
Woman-carrying-elegant-handbag-on-the-street-dec13-870x580.jpg

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Are handbags called purses in the US? What do they call a purse then? (I'm referring to the UK word for a female equivalent of a wallet)

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
As a guy, I've always been mad confused by purses, high heels and other impractical "female" things like lack of pockets on clothing. Almost a bit of a cringe to say it but it all feels like female designed items are built to oppress, rather than to facilitate ease of use.

I just can't imagine having to run about with my hands full of some dumb bag when I could just wear it on my back, or on a strap.

Me too

My wifes purse/handbag is MASSIVE

Its easily the same size as a school backpack

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if you want to lug a massive backpack around, but for the love of all that is holy, FUCKING TAKE IT OFF ON PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

You'd swear all these fucks are fucking attached to them as they try to squeeze through crowded train cars.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is a professional up London and has always used a backpack. It's bigger and more practical so why wouldn't you?!

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
The history or purses and even pockets are all imbedded with sexism. High heels were actually shoes for horseback archers and were later adopted by male aristocracy.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see how a backpack is more functional, other than more storage. Your stuff is more at risk of theft because you can't see it, and they're really annoying to navigate around in tight spaces. Even as a guy I prefer messenger bags.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see how a backpack is more functional, other than more storage. Your stuff is more at risk of theft because you can't see it, and they're really annoying to navigate around in tight spaces. Even as a guy I prefer messenger bags.

Storage is a HUGE plus.

And they're easy to navigate and to avoid theft in tight spaces and transport as long as you just take them off and hold them by hand (or put them on the ground). Messenger bags are awful for your back and spine, and some of them can ruin your pants with the constant friction.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I stand in solidarity with fellow professional backpack wearers.

Messenger bags, unfortunately, are terrible for shoulders and necks.

Jul 18, 2018
A lot of higer end backpacks have a net back
DeuterRaceAirLite2.jpg
Mmmhm will have to look into those.

I'm assuming "back pack" is just a catchall. I use a leather briefcase. Most of my associates use leather or canvas messenger bags. My wife currently just uses a large tote.
Yea i use a more business oriented messenger bag. I travel via train into the city with it, only real pain is when i have to lug a lot of stuff so i usually leave lot of stuff back at work. However i remember using these some time back and got heckled for using one, guess the stigma was a little different. Nowadays everyone has one

Oct 28, 2017

How you gonna miss a noisy as fuck zip going off behind you if someone is trying to pick your backpack?

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
Concerning light carry bags, I actually own one of these.
standard_kodiak_ukoala_bag_800x.jpg

The waist strap fits nicely in the belt loops on my trousers, and you can use the waist strap as a shoulder strap if need be, either messenger style or just on one side. Fits everything I'd need, like my phone, passport, travel passes, etc. I use mine when on holiday, works great. Leaves my hands completely free and its almost like it isn't even there.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
What's the rationale for women's clothes not having pockets or functional pockets? Style or something?

If a pocket is just a line sewn on the garment, it lays flat, so you look thinner. If it's an actual pocket, it protrudes slightly and "breaks the line of the garment," meaning they think it makes women look too fat to have a bit of fabric stick out away from their body at all. It's a fashion thing that almost no woman has ever cared about outside of a runway but all are subjected to when purchasing.

I've given up on it entirely and buy men's jeans, which aren't a perfect fit but are actually closer to my body type -- tall and lean -- than a lot of women's jeans since they come in two measurement sizes instead of one and most importantly have pockets.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not hard at all. You're in a crowded, noisy place. You've got other things on your mind like where you're going.

I dunno about that. I'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings, and the streets here aren't so crowded as to have to worry about pickpocketing. Pretty sure I'd feel or hear someone tugging at my backpack if they tried. Plus, I've got a hood on mine you need to lift to be able to reach the zips and drawstrings.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I love my backpack and bring it in to work everyday, but my workplace is very casual. I just think it's more practical than any of the alternatives considering I'm always carrying around a work laptop, a tablet, a water bottle, and everything else that would have been in my purse like wallet, car keys, makeup, etc.