• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Curious, would married/coupled folks ever take their single friend in their household as a roommate in their golden years?

Cause honestly, that's gonna need to happen for many sadly.

Would financially secure single people do that for their less stable single friends?

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you're both old lol.

But the extra person is another person to share income, resources, and so on. Someone to visit you at the hospital and you them.

Again, we really need to get away from this romantic obsession. Yes, marry for love, but do you think those lovey dovey feeling last forever? Love matures.

Marriage for love is a new thing. Marriage was for survival for many of our ancestors.

This thread seems to be full of people in their 20/30s thinking life just happens to you. Plan, baby, plan. Whatever choices you make, plan for those choices.

Even a lot of married people don't plan tbh. If you can't support yourself single later on in life what happens if you get divorced? That arguably can be worse, and a lot of married folks in my experience don't build support systems outside of their family. So it's a total shock when they are back single, and maybe they longer have the earning potential they did in their younger years not to mention health issues. I sure wouldn't want to have to rely on my kids either for care, that puts a huge burden on them.

I agree with what you are saying about planning, just that it's not apppliable only to single people.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Even a lot of married people don't plan tbh. If you can't support yourself single later on in life what happens if you get divorced? That arguably can be worse, and a lot of married folks in my experience don't build support systems outside of their family. So it's a total shock when they are back single, and maybe they longer have the earning potential they did in their younger years not to mention health issues. I sure wouldn't want to have to rely on my kids either for care, that puts a huge burden on them.

I agree with what you are saying about planning, just that it's not apppliable only to single people.
Oh I agree there.

Plan for everything. Why do you think rich people get prenups?

I'm not arguing for prenups, I'm arguing for planning and planning for contingencies.

At the same time, would you rather have adult children that can visit you in the hospital in the case of a health event, or no one?

The reason I bang this drum is because I've seen it in my family. It's not pretty. When you're young are blinded to all this.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Oh I agree.

But you're talking about a cultural massive change. In the meantime, we need to plan for the current reality.

American is full of people that just want to be left alone. That's the American ethos. "Get off my lawn" lol. We're isolated and we love it--sadly.

NIMBYism is a political outgrowth of this. "We need homeless shelters, but not here"

Our anti-social priorities are the primary reason the US is deteriorating. We can't solve problems because we are decreasingly able to even talk to each other. It's difficult to escape it because like you said even our neighborhoods are built to encourage it.

Our culture is trash and until/unless it changes the best bet is to rebel against it in whatever way you can. Have platonic lifelong roommates, embrace inter-generational living, attempt to buy/rent places close to friends/family. Fight for more free time to spend with other people and be able to share hobbies with them. Quit living how our society expects you to live, it's a game that is designed to lead you to an early grave penniless and miserable.

I don't care how ugly, untalented, or worthless you think you are. If you are kind to others you deserve a good life and there are people out there who would come to care for you. Our society is just setup to make it hard for us to find each other.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
-you find a multi family that needs work
-use an FHA loan that needs only 3% down
-rent out the other units and live in the shitty one
-use the rents to pay the mortgage to live for free
-save the rent you would be paying for a downpayment to buy a nice house and rent out the rundown multi family completely or fix it up and sell it for profits
-use the multi family rents/profit to pay for your nice house

done, now it's possible

It's just that easy!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Funnily enough, my gay friends and me (we're genuinely close and have been for years) keep talking about that retirement home we should go to together when we are old. Obviously with a hot nurse, but hey. Not the worst thought but I'd be curious if this just stays sort of an empty slogan or whether this kind of assisted living will ever really be a thing. In practice most likely somebody of us is going to be sick before the others, and we'll be by ourselves. Knowing that we won't likely have kids ever, I'm not sure if heterosexual friends amongst them would have this type of conversation at all though? I definitely think the fast-ageing (single) society as a whole has not really addressed what's coming at them even remotely. But that doesn't mean we should all marry because of that.

I don't view the topic through this lens at all though, it's about genuine happiness in life for me, and if there is a person who can bring that to me and vice-versa. Such a real bond also creates the willingness to care for each other, if possible, I think.

Last edited:

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's wrong to marry someone just to have an elderly caretaker.
Agreed, and it's a weird vibe to get from some of the posts here. We all should have an eye towards the future, but getting married just to have someone to care for you is not going to end well. The caretaking falls out of the bonds of a good relationship, which can be hard to do for many people. And even if you're great at relationships, the other person can change their mind at any point. It happened to my marriage (I'm not saying I'm great at relationships, but I'm not the one who threw in the towel).

Heck, look at Newt Gingrich who left his first wife after she got cancer. "Geez, you're no fun now. See ya." There are the people who remain committed to their spouses as well, but none of it is a guarantee, and I'd argue it's just as much of a crap shoot as being single.

Getting married, having a kid, and getting divorced has left me in a worse situation than if I had simply been single all along. Sure, I got the benefit of sharing rent/utilities while coupled, but being the primary wage earner meant that I lost more during the divorce, and child support cuts into my ability to save compared to someone who was single all along.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The housing market is an interesting example of single people getting dunked on in recent times.

Back in the day of the sole-earner nuclear family a man who was single had higher purchasing power since he didn't have any dependents to worry about. Now that most families are dual-income, a single man has to earn 50% to 100% more in order to compete for housing. Kids are still an expense, and women statistically earn less, but dual-income still dramatically increases financial power.

It's part of the reason the market in NA has gone up so much, and it's forcing more people to take on roommates/tenants. I have a great job, but I'm still going to get outbid by a family where the earners individually make less.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey look, it's me. I can't afford a house. I also can't do all the expected 'upkeep' of my place either.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If social security runs out and retirement savings are impossible due to income inequality, stagnating wages, living paycheck to paycheck, one illness/injury away from bankruptcy, student loan debt avalanche then how will an aging childless single population be taken care of? asked the billionaire as he laughed sipping champagne in his west New Mexico 40 acre compound

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, and it's a weird vibe to get from some of the posts here. We all should have an eye towards the future, but getting married just to have someone to care for you is not going to end well. The caretaking falls out of the bonds of a good relationship, which can be hard to do for many people. And even if you're great at relationships, the other person can change their mind at any point. It happened to my marriage (I'm not saying I'm great at relationships, but I'm not the one who threw in the towel).

Heck, look at Newt Gingrich who left his first wife after she got cancer. "Geez, you're no fun now. See ya." There are the people who remain committed to their spouses as well, but none of it is a guarantee, and I'd argue it's just as much of a crap shoot as being single.

Getting married, having a kid, and getting divorced has left me in a worse situation than if I had simply been single all along. Sure, I got the benefit of sharing rent/utilities while coupled, but being the primary wage earner meant that I lost more during the divorce, and child support cuts into my ability to save compared to someone who was single all along.
Caretalking is not the primary reason for marriage. I agree.

It's a side benefit. A big one.

And I'm not talking about live-in nurse. That's not fair obviously. I'm talking about things like hospital visits, extra income if someone gets laid off/fired, emotional support in tough times.

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed in life and divorce laws are another can of worms. But human beings are communal creatures. We thrive in community.

Currently, in the West, that is set to the nuclear family, which is not resilient, but it's more resilient than being single, based on our laws and culture.

We don't expect kids to go through their lives alone. They need support systems. Same with adults.

If you don't have a spouse and don't earn enough, living alone may be a wise strategy long term.

Mar 11, 2020
Ugh it's so fucking depressing. I wouldn't be out of parents house if i wasn't partnered. And we had to get married before i wanted to with no wedding just to get me on good insurance cause my job's insurance is ass. I have depression and every day cry inside that i cannot afford a house or afford to have a kid which is something i've wanted for a long time and unfortunately being gay means no happy accidents :(

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
-you find a multi family that needs work
-use an FHA loan that needs only 3% down
-rent out the other units and live in the shitty one
-use the rents to pay the mortgage to live for free
-save the rent you would be paying for a downpayment to buy a nice house and rent out the rundown multi family completely or fix it up and sell it for profits
-use the multi family rents/profit to pay for your nice house

done, now it's possible

This post reminded me of this ridiculous TikTok haha

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Curious, would married/coupled folks ever take their single friend in their household as a roommate in their golden years?

Would financially secure single people do that for their less stable single friends?

I actually do know one friend like that, luckily (barring any big changes in the future).

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I'd totally let a single friend live with my wife and I. It's why we bought a place with an apartment over the garage. We want to be able to support friends and family when they need it.

ThatBigDude

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
So your solution to not having enough money to buy a house is to get a second job and buy a bigger house?

Mortgage insurance, higher loan amount and paying to renovate/upgrade doesn't exactly make your idea "easy way to live rent free". It's a lot of work and filled with financial risk.
Also, extort others in your same situation so that you are no longer in that situation. Seems like that will work well for everyone going forward. i just want to buy a small house without putting other families and people in a debt hole.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I was married for 14 years (got married super-young like you) and absolutely HATED being single at first. One of my friends was like "I'm so jealous, you'll love being single" and I couldn't understand it, all I wanted was someone to be in my life. The thing is, I was in an awful space mentally, totally miserable and feeling the world was at an end. Then I remembered a statement someone said: "Would you date yourself?" And it made me realise that I needed to work on myself, fix my issues before I could emerge and be ready to be loved. And that's what I did, through trials and tribulations, I worked on myself and ended up being okay with myself and not feeling desperate for anyone. It was only then that I started dating because I didn't need to, I didn't need someone to make me happy which made all the difference.

Hopefully you can find the path to happiness but make sure you start with yourself.

Thank you for this man. That's something I know I should be doing, and I just need to get on it already. There's a lot of things I know I need to work on.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, interesting. What qualifies it in those cases? In NZ, any couple can be defined as in a de-facto relationship based on a number of inter-related factors i.e. length of time, living conditions, children, financial dependency etc. Just interested now that I live in the US.

Description from MoJ: https://www.justice.govt.nz/family/...onship-property/relationships-covered-by-law/
Its very specific in the individual states where it technically still exists to the point where it doesn't exist.

US federal tax benefits are only allowed for couples married in a state recognized manner. In common law states that would require some sort of a recording, which effectively certifies.

Realistically anyone doing a 'common law' thing these days in the US aren't trying to take advantage of any state or federal benefits, so it doesn't become an issue until a death or separation. Even then, I wager courts are inclined to find against declaring a common law marriage exists. In short, states have reasonable rules to create a marriage, so courts favor only applying divorce/estate rules to "proper" marriages.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 35 and have never really even dated (well, been on a couple of first dates but never made it to a second) but own my house outright. So I have that at least. But yeah, besides just the loneliness, there are so many little things that make being single difficult at times. Even down to "gee I sure wish I had an extra set of hands for this small task that isn't worth trying to get someone to come over and help me with."

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 35 and have never really even dated (well, been on a couple of first dates but never made it to a second) but own my house outright. So I have that at least. But yeah, besides just the loneliness, there are so many little things that make being single difficult at times. Even down to "gee I sure wish I had an extra set of hands for this small task that isn't worth trying to get someone to come over and help me with."
Grocery shopping, cleaning, shuffling kids to activities, doctor appointments, etc. Healthy couples negotiate who owns these tasks and sometimes covers for the other in times of need.

When you don't have that division of domestic labor, it becomes hard.

Life is just harder alone.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I completely understand why research into stuff like this is performed, but it's so easy to fall into "doom and gloom" as someone who fits that demographic. To the rest of SingleEra, just remember that we're not a statistic; just try and live your best life and don't feel negative emotions just because society tells you you should feel that way (this is also a message to myself haha). At the same time, it's important to understand what you want. I'm not saying give up on dating but any means, especially if that's something you desire, but don't feel pressured by other factors like this article - there's a million other variables that will affect how things turn out.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Currently living the single life. I'm fine but there's no way I can buy a place to live without a second income.

Oct 29, 2017
This post reminded me of this ridiculous TikTok haha

TWO full time jobs, working fast food?

16+ hours a day working fast food, then however many minutes/hours it takes to commute to and from both and home, getting ready, feeding yourself, etc, etc, etc leaves absolutely no room for a little thing called sleep. It also doesn't account for illness or other life problems, which are bound to happen way sooner rather than later with that kind of life.

That guy better be trolling.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Bought my own place after saving assiduously, single AF, loving life.

Well I mean I obsessively comb dating apps, but that's the 21st century human condition. Don't worry about me researchers, I'm good.

Oct 28, 2017
my family is full of messy divorces and bad blood, especially between my parents. my dad took the car, TV, everything when he abandoned us, and forced my mum to sell the house making us temporarily homeless. I know it's irrational, but the whole thing has really scared me off marriage - it's really important to me that I find stability on my own
Divorce can cause a lot of trauma especially when it comes to relationships.
My parents divorce was very messy as well an I feel similar about marriage

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Grocery shopping, cleaning, shuffling kids to activities, doctor appointments, etc. Healthy couples negotiate who owns these tasks and sometimes covers for the other in times of need.

When you don't have that division of domestic labor, it becomes hard.

Life is just harder alone.
I disagree here, especially with your final sentence. Some things are easier, some thing are harder, I don't think you As someone who is single:
- I don't have to have debates about where/what to eat
- I do all of my own cleaning, but there's less to clean since I'm not cleaning up after a partner.
- I take myself to appointments, but I also don't have to take my partner to their appointments
- I can schedule my time the way I want to, without dealing to take my partner's desires into account (in-laws, their annoying friend's party, etc)
- I can choose how I spend/save income

But,
- I don't have a person to back me up in case of a serious problem (job loss, serious health issue, etc)
- Cost of living is higher since those costs don't scale linearly as you add more people.
- Lack of dedicated companionship can be frustrating at times.

Some thing are harder alone, for sure - but some things are harder as a couple.

Personally, I loved living in dorms in college, and I see an assisted living facility similar to that as the way to go as I get older. Someplace where I can have my own room/suite in a building with other people my age. I'd still want to be able to do my own thing, but with the benefit of other people around that I could socialize with.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Sounds stupid but get a dog. It's a bandaid but at least I have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. She makes getting home from work suck a little less.

(Though I've also been pining for the same person for the last 7 years, and for some reason not ready to let them go yet.)

7 years? That sounds brutal. Do you have to see this person regularly or something?

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree here, especially with your final sentence. Some things are easier, some thing are harder, I don't think you As someone who is single:
- I don't have to have debates about where/what to eat
- I do all of my own cleaning, but there's less to clean since I'm not cleaning up after a partner.
- I take myself to appointments, but I also don't have to take my partner to their appointments
- I can schedule my time the way I want to, without dealing to take my partner's desires into account (in-laws, their annoying friend's party, etc)
- I can choose how I spend/save income

But,
- I don't have a person to back me up in case of a serious problem (job loss, serious health issue, etc)
- Cost of living is higher since those costs don't scale linearly as you add more people.
- Lack of dedicated companionship can be frustrating at times.

Some thing are harder alone, for sure - but some things are harder as a couple.

Personally, I loved living in dorms in college, and I see an assisted living facility similar to that as the way to go as I get older. Someplace where I can have my own room/suite in a building with other people my age. I'd still want to be able to do my own thing, but with the benefit of other people around that I could socialize with.
Yeah, I agree.

I'm not anti being single. Just if you go that route, plan for it.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017

This is very likely to happen to me. I can't really save and my disability check doesn't go very far. And who knows if it'll even exist in the future? I have a boyfriend but don't know how long he'll be on this ride with me and we can never marry because I'll lose my benefits. Fortunately, my best friend and his wife are preparing their future with me in mind. It's humbling and moving, especially given my health issues.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

I would. I'm taking over my disabled brother in the next few years. And if any of my friends needed to integrate with the family, then so be it. I've got a big empty house and wouldn't mind having some additional people around to chill with. Husband and I talk about how nice a thruple would be for 3 incomes no children, but friends who need us would be cool too.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

I think single people are gonna be more likely to end up being close to family. If I don't get married (which, I think is likely, even tho I'm in a relationship right now) I'm probably going to be very involved in the lives of my sisters' children.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I think single people are gonna be more likely to end up being close to family. If I don't get married (which, I think is likely, even tho I'm in a relationship right now) I'm probably going to be very involved in the lives of my sisters' children.
What about people without siblings and with parents deceased?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
What about people without siblings and with parents deceased?

That's harder and I imagine they'd be close with their friends or maybe cousins/other family members, but the number of only children falls somewhere between 11% and 22%, and honestly anecdotally that number still seems high. The percentage of single only children probably isn't super high for now.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I always find these articles kind of cute in the current macro-scale state of the world. Aren't most of these worries just going to drop out of the realm of consideration when climate catastrophe just takes over major sectors of the world? "Normal" life will be impossible for such a large swath of people, this comparison to the "normal" people are being pushed away from will look like nothing to even entertain when the depths of danger and damage are seen directly. We're really talking and worrying about employment?
This. I think about this all the time. We don't have our priorities straight.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Worst part I've lived about being single was getting side-eyed for not accepting to take more hours to allow married folks and parents to spend more time with their families.

And obviously not being able to buy a house as easily as a couple with two salaries. But I don,t want to live with anyone else so.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Is their a way to get married to someone that is okay with not talking about anything but household chores and doesnt want kids and is okay with 0 romance? Like a lifelong-roomate you barely interact with and whose gaze you avoid in the mornings when you leave your room for 10 seconds to quickly eat?

Just get married and wait five years.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This. I think about this all the time. We don't have our priorities straight.
Well things are only going to be harder for single people once shit really starts to hit the fan, all of the things this article brings up will be harder for single adults than married adults. The relative benefits of marriage will only grow while one would imagine the desire to marry will steadily continue to fall.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Move to a state where they actually pay teachers well.

Ironically enough, the only thing keeping me here in Houston is my job. I actually make a good amount (for a teacher anyway...) when adjusted for my area's cost of living, but I hope to be out the US and teaching entirely within the next 4-5 years (I want to make the jump to Ed Tech or Curriculum Design) anyway.

public-1521670117.jpg

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
That's harder and I imagine they'd be close with their friends or maybe cousins/other family members, but the number of only children falls somewhere between 11% and 22%, and honestly anecdotally that number still seems high. The percentage of single only children probably isn't super high for now.

I'm one of these chosen unlucky losers. Only child, family all moved out of state, and single. As someone posted above, "guess I'll die?"