• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Once upon a time during X360/PS3 generation Ubisoft was bit struggling but around the middle of that console generation they kinda found their groove and overall started offering diverse lineup of good and interesting games. They did went bit overboard with copy/paste mechanics in their games (that is when Ubisoft The Gem term was born) but they offered enough variety betwen their smaller initiatives and big games. They had slight hiccup at the end of the X360/PS3 generation with introduction of Online Passes for used games but if i remember correctly they were one of the first publishers to drop it when PS4/X1 arrived.

And since the start of PS4/X1 era up to the mid of that generation Ubisoft was on upward trend. Between lot's of new IPs, long support for their games and great lineup, diversity and overall good quality of games they were one of the best publishers out there. But then around that PS4/X1 mid gen they started to go down fast. They started to make same games again, they dropped their smaller projects, their projects started entering dev hell and talent started leaving. And by the end of the generation their products were starting to get released with more and more issues culminating with Ghost Recon Breakpoint (to this date irony of that name is still amazing)

Then it came big one, all dirty laundry started to show up and harassments and mistreatment of employees evidence started popping up. From Escoblades to Ashraf, from Maxime Beland to Yannis Mallat and Serge Hascoët. And many others that were let go and a lot of those who are still at Ubisoft like Jonathan Dumont who is now one of the top devs on Assassin's Creed Infinity. According to reports they did almost nothing to improve things and just like other companies just went silent and waited for things to calm down.

And after all of that Ubisoft decided to shift things regarding games for current generation, and apparently for the worse. One of their obvious goals is chase for Fortnite level F2P GAAS product, and they are so focused on that that they started developing crazy amount of F2P products while lowering their non F2P and non MP oriented output a lot. That is why we ar enow in situation where Ubisoft in 2022 still doesn't have any non MP and non F2P game release date announced and/or released. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope is only game with realistic 2022 release date and even that has no info other than game announcement from last year. Only 2 games Ubisoft released so far this year are R6 Extraction and Roller Champions.
They had The Settlers scheduled for release on March 17th and 2 weeks before they delayed game indefinitely (after really poor reception from beta). And this is not their only product that got abruptly delayed. Ghost Recon Frontline got announced as part of Ghost Recon Anniversary stream and beta was announced that should have been released couple of weeks after announcement. But backslash was so bad that day after it got delayed indefinitely. Then we have entire Prince of Persia Remake debacle. And so on.

Then there is whole Ubisoft NFT, i mean Quartz thing that they are mighty silent about since introducing it (even though person in charge of it was very vocal on Twitter when they announced it). Their wish to turn every single of their franchises into GAAS titles no matter the cost (look at Assassin's Creed Valhalla and in general destruction of Assassins's Creed franchise so they can earn a lots of money from MTX) is another of their goals.

So here we are, second year of new generation and one of the publishers who previously was one of the first to adopt new hardware and release games for it is more-less without announced game for 2022, not having E3 presentation, not attending GamesCom and majority of announced titles are F2P GAAS games, other part are games in development hell and workplace more-less the same since allegations. Company that was once one of the publishers with most diverse lineup and company with most new IPs is now GAAS, F2P factory that would slap brand on anything to sell it, no matter if it fits or not and call it A Ubisoft Original.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's typical of Era to write off Unisoft games and then act shocked when they feature in most sold of the year lists, but nearly 2 years into this Gen you can count on about 3 fingers what major publishers have brought big games out.

Bit early for this thread tbh

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Rainbow Six: Siege is one of the best FPS games I've ever played, so for me Ubisoft is still great. It has an insane amount of complexity and potential for emergent gameplay. Even Extraction was fun for what it was.

I also think Division 2 is fantastic and is the best looter shooter on the market. Even as a solo experience the game was up there with the other good Clancy games.

Ubisoft is easily above other large publishers like EA in my eyes.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
In terms of their output, peak Ubisoft for me was around 2011-2015 when they were at risk of being bought out so they greenlit a bunch of random shit like Child of Light, Valiant Hearts and the Rayman reboot games. Felt like they were actually willing to take risks on smaller projects but that went away fast when they fought off Vivendi.

I hope their actual peak in terms of being a good company is in the future once they clean out all the scum managers who have done so much damage over the last few years.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Their wish to turn every single of their franchises into GAAS titles no matter the cost (look at Assassin's Creed Valhalla and in general destruction of Assassins's Creed franchise so they can earn a lots of money from MTX) is another of their goals.

I may have some issues with the new ACs but it's totally unrelated to MTX. If anything, they are games I can point to as examples of single player GaaS working well and being enjoyable, with the periodic events and quests and new skins and whatnot.

As much as I liked Syndicate, a shakeup of the traditional formula was very much needed. Now, three games I like later, another shakeup is needed, but we are getting that shakeup with Infinite, so...?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely in a big creative crisis. They have bloated their developments so much they don't really have any maneuverability with their ideas, and their formula is thinning quite a lot. Their games are as much focus tested and proved as possible because it's the only thing they can release without entering development hell.

I really hope they come back. Ubisoft was easily one of my favorite publishers in the PS3/early PS4 era.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They published the Brothers in Arms so they always have a special place in my heart.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I may have some issues with the new ACs but it's totally unrelated to MTX. If anything, they are games I can point to as examples of single player GaaS working well and being enjoyable, with the periodic events and quests and new skins and whatnot.

As much as I liked Syndicate, a shakeup of the traditional formula was very much needed. Now, three games I like later, another shakeup is needed, but we are getting that shakeup with Infinite, so...?

Why would a shake up be "needed"? Valhalla is like their only big success from the past few years.

In fact, Valhalla is like, the best performing AC.

The shake up happened after Syndicate because it sold poorly and the franchise reputation was in te mud. No such problem currently with AC.

It's litersally everything else that ubisoft is having issues with.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Not for the fans of the franchise. Valhalla added 0 Assassin's content in all of their updates. They were just adding more and more fantasy content. That is why said that they basically destroyed Assassin's Creed franchise. In new trilogy there is no Assassin's part.

Oct 27, 2017
They need to clean house with the CEO but they are leaps and bounds ahead in other areas than the rest of the industry still. Their diversity in characters for example, is really quite good.

R6: Siege now has an openly gay character, a transwoman, and a non-binary character, as well as a good representation of diversity in general.

They do seem to have a stagnation issue. Like Far Cry 6 was good and all, but it was very much the same shit. AC also has this problem but to their credit they changed it up with Origins before that became rote. Lots of creative people and ideas there, I wish they would diversify their gameplay portfolio more again.

Compare that to like…Activision bullshit.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Why would a shake up be "needed"? Valhalla is like their only big success from the past few years.

In fact, Valhalla is like, the best performing AC.

The shake up happened after Syndicate because it sold poorly and the franchise reputation was in te mud. No such problem currently with AC.

It's litersally everything else that ubisoft is having issues with.

Oh, I'm only speaking personally of how I'm feeling about the games. Obviously Valhalla was a huge success. But I do feel like there is room for a new formula, and I think AC unified under one platform that is continuously updated (like Infinite is rumored to be) would be pretty cool.

Not for the fans of the franchise. Valhalla added 0 Assassin's content in all of their updates. They were just adding more and more fantasy content. That is why said that they basically destroyed Assassin's Creed franchise. In new trilogy there is no Assassin's part.

I've bought and played virtually every AC since 1. I'm as much a fan of the franchise as anyone. But being a fan of how the older games did things doesn't mean I wanted there to be no innovation or change within the franchise forever.

I also disagree that the new trilogy has no Assassins content. Clearly they've been recalibrating the overall narrative, but as of Valhalla that looks to be in very good shape, frankly.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
For all the criticism they get, I think that they are one of the big publishers that supports most its games , even if they are not very successful when they come out.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Rainbow Six: Siege is one of the best FPS games I've ever played, so for me Ubisoft is still great. It has an insane amount of complexity and potential for emergent gameplay. Even Extraction was fun for what it was.

I also think Division 2 is fantastic and is the best looter shooter on the market. Even as a solo experience the game was up there with the other good Clancy games.

Ubisoft is easily above other large publishers like EA in my eyes.
My mannnn, co-sign everything

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
Fenix Immortal Rising or whatever that game was called was one of the best Ubisoft games I have ever played. Sad to see it didn't get that much attention! :(. But yeah lately their main franchise games haven't been that great. That sports game was special as well!

Oct 29, 2017
Not every Ubisoft game is my personal favorite but I can't help being impressed at how consistently they are able to release huge AAA games in their key franchises, year after year. Imagine getting Elder Scrolls and Fallout games on a reliable 1 to 2 year schedule!

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I've bought and played virtually every AC since 1. I'm as much a fan of the franchise as anyone. But being a fan of how the older games did things doesn't mean I wanted there to be no innovation or change within the franchise forever.

I also disagree that the new trilogy has no Assassins content. Clearly they've been recalibrating the overall narrative, but as of Valhalla that looks to be in very good shape, frankly.

Where is assassin's content? Entire trilogy is focused on myths and legends and melee combat. Eivor is just a Viking and Basim and Hytam bring nothng to the table regarding assassin order i mean the hidden ones. And i won't even mention previous 2 games where you couldn't even kill targets stealthy and you were forced to melee combat (they brought it back for Valhalla). They did try to wrap things around in Valhalla regarding various storylines and ISU mythology but as i said since origins Assassin's pat was put aside in favor of fantasy RPG.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Probably one of the biggest falls from grace I've seen. Uni was my favorite company from the ps2 days to the middle of PS3/360 era. Everything after that has been meh to decent at best.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They have made some classics but their biggest problem is taking one good idea and trying to make all games use that idea. Too quick to jump on the GaaS/MTX/BR bandwagon and outside of their genuinely good games, they throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Where is assassin's content? Entire trilogy is focused on myths and legends and melee combat. Eivor is just a Viking and Basim and Hytam bring nothng to the table regarding assassin order i mean the hidden ones. And i won't even mention previous 2 games where you couldn't even kill targets stealthy and you were forced to melee combat (they brought it back for Valhalla). They did try to wrap things around in Valhalla regarding various storylines and ISU mythology but as i said since origins Assassin's pat was put aside in favor of fantasy RPG.
what?? You definitely could assassinate people in origins and odyssey. and origins is all about the formation of the brotherhood. Odyssey and Valhalla I will give you, but I don't like them much anyway

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Man, you need to let this go. Like, you make a pretty valid topic, but once agian you are stunlocked on AC, which is THE ONLY GAME FRANCHISE thats currently carrying ubisoft outside of R6 Siege on the MP front.

Origins came out in 2017... 5 years now, 3 games later.... the series has moved on without you - but it remains successful, and more people than ever play it. it is what it is, stuff like this tends to happen when a series has over 10 entries with roughly the same exact structure. I'm sure it's gonna change again eventually.

Also, what you're saying isn't even true, the Paris dlc was pretty much the most "classic AC" content in all of Valhalla - proper assassination sandboxes, largely based inside a city..

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
Ubisoft is still the best at what they do imo
whether you like that or not is subjective but objectively they make good stuff
for example, I loved odyssey but I don't like siege or division 2. Regardless they are all good games

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
I'm still liking every Assassins Creed entry that comes out but I'm also not expecting them to be something other than what they are 🤷‍♂️

Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla have all been great to me, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Man, you need to let this go. Like, you make a pretty valid topic, but once agian you are stunlocked on AC, which is THE ONLY GAME FRANCHISE thats currently carrying ubisoft outside of R6 Siege on the MP front.

Origins came out in 2017... 5 years now, 3 games later.... the series has moved on without you - but it remains successful, and more people than ever play it. it is what it is, stuff like this tends to happen when a series has over 10 entries with roughly the same exact structure. I'm sure it's gonna change again eventually.

Also, what you're saying isn't even true, the Paris dlc was pretty much the most "classic AC" content in all of Valhalla - proper assassination sandboxes, largely based inside a city..

For the most part i did let it go, but then they release that anniversary video in the same week as FFVII and Dragons Dogma anniversary videos and they piss me off.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They try new IPs regularly too and you have to commend them for trying. They have great franchises that have delivered over the years.

Currently they must be at the drawing board figuring out how to bring the wow factor back to AC; and they are still trying to get a winner in the BR market .

I would imagine at the game awards we will see one of their new projects even if it's skull and bones lol.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I still like AssCreed, but all this talk of a GaaS game puts me right off.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
AssCreed BF would have been an unrivaled masterpiece if they took out all the annoying sneak missions and PC and NPCs. Poor leadership with a lack of vision. Sea chanties bruh!

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I still love Assassin's Creed. I'd be excited for a new Prince of Persia (not a remake ...). I'd play The Crew 3 if they make it. Immortals was great. I'd play a new Trials. Trackmania is cool. I like the Hasbro games they pump out. They brought Scott Pilgrim back. RockSmith is brilliant.

Ubisoft is fine.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
They develop and publish a lot of games I may only have a passing interest in, or no interest at all. But by sheer volume, they also publish plenty of games I am interested in and end up having fun with. And even games I don't necessarily play a lot, I'd still consider great games. Like Rainbow Six which has been brought up plenty of times. As someone who was fan of the original Rainbow Six, it feels like a really great modern take on it as a PVP game. I love their smaller titles like Valiant Hearts and Child of Light. For some time I was hooked at For Honor and Division. From their old flagship franchises, I've played one Far Cry game at my friend's house (FC2) and played two Assassin's Creed games without finishing either one. I don't think either series are filled with bad games, but they haven't really hooked me and that's fine.

My concerns with Ubisoft have more to do with the working conditions of the developers, than with the games they develop.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Ubisoft found a good formula to make money but they went from one of my favorite companies a few gens ago to a massive disappointment every time they release something because of how formulaic everything s.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the fall. They're still going pretty strong. Rainbow Six Siege is better than it has ever been and still is the best FPS game IMO. AC Valhalla is my favorite AC game. Far Cry 6 is the best since FC4. Their upcoming releases sound promising. They did tone down the amount of big releases and marketing though. They used to market their games hard and go all in on marketing. Their presence does seem low lately, but that's the case with every publisher since Covid started.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think Ubisoft have one of the broadest catalogues of the major publishers and I'm always baffled when people say they stick to a formula or that they only make one game or whatever.

Folks act like they only make Far Cry, AC and Watch Dogs when they're actually out here releasing stuff like Roller Champions, Anno 1800, R6 Siege, Trackmania, Riders Republic, Just Dance, Mario and Rabbids and Rocksmith.

Their catalogue is vast and SUPER broad.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day there were what Focus Home now is imo
They changed for better and for worse. Dont think there is a "fall". That they changed and are less intresting for you personally is something else

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Splinter cell chaos theory
Prince of Persia sands of time
Beyond good and evil

Many publishers never release 3 games as good as this in their lifetime. I'd love for them to get back to this kind of thing but recognize the time has passed. So I'll just keep relating them lol

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to Mario + Rabbids 2 for sure, but wish they had done more varied things with their UbiArt Framework engine beyond primarily the Just Dance stuff. Guessing those games (Rayman Origins/Legends, Child of Light, etc.) just didn't sell well enough to not just fund the 'sure things'.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
What fall are we talking about here lol

Their games still seem like they sell pretty well, and they have done a solid job of supporting older titles over the years (Siege, For Honor, The Crew).

2022 is looking a little light at the moment, for sure. Avatar and Mario + Rabbids 2 seem like the only big titles that will hit this year. But this seems like the case for pretty much every major publisher.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Antagonising other members, history of infractions for similar behaviour
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

just know Crossing Eden is on thier way.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I'm always surprised on how succesful their multiplayer games seem to be, since it looks to me that every time ones comes out:
1- The reviews and overall reception are not great, because of lack of content or not being that great in general
2- Most people forget about them
3- Despite all of that a huge chunk of people keep playing and the games get support for 2 or 3 years or even more
I dont remember any multiplayer Ubisoft game being a disaster that drop support in less than a year like Anthem or Evolve. I wonder how they do it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I have issues with Ubisoft and how they work as a company and treat their employees.

But from a gaming perspective they are in great shape. There is no fall here other than wishful thinking.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm always surprised on how succesful their multiplayer games seem to be, since it looks to me that every time ones comes out:
1- The reviews and overall reception are not great, because of lack of content or not being that great in general
2- Most people forget about them
3- Despite all of that a huge chunk of people keep playing and the games get support for 2 or 3 years or even more
I dont remember any multiplayer Ubisoft game being a disaster that drop support in less than a year like Anthem or Evolve. I wonder how they do it.

The Crew 2 is still getting updates and roadmaps. Let that sink in. Any other publisher would have pulled the plug years ago without a second thought after the initial reception.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
AC was always sci fi right from the first one.