• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I liked how handhelds used to fill their own space in the generations of gaming. They couldn't mirror the home consoles but that meant we got a lot of unique games and experiences.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I always carried a DS, 3DS, PSP or Vita or whatever in a case to protect them, inside the bag I carried for work, and so the Switch is no different to me. I've carried a mobile phone that had games on it for 20 years and so it made little difference to me when I've had a phone and a handheld in my bag ever since I started commuting and before the GBA even released.

I've never even plugged the Switch dock in. If anything, the main function of the removable joycon for me was that I could replace the left one with a third party one with a d-pad as soon as I could for 2D games! :D

The main reason I haven't traded to a Switch lite, which would be obviously aimed at me, is the screen size as my eyesight isn't that great any more, it being a bit bigger and 'less portable' than previous ones doesn't matter when I've always slung them in a case in a rucksack rather than putting in a pocket anyway.

There is a trade off in getting less weird 'handheld' games like we used to get on the DS, but to be honest getting stuff like BotW, Skyrim, and Dragon Quest XI in addition to being what seems like a leading platform for many indies rather than getting a few scraps is a pretty good deal to me. It's the only platform I use because of that. Convenience is the only reason I'm still in the hobby, and while portables are always a compromise of size, power and battery life in order to be convenient, the Switch feels like it hit the sweet spot of what's available on it to me.

Jun 10, 2018
Non-handheld gamers shouldn't speak for handheld gamers. The base Switch serves my play style well, because handhelds have never been defined by all of the superfluous characteristics stationary gamers attach to them, but by the simple fact I can play my games ANYWHERE. With no limit on range.

So if you're saying the Switch doesn't meet those criteria then you're basically saying it isn't a hybrid at all. Like, jesus fucking christ, it's OK for the Switch to be mentioned in the same breath as the OGGB, GBA, DS and 3DS. This ardent push to disassociate the Switch with some of Nintendo's greatest systems is nonsensical and strange.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
The Switch Lite is the closest thing to a dedicated handheld nowadays and is a vastly improved handheld experience to the regular Switch, which feels like I could break it at any moment with how flimsy the Joycons seem when attached to the sides. I regularly use my Switch Lite and I'm even close to beating Breath of the Wild on it.

Not sure where a lot of the hate for portable gaming come from, going on long trips or even just short bus journeys, having a PSP/Vita or DS/3DS was pretty awesome and the quality of games seem a lot higher compared to the average mobile game at the moment. I especially miss the Vita and it's support for trophies, I'd give anything for another PlayStation handheld or even just trophy supported titles on mobile.

Edit: it's also nice having a separate gaming portable so I don't drain my phone battery.

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
I wish there was a more pocketable Switch that would still dock. The Switch Lite feels like a close-to-classic PSP-style handheld, and makes the normal Switch feel brittle and big.

There is a unique charm to a DS or Vita, in the same way I feel nostalgic for iPhone 5 sized devices, but my eyes still prefer the bigger screen of the Switch.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Switch is too heavy and cumbersome to be as portable as I'd want. I bring one to places in a bag but it's only really usable on a desk or something. And it takes me a second to set it up on the joycon adapter.

Compare to say the 3ds, Vita/PSP, or even a smartphone which I could pop in and out of a pocket at will.

The switch light is closer but just about too big for any pocket bar specifically big winter coats.

And I'm sure someone will say "who cares if it fits in your pocket?", well yes, that matters because it adds to the portability. Gaming on the go and all that.

jedmund

Oct 27, 2017
Every so often, I get the urge to grab a Wonderswan.

Also a Vita, but mostly a Wonderswan.

I spent the better part of last year amassing a small collection of Wonderswan games after bringing a SwanCrystal home from Japan in 2018? and it's honestly great. So charming.

I just finally bought my dream Crystal Black SwanCrystal last month and am looking into the IPS solutions that have popped up in the past few years.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
images

My RG351P disagrees with you

This!!!. Just ordered one yesterday!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
I use my Switch 99% of the time in handheld mode and for me it's biggest benefit is not being tethered to the TV but I get what you mean it isn't a 'true' handheld in the same way Vita, PSP or the DS line were. Still I really like the hybrid nature of it for if I do want to see stuff on the big screen every now and then or for games like Ring fit.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Sony were still in the handheld game, if only to have a really nice handheld to play old PSN games on. I would love to revisit PS1 & PS2 games but I don't wanna play them on the big TV.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I know people like to talk about the Switch as if it's a true handheld, and I get why. Still, I'm going to have to disagree. The Switch can be portable, but it's not quite the same.

Switch does have a handheld only SKU, but I sort of get what you mean.

I think dedicated handhelds died because to be viable they need to be on the GameBoy or DS business model. Half priced MSRP games, much cheaper to develop for, hardware a generation behind. The Sony approach of 'console gaming on the go' failed because their hardware wasn't nearly powerful enough, it was only powerful compared to what Nintendo was doing so they couldn't quite get console games but also simultanouesly priced themselves out of the market by being much more expensive to develop for due to their increased power. So it's a no mans land. The GameBoy/DS model was made untenable by the rise of smartphones.

The alternative which Nintendo pivoted to is to take the existing console experience and making it a hybrid with a portable form factor which is what we have. The fact that they have managed to get Switch entirely portable and the platform is running stuff like Witcher 3, Doom , Civ6 etc is mind blowing. This would be like the Nintendo DS running Crysis and Civ 4. Not to mention all indies that have found their lead platform with the Switch. The advantage of course is less of a need for bespoke 'handheld' only versions of games even if not all games can make the transition, enough can.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I spent the better part of last year amassing a small collection of Wonderswan games after bringing a SwanCrystal home from Japan in 2018? and it's honestly great. So charming.

I just finally bought my dream Crystal Black SwanCrystal last month and am looking into the IPS solutions that have popped up in the past few years.
I may as well ask - what do you think is worth checking out if I do end up biting? The ones that have caught my eye are Digimon Tamers: Battle Spirit 1.5, Digimon Adventure: Anode/Cathode Tamer, Guilty Gear Petit, Megaman EXE WS, Super Robot Wars Compact 2 and 3, and Gihren's Greed: Conquerer of the Blue Planet.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I understand this sentiment. I love the Switch but still use my OG 3DS and Retroid Pocket 2 for quick rounds of gaming here and there. The DS Lite was my first console and I have this nostalgia towards having a bespoke, tiny device for gaming with pre-smartphone features.

I'm pretty sure I use my Switch 50/50 docked and tablet. The continuity of playing a game in both modes is one of my favorite features, which is why I'm excited that the Analogue Pocket will have a dock of its own. But I would buy a pocketable Switch Lite for sure.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The last "real" handheld was the original Gameboy since it was weaker than the NES which meant that games where shorter and more fine tuned fore short bursts of playing. The games on handheld have been mirroring the ones on the stationary consolesa generation earlier. Handhelds are weaker than the consoles a generation before

NES > GBC
SNES > GBA
N64 > DS
PS2 > PSP
Gamecube/Wii > 3DS
PS3 > PSV

Switch is the only handheld that is better than the last generation consoles like PS3 and XB360

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I basically exclusively played mid tier 3rd party JRPG's on the 3DS, and it sucks that those pretty much went extinct on the Switch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Street pass while fun, things like that are just little time wasters. Now imagine if there was something like street pass but you could communicate with the people you came across, as a way to find new friends to play Nintendo games with. With parental restrictions on it obviously.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I got a Switch Lite and it's now the system I use almost exclusively for handheld mode. My OG Switch occasionally comes out of the dock when I need to switch modes in the middle of a session or if I just wanna download updates or browse the eShop.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I know what you mean, OP, but I feel like 3DS started this trend for Nintendo. We were getting console-style games on a portable back then. I remember early on during the PSP and OG DS wars, the fanboys would say that DS was providing unique handheld experiences whereas PSP was just getting console style games. But then when 3DS was doing it, it was supposedly okay!

I wonder how much you feel indies are stepping in with the more 'handheld' titles?

Oct 25, 2017
Street pass while fun, things like that are just little time wasters. Now imagine if there was something like street pass but you could communicate with the people you came across, as a way to find new friends to play Nintendo games with. With parental restrictions on it obviously.
We couldn't even have SwapNote safely, StreetPass is as good as it will ever get.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
M'y switch is 99% handheld. It looks terrible for most game on my 77 oled. Only Nintendo games can looks ok/good like lui his mansion or paper Mario. Tried hyrule warrior 2 recently it was 🤮

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Switch Lite basically seems like a handheld continuation to me so far. I always carry my handhelds around in a case in my bag anyway, so there's no real change there.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The prevalence of smartphones, to the point that a lot of kids are walking around with hand-me-downs even if they aren't from wealthy families, destroyed the use case of portables as we knew them. It'll be vanity hardware like the Playnite from here on out, I think.

I briefly had a lite and loved the form factor but the joycon drift worries me with these things. At least with the hybrid one you can easily just send in the joycons to get fixed. Lite you have to send the whole thing in.

I rolled the dice on a Lite and this did indeed happen to me. I got it replaced and then sold it. Not worth the trouble, although they're great otherwise.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean, OP, but I feel like 3DS started this trend for Nintendo. We were getting console-style games on a portable back then. I remember early on during the PSP and OG DS wars, the fanboys would say that DS was providing unique handheld experiences whereas PSP was just getting console style games. But then when 3DS was doing it, it was supposedly okay!

I wonder how much you feel indies are stepping in with the more 'handheld' titles?
I'm fairly sure that argument was during the 3DS and Vita wars when people were trying to figure out why the Vita was selling so poorly

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fairly sure that argument was during the 3DS and Vita wars when people were trying to figure out why the Vita was selling so poorly
I guess you weren't around on GAF/IGN/elsewhere during the OG DS vs PSP period? There was a position in the Nintendo community that PSP was just a portable console and DS was focusing on actual handheld games. I just found it funny that when Nintendo ended up doing that, the argument disappeared.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a really nice, firm, form fitting case that makes the Switch Lite really easy to carry in my backpack. It's a wonderful portable console. I just wish Nintendo would bring back portable-centric features like Streetpass.