• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Another huge loss for the veteran character actor community:

Discovered by the same agent who launched the careers of Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter, Saxon first gained notice for his performance as a disturbed high school football star who taunts Esther Williams in The Unguarded Moment (1956). In the film's credits, he's billed as "the exciting new personality John Saxon."

He played a police chief who makes a fatal mistake in the Canadian cult classic Black Christmas (1974), featuring Margot Kidder and Keir Dullea, and his horror résumé also includes two films for Roger Corman: Queen of Blood (1966) and Battle Beyond the Stars (1980), playing a tyrannical warlord.

In Warner Bros.' Enter the Dragon (1973), Lee's first mainstream American movie and last before his death at age 32, Saxon portrayed Roper, a degenerate gambler who participates in a martial arts tournament. In real life, his fighting skills did not approach those possessed by Lee and another co-star, karate champion Jim Kelly.

Saxon, though, said that Lee "took me seriously. I would tell him I would rather do it this way, and he'd say, 'OK, try it that way,' " he told the Los Angeles Times in 2012.

Saxon played the cop Donald Thompson in the first and third films in the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, where he's eventually killed by Freddy Krueger's skeleton. He then returned to play a version of himself in New Nightmare (1994).
Most folks will definitely know him from the first and third NoES films and Enter the Dragon, but his body of work is seriously impressive. No role was too big or small for him to take and give it his trademark personality. He'll be sorely missed.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
UcjeE.gif

Watching Mitchell in his honor. RIP John

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This one hurts. His work has had an impact on me and he's been a part of huge projects I love. RIP.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
:(

A Horror Dad Icon

RIP to a true Silver Scream legend

He exuded such warmth in those roles.

May 24, 2019
He's so recognizable that I'd swear I've saw him dozens of movies, but checking Letterboxd it's really only been a handful.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Aw no, great character actor. One of those guys who can bring a lot to what on the page can otherwise be a bit part. R.I.P.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking the other day about John Saxon. But now the last of the Enter the Dragon trio is gone. He also co-starred in one of my favorite horror movies ever: Tenebre.

RIP

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
RIP. The guy had a really diverse career. He fought alongside Bruce Lee, helped create Freddy Krueger, and worked with Mario Bava.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Dude was amazing and as a Horror Dad he was very nice to watch he just came across as believable in his roles.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
RIP. :(

I don't think I had seen him until last year, where he popped up 4 times in my 31 Days of Horror watch (the 3 Elm Street films he was in and Black Christmas).

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Truly legendary career. Hope he is remembered for a long time. Such a pillar of Hollywood & genre films for so long. One of the best. RIP, sir.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
RIP John Saxon, I'll always remember you as Roper and Nancy's father.

(I'm embarrassed to admit, I think I've been Mandela effected on this one. I swear he died around 2015)

Last edited:

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
RIP John Saxon, I'll always remember you as Roper and Nancy's father.

(I'm embarrassed to admit, I think I've been Mandela effected on this one. I swear he died around 2015)

Exactly the same here. I could have sworn he passed away previously. Either way, very sad news. I'd recommend the NOES commentary track if you want to encounter him at his most ambivalent. Unlike Craven he seems out of his element when it comes to even discussing movies, let alone contributing to a DVD commentary.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Exactly the same here. I could have sworn he passed away previously. Either way, very sad news. I'd recommend the NOES commentary track if you want to encounter him at his most ambivalent. Unlike Craven he seems out of his element when it comes to even discussing movies, let alone contributing to a DVD commentary.
Will have to check it out, I'm sure I've got the DVD in my collection somewhere