• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are also videos going around of cheaters being banned mid-match during a closed beta. I don't recall that level of aggressive anti-cheat in any game... ever.
Here's a compilation video from back in 2016 of people getting banned mid-game on stream from CSGO. Disclaimer: does contain some slurs.

Point is, this claim that Vanguard is magical is horseshit.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a compilation video from back in 2016 of people getting banned mid-game on stream from CSGO. Disclaimer: does contain some slurs.

Point is, this claim that Vanguard is magical is horseshit. It's VAC-tier at best.

...who is claiming that Vanguard is magical? All I said in the post you quoted is that I've never seen anti-cheat taken so seriously this early on. It's week -1 of closed beta and people are already getting smacked down. CSGO released in 2012.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...who is claiming that Vanguard is magical? All I said in the post you quoted is that I've never seen anti-cheat taken so seriously this early on. It's week -1 of closed beta and people are already getting smacked down. CSGO released in 2012.
That's largely because nobody was hoping to be the next big Twitch star in 2012. A lot of people are seeing Valorant as their opportunity to break into the streaming big time. As a result, more footage which means more chance of rare events getting caught on video (such as accounts getting banned).

The fact that Riot marketed the anti-cheat as super proactive, terminating games on cheat detection and making a large variety of big claims. In practice, some of the deterrents (most notably the Fog of War) appears to be ineffective, and that the anti-cheat is operating similarly to VAC (in mainly appearing as waves of bans well after cheats have been detected) does suggest the marketing was at best dishonest and at worst lies.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I see, I play Destiny 2 too but I rarely play the PvP modes so I wouldn't know about any cheating, I was just curious why you have such a strong opinion about it and that clears it up :)

I want to clarify my stance a bit more. For me it's still, I agree cheating shouldn't happen at all but the cause does not justify the means for me. In my eyes unless you're aiming for a career in a game like for eSports and ranked pro-play gaming is a hobby for most and passion at best. At the same time many people also use their gaming-PCs or laptops for work and their private-life so handling a game anti-cheat full Ring 0 access is in my eyes a mess waiting to happen. I think nothing should be granted Ring 0 access unless it's a device driver for hardware that wouldn't function otherwise or of course the core of Windows itself.

As our lives get more and more online and more digitized with each passing day we should be careful with our data and whom we grant access to our machines. It's a big problem with smartphones and I honestly don't think that anti-cheat in a video-game merits this kind of invasive access. Of course nobody is forced to play Valorant and it's a luxury but at the same time we should find alternate solutions that don't impact people's digital lives as much or at the very least puts them in a greater risk. A cheater in a game of Valorant might ruin your match and have a impact on that and that only. Somebody abusing Vanguard might lead to leakage of private data, doxing or similar in the worst case.

Of course it's likely that nothing bad will ever happen with it but I'm just saying we should think about what we give access to us for what reason and if these reasons are really worth the trade-off.
Well said

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Riot comes out on the initial launch pitch and says they're going hard on anti-cheat tech.

Everyone applauds.

Game releases and is hard on anti-cheat tech.

Suddenly this is a bad thing.
Because it effects them. If this was a thing only in China, it would be applauded by these same people.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a long article concerning the Kerbal based antichear some time ago.

This is why some of Riot's future titles will be protected by a kernel driver.

I think I'm going to panic?
There are several reasons you should absolutely not do that.

1. Stress can lead to excess hair loss, and I don't want your head to get cold.
  2. This isn't giving us any surveillance capability we didn't already have. If we cared about grandma's secret recipe for the perfect Christmas casserole, we'd find no issue in obtaining it strictly from user-mode and then selling it to The Food Network. The purpose of this upgrade is to monitor system state for integrity (so we can trust our data) and to make it harder for cheaters to tamper with our games (so you can't blame aimbots for personal failure).
  3. This isn't even news. Several third party anti-cheat systems—like EasyAntiCheat, Battleye, and Xigncode3—are already utilizing a kernel driver to protect your favorite AAA games. We're just installing our own sous-chef to the Windows kitchen, so that when we hit em with a "where's the beef," we know we're getting an honest answer.
  4. It will be significantly harder to create undetected cheats: protecting you from aimbots, protecting us from Reddit, and protecting cheaters from themselves.
We believe anti-cheat is one of the most important components of an online multiplayer game, and we want you to play in a world where you never have to doubt the abilities of your opponent. There is no cure for cheat fever, but we will continue to do anything it takes to bring you the best competitive experience possible.

Transmission complete, but I'll be returning in approximately four megaseconds to tell you about bots in your ARAMs, a follow-up to our award-winning novella, "Removing Cheaters from League.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is true...
"Several third party anti-cheat systems—like EasyAntiCheat, Battleye, and Xigncode3—are already utilizing a kernel driver to protect your favorite AAA games."

then this is a complete non issue cause the list of games that use these two clients are massive.

EasyAnticheat
BattleEye
BattleEye flatout says it on their page.
"Fully proactive kernel-based protection system and fast dynamic and permanent scanning of the player's system using specific and heuristic/generic detection routines for maximum effectiveness."

So if you've played Raibow 6 Siege, Fortnite, Ark, PuBG, Tarkov and others you already have a kernal based anticheat on your system.

This covers pretty much 90% of people PC games.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a long article concerning the Kerbal based antichear some time ago.

This is why some of Riot's future titles will be protected by a kernel driver.

I think I'm going to panic?
There are several reasons you should absolutely not do that.

1. Stress can lead to excess hair loss, and I don't want your head to get cold.
  2. This isn't giving us any surveillance capability we didn't already have. If we cared about grandma's secret recipe for the perfect Christmas casserole, we'd find no issue in obtaining it strictly from user-mode and then selling it to The Food Network. The purpose of this upgrade is to monitor system state for integrity (so we can trust our data) and to make it harder for cheaters to tamper with our games (so you can't blame aimbots for personal failure).
  3. This isn't even news. Several third party anti-cheat systems—like EasyAntiCheat, Battleye, and Xigncode3—are already utilizing a kernel driver to protect your favorite AAA games. We're just installing our own sous-chef to the Windows kitchen, so that when we hit em with a "where's the beef," we know we're getting an honest answer.
  4. It will be significantly harder to create undetected cheats: protecting you from aimbots, protecting us from Reddit, and protecting cheaters from themselves.
We believe anti-cheat is one of the most important components of an online multiplayer game, and we want you to play in a world where you never have to doubt the abilities of your opponent. There is no cure for cheat fever, but we will continue to do anything it takes to bring you the best competitive experience possible.

Transmission complete, but I'll be returning in approximately four megaseconds to tell you about bots in your ARAMs, a follow-up to our award-winning novella, "Removing Cheaters from League.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is true...
"Several third party anti-cheat systems—like EasyAntiCheat, Battleye, and Xigncode3—are already utilizing a kernel driver to protect your favorite AAA games."

then this is a complete non issue cause the list of games that use these two clients are massive.

EasyAnticheat
BattleEye
BattleEye flatout says it on their page.
"Fully proactive kernel-based protection system and fast dynamic and permanent scanning of the player's system using specific and heuristic/generic detection routines for maximum effectiveness."

So if you've played Raibow 6 Siege, Fortnite, Ark, PuBG, Tarkov and others you already have a kernal based anticheat on your system.

While this is true and I stand by my stance with these too, the difference is, these anti-cheat kernel drivers run at runtime only from my knowledge so as soon as the game stops the driver is unloaded. Vanguard lies dormant at system boot, that amplifies a theoretical risk for exploitation quite alot.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
business as usual at riot. Also don't forget they still have leadership that was only put on paid vacation after sexually harassing people.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Has this been posted? Article about it from ArsTechnica:
arstechnica.com

Ring 0 of fire: Does Riot Games’ new anti-cheat measure go too far?

Riot tells Ars kernel-level system could be removed if vulnerability is detected.

"This isn't giving us any surveillance capability we didn't already have," Riot noted in its blog post (using language that isn't exactly comforting on its own). "If we cared about grandma's secret recipe for the perfect Christmas casserole, we'd find no issue in obtaining it strictly from user-mode and then selling it to The Food Network. The purpose of this upgrade is to monitor system state for integrity (so we can trust our data) and to make it harder for cheaters to tamper with our games (so you can't blame aimbots for personal failure)."
At the kernel level, any flaws in Riot's driver code could create system-wide, "blue screen of death"-style crashes, as opposed to more localized application-specific glitches. And a serious oversight in the driver, like a buffer overflow exploit, could let an attacker install their own malicious code at an extremely low level, where it could be extremely dangerous.

"Whenever you have a driver like that, you're at risk of introducing security and reliability issues to the computer," independent security researcher Saleem Rashid told Ars. "You don't get as many exploit mitigations in device drivers as you do in normal applications, and a bug will crash the entire OS, not just the game."

"DRM like this probably stops cheating in the very near term, but I'm not convinced it helps in the long run," Rashid continued. "All it takes is for someone to analyze the driver from outside of Windows and then apply similar techniques they use to defeat other anti-cheat systems. So it looks like it introduces a large attack surface for little benefit."
Chamberlain said that Vanguard also has code integrity checks and crash reporting functionality that could alert them to any signs of compromise. "In addition, we have our bug bounty program and good relationships with the game security community and the broader threat intelligence community, so we would be well placed to receive intelligence about potential compromises," he said.

If a kernel-mode code execution bug was found in Vanguard's drivers, Chamberlain says the system has been set up "to be easy to update on whatever cadence is required (separate from game update cadence) so we would likely be able to respond within hours." During those hours, Vanguard would be disabled on the game, and players would be instructed to uninstall it in the meantime.

"In extreme cases, we would work with our patcher team to automatically remove Vanguard from all players' computers," Chamberlain added. "After we had pushed a fix or removed the driver, we would work with Microsoft to get the vulnerable driver blacklisted."

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Main difference is that the other anti-cheat systems are only running when you're playing the related game. Vanguard is always-on even if you play just Solitaire.
There are several reports that Vanguard is causing noticeable strains on your system. So Vanguard is a) running all the time and b) can cause your other games to lag.

So no: that is not what happens with 90% of other PC games.

GP2020

Banned
Apr 13, 2020

None of which run on R0 on the same layer as the kernel itself which is why this is such a terrible fucking idea. Not to mention that it's running in the background 24/7 literally before you have keyboard input. The ends don't justify the means.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

GP2020

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
I highly doubt there's any anti-cheat solutions on the market that run on Ring 0. Look at Riot's verbiage.

So, an abundance of cheats currently run at a higher privilege level than our anti-cheat does
Cheaters don't give a shit about security. They'll gladly install whatever trash they find on cheat forums to be the equivalent of an annoying fly buzzing around you to troll in a video game. Just because someone pulls out a cannon doesn't mean you should pull out a nuke in response.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
If you question the anti-cheat methods, the terrorists hackers win. If you have nothing to hide, what is the problem?
/s

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
So Fortnite players on PC are all running a Ring 0 kernel level anti-cheat driver as well?

Yes, but there is a bit of a difference. Easy anti cheat and Battleye only activate when you launch a game, while whatever Riot is using launches when Windows boots.

Ideally no one would do this at all, but Riot's solution is far more reliant on them not screwing up, similar to Street Fighter V's anitcheat solution that Capcom later scrapped.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Well thats unfortunate. Ive been trying to get into TFT, and was somewhat looking at this? But fuck that.

I have been PC gaming too long and have had bad experiences with this shit. Everyone always claims "its fine this time, this is different" before the shit hits the fan. Exactly no one tells you "Yeah, this is going to open an attack vector on your system that will later somehow be exploited and cost you time". No one says that ever. But it happens. So Ill pass. Maybe even stop bothering to learn TFT if I hear that they are doing this for that game too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Honestly, with the kind of cheating I'm seeing in Destiny 2 on PC, I'd be full of shit if I pretended to be completely against this if it meant that online was cheater-free. It is literally killing competitive Destiny 2 PvP on the platform.

I'd rather deal with aggressive anti-cheat systems than aggressive cheaters strangling a game I enjoy slowly. If I have to choose between something like this and online games on PC dying, I'll take this 1,000%. Assuming Riot Or whomever can be trusted to do this right and be vigilant.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I need on/off benchmarks showing this anti-cheat affecting other games, when Valorant isn't running.

I'm more interested in that claim than any other part of this story.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...that Riot can also do here, and will? Yes, just like those.

No excuses for cheaters. No safe spaces for cheaters. Put up every available barrier and actively invent new ones.
this is not the way to do it though. Giving riot or any developer root access is asking for trouble and shouldn't be trusted. You should be ashamed for trying to justify this when it's not acceptable.