• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

About Microsoft statements, how about Windows 10 not letting Starforce amd SecuROM protected games run at all?

There was a time when i dealt with this shit as a weekly basis. No need for official statements, it's all in that video.

SecuROM thankfully didn't attack your pc since it was server based, but it's still draconian.

Video states that nobody replicated Starforce issues to claim the reward, and the lawsuit was dropped because there was no evidence that Starforce was causing these issues. You missed your 10k! I asked for the articles, and you delivered, so I supposed there is a level of reasonable fear when it comes to game companies bundling potentially bad software.

• Disc-based security solution from 2003 (stopped in 2006) which reportedly wears out/glitches cdroms.
• Low level anti-cheat which works exactly like more prestige CSGO (ESEA, Faceit) queues for years now.

Just for clarification: does your argument/suspicion applies to Valorant, or does it apply to every single program that requires a low-level access?

Last edited:

Onlygames

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2020
De_Dust2
I've uninstalled the game for now, including the Vanguard anti-cheat program. Does this mean I'm good or do I need to take further actions even?

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opening up your computer to anyone with bad intentions was a good thing when?

I can't believe what people will hand over just to play a videogame. No wonder shit happens.

There's no evidence that the driver is insecure or exploitable.

We have an actual screenshot in this thread from a hack forum of people discussing spreading FUD about Vanguard.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my stance on the issue is that this is basically the security vs freedom debate just with a different spin. Do like like cheating to happen in online-games? Absolutely not! But if the only way to stop cheating online proactively is to have a Ring-0 driver installed then I think a boundary was overstepped that shouldn't have been overstepped. And if that's the case I think the right call is to just accept that some matches will be ruined by cheaters and have them banned retroactively as per VAC and other anti-cheat solutions and maybe look into different ways to prevent cheating.

Now I'm no developer of any sort but could server-based games have some sort of anti-cheat in their netcode? I'm thinking maybe every game-client could go and verify each other, like every player-client connected to the server double-checks on a kill for example if the kill could have happened within normal game logic. So if you have 10 players and one of them is a cheater that for example has a 1000 damage weapon, the other 9 clients would notice that dealing so much damage with one shot should be impossible and then immediately disconnect and possibly ban the 10th client.

Of course this wouldn't stop things like wall-hacks and such but that is possible because basically the game knows where everyone is at every time. Would it be possible to handle positioning purely server-side and only expose the location to a player-client when it's actually relevant like when a player enters the vision or sound range of another or comes into the range of a thrown skill etc.

I realize that if these things are possible they would likely increase network and performance overhead due to excessive redundancy but I think it might be worth it for heavy E-sports leaning titles that are generally light on resources anyway.

Jun 2, 2019
Video states that nobody replicated Starforce issues to claim the reward, and the lawsuit was dropped because there was no evidence that Starforce was causing these issues.

The whole Starforce thing was a shitshow and there were always suspicion that they didn't even try to replicate the issues. I will not tell you to believe me, but i know what i experienced and what i had to repair over those years.

(Even nowadays, there are some naïve people that want to get into retro PC gaming and they end up having to take their PC to me or one of the local stores because they didn't research the thing properly)

My theory is that they developed the DRM with a one and only kind of setup in mind. The 2 disc drives issues described in the video? I literally experienced that, just like becoming unable to play CD music (As i've always loved to do that while working)

I asked for the articles, and you delivered, so I supposed there is a level of reasonable fear when it comes to game companies bundling potentially bad software.

Yeah, there is, and completely founded. Starforce is the most notable example for how awful it was, but it wasn't the only one.

In general, anything that installs at kernel level is not to be trusted at all. That's why Microsoft implemented driver signature verification

Just for clarification: does your argument/suspicion applies to Valorant, or does it apply to every single program that requires a low-level access?

Oh, no, i have no issue with Valorant at all, i'm all for anti-cheating solutions. My issue is with low level access. The Ring 0 gives free access to everything, so i don't trust anything that install a that level and isn't a driver for any hardware or virtual device i have knowllingly installed.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The devs responded to this directly on reddit yesterday.

TL;DR Yes we run a driver at system startup, it doesn't scan anything (unless the game is running), it's designed to take up as few system resources as possible and it doesn't communicate to our servers. You can remove it at anytime.
(...)
The Vanguard driver can be uninstalled at any time (...)
What's the point then?

Jun 2, 2019
Explain it to me like I'm 5.

Ring 0 is the lowest level of access possible. Kernel level. Having uninstalled the Anti-cheat measure isn't enough because, as it's installed at ring 0 level, it could have very easily installed anything else without having to ask the user for permission.

Watch the video i linked a few posts ago. Starforce was a DRM that installed itself at ring 0 level and fucked up your PC in a number of ways without ever asking for anything. Not saying is will be the case, though.

Onlygames

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2020
De_Dust2
Ring 0 is the lowest level of access possible. Kernel level. Having uninstalled the Anti-cheat measure isn't enough because, as it's installed at ring 0 level, it could have very easily installed anything else without having to ask the user for permission.

Watch the video i linked a few posts ago. Starforce was a DRM that installed itself at ring 0 level and fucked up your PC in a number of ways without ever asking for anything. Not saying is will be the case, though.
Soooo I'm screwed atm? Until they, or someone else, offers a way to comletely remove any traces?

Jun 2, 2019
Soooo I'm screwed atm? Until they, or someone else, offers a way to comletely remove any traces?

No, you're not unless the software actually does something like that. Still early to know.

I mention Starforce constantly because it's an example of what could go wrong, but hopefully this won't be the case.

Nobody seems to have reported this kind of behavoir from this so it would be safe to say that you're... well, safe.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I understand being thorough, especially after coming from Destiny where Bungie lets cheaters run rampant in Trials on PC, but this seems like it's going a bit too far.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is not really the same, you know?

This is a software that installs itself at ring 0 just because

... it's not "just because"... it's to be proactive against cheats. More proactive than any other AC out there. And the risk to security is exactly the same as it is for every other kernel-level driver on your PC, of which there are many.

Jun 2, 2019
And the risk to security is exactly the same as it is for every other kernel-level driver on your PC, of which there are many.

This is your only argument to defend this and it's getting really repetitive. Installing at Kernel level doesn't makes it more proactive, just more risky.

If it acts as a driver and only works when the game is booted, then it's no different than Valve's VAC solution
If it doesn't and it's enabled by default then it's too invasive and such behaviour should not be allowed.

There's nothing else than that. By your own argument, neither Starforce nor any of the hundreds of thousands of trojans and rootkits in existence are different than drivers, ergo they are inoffensive.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is your only argument to defend this and it's getting really repetitive. Installing at Kernel level doesn't makes it more proactive, just more risky.

If it acts as a driver and only works when the game is booted, then it's no different than Valve's VAC solution
If it doesn't and it's enabled by default then it's too invasive and such behaviour should not be allowed.

There's nothing else than that. By your own argument, neither Starforce nor any of the hundreds of thousands of trojans and rootkits in existence are different than drivers, ergo they are inoffensive.

This is nothing like Starforce or Securom, and such has been debated and proven here and on reddit - not interested in repeating it. And calling anything at ring0 a "rootkit" is misleading/a misnomer - rootkits are inherently malicious. This driver is not. You can make whatever unsubstantiated hypothetical security-based argument you want, but it doesn't change the fact that as of now there's absolutely no evidence that the driver itself is insecure or malicious. Until there is, everything is just "what-ifs" and "maybes", and I'm not interested in concern trolling.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
... it's not "just because"... it's to be proactive against cheats. More proactive than any other AC out there. And the risk to security is exactly the same as it is for every other kernel-level driver on your PC, of which there are many.
More proactive? PunkBuster had kernel driver something like ten years ago and other competitors like EAC are using those too. And pretty much all ACs have been hacked from time to time regardless of kernel drivers.

Now I'm no developer of any sort but could server-based games have some sort of anti-cheat in their netcode? I'm thinking maybe every game-client could go and verify each other, like every player-client connected to the server double-checks on a kill for example if the kill could have happened within normal game logic. So if you have 10 players and one of them is a cheater that for example has a 1000 damage weapon, the other 9 clients would notice that dealing so much damage with one shot should be impossible and then immediately disconnect and possibly ban the 10th client.
AFAIK the current state of the art is to use machine learning to filter out cheaters based on player's input/state data that can be recorded server side anyway. While that might work for a lot of cases it's not exactly a solved problem yet.

Jun 2, 2019
This is nothing like Starforce or Securom, and such has been debated and proven here and on reddit - not interested in repeating it. And calling anything at ring0 a "rootkit" is misleading/a misnomer - rootkits are inherently malicious. This driver is not. You can make whatever unsubstantiated hypothetical security-based argument you want, but it doesn't change the fact that as of now there's absolutely no evidence that the driver itself is insecure or malicious. Until there is, everything is just "what-ifs" and "maybes", and I'm not interested in concern trolling.

I'm just going to say that, and anyone with a minimum of computer knowledge would agree, that software that installs at kernel level is not to be trusted unless it comes with a clear justification and from a source used to install at that level without fucking it up

At the very least, i can say i'm speaking from experience here.

Last edited:

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More proactive? PunkBuster had kernel driver something like ten years ago and other competitors like EAC are using those too. And pretty much all ACs have been hacked from time to time regardless of kernel drivers.

The difference between Punkbustr/EAC and Vanguard is that vgk.sys runs on boot. It does nothing until Valorant is launched, but since the driver is always running anyway it's harder to tamper with or disable it prior to launching a game, which is how most other modern anti-cheats are bypassed. It's still possible, just harder. The argument about whether it's worth the added risk will never go away, and the people who aren't okay with it will likely just leave or never play the game. I don't see Riot backing down on this.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is the same as FaceIT which is completely fine for me. I'd quite happily take this and knowing the game is 99.99% (possibly 100%?) cheat free over having cheats in the game.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is the same as FaceIT which is completely fine for me. I'd quite happily take this and knowing the game is 99.99% (possibly 100%?) cheat free over having cheats in the game.
It's not the same as the AntiCheat from FaceIT. The big differences are that the one from Riot is more intrusive and the one from FaceIT kinda works.

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
I hope the next multiplayer game I get into uses this.

Sucks to split the player base but let people uninstall the anti-cheat if they want. They can play with the bots like its always been and others can have a cheat-free experience. (If the shit actually works)

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
this is just pure fear mongering. ESEA, FaceIT etc have been doing the same thing for many many years. If you want a competitive game to tackle cheaters then this is what you need to do. Can't wait for them to remove it and then people complain about cheaters in 3 months time. Not to mention this was already known months ago and no one cared.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The difference between Punkbustr/EAC and Vanguard is that vgk.sys runs on boot. It does nothing until Valorant is launched, but since the driver is always running anyway it's harder to tamper with or disable it prior to launching a game, which is how most other modern anti-cheats are bypassed. It's still possible, just harder. The argument about whether it's worth the added risk will never go away, and the people who aren't okay with it will likely just leave or never play the game. I don't see Riot backing down on this.
This. It's just one step in the cat-and-mouse game between cheaters and ACs.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... Valve is specifically avoiding something like this for VAC because of the backlash. Anticheat is good and all but not when it has full access to my system. See ESEA fuckups (their anticheat also has kernel access) during the years.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The punchline to this discussion is that the impression I'm getting is that Vanguard appears to be ineffective as a proactive anti-cheat, and Riot is having to do VAC-style ban waves after the fact. And it's closed beta, Riot still has full control as to who gets in. I suspect that Vanguard is going to wind up looking useless shortly after open beta.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm impressed people here are actually defending this practice.
Are you really though?

this is just pure fear mongering. ESEA, FaceIT etc have been doing the same thing for many many years. If you want a competitive game to tackle cheaters then this is what you need to do. Can't wait for them to remove it and then people complain about cheaters in 3 months time. Not to mention this was already known months ago and no one cared.
Case in point, an ESEA employee exploited the software to mine Bitcoin with user machines. Several people reported damaged hardware as a result. This stuff is use at your own risk. And the risk is not just theoretical.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Well.. I don't know how many matches you played but I ran into wallhackers and aimbotters at least 3 times already... so no, I'm complaining that their anticheat has full access to my system and it's still crap.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well.. I don't know how many matches you played but I ran into wallhackers and aimbotters at least 3 times already... so no, I'm complaining that their anticheat has full access to my system and it's still crap.
No system will ever be 100%. It's going to be cat and mouse forever.

...but the ones with the highest success percentage will likely need root access like this. I'm okay with that.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
No system will ever be 100%. It's going to be cat and mouse forever.

...but the ones with the highest success percentage will likely need root access like this. I'm okay with that.

I'm not. Uninstalled ESEA as soon as they pulled of this shit.. and their anticheat actually worked.

I don't really care about cheaters. You still get them anyway... like you said, nothing you can do against them. Report and go on.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

AFAIK the current state of the art is to use machine learning to filter out cheaters based on player's input/state data that can be recorded server side anyway. While that might work for a lot of cases it's not exactly a solved problem yet.

Interesting, yeah I can see that but hopefully things move further in that direction do we'll arrive at a point where the game itself can notice: "Hey that shouldn't be possible!" instead of having to go full blanket monitoring of client-machines during a game.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Starforce thing was a shitshow and there were always suspicion that they didn't even try to replicate the issues. I will not tell you to believe me, but i know what i experienced and what i had to repair over those years.

(Even nowadays, there are some naïve people that want to get into retro PC gaming and they end up having to take their PC to me or one of the local stores because they didn't research the thing properly)

My theory is that they developed the DRM with a one and only kind of setup in mind. The 2 disc drives issues described in the video? I literally experienced that, just like becoming unable to play CD music (As i've always loved to do that while working)

Yeah, there is, and completely founded. Starforce is the most notable example for how awful it was, but it wasn't the only one.

In general, anything that installs at kernel level is not to be trusted at all. That's why Microsoft implemented driver signature verification

Oh, no, i have no issue with Valorant at all, i'm all for anti-cheating solutions. My issue is with low level access. The Ring 0 gives free access to everything, so i don't trust anything that install a that level and isn't a driver for any hardware or virtual device i have knowllingly installed.

Does Vanguard actually have a Microsoft signed Signature?

The more I think about it the more likely I see it happening that cheaters eventually will find a way to tell Valorant that Vanguard is installed and fake the checks when it's actually not and in this hypothetical scenario it's of course the person who did nothing wrong that has potential issues while cheaters don't.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering, what would people think about a compromise for Valorant and League of Legends? Have Vanguard as a requirement to be installed for Ranked games and for Unranked it doesn't need to be installed and more conventional anti-cheat methods would be used.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not. Uninstalled ESEA as soon as they pulled of this shit.. and their anticheat actually worked.

I don't really care about cheaters. You still get them anyway... like you said, nothing you can do against them. Report and go on.
Because you run into them less and they are handled faster.

I'll be honest, I don't believe you for a second that you've actually run into 3 cheaters in Valorant already. But if that keeps you from playing the game, so be it. I'm grateful that Riot is willing to let certain players go to maintain competitive integrity to the largest extent possible.

www.youtube.com

The Whole ESEA Bit-Coin Situation!

— Show More —What do you guys think about ESEA after this?r/GlobalOffensive Reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/1dgad2/esea_clien...

Worth watching.
Funny, that's mentioned right in the post you quoted!

I'm wondering, what would people think about a compromise for Valorant and League of Legends? Have Vanguard as a requirement to be installed for Ranked games and for Unranked it doesn't need to be installed and more conventional anti-cheat methods would be used.
Against. Zero tolerance for cheating. No safe spaces for piece of shit hackers.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm in no rush to give the PRC government ring-0 access on my PC just so I can play a Counter-Strike clone with less hackers.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So now attacking this shitty practice of giving the keys to our PCs to Tencent is Propaganda by hackers.
Lmao

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Because you run into them less and they are handled faster.

I'll be honest, I don't believe you for a second that you've actually run into 3 cheaters in Valorant already. But if that keeps you from playing the game, so be it. I'm grateful that Riot is willing to let certain players go to maintain competitive integrity to the largest extent possible.

Funny, that's mentioned right in the post you quoted!

Against. Zero tolerance for cheating. No safe spaces for piece of shit hackers.

That's a fair stance to take. It's really difficult but I still don't think the fight against hackers should allow for that kind of blanket security.