• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Polygon

According to fan Twitter account, ProjectAOnline, Project A's official name is Valorant. Community members discovered a Valorant website trademark from Riot, and found a dormant Twitter handle called PlayValorant. The account has never tweeted, but joined Twitter in February of 2020. It currently has 11,000 followers.
More at link. Tweets below.

Speculation is fun and the little we've seen looks really good. Shooting in particular. Not sure exactly how Riot handles these betas.. were TFT and Runterra betas released shortly after the reveal? Riot's Project A video below.
'

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I really like that there are skills but they aren't the meat of the game, they just there to support the actual gunfights.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Some impression from CS Player Henry G on twitter:

Hello! Strap yourself in. I had the chance to spend a day playing #ProjectA at Riot EU. Today, I'm allowed to share some of my initial thoughts and impressions. Please bear with me, I can't go into too much detail about the specifics of a lot of the gameplay until a later date.

If you're reading this and you're not familiar with what I do; I am known as HenryG, primarily a CS:GO commentator and former professional CS player. Down a similar vein to these upcoming tweets, I was also part of the first ever play-test of CS:GO in 2011 at Valve.

First of all, at its core, Project A is essentially a round based, 5on5, tactical shooter (most similar to CS:GO as a twitter surface level comparison), with the better (and slightly diluted) elements of class/hero based FPS games such as Overwatch or Apex Legends, for example.

In my opinion, these aforementioned classes and their own unique 'abilities' should be seen as tactical utility instead of potentially overpowered spell/ultimate combinations that other class-based games suffer from.

Generally speaking, 'abilities' primarily need to be purchased at the start of a round instead of earnt over time with the same economy reservoir as the weaponry.

The gameplay and gun mechanics are super slick and satisfying. On the build I played we experienced pretty well balanced and varied hitscan weapons that had their own unique spray patterns and best method(s) of approach for your situation or position.

Similar to CS:GO, with the economy system, you could partially invest into rounds with less-fire power to take a gamble on a round and enter with basic abilities/utility.

You can have a great time playing without having to rely *too* much on the abilities to assist you in your game.

Saying that, there's nothing more satisfying dropping a successful combo of movement mechanics abilities that isolates your opponent to buy space before pulling the trigger on the killing blow.

All classes have access to the same generic weaponry via an economy CS:GO fans wouldn't find too difficult to adjust to. **Generally speaking** a 1 bullet headshot with one of the primary rifle(s) [with any class/hero wielding it] will do enough damage to take down an opponent.

One of the most exciting elements of the game to me was the map design. They have been beautifully created and follow Counter-strikesque familiar lanes and choke points. With the focus on game-play substance, rather than flowery aesthetics.

I will be creating some initial content at a later date where I can dive into a lot more specific information. For now, I will say that this is a very exciting title that is being built by the right people that has the potential to be one of the giant titles of the FPS space.

I will leave you with this bombshell: #ProjectA is the best game I have played since CS:GO.

I want to make it extremely clear that all of these words are my own. Riot have not requested a single edit or had any problem with me being this candid. They have been refreshingly cool about this.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I AM SO HYPED for Project A. I'll prob never get into beta knowing my luck but i cannot wait for it.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
With how popular Overwatch and Counter-Strike is this has the potential to be the next big game.

Really looking forward to seeing more.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I really like that there are skills but they aren't the meat of the game, they just there to support the actual gunfights.
Yeah reading up they are a bit more like a deeper version of grenades. You buy them from the same pool as weapons so you need to sacrifice for them and it's all about the gunfights first and foremost and abilities tend to be like a more complex version of nades with different utilities.

dodo021

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why but for me the game look like all those cheap chinese FPS (CS Online 2, etc)

Gameplay side, it look interesting. Hype for the beta.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but for me the game look like all those cheap chinese FPS (CS Online 2, etc)

Gameplay side, it look interesting. Hype for the beta.
Riot is going to want this to run on as many systems PC's as possible. Also the very clean look is important for readability. I like the artstyle personally.

Found a vid that shows a lot of info including some leaks.

just roll for seduc-

oh lol

Great minds...

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Riot is going to want this to run on as many systems PC's as possible. Also the very clean look is important for readability. I like the artstyle personally.

Found a vid that shows a lot of info including some leaks.

Great minds...

Refreshing to see a YouTuber cut straight to the point. That video was nice and brief, while remaining informative.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
But why nobody love Quake... =(
Hard to master, community ends up split in several game modes (ctf, dm, tdm, duel, etc), awful experience if you're a new player since you'll probably encounter some average/great player just slaughtering everyone while hopping around at incredible speed.
I'll try to play this and diabotical since these seems to be up my alley but i'm kinda worried for the laternow...

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They are gearing up.

Twitter
Youtube
Twitch

All using this banner.
1500x500

Apparently
99wua4ln28j41.jpg

Another good impressions video.

Last edited:

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Barring shitty Riot work culture, I'm hopeful for their future output.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it ends being in the perfect mix of OW and CS.
I still think that hero abilities from OW are great (even if there's to much AOE and CC) so I'm optimistic.
The characters are a little eh tho. OWs aesthetic trumps all.

dodo021

Oct 27, 2017
Diabotical is it's last chance. In my opinion? They are just next level hard.
Hard to master, community ends up split in several game modes (ctf, dm, tdm, duel, etc), awful experience if you're a new player since you'll probably encounter some average/great player just slaughtering everyone while hopping around at incredible speed.
I'll try to play this and diabotical since these seems to be up my alley but i'm kinda worried for the laternow...

And no teammate to blame. People need game where you can say "My teammate suck, this is why a lose" haha
Diabotical is interesting but the good ol' fast FPS years are over now...

Oct 27, 2017
CSGOverwatch

Also: what does Valorant mean? Or have they just gone for a name that will Google well because it's unique?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm goddamn awful at shooters like CS, so I'm curious to see how I'd fare in a game like this. Looks a bit intense for my blood.

InPlosion

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I have not kept up with news on this one. Have they said anything about the business model they are planning to employ?
I feel they won't stray away from f2p.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Early buy menu. Kinda shows this isn't really the type of hero shooter people are used to. Weapons, health are standardized for all characters. The abilities are what sets them aparts and are more utility than say Overwatch. You also have to purchase your skills from the same funds as weapons and armor between rounds. There will be a lot of strategy at play in these loadouts.
xl83s4vw8nj41.jpg

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there's a list of over 300 servers. I'm wondering if this could be the FPS games that takes over Asia along with the US and Europe in the way that CS hasn't. With Riot and Tencents backing this game could be a massive hit there. Might be why there seems to be a lack of Gore as well.

lbnoigjormj41.jpg

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so ready for this game.

I'm sick of the BRs and Hero shooters. It's going to be so refreshing getting to experience a new team based tactical shooter coming from an elite team.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possible beta next week and Modern Warfare's BR might be revealed/released next week too. Great time for shooter fans.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear the abilities are meant for utility and complement the shooting rather than be the "Press Q to win" that is Overwatch.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Apparently there's a list of over 300 servers. I'm wondering if this could be the FPS games that takes over Asia along with the US and Europe in the way that CS hasn't. With Riot and Tencents backing this game could be a massive hit there. Might be why there seems to be a lack of Gore as well.

lbnoigjormj41.jpg
Crossfire is the biggest shooter in Asia right now, so that's the target to hit.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Definitely excited to try this out, someone I know has played it and said it's pretty fun. Won't replace CSGO in my opinion, but 1 hit headshots has me excited.

Take more from CSGO and not Overwatch, please!