• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rufuscrim

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Big story out of Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/riot-settles-lawsuit-will-pay-every-female-employee-si-1840156366
(Edit: originally reported by LA Times)

Riot Games will pay out a huge $10 million proposed settlement collectively to every woman who has been employed by the company at any time over the last five years. The settlement is one of the largest in California history for a gender discrimination suit, says the plaintiff's lawyer.

On how it will be distributed:
A copy of the proposed settlement obtained by Kotaku notes that each lawsuit participant will receive some amount of money determined by "their tenure, length and status" as an employee. One reason for the large sum is to make up for what plaintiffs' lawyer determined was a significant difference in salary between men and women at the company.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Wow. I wonder how that works out for each employee after their years worked, lawyers, fees and whatnot.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to those affected and the win they pulled off here. I hope Riot continues to change but the article notes that problematic male executives still get a paycheck from Riot.
She continued, "It's difficult to heal and move on when we are faced with the reality that at the end of the day, Riot prefers to pay the women still here for the trouble of continuing to work with alleged abusers."

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to those affected and the win they pulled off here. I hope Riot continues to change but the article notes that problematic male executives still get a paycheck from Riot.

To expand on this, there have been comments by current female employees who have stated that things have gotten better, and if I'm not mistaken, they also hired an executive who purposely works on employment culture for women within the company.

I'm hoping that Riot continue to improve. With regards to the male executives, hopefully they are changing and if not, leave within the near future.

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
10 million seems like a slap on the wrist and the COO Scott Gelb (and others) still work there...

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Until they fire the guy who farts in peoples' faces during meetings, nothing will be enough.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The toxic executives should've been pushed out but at least the former employees got some justice.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
To expand on this, there have been comments by current female employees who have stated that things have gotten better, and if I'm not mistaken, they also hired an executive who purposely works on employment culture for women within the company.

I'm hoping that Riot continue to improve. With regards to the male executives, hopefully they are changing and if not, leave within the near future.
Yup there was another article about this as far as I can remember.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

fines arent good as deterrents for businesses if they're essentially a marginal expense compared to that companies revenue or even profit line.

ergo, they're just the cost of doing business.

league alone generated 1.4 billion dollars in 2018.

that's 70 cents of "fines" for every hundred dollars league brings in.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, though it's a drop in the bucket compared to all the shit the employees had to live through. No amount of money will ever cover that (and let's be honest, Riot won't even feel it.)

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
From follow-up articles to the controversy, it sounds like the problems in Riot are getting addressed which is good to hear.

But the tech industry in general needs to cut out the toxic bro culture. It's like a corporate fraternity.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
But the wage gap is a lie! Look at this carefully crafted graph I have made to prove this.

Congrats to the women at Riot

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is certainly a good thing, as are other remedial actions Riot has taken, but as the quote at the end of the Kotaku article indicates;
"It's great that Riot has decided to compensate women for the abuse they suffered here, but their rhetoric about 'healing and moving on' leaves something to be desired." She continued, "It's difficult to heal and move on when we are faced with the reality that at the end of the day, Riot prefers to pay the women still here for the trouble of continuing to work with alleged abusers."
things could still be better.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So are they also adjusting salaries to make up for the gender difference? A settlement is nice, but fixing the issue is just as, if not more, important

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Kudos and the women deserve it but Riot still hasn't addressed the problem. The abusers are still there...

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
10M ? Shit doesn't even buy you two admiral class starships in Star Citizen..smh

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The big part: "It's great that Riot has decided to compensate women for the abuse they suffered here, but their rhetoric about 'healing and moving on' leaves something to be desired." She continued, "It's difficult to heal and move on when we are faced with the reality that at the end of the day, Riot prefers to pay the women still here for the trouble of continuing to work with alleged abusers."

Nothing to add from me. Nobody won and Riot will just write most of this off from their taxes if their accountants are good enough.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see this thread created but this was posted today at Kotaku.

https://kotaku.com/riot-settles-lawsuit-will-pay-every-female-employee-si-1840156366

My choice quotes below, obviously click the article for full details:

Riot Games will pay out a huge $10 million proposed settlement collectively to every woman who has been employed by the company at any time over the last five years. The settlement is one of the largest in California history for a gender discrimination suit, says the plaintiff's lawyer.

Ryan Saba, the plaintiffs' lawyer, said in a statement that "This shows that Riot is serious about changing the culture at the company." Riot told Kotaku in an email that "We are pleased that a proposed settlement to fully resolve the class action lawsuit against Riot was filed recently by plaintiffs counsel. The settlement is another important step forward, and demonstrates our commitment to living up to our values and to making Riot an inclusive environment for the Industry's best talent." Riot linked to a blog post further elaborating on their perspective.

Over the last year, Riot has undertaken several steps to mitigate its culture of sexism, including overhauling its recruitment, hiring and promotion processes; offering clearer job descriptions; removing problem employees; bringing in third-party culture consultants and a diversity director; appointing women into leadership positions; and offering employees channels to offer feedback on their progress.

Slow but steady progress in the right direction and this is obviously huge for the women that are about to get compensated for the wage gap previously. Props to Cecilia for continuing to shine a light on Riot Games to hold them up to scrutiny.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't see this thread created but this was posted today at Kotaku.

https://kotaku.com/riot-settles-lawsuit-will-pay-every-female-employee-si-1840156366

My choice quotes below, obviously click the article for full details:

Slow but steady progress in the right direction and this is obviously huge for the women that are about to get compensated for the wage gap previously. Props to Cecilia for continuing to shine a light on Riot Games to hold them up to scrutiny.